Sugar and Plumm
377 Amsterdam Ave.
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Sugar and Plumm
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sugarandplumm.com/
- Phone: 2127878778
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 9:00AM to 10:00PM
Friday: 9:00AM to 11:30PM
Saturday: 8:30AM to 11:30PM
Sunday: 8:30AM to 10:00PM
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ben Dodaro
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Sugar and Plumm
"New Bistro": Sugar and Plumm sources the highest quality raw ingredients and wherever possible uses organic, or all-natural products; our meat and fish is always butchered, smoked and cured in-house and our condiments are proprietary and made fresh daily. We serve breakfast, lunch, brunch, supper, and dinner, all with an emphasis on high food integrity. Our sweet confections are all house-made, from scratch, with only the finest all natural ingredients, including of course our homemade ice creams, European-style chocolates, and French macarons.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sugar and Plumm reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.2Noise LevelModerate
kid-friendly (8)great for brunch (6)neighborhood gem (5)fit for foodies (4)good for groups (4)great for lunch (3)special occasion (2)great for outdoor dining (1)romantic (1)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- What a shame!MooMooVIPDined on 6/19/2014We have been here many times before and it has never been this bad. The service was so horrible. It took forever to order. Waiter was very sweet and completely overwhelmed. We never received our drinks. We told the bus boy that as he served our food. We got them half way through our lunch. My daughter wanted a spoon. I asked 3 times to no avail. We wanted dessert because their cakes are very yummy but could not get any body to take an order. Getting a check was another ordeal and getting them to charge our credit card a whole other problem. It's a shame because the place is pretty and food is quite good. They need better management and to take a look at operations.Special Features:
- So many children...travellerVIPDined on 6/7/2014For a place that was offering a LivingSocial deal that included a bottle of wine, I was not expecting the place to be 75% filled with children. The restaurant was loud and filled with large parties of children. That being said, the service was amazing! And the food was beyond anything you would find at typical family restaurants. Large ice cream sundaes, boozy milk shakes, and excellent chicken wings. And portions are big enough to share!Special Features:
- Perfect for little onesFamilyMan79Dined on 6/7/2014Food was exceptional. Service was great. From the decor to the amazing food to the ultra-cool confectionery, this is the perfect spot to bring little ones for a weekend brunch.Special Features:
- Bright and Cheery!KathleenDined on 6/5/2014It is deceptive when you walk by, it is not just an ice cream shoppe. The food was exceptional and beautifully plated. It was a sophisticated palate with a bright charming, friendly atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 71 reviews are from the Sugar and Plumm reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/31/2014We very much enjoyed our dinner, and S&P has some of the best desserts around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and cutehswish1Dined on 5/30/2014The food is fantastic sand the way the place is decorated is adorable! Staff is kind and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- family friendly, with elevated foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/25/2014Had a very enjoyable meal there - all the food was very good and even the kids meals where of high quality. Desserts were great as well - only negative was that there was a delay in getting some of them as they seemed to be either short staffed in that area or people got pulled onto other things. Would definitely go back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/25/2014Not a romantic setting but fun , kid friendly upbeat surroundings. The food is really, really good and plentiful. The wine was excellent. The service attentive. Even something simple like grilled cheese was excellent, as was salmon and hamburgers. Can't think of anything I wouldn't recommend. Even mousse was a bit different and very good.Special Features:
- eastonthewestsideeastonthewestsideVIPDined on 5/23/2014This is a comfort-food, large well-lighted place, quite noisy, very user friendly for families with children, or those seeking an indulgent dessert. The entrees were fine, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch with friends!ChelseaDined on 5/23/2014Sugar and Plumm was so great - I really enjoy their chicken panini and the bacon/cheese waffle. It's an adorable spot for brunch or for lunch and their pastries/desserts are delicious as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- uber kid friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014great place to eat with kids, especially girls. the food is actually very good, the desserts are fantastic: great variety of ice cream flavors and of course macaroons!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice when you have kidsSandraVIPDined on 5/17/2014They accomodated the stroller for us very quickly and, even though it was noisy, it was "kids' noisy" and not "drunk noisy" so it is bearable and normal if you have kids. Plus food is good and the service very attentive. I love the salty waffle concept for the brunch, very original and tasted very good. Decoration is very modern and kids friendly too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great findnycgirlVIPDined on 5/17/2014yummy food, good service, fantastic desserts, highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/15/2014Bright, fun atmosphere that had good food. Definitely great for kids or those adults who still like feeling like a kid. Lots of fun desserts too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoudfoodieDined on 5/10/2014My family had reservations for 7pm on a Sat evening. This was our 1st time there. Great location and really cute shop. My husband loved the chicken and waffles and the children were happy with their meals. The desserts were delicious as well. Brownie A La Mode was huge and the turtle sundae was a big hit. My only con would be the noise level. There happened to be a birthday party going on while we were there and it was quite loud. I felt like I was shouting to my husband across the table. Definitely not the type of place you want to go to for an intimate, quiet dinner. Food was good and my children loves the candy shop but I left with a headache due to the noise. Probably won't return for a meal.Special Features:
- a little pricey but good dessertsTryAllDined on 4/30/2014I enjoyed the chicken and waffles and my friends had the pulled pork with waffles also. Overall food is good but not sure its worth the premium. And the place feels like a candy store so having cocktails and dinner was a little strange.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food...slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/18/2014I brought my son here for brunch before a trip to museum...pull pork was delish ! Service was pretty slow tho, took like 15mins for waitress to come and take our order...so prepare to waitSpecial Features:
- Neighborhood GemAmyEVIPDined on 4/17/2014Great place for brunch or lunch with friends. Yummy good. Great dessert and love the "candy shop". Service was great tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only come for the dessertdavidjenisonVIPDined on 4/13/2014S&P has decent sundaes - not the best, but not terrible - though their appetizers and entrees are very average with high prices attached to them. Maybe a good places to take kids who want a Farrell's type experience, but otherwise would skip.
- Went here for Sunday brunch.jsalVIPDined on 4/13/2014Went here for Sunday brunch. The spinach salad was very good, as was the classic eggs benedict. The hot chocolate milkshake was delicious. Service was friendly but not very attentive. The sweets all looked delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sugar and funnjqrnDined on 4/13/2014Lots of sugar to choose fun. Nice ambiance. A little on the girly side. Macaroons are unbelievable. Hot chocolate is too sweet. Will try eggs or crepes next time. Fun place to meet and eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best banana split everbelleDined on 4/11/2014Came here for the second time and only for their banansplit that you share with your friend. It's so good. Atmosphere might be a Little bit noisy some time due to all the kids that are there but most of the time it's ok and the dessert wow I already know where i'm going again. The service is also very good.Special Features:
- Never AgainCitygirlDined on 4/10/2014This place is really an ice-cream hang out and not dinner. My deal was a dinner for $79 complete. When the full price was listed I was stunned. The original cost was $175. I questioned the manager just to have her explain how an ice cream parlor could charge this amount. They had an appetizer portion of a green salad for $19. One can eat in a well known restaurant like Union Sq, Telepan, etc for less than this place. I would never go there again even for an ice-cream cone.
- Kid Crazy - good for familiesCaitieVIPDined on 4/6/2014I would recommend this place to a family with kids. Extremely kid friendly, a wide variety of choices on their menu, and the ambiance is whimsical and fun. That being said, I probably would come back here, but only if I had kids with me - otherwise it's loud, annoying, and you just want to finish and get out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Adult Food and Kid Friendly!disappointedDined on 4/4/2014I was so surprised to see that they had first rate adult food at a place that clearly caters to children. This is the place to go when you want to trick your kids into thinking that the experience is clearly just for them, but you and your spouse can also secretly enjoy the food. Really, it's that good.Special Features:
- Run by 3 teenagersCristinDined on 4/2/2014Sugar and Plumm is a pretty attractive restaurant to the "with kids" set on the Upper West Side. We went on Wednesday night for a 7-year-old birthday celebration. While the food was good, the service was abysmal, due to no fault of the under-resourced, inexperienced staff. As far as I could tell, the restaurant is run by a 16 year-old host, a waiter meant to cover the entire dining room and the (also very young) kitchen staff. The crowd soon overwhelmed the staff. The toast to accompany our eggs came out 10 minutes later, we had to request dessert menus, chase down the waiter to order and were never told that they were out of one of our dessert orders - so that person simply went without. Owners - you need to hire some staff!Special Features:
- Left much to be desiredLovefood2muchVIPDined on 3/28/2014We went for a dinner reservation and it was nothing to rave about. We had the BBQ pulled pork burger, Corndogs, and Shrimp & Chips. If I ever go again I won't order any of the aforementioned plates. The food was bland and really left much to be desired for the prices we paid. I was really excited to get the Earthquake in a Fishbowl which is one of their most popular desserts; when we ordered it the waiter came back and said they didn't have any more vanilla ice cream so we chose a substitute. A few minutes later he comes back and says they don't have all the ingredients to make the dessert. I was REALLY disappointed and a little mad to say the least. I heard good things about Brunch so MAYBE we'll come back in the summer for that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kids BirthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/28/2014We brought our boys to Sugar and Plumm for a birthday dinner. The food was good. Not outstanding, just good. That said, we all thought the french fries were delicious. Our server was very solicitous and attentive. We went on a Friday at 6pm and there were lots of other families dining. Sometimes the children at other tables were a bit loud, but we knew that it was a family-friendly restaurant, so it didn't bother us. It was a great place to have a family dinner for the boys' birthdays. The desserts are outstanding!Special Features:
- Great New York Brunch ExperiencetraveltDined on 3/28/2014While visiting New York a friend and I made the trip to the Upper West Side to Sugar and Plumm for a wonderful brunch. After deliberating over the very enticing menu, we chose the ham and gruyere buckwheat crepes. Wow! We both loved them - so different and SO yummy! My friend also wanted to try the beet salad (not sure how it appears on the menu) and it, too, did not disappoint. It is a combination of various types of beets, most of which we were unfamiliar. After brunch we enjoyed looking around their store that is the epitome of "eye candy" - macaroons, cookies, muffins, chocolate Eiffel Towers, high heels, and hand-decorated candies. I would highly recommend this wonderful spot for brunch or lunch while visiting New York City.Special Features:
- expected moreJQT13Dined on 3/16/2014don't get me wrong.. the restaurant itself is really nice.. and pretty.. especially if you love sweets.. and have kids.. but i went to some girlfriends.. and we're all foodies.. so when the food came.. it looked great.. and was beautiful.. but the taste itself.. was only "EH.." i would probably never go back for brunch again.. cause the food was not all that cracked up to be.. but i was amazed when i first got there.. it's a cool place to bring little ones..Special Features:
- Yum!FoodieVIPDined on 3/15/2014The food here is AMAZING! So far the items that I have tried on their menu have been delicious. Our waiter was very friendly. This is a great spot for children as well. But I would suggest to always make reservations because it does get crowded in there and their brownie a la mode is a shareable item :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted it to betterreviewer22Dined on 3/13/2014All was fun, but was hoping for something more exciting and and fun.Special Features:
- Baby on BoardOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/9/2014We came here for brunch on a Sunday afternoon. Both of us ordered Crepes. We agree that we should have gotten anything OTHER than crepes. They're made with buckwheat and do not have the soft, delicate thinness that make crepes such a delicious treat. The grasshopper milkshake, on the other hand, was a win. The place was much louder than expected and almost reminded me of a nursery. Not only were there many young families sitting around us, the décor looks like it's out of a candy shop for kids. All that being said, I would recommend it for dessert, after bedtime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I will not go there againLSYCDined on 3/1/2014It is an upper west side version of a kiddie party place. There was a children party at the end of the hall. The noise level was high. The children were busy up and down the hall. There is only a toilet for women. The children were playing and occupying the toilet. Our server was not attentive. He had to be flagged down or tracked down by other servers. I had a Cobb Salad and a taste of a Plumm burger. My mouth was dry during dinner and throughout the rest of the night. It is a quick bite noisy place with an expensive sit-down price. I had thought about going there for breakfast or brunch but now I am totally ruling that out.
- Perfect for daughter's birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/28/2014Ato papers was festive, staff were accommodating, lots of kid friendly food choices and the dessert theme was a hit. Food took slightly longer to come than we hoped, but when it did it was perfect for our teen birthday group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best brunch in nyPressbureauVIPDined on 2/23/2014Every dish unique & beautifully presented, top ingredients, worthy of new york sophisticated dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Brunch or anything elseFoodieDined on 2/18/2014Service and food was amazing! Highly recommend neighbourhood gem. We revisited and had the milkshakes, even these were amazing too!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food but disorganized servicgvcaldaVIPDined on 2/9/2014Waited 15 mins for brunch even with a reservation. Food was decent, but stick to the desserts and sweet treats. Service showed inexperience and they charged me for the wrong tables check.
- Great for kids & kid partiesDoubleDeuceDined on 2/8/2014I went here expecting a nostalgic experience I had at similar places as a kid and that should've been my first clue that this place would have lots of kids there but I wasn't thinking when I made the reservation. That said, our brunch was very tasty, the service was very good and the prices were inline. This would be a great place for me to go with my daughter, she would love it but if you're not looking to be surrounded by kiddies while you dine then this is not the spot for you. I went there with my GF and was just looking to grab a quite brunch at a throwback place so I was a bit disappointed with the noise level and all the kids birthday parties. On the flip side I found a new place that I look forward to taking my daughter to :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most interesting breakfastsOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 2/8/2014The breakfast options at this restaurant are different! They serve savory crepes and waffles in addition to traditional egg dishes. The crepes and waffles are well-prepared and come with a variety of fillings or toppings. For those who like sweeter options, there are the traditional waffles with syrup and crepes with sweet fillings.Special Features: