Sugar Cane Maui
736 Front Street
Lahaina, HI 96761Neighborhood:
Hawaii Regional CuisinePrice: $30 and under
Sugar Cane Maui
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sugarcanemaui.com/
- Phone: (808) 214-6662
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 8:00am - 11:30am
Daily: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Daily: 5:00pm - Midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Hawaii Regional Cuisine, Pan-Asian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Philippe Chin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We will consider all your needs for your next catered affair, from casual party trays too formal seated black tie weddings and events. Philippe Chin's and Sugar Cane Maui team is your partner for the best and most memorable party ever.
A word from Sugar Cane Maui
Serving Breakfast, lunch and dinner and late night PuPu's~ And while your there, enjoy a heavenly cup of Island- Blend French Press Coffee, one of their Signature Drinks or an icy cold Long Board Draft, on the gorgeous lanai overlooking the harbor....Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerHawaii Regional Cuisine
Sugar Cane Maui - Best Restaurants in Lahaina ›
Sugar Cane Maui reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (15)neighborhood gem (11)fit for foodies (10)great for outdoor dining (10)special occasion (8)good for groups (7)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (5)romantic (5)great for brunch (4)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- DissapointedTleafDined on 11/23/2014I was expecting great things when I entered this restaurant- I had heard marvelous things about the chef and was excited to go- They were running a lobster special on Sundays from 4 to closing that I had read about in the local paper- they were suppose to give you 50% off - I was ordering from that special and my husband was ordering a full price entree- i was given grief when I tried to order it being told that we had to order 2 lobster specials which was not what the article said- but they had changed their minds and had changed the special which was ridiculous because they were making more money this way- in the long run they let me have my seafood risotto for half off- which was a bout what it was worth- very little seafood and portion the size of an appetizer- Great waiter Brandon- will not be returning
- Almost there...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014This place seemed really promising and their menu seemed really creative. However, many of their dishes didn't live up to all the hype of the menu. The monchong and ahi were actually very good and I would order them again in a heartbeat. The wasabi mashed potatoes were amazing! On the other hand the seafood risotto and petite filet left a lot be desired. Both lacked flavor. The ingedients were all very interesting but the flavor just fell flat. my biggest gripe about this place might be the price. Each of our meals was 30-40 dollars a piece. Although hawaii is expensive I expected more from a place charging so much for food. I think it's important to mention that the service was great. The staff was attentive and knowledgable.Special Features:
- Not as good as expectedtravelendDined on 11/7/2014We had previously experienced a very good lunch at Sugar Cane Maui and decided to take friends and go for Dinner. With an aversion to gluten in our family, we found that our menu choices were limited to basically salads and even some of those were questionable. The fusion concept is good, but a wider menu selection would make this a much more enjoyable experience
- New finds on MauiFoodjunkiesVIPDined on 11/6/2014Kung pao calamari was one of the largest and best appetizers we have ever had anywhere. Rest of dinner was also very good. Loco moco for breakfast was unique and very good. Great location and very good service and reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Best lobster everOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/30/2014I was rather surprised when we arrived at 5:45 and the place was empty. We were led to a table on the cool breezy balcony overlooking the setting sun and the foot traffic on Front Street. We had a great waitress, very attentive service and a wonderful meal. We had spent three nights eating in the "hotspots" where we were served over-cooked Mahi Mahi by indifferent servers. We ate at Hula Grill, Fleetwoods and Dukes, and Sugar Cane is the only one that I would be anxious to go back to. Great place to watch the sunset with a view of the harbor and great people watching. Make sure and try the Brussels sprouts, yummySpecial Features:
- Surprise Gem!Luv2dine2VIPDined on 10/24/2014A Gem of quality food, price, service, ambiance, value and what a beautiful scenic view on front street in Lahaina... This place is worth you effort to get their and experience the quality... FOOD was one of the best in the city!Special Features:
- Seafood in MauiPaulKenVIPDined on 10/16/2014We were seated on the balcony overlooking Front Treet in Lahania. The seafood was nicely prepared and reasonably priced. Service was attentive and helpful. Desert portions were small and overpriced. Overall a very good dining experience.Special Features:
- A big disappointment!EnjoyableVIPDined on 10/15/2014The first indication we were in trouble was when we walked in 30 minutes early for our reservations and they said, "Oh, you must be our 7:00 pm reservation." Also, there were more waitstaff than customers. My wine was not good, the lettuce in the salad was limp with a tasteless dressing, both our entrees were overdone, steak for my husband, and I had the seared ahi tuna. When we sat down there were bread and butter plates on the table which the waitstaff removed when they brought our entrees. We then asked for bread and they were surprised we would be interested. They did not return the plates. Very odd service! By the time the dessert menu arrived we could not wait to leave.
- Great experience!BakerDined on 8/31/2014Wife and I had reservations on their lanai for sunset time. Great harbor view over Lahaina Front St. Must-do for location, happy hour drinks and pupus. The calamari is the best my wife and I have ever had, and it's one of our go-to apps.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchKIGMAUIVIPDined on 8/31/2014On August 31st I visited Sugar Cane Maui to support their new Sunday Brunch efforts. This was about my fourth visit to Sugar Cane Maui. In August they offered 50% off for local, Kama`aina guests. If that had not been the case, I would state the the menu entrees were a little pricey. The food was good, although the souffle ordered had fallen - not a pretty presentation. Then Lobster Benedict was tasty! The space and the view are great. The food is good. The Happy Hour is great! The problem is the service. Perhaps they cannot over-staff, but one waiter and a helper for Sunday Brunch didn't make for a good experience. Luckily the bartender pitched in. Hopefully these bumps will straighten out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Undiscovered gemLivetoeatDined on 8/23/2014Best meal I had on Maui. Something - lots really - for everyone. Restaurant is still less than a year old so word of mouth is building. I took a chance and it was great. Great drinks, options for vegetarians and our meat lovers. Terrific and friendly service. Unbelievable desserts. Went back TWICE during my stay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Poke Nachos we have ever hadOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/10/2014Great staff, friendly and very helpful. The food was great, we are planning on going back during our stay on Maui.Special Features:
- DisappointingRichDined on 8/8/2014A very warm and friendly welcome from our server (who continued to try his best for us despite the long wait for food to arrive) and ice cold draft beer were the only positives from this experience. I've eaten all over the world, trying all sorts of foods at all restaurant levels in all sorts of random places. I rarely complain and I'm no food snob. Unfortunately though this was one of the worse meals I've ever eaten out. Given it's central location if they could get the food sorted it would no doubt be a roaring success. Until then I'll pass.
- disappointedhakuihanaVIPDined on 7/31/2014Much to our disappointment, especially after having read other user reviews, our experience with both the food and the service left us with a feeling of regret. The selections on the menu seems to be lacking a cohesive identity, leaving diners with a fat bill wondering and what this restaurant is trying to be: a fried food joint, or a destination where culinary talent claims to unveils itself at the table.
- Must Have The Ahi Nachos!KevinVIPDined on 7/30/2014This place was referred to us by someone who was on Maui just before us. The food, location, views were outstanding. Our waiter, JJ was also very good. I did feel however that there were a lot of service people roaming around and they could have assigned more help to our table of 10. Now, the service wasn't enough to turn me off to this spot...the food was definitely enough to get us back. Everything we had was excellent including their burger, ahi nachos, brussels sprouts and steak and blue salad. Creative and fun menu!Special Features:
- The following 54 reviews are from the Sugar Cane Maui reviews archive.
- KismetLauraVIPDined on 7/25/2014We booked a table at Mamas Fish House when we let them know we would be a few minutes late... We were disappointed and really thought a not-very-Hawaiian response that we were not welcome and they were closing - after driving more than 40 minutes from our hotel. The good news was, we headed back to our hotel, and booked a table at Sugar Cane via open table. You saved the night. We were greeted very happily when we arrived. The food was awesome. The "nachos" rocked with the crazy fresh tuna, wasabi and arugula and fried tortilla bits - a true winner. Our entrees were both creative delicious. we had a truly delish evening and want to thank Mamas for not accommodating us. We learned that Phillip Chinn is the ONLY master chef on Maui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014We only we to Sugar Cane as a result of Open Table. We sat on the balcony overlooking the bay and a lovely sunset (they all are in Maui). Service was very attentive. Live music was excellent. We ordered 7 different small dishes from the tapas menu and they were all very tasty. My kids got generous portions from the kids menu. Prices were very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Hidden Gem!MauifindVIPDined on 7/19/2014We stumbled across this hidden gem on Maui. It was our last day on the island. We originally went in for a glass of wine. The staff was awesome! While sitting there overlooking the sunset across the ocean. We read the menu and couldn't resist trying the Chef's 5-course prefix menu. I canx my previous dinner reservation and booked with Sugar Cane. Master Chef Philippe Chin's attention to detail with flavors and wine pairing were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hidden gem.OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/17/2014solid food. great view of lahaina strip. Surprised it was so empty but they haven't been open that long. Hope they stick around. Prices are reasonable. Good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real culinary talentJakeDined on 7/11/2014Phillippe Chin is doing the most inventive cooking we found on Maui. The lobster-shrimp fondue was a terrific conception -- sort of a classic Newburgh reborn as a fondue, chock full of lobster and shrimp. The crab beignets were superb. Steak and bleu salad might have used a touch less assertive vinegar (try white vinegar?) but was fine. Tapas portions were generous. This is a great change from the sameness of generic Maui-resort cuisine.Special Features:
- SurprisedImprezzadrvrDined on 7/8/2014It's so wonderful to find a restaurant that can present something different on this island besides different takes on over salted teriyaki chicken. This menu is so fresh and wonderful and the Tapas are all different from anything I've had on Maui. I continue to push this restaurant on my friends and family because it really is a hidden gem on the island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A treat to find this new place!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/27/2014We were walking by and this place had a lady out front sharing pau hana specials, trying to bring in business. She happened to find us when we were hot and ready for a nice maitai. A beautiful somewhat new (less than a year) place with contemporary plantation style decor and very clean. Drinks we fantastic and you really can't beat a well made, fresh, 5.00 maitai. Unheard of especially on Maui. So let's move to the food. We were shocked by the presentation, portion size, fusion of flavors for the price. Sugar Can Maui did not disappoint. Chef Chin is amazing as were the wait staff. We went back a 2nd time with friends visiting from Oahu. We were all shocked again as we're used to the overpriced and/or not as tasty waikiki scene.Special Features:
- Great views of Lahaina coast!SweetbloodDined on 6/27/2014Nice place. The service was almost too attentive (if that's possible) and the food was excellent. Reserve a table on the balcony, if possible, for the best experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A best of MauiOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/25/2014This by far, was the best place I ate while on Maui.This great find has a unique menu clearly designed by a creative chef who is sensitive to the local fare but offers a great twist to the dishes.The service is great! Everyone you encounter is accommodating, genuine and pleasant. We decided to come back here throughout our 9 day trip to sample different dishes because we loved everything we ordered. I talked to Gallery owners down Front Street and they indicated that Sugar Cane Maui has been several different eateries. It is an upstairs restaurant which allows for spectacular views - but is not as visible from the street and foot traffic. Take it from a foodie who is a journalist and travels the world... this is a "must eat"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really wanted to like itletsgoVIPDined on 6/20/2014Went here on a whim, seated quickly and waiter was very attentive at first. Ordered 2 drinks and 4 apps. 15 mins for drinks 40 mins for apps. brussel sprouts were a brown mass and over cooked, wedge salad was pretty but had zero taste and almost no dressing. Chicken wings were a little slimy(not crispy) green beans were very good. Nice location but won't return, being a local its unfortunate.
- kp1010Dined on 6/10/2014One of the best steaks in Maui and not $50-$100 (: nice atmosphere would go again and again!Special Features:
- excellentDaveDined on 5/26/2014Food was beautifully presented and great sauces on fish & chicken entries.. the puppy sampler was excelespecially the Brussels sprouts. Ask for a table on the balcony for great sunset views.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- new gem on islandMarkonMauiVIPDined on 5/24/2014amazing food, great location a must visit while on Island!Special Features:
- FoodSFahadDined on 5/22/2014Ordered mahi mahi dish and it was pretty plain like no flavor at all. Recommended to use few different sauces for flavor but sauces were plain too. Fish was burned. Waiter was really nice and didn't not charge for plate. View and customer service was great but taste less food and way over priced.Special Features:
- Best Service Ever!JessicaVIPDined on 5/21/2014The restaurant happened to be out of a particular cut of beef for a coffee-rubbed steak, and our waiter actually ran to the local butcher shop to purchase a similar cut so a person in our party could have the entree they ordered. Wow! The service would have been phenomenal even without the run to the butcher store, but that really just set the bar higher for everyone else. As for the food? Holy smokes - you'll be impressed. For a relatively quiet place that's really just getting going, the menu will blow you away. Everything on our table was devoured, but some of our favorites were the beignets, croquettes, and brussels sprouts as far as appetizers go. Really can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little gemKmz83Dined on 5/19/2014Awesome food but skimpy drinks. I would definitely return again. Our waiter was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a yes...xx4funxxVIPDined on 5/16/2014We Did The Tapas And Drinks. Food Was Delicious, Enjoyed The Variety. Don't Expect A Quick Meal, Instead Sit Back And Enjoy. The Staff Was OUTSTANDING.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the TapasLilliDined on 5/12/2014A very nice selection of tapas suitable for a group but some were only suitable for 1 or 2 diners. It would be helpful if the menu stated how many items would be on a plate e.g. grilled prawns - 3.Special Features:
- Awesome customer service!LuvmauifoodDined on 5/11/2014We had brunch and dinner for Mother's Day there and both meals were great! Tony the manager was so accommodating and really treated my family and myself as if we we're important people. :) The monchong was wonderful as well as the shrimp and flat iron steak. Loved ahi tataki and desserts were to die for! We will soon be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food! Delightful SurpriseShaughnGDined on 5/8/2014Sugarcane Maui is winning hearts and minds and appetites with amazing food, generous discounts in May and a quiet calm dining room with a view of ocean. Ahi nachos, short-ribs, filet mignon, ahi tuna steak and vegetable risotto were highlights. Tony the MOD was very accommodating and convinced that we are coming back for Mother's Day with our party of 12. We live in Ka'anapali and go out a lot. The food was on par with Bev Gannon's restaurant. The pricing was excellent and set to encourage new diners. A cut below Lahaina Grill but very pleasing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemMarkonMauiVIPDined on 5/7/2014Truly innovative food, fresh and delicious. The Monchong and Short Ribs are amazing!Special Features:
- Early bird specialOspreyalDined on 4/27/2014Enjoyed the early bird special $24 three course dinner. Great sampler appie, choice of three entrees (had the Mahi Mahi which was great-so were the short ribs my wife had) followed by pineapple upside down cake. And watched the sunset from an open window table. Can't get much better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding First ImpressionKiki63VIPDined on 4/16/2014Great service along with great food. Our favorites were the Ahi Nachos, Shrimp and Ahi dinner. We loved so much went back the next day for their Tapas after 8pm Menu. We were just impressed with this menu!! Absolutely love this dining experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only had the tapas.Palo0730Dined on 4/12/2014Went here for the 50% off tapas menu after 8p.m. on a Saturday night. The food was tasty and at 50% off the regular menu price. It's one of the better food deals on in lahaina. We had the crab beignets, stuffed wedge salad, chicken tempura, sausage slider, faux gras, firecracker chicken wings, brussels sprouts, and the smoked bacon croquettes. All this food for $33. The crab beignets had a lot of crab in them by still light and fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside. This was my favorite dish from the night and my least favorite were the Brussels sprouts which were suppose to have a vanilla component to the dish but we couldn't taste or smell any. After trying the tapas menu now I want to try the regular menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch in LahainaUpstate1RayDined on 4/7/2014I blindly choose this restaurant while still in NY state for a place to have dinner since i would be in the area. Couldn't ask for much better service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.