2001 2nd St
Davis, CA 95618Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sudwerk.com/
- Phone: 5307588700
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm
Saturday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Brewery
- Executive Chef: Kevin Penn
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live music performances during the summer months on Saturday evenings on the patio.
A word from Sudwerk
Enjoy a relaxing atmosphere, great food and award winning beer at Sudwerk Restaurant & Brewery.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Sudwerk - Best Restaurants in Davis ›
Sudwerk reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (15)great for outdoor dining (14)kid-friendly (11)neighborhood gem (7)great for lunch (7)vibrant bar scene (5)hot spot (4)great for brunch (2)fit for foodies (2)romantic (1)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- SpotterDined on 9/13/2014Not worth your time restaurant felt dirty. Booth and floor had previous customers food left on them when we were going to be seated.
- LOUD!kennVIPDined on 9/4/2014Very LOUD. Two children spent the entire time we were there screaming, while their parents ignored them. Restaurant staff did nothing.Special Features:
- Awesome time!beermeDined on 8/30/2014I had a great time on the patio listening to live music and eating dinner with friends. I recommend it!Special Features:
- happy reunion sitePaul12Dined on 8/23/2014Had a family reunion on the outdoor patio which served us very well. The service was outstanding even though they had to accommodate 12 of us at the most distant table from the kitchen. The noise of the adjacent freeway and railroad tracks is a little annoying but not to the level that made conversation difficult. The beer is good and the food delicious.Special Features:
- Don't waist your moneyAnonymousDined on 7/12/2014Service was terrible and the food worse. The tri-tip in my tri-tip salad, was so overlooked and dry it may as well been beef jerky. My children also complained about how bad their hamburgers were.Special Features:
- Good lunchDinnerVIPDined on 7/11/2014The Cajun pasta was outstanding and so was the tortilla soup. Great service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great group servicesupersydVIPDined on 5/24/2014We arrived with a group of 25 kids and parents (two reservations) and they quickly figured out how to accommodate. Our server was a super star!! He made control in our chaos and the food was delicious. I honestly don't know how they did it !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 58 reviews are from the Sudwerk reviews archive.
- Don't botherStarmDined on 5/16/2014Food did not all come at once. Parts of meal were missing - we were told they woud get it right out and the never did bring it. When asked to correct one of the orders it took 45 minutes or more for just a salad to be relaced. Service was very medioaker at best. We were looking forward to eating at Sudwerk and left very disappointed! Don't think we will return. Manager did give us a 6 pack of beer for one of the incorrect orders, but in reality the manager should have done more and been more apologetic.Special Features:
- Party of 3 with 2 k-9'sdiviDined on 5/11/2014We dined outside on the patio in a shady spot and under an umbrella. We ate salads, burgers and beer. Delicious food, ice cold beer spotless surroundings and great service made for a terrific afternoon meal with family. Near the end of our meal, another table of guests came over to meet our "best friends". It is great to find pet friendly restaurants and this spot is clearly one of them. The the location is easy to find just a bit off HWY 80 and very close to an amazing dog park.Special Features:
- Great service, pretty good foodAliciaDined on 5/3/2014It was almost empty on a Saturday night. I didn't know where to sit (all the tables seemed the same) so the hostess led me to a good table. They gave me ice water with my menu without my having asked for it, which I thought was great. The service was a little slow but my server kept updating me on what was happening, like when the kitchen was closing. I ordered the fish and chips with a Coke. The server was accommodating. The soft drinks are expensive ($2.50!), but the meal came quickly. It was like typical fried food (the fish a little rubbery in the middle), but overall pretty good. I knew about the slow service and thought it was a good place to study. It is, if you don't mind drunk groups being loud sometimes. I loved the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3 groups from 3 regionsbigfoot21Dined on 4/25/2014We have only good things to say. Good food and service. Good prices and beer. Good location and ambiance. We had a great time. Thank you.Special Features:
- Craft brewery and restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/11/2014Stopped for a quick dinner. Servers were friendly and food was OK. The french fries are very tasty but our hamburgers were undercook -ed and also bland/tasteless. We were going to event and did not have time to correct the order. One thing we really like about Sudwerk's is that fact that their patio is dog-friendly. They produce their own beer and the (hard) cider was tasty.Special Features:
- Sudwerk means "Beer"OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014The reason to go to Sudwerk is to have a liter of their great Marzen. The food is ok, the ambience is fun, but the beer is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the beerlocalDined on 2/14/2014Not the best experience. Our table was sticky waited forever for service, water, our food. My salad came WITH my dinner and was brown in areas, wilted and drenched in dressing. My pasta was not hot. Burgers were a little bit better. My husband enjoyed his beer- that was the highlightSpecial Features:
- Just OK, if you're not in a hurryMomcatDined on 2/14/2014We had made reservations, and should have been suspicious that it was one of the few places in Davis that still had openings on Valentine's Day at the dinner hour. There was no wait to be seated, but our server looked harried and kept forgetting even the simplest things (like a glass of water). Everything took really long, even a soft drink and a cup of soup. It didn't help that we were on a tight schedule, as we were going to a concert. We had allowed two hours for dinner and a five minute drive to the concert venue, and our dinners were not complicated (I had a taco salad and my husband had a plate of sausages with potato pancakes). Even so, we were late to the concert. The food was adequate, nothing special.Special Features:
- It was a very quiet afternoonChance4meVIPDined on 2/5/2014It was a very quiet afternoon at Sudwerks so we got lots of attentive service. The three of us had the burger, a ruben sandwich, and the ahi tuna salad, all of which were fresh and good. The berry cobbler made a tasty end to the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey and restrictive, great foodbdayboyDined on 1/20/2014The atmosphere and service was wonderful, but the prices were rather high for the food provided. The meal substitution restrictions were rather nonsensible and there was a severe lack of non-alcoholic drinks available. Overall a great place under poor management.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu on Open Table oldTGrayckoDined on 1/18/2014The service was great, but the server said they had not served the Parmesan Romano Crusted Chicken for about 7 years. Overall this was a nice tucked away gem. A bit tough to get to though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very comfortable!DBDeerDined on 1/11/2014We had a great time as a family of over 60's. The menu selection is broad, particularly for the appetizers and beers, especially since Sudwerk is in a university town, kind of catering to the younger crowd! The most outstanding part of our evening, besides the good food, was our server, Ms.M. This young person is full of energy and smiles, and accommodated our every request for extras or changes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beer PubChewinggumDined on 10/23/2013Good beer and decent pub food. Just what you should expect.Special Features:
- food was great our waitorrupperDined on 9/21/2013food was great our waitor had a very good knowledge of the beer. exelent beerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Host was awkward. WaitressBrewinBeerDined on 9/15/2013Host was awkward. Waitress took forever and it was not busy at all. Menu was outdated. Waitress was not very knowledgable about the menu. The table was sticky. Food and beer was good, but that's about it. Probably won't be coming back.
- Great Music, Great Patio but...nickleslotsDined on 9/7/2013Great night of music, fun and friends, but they ran out of kids pizza when we tried to order one at 7.45 pm-so that was a huge bummer! Seems like this isn't something that should ever happen on a Saturday night-especially so early in the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went for the beer and itGoBlackhawksVIPDined on 8/31/2013We went for the beer and it was good , no big surprise. The location is a little strange, sort of an industrial park near the highway. The outdoor section is large and the noise level from the road was not bad even with only 3 tables of people. We were traveling from tahoe to moss beach so it was also very easy on and off of I-80.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Beer! Decent Food & ServiceAftermatchDined on 6/23/2013Beer is great. Food is a bit pricey but not bad. But it isn't amazing either. Service is lacking. Servers did not offer to refill nonalcoholic beverages. My recommendationwould be to go for appetizers and alcoholic beverages only. However bring your extra $ because ain't cheap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- helpfulgradmomDined on 6/15/2013We originally made a reservation for 8 and had to increase at the last minute. The manager was very helpful. We were warned we might have a wait for food, but everything came out promptly. Staff was very friendly and accomodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not recommendedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/14/2013When we arrived at the restaurant they told us they did not have a table for us eventhough we received e-mail and voice mail messages a couple of days before to confirm our reservation. When we were finally seated in a back room, when never got place settings, until after the food arrived, and then it almost on an 'as needed' basis. We got plastic cups for the water. The food was horrible; we were a party of 13 people and it was unanimous that the food was very bad. We don't know how they are still in business.
- Great beer. Food was fine.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/17/2013Great beer. Food was fine. Patio seating is fun when the weather is good.Special Features:
- Went here for the first timeantibuffetDined on 5/12/2013Went here for the first time on Mother's Day. Good food and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and service, a littleOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/19/2013Good food and service, a little loud but a great place to go before a concert at Mondavi CenterSpecial Features:
- We had a party of 9 peopleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/10/2013We had a party of 9 people at 5:00. The place was not crowded at all. However our server was very slow. 7 were served and then the last two that ordered salads weee not served for about 10 more minutes. It was very uncomfortable. We were attending a concert at the Mondavi and needed to get out of there, but still had not received the check. The server would not let couples pay individually, so my husband just paid the entire bill so we could hurry and get out of there. Sorry , but we will look for another resturant when we attend the next concert. One that puts the customer first.
- Mixed BagOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/12/2013Our table was ready when we got there and the service was great. The ambiance was sports bar.....not to my taste but probably good for those who want sports bar. The food for those of us that chose beer and beef and sausages was good. Their fish was almost inedible in the judgement of those that chose it. We picked it because it was a good gathering place right before a performance at the Mondavi Center. I'd go again if I wanted beer and sausage or if I wanted to watch basketball, or both.
- Sudwerk...or lack thereof!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/9/2013Food was decent, beer was decent. Service was horrible, almost as if our waiter forgot he had our table at times. It took longer to get the check then it did to get our food! Then once the waiter saw that we paid partially with a gift certificate, we watched him roll his eyes and openly sigh before going to get the certificate blessed off by a manager. Very slow night for a Saturday at 7p. I will not be back and wouldn't recommend this restaurant to anyone.
- We were a group of 8 peopleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/26/2013We were a group of 8 people from Brazil and everyone liked too much the service and the food. One of the guys did not like the beer that he choose but he did not tasted other one because he was driving. I will recommend this restaurant for other colleagues from Brazil that decide to come to Davis. Me and my family will around until next Friday and will try to return to the restaurant some day this week.Special Features:
- Great Food, Not so Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/25/2013Food was great, but we had some problems with the service. Everything took a substantial amount of time, the waitress got an order wrong, and we were told by a server when we asked politely for a drink refill that it was "not his job." (which could have been said more nicely). On the whole though, it was still a good experience with delicious food and reasonable prices. I'd probably go there again.Special Features:
- Have always had a great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/11/2013Have always had a great experience here with large groups or with a small pack of family members. Service always very professional & prompt (even with a table of 16 on multiple occasions), food is outstanding quality for price, beer is fantastic and I have had great experience renting kegs. Can't say enough good things about Sudwerk.Special Features:
- Good,as always. A little lessJoelDined on 12/28/2012Good,as always. A little less onion in the coleslaw, please!Special Features:
- A nice little brew pub withOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/18/2012A nice little brew pub with an above average kitchen. The menu was well thought out, the prices reasonable, the food plentiful and tasty, and the service was excellent. I will certainly stop by again on my way through Davis.Special Features:
- Sad to say Sudwerks has sunkOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/16/2012Overall, we were quite disappointed. Had enjoyed this place immensely years ago, and hoped they were still as good. Clam chowder too salty, burger way over-cooked even though we specified 'pink', and beer wasn't as good as many other places. Thank goodness we were going somewhere enjoyable afterwards, or the evening would have been quite a bust, thanks to Sudwerks. Waitress was at least pleasant, but nothing to write any praise about.
- Casual, lively ,great forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2012Casual, lively ,great for groups. Prompt attention upon arrival but we had to wait for another member of our party. Once she arrived we didn't get attention for at least 20 minutes . The manager realized it and took our order himself after apologizing for the wait. Of course that made the rest of the evening tense with our waitress tho she did her best to be courteous. The salads were large and the burgs tasty. Probably needs sprucing up abit.Special Features: