254 West 72nd Street
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
CaribbeanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sugarbarnyc.com/
- Phone: 2125790222
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Caribbean, Soul food
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Sugar Bar is ready to cater your next corporate or family occasion.
- Private Party Facilities: Sugar Bar would love to host your next private function.
- Private Party Contact: Steve Abreu 2125790222
- Entertainment: Live entertainment and open mic night every Thursday evening. A cover charge applies during show hours. The cover charge is usually $10 but may be more depending on the entertainment of the evening. Please call us or check our calendar page on our website for specifics.
A word from Sugar Bar
We are talking sweet music, soul-stirring riffs, runs and melodies in a cozy environment, with delectable cuisine you can find only at Ashford & Simpson’s Sugar Bar. Presenting a fresh alternative to the mundane, the Sugar Bar, is an intimate full service restaurant, showcasing local and international talent, from R&B/Soul, Jazz, and Caribbean to traditional African rhythms. Intimately immersed in big flavors, live performances, and our signature Sugartinis, an evening here might begin at the watering well where specialty cocktails and a selection of cultural appetizers set the mood and wet the appetite.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sugar Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (5)late-night find (3)romantic (3)good for groups (2)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)fit for foodies (1)Show More
- GreatGreatDined on 10/10/2014Dined in before a show. The food was delicious adn the service was even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- May need a second tripbritinNYVIPDined on 9/19/2014I just don't think they were ready for 2 people at 6:30. So despite being the only diners our food had still not arrived at 7:35. Food was ok - not great not bad- staff were all very pleasant just incredibly inefficient.
- Fun night outSue2Dined on 9/4/2014Open mike night was a lot of fun. Music and food made it a great night out!Special Features:
- DUETSDUETSDined on 7/18/2014Jimmy Cliff & Kym Hampton were singing duets at Sugar Bar's that evening and I truly wanted to see their performance. Although my 7PM reserved table for 1 was not ready the hostess did offer to seat me at the bar or close to the bar in a high table. I'm 5'2" so the "high table" would not have been comfortable for me. At least the offer to accommodate for the next half-hour was made. The music was excellent and the atmosphere was energetic. Much of what I assumed it would be. I am not a fan of SBs fare. As for my palette, I would have enjoyed a bit more variety. Rather, the food was prepared health-consciously and flavor left up to me to include. All-in-all the evening was nice I will return and recommend SBs.Special Features:
- The following 72 reviews are from the Sugar Bar reviews archive.
- So DisappointingOutstandingDined on 6/26/2014New York restaurants and clubs are amoung the best but not this one. We came here for the food, music and beloved team of Ashford and Simpson. We left after a so-so meal, a rude and sullen hostess, closterphobic diningroom, incompetent manager, and a show that started an hour late, just as we walked out. There is so much wrong going on here that it would not take much to fix but no one seems to care about the basics. We will not ever return.
- Cozy Spot for Late Night Dinnerfoodie4funDined on 6/14/2014We had a reservation following a broadway play. We arrived at 10:45PM and were greeted and seated promptly. Due to the hour we only ordered appetizers - catfish, calamari and desert. The appetizers were tasty and the desert was very good. We were told there normally is a band but that they had left early. It is a small, cozy spot.Special Features:
- Never AgainOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/29/2014We were celebrating our mother's 83rd birthday. Upon arrival (15 min before reservation time) I learned that 15 min prior the hostess called to ask the time of our reservation (made via Open Table). The entryway was under repair. The hostess was extremely distracted. Before seating you a fee is collected for the show. There is a fee even if you watch via monitor in the overflow room, thus our early reservations. One happy person was dining but we were led through the main room toward what we thought was the kitchen - it was the entrance to the overflow room. When we protested we were told that the seats in the main room were reserved. We asked for a return of our money and saved the night by dining where customer service is still important.
- A little salty @ Sugar BarbkbabsDined on 5/21/2014The food was decent.I wasn't head over heals for the entree or apps. I was a little annoyed we had to ask the server about the pre-fix menu and happy hour specials. It was also odd when the hostess tried to sit us at a table directly across from the bathroom when the entire restaurant was empty.Once that was brought to her attention we were moved. We were a group of seven, so I can cut the kitchen slack on being slow on the food order. However, we suspected our server was really the bump in the road. She seemed distracted with socializing @ the bar and troubled to find the prefix menu. I would return to Sugar Bar because Valerie Simpson is a CLASS ACT. Next time, I will sit at the bar like I've done in the past. Better service at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do Not Go Ever !!!DivaDeluxeDined on 4/30/2014Food was not good, Obscenely overpriced for entrée portions, décor dated, and service was awful!!!! Open Mic night and the entertainment must be the reason this restaurant is still opened.
- Always a pleasureTonyDined on 4/19/2014This is my third visit to the Sugar Bar. It is always entertaining. My first two visits were jazz nights. This last visit was a salsa night. The music and the food is always good. The $10 cover is very reasonable and the food is fresh. Definitely worth the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Live Music NYCNYCBestVIPDined on 4/15/2014You will not find better live music in all of NYC! A true gem that's not to be missed. Best fried chicken in all of NY by far. Best whole fried snapper as well!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellance!!DaymonDined on 4/9/2014Love this place and Wed's Open Mic Night is incredible!! So much talent in one room. The food is always fresh and yummy. This is Valerie Simpson's, of Ashford & Simpson fame, place and she's often in the house when we're there which is an honor. Looking forward to the show there on May 9th with the incomparable KATHY SLEDGE of SISTER SLEDGE fame.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sugar BarTerriDined on 3/6/2014I can say that all of my experiences at the Sugar Bar have been great. Food is really good and the people that work there are very friendly and helpful. I would definitely recommend to my friends to come and experience it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome thurs , surprise door feeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/27/2014I live in The neighborhood and like to support businesses ... The ambiance is great and food is good.. However, I was quite surprised to be charged a $10 fee at the door for my dinner reservation. I thought it was clear on the open table site to check for show time prior to reservation as there would be an extra charge should you arrive during show time... My reservation was for 8pm. Show time is at 9pm... Conveniently, I was finally served at 9pm ... Soooo clearly, if they are going to charge a show fee, then they should state it in the fine print... As oppose to a surprise at the door....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the best experienceShayButta1Dined on 2/14/2014I was disappointed by the menu since it was different than what was advertised on the website. I was looking forward to eating what was on the online menu. The way the seating was arranged was the worst in my opinion...tables were side by side so there wasnt really any way to have private conversation. I will not be visiting this restaurant again nor will i recommend it.
- loved itstorm2316Dined on 2/14/2014My family enjoyed this place so much.we was running late and the young lady held our table without a problem. They made our Valentine's day so beautiful. And the entertainment was superb. Thank you sugar barSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too SmallOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/8/2014The place is too small to have a so called entertainment section. You literally have to stand up and move the table if anyone seated next to you has to get up. Also, the show did not start on time yet the hostess kept harrassing my guests and I about the entertainment seating section coverage. In the end, it had to be refunded. The food is good and Chris the waiter has a great personality as does the manager. But I will not be returning nor do I recommend
- Open mic night with JT Project!!DaymonDined on 1/8/2014Great atmosphere and so much talent on open mic night!! Especially Todd Schefflin and the JT Project!!!! Food was fantastic and even got a chance to meet the great Valerie Simpson who was sitting right next to us. I highly recommend this uptown hotspot!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food & MusicCITYSLICKERDined on 11/26/2013If you are interested in live music, this place has top notch vocalists and good food to match.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it was my first time......wenttheretwiceDined on 11/21/2013It was my first time at the restraunt. I made a resevation to see the show. I was surprized to find that I was seated in the back room and would be watching the show on a TV screen and still had to pay 10.00 per person cover charge for it. I feel this is a poor practice. One does not get the excitment and energy of the show sitting in the back and watching it on a screen. I was truly disappointed. Aside from this. The food was good. The portion size was good. The service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Feeling cramped up..KarliDined on 10/11/2013This place was okay..The waiter wasn't attentive.The sitting was too tight and arranged poorly. The food was okay for soul food. I would most likely not return.Special Features:
- No place to have a conversationDavidVIPDined on 10/2/2013This was the second time going to Sugar Bar. The first time and the most recent, I was once again taken by surprise at the door when asked for a music cover charge. I thought I had chosen an evening when there would be no entertainment and I could talk to the person I had invited to dinner. No such luck. While I was outside deciding whether or not to try the restaurant again, four other prospective customers declined to dine there after learning of the cover charge.Special Features:
- Not a Sweet SpotG2G6VIPDined on 9/18/2013Total disappointment. The whole place was quite sorry. The food was not prepared well. The menu selections too limited. The ambience was very tired. There was a dank smell, only partially masked by chemical cleaners. In fact this alone almost caused us to leave.The live music, which was the main reason we chose to go to Sugar Bar, was cancelled when the band decided not to play a second set. We had already started eating our dinner,when they announced this so we couldn't leave and go elsewhere. On the positive side, the staff was friendly and the recorded music played a nice mix of '70s R&B. There are better places in town, thankfully, to hear good live jazz and R&B and eat some really good soul food.
- Sugar Bar W 72nd St ManhattabfrancescaDined on 9/11/2013We had the most delectable soul food, and the Heart of Jazz on 9/11 included 40 musicians who gave unselfishly of their musical spirits to fill the air with soothing and healing sounds to commemorate 9/11. They will perform again next year. Save the date! We were thrilled to be their! The catfish and collard greens were beyond superb! Reasonably priced!Special Features:
- Blah Birthday 4 MomNativeNYerDined on 8/17/2013I selected Sugar Bar specifically because of it's reputation for live music, & thought that it would be a nice place for my mom to celebrate her 67th birthday. I made reservations & then phoned Sugar Bar 3 times to find out whether a private party listed on the events calendar was still scheduled for the same date of my reservation for 3. I was told that the party was canceled, but there would not be any live music. I kept my reservation anyway. Once at Sugar Bar we found the decor to be very nice, & our cocktails were delicious. The food was not as tasty as we would have hoped & there was an error on the menus that needed to be amended (an entree that did not come with 2-sides). But I will try the restaurant just one more time.
- THURSDAYS AT SUGAR BARDavidVIPDined on 6/13/2013My reservation was on a Thursday evening. I was not aware and it was not noted on Open Table that Thursday evenings at Sugar Bar is "open mic night". Upon entering the restaurant customers must pay a $10. (cash) cover charge whether they wish to or not. I recommend the restaurant and will return. But not on Thursdays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 25th bday dinnermslis3Dined on 6/7/2013The food was absolutely delicious!! I didn't understand why my tilapia cost $22 until I tasted it!! I wanted to get another plate just to take home. But the leftovers I had were good enough! And it came with 2 sides!! Everyone in my party enjoyed their food! The live band was great! Will definitely go back if I get a chance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding venue!!! LOVEOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/28/2013I visited the Sugar Bar to go check out their Blues Open Mic night that takes place on Tuesday. My first surprise was to see Valerie Simpson walk in and greet everyone as though we were all acquaintances. That alone made my visit worth a million. The service was very good and attentive. We ordered the sea bass and the Grilled red snapper while sipping on the Love Potion. Both came out perfect and the fish was so fresh. Then there goes our next surprise, miss ROBERTA FLACK followed by FREDDY JACKSON. 3 legendary singers in an intimate setting!!! I almost passed out.I am totally enamored by the venue, the food and the caliber of musicians performing. This place is a treasure for those who love the finest things in life and enjoy a great time.Special Features:
- Best Friday Night Dinner EVER!!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/12/2013As most people know, the Sugar Bar is owned by Valerie Simpson (of Ashford & Simpson fame) but not in a million years did I expect her to walk up to my table, converse with my party, recommend food dishes and then end the night in a singing jam session with R&B great Freddie Jackson and jazz saxophonist Mike Phillips. It was the best Friday night EVER!Special Features:
- Dottie's review of the Sugar BarDotishaDined on 4/11/2013We had been here before and always the food and service is great.....Special Features:
- SUGAR BAR WAS SWEET!!! I'MOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/28/2013SUGAR BAR WAS SWEET!!! I'M ORIGNALLY FROM NEW JERSEY I CURRENTLY LIVE IN FLORIDA AND WAS UP VISTING FAMILY. I HAVE ALLWAYS BEEN A BIG FAN OF ASHFORD AND VALERIE SO I WENT ONLINE AND BOOKED FROM FLORIDA , I MUST SAY MY FAMILY SAID IT WAS AN ABSOLUTE SHAME THAT I HAD TO TURN THEM ON AND THERE RIGHT IN NJ, WE HAD A BLAST !!! EVERYONE AT THE SUGAR BAR FROM WHEN YOU CHECKED IN AND CHECKED OUT HAD NOTHING BUT CLASS. MY FAMILY ARE ALLREADY MAKING PLANS TO CHECK OUT BLUES NIGHT.Special Features:
- The atomsphere was very nice.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/9/2013The atomsphere was very nice. I thought our table was a little small. Other than that we had a great time there.
- came to hear the Noah KotutOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/1/2013came to hear the Noah Kotut Trio....food and drinks were good...music great....Special Features:
- Sugar SweetOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/28/2013Loved the dessert, my reservations was not honored, but someone there talked with the hostess who then was able to find us a table downstairs due it being a special occasion(friends birthday and my first time there). And I really wanted to experience the Open Mic forum. Had a wonderful time and can't wait to return. Wished the place was a little larger. ThanksSpecial Features:
- It is all about the musicOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/19/2013It is all about the music and great southern food! Fried catfish and amazing fried chicken!Special Features:
- Had dinner here for the firstOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/16/2013Had dinner here for the first time with a group of friends. The food, drinks and service was great. Would definitely visit again.Special Features:
- Missing Reservation!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/29/2013Other than the fact that our reservation wasn't ritten down after they had actually called us to confirm out online reservation, it was a nice spot. This caused us to be in the back and not be able to see the performers live. Performances started very late but it was still a decent time.Special Features:
- Give your review a title (optional)OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/24/2013The restaurant was very cold. Everything else was good.Special Features:
- Awesome birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/19/2013I came the for my male companions birthday needless Say he hasn't celebrated his birthday in over 10 Years he had a awesome time we plan to return This coming Thursday for open mike night. Thx u sugar bar. Ps. The singet was awesome !!!!Special Features:
- First time and Last timeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/12/2013It was over priced and over rated. The service was horrible we kept trying to get our waiters attention but he kept flitting right by us time afte time until we got the young man running the video recorder to stop him. We could have actually gotten up and left withour paying that's how much "lack" of service we got and the place wasn't even crowded at all. Also we had dinner reservations but paid $10 to get in...who pays to get in and eat at an establishment...really! My wife and I were very disappointed. It was out first time and our last.