Sugar Hill Inn
116 Route 117
Sugar Hill, NH 03586Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $50 and over
Sugar Hill Inn
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.sugarhillinn.com/
- Phone: 6038235621
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Thursday - Monday: 6:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Val Fortin
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Fireplace, Full Bar, View, Wine
A word from Sugar Hill Inn
Sugar Hill Inn is a romantic getaway known for culinary adventure. We have a European philosophy about dining. The table is yours for the evening. Take your time to enjoy the candlelight, cozy fire and amazing views with the combination of great food, wine and conversation. Our four course menu offers a well balance symphony of flavors and leads guests through a leisurely, romantic and artistic culinary experience. Great wines and a full bar selection enhances the experience. The Sugar Hill Inn has received the Distinguished Restaurants of North America (DiRoNA)"s Achievement of Distinction in Dining award for 2009! Member of the Select Registry, 2008 Yankee Magazine Editors' Choice and featured in "Everyday with Rachel Ray.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sugar Hill Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
romantic (14)special occasion (11)scenic view (11)fit for foodies (9)notable wine list (5)neighborhood gem (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great foodtucsonanneDined on 9/8/2014We had a memorable dinner at the Sugar Hill Inn. We had given up trying to find a good restaurant in the north country, but now we know there is one. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014My girlfriend and I stayed at the Inn and ate dinner in the restaurant. The dinner was delicious and the atmosphere was very quiet and enjoyable. I had the duck and she had the scallops. Both were perfectly cooked and the presentation was beautiful. The wait staff is very friendly and were quick to clear the plates and offer another drink. We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner here as well as our stay on the grounds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An eating adventureAnnieDined on 8/30/2014There is an outstanding chef at this quaint lodge. At first we were taken aback by the small portions, until we tasted them..... Each and every mouthful was a carefully created mixture of texture and flavor. Every course was an experience. The menu changes daily, but if it's on the menu, order the "duck three ways," it was incredible. The $65 prix fixe for the four courses was well worth the money. The service is outstanding; reservations are spread out in such a way that you have your server's undivided attention. Also, the extensive wine list has excellent wines at very reasonable prices. There are many wines in the $40 range that are wonderful. Truly fine dining in a country inn.Special Features:
- Enchanting experiencedinersdeliteDined on 8/23/2014From the comfortable big chairs to the last sip of wine, it was a wonderful experience. The food presentation was outstanding and the types of food offered were extraordinary and delicious! Waitress was truly catering to us. Hope to eat there again -- SOON!Special Features:
- OK service ; extraordinary priceD1672Dined on 8/14/2014I made reservations for my birthday at the Sugar Hill Inn expecting a special experience. We were greeted warmly and seated at a lovely table. However,our server, while cordial, never acknowledged my birthday and was on minimally attentive. She did not inquire about drinks or wine with dinner and we had to request both. The Prix Fixe menu was limited and the portions were microscopic. An App of one oz. of tuna + pork belly or a tiny ramekin of crème Brule is unsatisfactory. We expected smaller portions but for the price there was no value and we were hungry in an hour! Sugar Hill is trying too hard to be exclusive but they miss the mark. We would not recommend them. We feel that is was an ordinary experience for an extraordinary price!
- Great Place for RomanceKaren4VIPDined on 8/14/2014The Sugar Hill Inn is a lovely place for those who are looking for a charming, quintessential New England get-away. The innkeeper, Steve, is a wonderful host, and the pretty dining room is a wonderful place for a special meal. Chef Val's cuisine is delicious and beautifully presented. There's a great wine list, and service is friendly and professional.Special Features:
- Great 30th Anniversary WeekendNHsurpriseDined on 8/9/2014We celebrated our wedding anniversary at the Sugar Hill Inn and were delighted start to finish. We appreciated the historical tour at check-in, and found our room to be comfortable and well appointed. Dinner was drinks and appetizers at the bar. The local veggies and use of cheeses in our salads was a nice surprise. Breakfast in the morning continued our great experience with the food here - homemade muffins, fresh fruit, waffles and eggs with asparagus and cheddar were superb. We hiked all day Saturday, but made sure to get back to the inn in time to clean up, swim in the pool (cool, refreshing), sit with a drink on the front porch and then enjoy the Inn's 4-course dinner. This is one of the best "restaurants" we've dined in!Special Features:
- Very disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/19/2014We had been here before and had a nice dinner. Not so this time. We felt that the chef tried too hard to be fancy and fell way too short. The salad had more cheese than lettuce and the special was served cold, was very chewy and accompanied by some unusual vegetable choices. We probably will not return again.Special Features:
- FreddieDined on 6/14/2014Wonderful place to celebrate a special occasion. Very quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 104 reviews are from the Sugar Hill Inn reviews archive.
- Perfect in every way!luv2hikeDined on 5/25/2014We spent a weekend at the Sugar Hill Inn and couldn't be happier with our visit. While we felt pampered, the inn was not 'stuffy'. We are casual people and felt right at home. The gourmet dinner was probably the best we have ever eaten in 33 years of marriage. The bed was comfortable, robes in the closet, chocolate on the bedside table-- what more could we ask? We would definitely return for a special occasion weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything about the mealLoonMtnDined on 2/17/2014Everything about the meal at the Inn was superb! Truly a unique spot in the White Mountains. There is nothing I would change.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was outstandingGrandyVIPDined on 2/15/2014Everything was outstanding from the moment we arrive at Sugar Hill. The ceasar salad was vey unique and very tasty! The trio of soups was just perfect. I thought 3 soups might be too much but there was just enough of a taste of each to make a serving. The chowder and ham and split pea soups were delicious. Didn't care much for the asparagus soup. The entrees were done to perfection! The atmosphere is very romantic and comfortable. The big stuffed chairs were nice and comfy! There was live music which added to the romance of the evening. It was just wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't get better than this!FoodieDined on 2/2/2014If you are fortunate enough to visit the North Country, a stay at the Sugar Hill Inn will make you wish to return time and again! The Inn is charming and the rooms graciously appointed for guests with the best of linens and decor. Fresh home baked goodies and cookies await you, roaring fires, and the finest dining in the region. The Chef dinners on weekends are a five star experience. But the breakfast at the Inn is so wonderful- wish every day could begin like that. The breakfast is served on white linens with fresh flowers, and you are seated in upholstered furniture that is gorgeous and comfortable. The picture windows reveal the mountains in the near distance, yet wash the room with pleasant morning light. The omelets are incredible!Special Features:
- Fantastic all aroundNhGuysDined on 1/10/2014The setting is a modern quaint historic New England inn, which set off a great evening. The service was attentive but not pushy. The food was impeccable. It was a 4 course prix fixe, very well priced, perfectly portioned, and exquisitely done. We would highly recommend to anyone in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/16/2013The dining room is tastefully decorated with comfortable upholstered armchairs. The room was quiet although more than two thirds full...great acoustics. Our table by the fire was romantic. The service was wonderful. Our wait person was helpful and prompt. Each course was thoughtfully prepared. We loved the chef's new interpretations of classics. The appetizer surf and turf that night was pork belly and ahi, ordered by my companion but thankfully shared with me....mouth watering The Caesar salad in a frico cup was amazing. Both entrees were fabulous, rack of lamb and tenderloin cooked to perfection. Finished with a silky maple crime brûlée . We will definitely make plans to return to The inn at sugar hill. We'll done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- May be one of the best meals ever!NorthernNHDined on 11/2/2013Everything about the meal was perfect. The food was absolutely exceptional, the service was great and unobtrusive, the dining room was intimate, and the timing of the courses perfect. We've been driving by this location for years but never had an opportunity to dine. If you want a special occasion meal that will be fantastic, go here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!HoneymoonDined on 10/31/2013This place is perfect in many ways! Ambiance, location, service and food are all perfect. Loved it and can't wait to go again. Would like to stay here as well. We went for dinner the last day of our honeymoon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service even with a power outage.YanivDined on 10/7/2013A freak thunderstorm hit earlier in the day leaving the town without power so we weren't expecting the restaurant to be operational. We were surprised to see that the restaurant had a backup generator that kept the kitchen up and running. Our food came out a little slower than expected, but what can you expect when you are running your whole kitchen from one generator. Lots of time spent at the bar to converse with people from different locations. Food was good and atmosphere was pleasant.Special Features:
- Awesome experianceBeauty1985Dined on 10/6/2013We are from Boston and had been to many restaurants for fine dinning at various places.I had date night with my fiance on his birthday when we went to see fall colors in NH and we were so pleased with wonderful service and fine dinning at sugar hill Inn. Owner is really nice and they have provided very nice service. Best place in that area for romantic dining. We so truly recommend it for couples.Special Features:
- Very good overallkeithmVIPDined on 9/1/2013The food was very good, but not quite excellent for me. I'll explain..The soup trio was outstanding, I mean really great. The main dish for me was to be the horseradish crusted tenderloin. They accidently gave me the bone in sirloin,instead. I didn't send it back as to not unbalance the time frame of our meal. The steak was very good, but this type of cut is usually quite fatty. This turned out to be the case.Richard's Pork Shank was excellent. The desserts were excellent as usual. Mine was the panna cotta & Richard's was the chocolate walnut tart. Well definately still go back.Overall still the best restaurant in the region.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/29/2013Beautiful Inn, excellent service and delicious dinner. Hats off to Steve, the Inn Keeper, Dan, our server and to the incredible chef, Val. Oh, and don't forget Katy the dog!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SH InnGWMVTDined on 8/19/2013Chef Val is simply amazing, one of the best dinners I've ever had, anywhere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Exquisite 4 Course Meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/17/2013We were on our way back from a trip to Quebec and booked a night at the inn with dinner to break up the long drive. The trio of soups was wonderful especially the corn soup with truffle oil and I had a caesar salad unlike any I have ever had. I was still full the next morning but enjoyed breakfast too.....scrambled eggs with cheese and herbs and a wonderful maple raison muffin! Yum......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect meal and experienceLK46Dined on 7/22/2013This was our third dinner at Sugar Hill Inn, and a celebration of a major birthday for my husband. It was a perfect experience. Every bite and taste, from the amuse bouche, through a four course prix fixe menu with several choices for each course, to the coffee was delicious and an outstanding value at $63 per person. It amazes me that such a small dining room can retain a talented chef of this caliber. I love the setting and ambiance of the dining room and the hominess of the Inn in general.Special Features:
- We went here recently, andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/28/2013We went here recently, and while it was not the best meal I have ever had, it was very good. We had a quiet dinner at a table with a cute view and the waiter was very attentive. We had a reservation for 6pm and arrived early to enjoy some wine which we were allowed to bring out onto the porch. The grounds are beautiful and we had perfect weather. We didn't stay here since we live in the area, but would definitely recommend it to someone looking for a cute B&B in the country.
- extraordinary in every way...tsm1Dined on 6/27/2013A wonderful culinary experience served with grace and warmth. The food is exceptional.Special Features:
- CALLING ALL FOODIESFoodieDined on 6/22/2013Not only should this be a three star place, it is in a quiet , beautiful, intimate yet spacious room of the historic inn. Try the caesar salad in the parmesan crust shell! The filet with the red wine/shallot reduction sauce was the best I have ever had. This is the way to enjoy an evening without feeling rushed and crushed. Dining does not get any better than this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic, as alwaysfoodieDined on 6/20/2013This was our fourth stay at the Sugar Hill Inn, and part of the draw of the place is its outstanding restaurant. The fact that it takes three hours of driving to get there should tell you a lot. The prix fix is fantastic value, with three courses (appetizer, salad, entree) and dessert, as well as amuse bouche and olives and bakery. I don't normally eat this much, but no matter what we order, neither of us leaves a crumb behind. Chef Val definitely knows what he is doing in the kitchen, his creations are vibrant and subtle. Some of them are unusual (V8 sorbet, anyone?) and others are always on the menu, but all are uniformly delicious. The wine list is huge, service is excellent, and atmosphere is relaxed and romantic - we love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Best in NHnh2lidoDined on 6/15/2013The Sugar Hill Inn is one of the best restaurants in NH, and we've visited many. Expect to spend a number of hours since each course comes out slowly, carefully prepared, beautifully presented and delicious. This was our second visit, and we chose this venue for our anniversary. No regrets!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant is exceptional.LumboDined on 6/14/2013This restaurant is exceptional. The pre-fixe menu is well proportioned and the service staggered enough to fully enjoy each course. It was an anniversary date, and we were very happy. They also have a very nice wine list.Special Features:
- a little too quietOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/8/2013On Thursday i made an Open Table reservation for a Sat. night, and the only available table was at 8:15. I phoned Sat. morning to see if an earlier table had opened up. I was told, after some deliberation and hesitation, that they could fit us in at 7:00. Perfect. We were encouraged to arrive a little early to have a drink in the bar. Perfect. When we arrived the restaurant was entirely empty. No one but the host and, I suppose, the kitchen staff. We were the only diners until about 8:00 when a party of 2 arrived. It was a very odd experience, and I don't understand why getting a table was such a challenge when there was no one else there. Otherwise, excellent food, good service, and a warm comfortable setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was a very pricey dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/2/2013This was a very pricey dinner in a beautiful setting. Food was plentiful - more even than the four courses expected. The bread and olives which started the meal were outstanding. My salad was fairly ordinary but husband's first course (risotto, asparagus, pancetta, & egg) was outstanding. Husband's steak arrived cold; I think it had sat for some time before delivery. I believe this to be the case since when just beginning the first course, chef said he had to excuse himself and take the steak off the heat! My creme brulee cheesecake arrived without any brulee so chef apologized and re-did it. Drinks were excellent and the amount of wine poured for a glass was very generous. In general, food was very good but didn't amaze - waiter was great!Special Features:
- Romantic innOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/25/2013this place is a hidden jem, the owners are very friendly and take pride in there inn. chef was awesome, food was excellent, staff very friendly,one of my new favorite spots. we cant wait to go back.Special Features:
- A yearly delight!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/25/2013Each year we travel to northern NH to ski and stay at the Sugar Hill Inn and look forward to the dining experience there. A diverse menu expertly prepared and served makes this a wonderful evening. A fully stocked bar and they are very knowledgeable on wines and even hosts a wine dinner to feature wines.Special Features:
- This was our third experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/21/2013This was our third experience at the inn for dinner. The service is really outstanding-the food is memorable. Not for people who love a huge menu and variety of food. Very tiny menu with choices that would not appeal to the masses. Perfect for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Wonderful, calm, relaxingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/26/2013Wonderful, calm, relaxing environment. Wait staff was very professional and polite. The food was creative and absolutely amazing. My husband and I loved the whole experience.Special Features:
- The restaurant has an extremelyOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/18/2013The restaurant has an extremely small kitchen, which means that they can effectively serve only one table at a time. The reservations are staggered at 15 minute intervals so that one table starts every fifteen minutes. If a party arrives late for their reservation the entire schedule is pushed back to maintain the 15 minute spacing. The food was good. It could be very good or great, however, if the chef had staff to help him prepare the dishes more rapidly. My entree had great flavor but arrived at the table cold. When I brought this to the waiter's attention, he said that my meal had rested while the rest of my party's meals were prepared and that he could "warm it up for me" in an unapologetic tone.
- All we can say is "EXCELLENT"OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/23/2012All we can say is "EXCELLENT" The owner of the inn is so friendly and sweet. The chef is amazing to say the least, the wait staff is very informative and on the spot you cannot ask for more. If your traveling or not check out The Sugar Hill Inn...Special Features:
- Absolutely fabulous ThanksgivingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2012Absolutely fabulous Thanksgiving dinner at the Sugar Hill Inn. The food, ambiance, and service were all outstanding. Very creative and truly gourmet menu.Special Features:
- Sugar Hill Inn & Restaurant a MUST!Gr8expectationsDined on 11/22/2012What a wonderful visit we had in Sugar Hill, New Hampshire. We actually stayed on the property Thanksgiving evening. The Inn was quaint, very clean, warm, inviting and the food and service were impeccable. Thanks for a lovely experience.Special Features: