1555 Mission Drive
Solvang, CA 93463Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.succulentcafe.com/
- Phone: (805) 691-9444
- Hours of Operation:
Sat, Sun: 8:30am - 12:00pm (closed Tues)
M, W, Th, Fri 11:00am - 3:00pm (closed Tues)
Sat, Sun 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Mon, Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun 5:00pm - 9:00pm (closed Tues)
Mon, Wed, Thurs, Fri, 11:00am - 9:00pm (closed Tues)
Sat, Sun 9:00am-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Succulent offers a diverse list of catering options from full-service to fine food to-go, all focusing on seasonal produce and superior product. They are adaptable to your needs, and can deliver a perfect tailor-made solution for your event.
- Private Party Facilities: While Succulent is a very small cafe, they do offer private dining for the right client.
- Private Party Contact: Cynthia Champlin 8056919444x
A word from Succulent Cafe
Succulent Cafe is a family owned business that focuses on hand-crafted and local artisan products. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, they feature buttermilk biscuit sandwiches at breakfast, gourmet sandwiches and salads at lunch and appetizers, entrees and desserts at dinner. They have a number of hand crafted goods available including pickles and pickled vegetables, jams and jellies and artisan salts. They feature culinary baskets available for gifts and have a great selection of local wines. Their specialty is house cured meats and they feature a variety of farmstead cheeses all from the West Coast all available at the Charcuterie Bar. Food at breakfast and lunch is available to go. They also provide catering services and have a list of cheese & charcuterie platters, box lunches and sandwich platters.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Succulent Cafe - Best Restaurants in Solvang ›
Succulent Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (33)neighborhood gem (23)great for outdoor dining (20)special occasion (14)notable wine list (9)great for lunch (6)romantic (5)hot spot (5)good for groups (4)great for brunch (2)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Biscuits and BurgersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014We ate about four baskets of biscuits! They are to die for. The homemade preserves to dip are also made to perfection. For the main course, two of us got the lamb burger, which was tasty, moist, and unique. Another friend got the pizza, which was thin crust, topped just right, and piping hot when served. I can see why this restaurant is so popular. It is a gem in Solvang. I will definitely return and recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very yummy spot in the SYV!BlueMoonVIPDined on 11/21/2014We hadn't been to this restaurant for maybe 6 months or so, and we were quite glad to to try it again. Everything was delicious, as we remembered it and the service was great (many thanks to Kelly!) My entree, one of the specials that evening, wasn't very hot when it first came to the table; a quick trip back to the kitchen rectified the issue, without anyone going off the rails to make it too hot (as can happen) and Kelly checked back to make sure everything was fine. We'll not let so much time pass before making another reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Runyan14RunyandinnerVIPDined on 11/16/2014Went after they came highly recommended we went in for dinner with our dog and were able to sit on the patio. The food was extremely good flavor and well thought out as a menu. The staff were all very nice and helpful. Made for a great birthday dinner! We look forward to dinning here next time we are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a treat.lewgenVIPDined on 10/31/2014We found the food to be terrific. It has a very nice menu with lots of choices. The service could not have been better. We will definitely return and recommend it to our friends.Special Features:
- Delicious!!!casualdinerDined on 10/25/2014We had found this gem of a restaurant when we visited Solvang in Feb. We had to dine there again on our trip in Oct. since it was so delicious!! Haven't had this good of food just about anywhere else. Would highly recommend it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with the FamilyCaptgtDined on 10/18/2014Service, food, ambiance was excellent. We had a great dining experience.Special Features:
- Something changedSlickDined on 10/18/2014We ate at this restaurant in January of this year, it was amazing! We couldn't stop talking about it and couldn't wait to get back. We went back this weekend and we were surprised by the change. Everything was the same except the amazing food. It was fine, but it wasn't the same as 10 months ago. It made us wonder if there had been a change in management.Special Features:
- Nice choice while in SolvangmandyjmDined on 10/12/2014We enjoyed our dinner here. It had a good menu with fresh ingredients. It may not be the best meal we have ever had while visiting Santa Ynez, but it was definitely a very good choice for an evening if staying in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- out experienceFlorenceDined on 10/10/2014We were there in June and loved it. This time we were in Ojai for a week and had to drop off grandchild in Buelton so made a reservation with you, only choice was 8:15 last Friday evening. We got there early (7:30) and they were able to seat us early. Had lamb burger and it was fabulous. It was a very busy night but we received excellent service. Will come again next time in the area.Special Features:
- Delicious!QuinnDined on 10/10/2014The cheese tray was wonderful with so many homemade treats on it (spiced nuts and bread).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pork is KingCLJAKOVIPDined on 10/10/2014Great choice if you like pork - but why else would you come here? Great charcouterie and wine list. Only complaints were that our waitress forgot to log us in as filling an Open Table reservation and it was freezing in the restaurant. Had to go get our jackets. We asked if they could turn down the air -- to no avail. Go outside if you can!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time as good as the firstRhondaAndBigKahunaDined on 10/2/2014We visited Solvang a few years ago and happened upon The Succlent Cafe and we loved it! We were back this week to find it had expanded. I had the chicken pasta and it was so tasty! My husband became huge fan of the Hoppy Poppy beer made in Buelton and the restaurant serves it...I would of loved some Standing Sun wine also from Buelton..We recommend The Succlent Cafe there is something for everyone'Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommended by LocalspeggymackVIPDined on 9/25/2014This restaurant was recommended to us by locals. It is not fancy and is quite noisy, but the food and service make up for it. the menu is limited, but quite unique. I had sea bass and leeks and my husband had pork belly and mashed potatoes. Both were $29. The sea bass was fresh and it was served in a very interesting and quite rich sauce. I've never had anything quite like it. My husband also enjoyed the pork belly which also was served with a very nice sauce. The only thing I would be conscious of us that a new chef recently arrived and currently is using most of the recipes of the previous chef. Depending on what direction the chef goes, it could certainly change the outcome, either way.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Took my lady friend here on our first date. Good wine/beer selection, lacquered wooden tables and chairs, its a cozy place. First off was the complimentary homemade preserves and bread brought to our table. Very nice touch. Ended up getting the pizza and pork loin. Both were very nice, well presented and delicious. The pizza was LEGIT~! Great place for a first date if you're worried more about the food and less about what you're going to talk about.Special Features:
- Succulent was just that!travlinLAVIPDined on 9/3/2014Excellent dining experience....my husband had the meatloaf, and was smiling with every bite....I had fantastic lamb chops.....of course wine selection is terrific being in the wine country. We often visit Los Olivos, Solvang, and Santa Ynez....this is the best dining we have found as yet....still love the Hitching Post for steaks....but for something out of the box...this is the placeSpecial Features:
- Repeat customerRepeatcustomerDined on 9/3/2014Fabulous food and reasonably priced....will be back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food4wineDined on 9/3/2014excellent food. personal very frienly. ambience needs improvement to make it more cozy,in our opinion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food here!JChowDined on 8/31/2014Read reviews and tried it out during the long weekend while visiting Solvang. It's crowded for each meal so butter to do the reservation in advance. Food was good and service was sweet. I liked the Three Little Pigs which had a pretty big portion and good taste though my hb's pasta was a little flat. Since it's not a romantic restaurant, I don't think needs to be so dark to be hard for reading menu.Special Features:
- Fri Date NightGemelliGirlDined on 8/29/2014Great local spot for innovative dishes. Love the charcuterie, which changes, because I've been there twice within a month! Also open for b'fast on weekends and that is great too.Special Features:
- Stellar!BelmontianVIPDined on 8/15/2014From the generous and delicious starter to the bacon sundae dessert the meal was flawless!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BRtheFoodieDined on 8/4/2014The food was a little spicy for our pallet especially as we had told the server that we did not anything spicy. The cheese platter was great. Restaurant was very noisy and they need some sound proofing in the ceiling
- Wow!!! Everything was FABULOUS!BelmontianVIPDined on 7/30/2014I am consistently impressed with this restaurant. They serve innovative food made with local fresh ingredients. They were serving a Triple Threat bacon cheese burger, beer and dessert combo - amazing!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 107 reviews are from the Succulent Cafe reviews archive.
- Delicious in Dane-villebuzzkehlDined on 7/25/2014Such a treat to have excellent food (and wine) in Solvang....as a local, I like having someplace to take friends from SB where I know they won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solvang experiencerleeoDined on 7/20/2014very good lamb burger. French fries among the best I've hadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another wonderful experience!TheOchoVIPDined on 7/18/2014Went to Succulent to celebrate our wedding anniversary and enjoyed another amazing meal! The Three Little Pigs is my favorite entree and we were treated to the most amazing bacon and ice cream desert! The food is always fresh and delicious. We can't wait to go back and try more things!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bacon DesertTheWopDined on 7/10/2014Gotta try it once in your life. Bacon, salted caramel ice cream, cookie made with bacon and whipped cream. Awesome and decadent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerlbdinerDined on 7/9/2014The best restaurant to dine at in Solvang or any other city. Food is excellent, service personable. We enjoy it every time we dine there. NEVER disappointed. ALWAYS superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- local flavorCyndeeDined on 6/26/2014The décor is fun and the layout is confusing. The food was ok but really salty and I salt everything. There were 4 of us two people received their entrée, then 10 minutes later the other two of us received ours. There was an apology but our polite company had to eat cold meals waiting for the others. I won't be recommending or hurrying back. Too bad they are so close to where I live. Could have been great.
- Worth visiting!socaldixiegalDined on 6/26/2014Took my parents here for my dads 72nd birthday. Service was great the entire time with our orders taken promptly but not rushed. Mom and I started with the steak tartar which was wonderful. For entrees my dad enjoyed every bite of the short ribs and mom and I split the pork belly porchette which was super tender, delicious and the beans were fabulous. They pack in so much flavor in their meals! A wonderful surprise was an absolutely delicious berry shortcake brought out to my dad for his birthday. Also, an excellent local wine list. The atmosphere is definitely cafe style with bistro style wooden chairs and tables and silverware in jars on the tables. Love having a delicious non-Scandavian choice in Solvang!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A reason to go to Solvang.BeeGeeDined on 6/22/2014While in some ways it's outgrown it's "cheese danish" trappings, Solvang is still a place this Central Coast native tends to avoid. On a recent trip to see a PCPA show, we decided to try Succulent Cafe. The menu, which is largely meat focused, is one where you simply have a hard time choosing. The menu changes regularly, but think eclectic comfort food and you'll have a pretty good idea what this place is about. The wine list is focused on higher end local choices, but even the $33 Groundwork Grenache we ordered seemed very well selected. Service is casual, but knowledgeable, and the staff seems like they could have been the inspiration for the local characters in Sideways (or is it the other way around). A really great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- needs a new approachMaryDined on 6/14/2014The food here is really tasty, and the portions are generous. That said, I think the chefs try too hard; many dishes have just too many ingredients, and they don't always compliment each other. So stick to the simple stuff. The noise level can be deafening. Many folks apparently go for dinner after wine tasting all day, and they can be LOUD!! The restaurant makes the mistake of seating large tables in the center of the room (there is better space in the back), and when the party gets going, it is impossible to have a conversation with your dinner companions. We almost left, as some other couples did. Go on an off night (mid- week), and only for dinner. Lunch is pretty lame, and there is no table service.Special Features:
- Foodie haven in wine countryAngusmcgVIPDined on 6/13/2014Increasingly, Solvang is acquiring more and more foodie-friendly restaurants. This is a charming, rustic and delicious addition to the neighborhood. From those mini-homemade biscuits instead of the usual bread to the vegan chile relleno, to the yummy deserts (fruit crumble, crime brûlée), don't miss this place on your next stop through the Central Coast.Special Features:
- Always a favorite!vegheadcharlieDined on 6/8/2014This was mine and my hubby's second time here. We were equally impressed this visit. I wasn't expecting something out of this world because I ordered their veggie pizza (due to being only one out of two vegetarian meals on the menu that night - which is totally fine). Usually pizza is great, but nothing that particularly stands out. Well I was completely blown away. Every single ingredient complimented the other! Nothing was too overpowering. You can truly tell that the chef takes their time thinking out each little thing and how it will positively accent it's partners in the dish. My husband was just as enthusiastic about his meal as well. We will ALWAYS stop by Succulent while in Northern California, even if it's a little out of our waySpecial Features:
- YUMMYVixterDined on 6/8/2014Funky ambience with small wood tables, no placemats or tablecloth, silverware thrown in a recycled coke glass- very casual. Excellent menu. Super thin crusted pizzas. Half the tables were ordering them. Farm fresh veggies. The lamb and duck entrees were creatively prepared, cooked perfectly and delicious. Good wine list. Gourmet chef. Nice attentive waitress. Was $100 for 1 salad, 2 entrees, 1 dessert, 1 glass of wine. Not cheap but excellent food.Special Features:
- Wonderful comfort foodFriendfoodieDined on 5/31/2014The food was delicious. Went with group of six. Wait staff were friendly and the food was great. I he the meatloaf with bacon!!! The Caesar was a grilled romaine with a homemade Caesar dressing. DeliciousSpecial Features:
- Do eat here!VeeyawnDined on 5/29/2014While there isn't a shortage of places to eat in Solvang there are only a few places that are a must. Succulent Cafe is one of them. Having been twice each meal was delicious and memorable. They obviously care about food, its preparation and presentation. I recommend them to anyone who visits.Special Features:
- Great food in SolvangHappyDinerVIPDined on 5/28/2014We were in Solvang for an overnight wine tasting trip in Santa Ynez. Succulent was recommended by our concierge for dinner and it was a great suggestion. Our table ordered the lamb, the steak, and the duck. Although cooked slightly more than the medium rare ordered, all three dishes were delicious. The restaurant is casual and the server friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy DinnerpbfoodieDined on 5/23/2014Visiting Solvang with a friend on a road trip - read reviews on Succulent Cafe and had a recommendation from our Hotel - Food was great - varied selection and decent wine list - our waiter got a little busy and totally forgot about us but it happens - I would return next time I am in the areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Splendid VittlesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2014This is one if the best places to have a delicious breakfast, lunch, brunch or dinner in the Santa Ynes valley. Their palate is spot on. Always the right mix of sweet and savory. My wife is addicted to the biscuits. I'm a huge fan of the house cured bacon. Super delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/10/2014We went after the half marathon as a group of 6, and were still talking about it the next day. Every bite of every dish was so flavorful and cooked to perfection. Our server knew all the perfect wines to pair with everything we were eating, and there wasn't anything left. I know all of us will re-visit succulent on a future trip to the area and will recommend it to everyone we know!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.