3790 Via de la Valle #310
Del Mar, CA 92014Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://sublimetavern.com/
- Phone: 8582599100
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Josh Ricciardi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact us for any and all of your catering needs.
- Private Party Facilities: We have a small private dining room overlooking the polo fields that can accommodate up to 40, and we able to section off and accommodate much more, up to and including complete restaurant rental.
- Private Party Contact: Jason Bitsko 7025012688
A word from Sublime Tavern
Home of craft beers and gourmet comfort food. We pride ourselves in fresh, local flavors, and presenting only the finest beer and wine selections in the world. Come join us for a flavor extravaganza, and just a good old-fashioned great time.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Sublime Tavern - Best Restaurants in Del Mar ›
Sublime Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (15)kid-friendly (12)scenic view (11)great for outdoor dining (10)neighborhood gem (10)fit for foodies (9)great for lunch (9)vibrant bar scene (6)notable wine list (6)special occasion (5)late-night find (5)great for brunch (4)hot spot (3)romantic (2)Show More
- Goof Comfort Food and DrinksSDCVDinerDined on 8/22/2014We had a large group (13 people) for dinner. The appetizers and drinks were excellent, the main courses were good -- the pizza is very good. The service was OK (not great). They had us in a corner, so they kept asking us to pass down food and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cosmic tasty food!Swifty2Dined on 8/21/2014Great food for everyone's pallet. Interesting pizza toppings, unique hamburger toppings, terrific salads....and then there is the macs & cheese! I had the Fiery macs. It had ham chunks and fresh jalapenos. Fantastic! The beer menu will take some time to study with all the choices. Watch the sun set from the patio seating. Hidden gem of a place to eat-off the beaten path and out of the way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best suited for kidsNMNATIVEVIPDined on 7/29/2014We had a large group (12) and had 3 under 15 yrs old. I had a hard time deciding what to have because the food seemed best suited for the kids... Several varieties of Mac and cheese, and grilled cheese sandwiches, pizzas. Not enough entrees for adults or folks who don't want pizza, Mac and cheese or grilled cheese...Special Features:
- Pleasantly Surprisingly Great MealFriendlyVIPDined on 7/5/2014We were surprised and impressed. Great selection of draft craft beers. A diverse and widely delightful menu. Service was superb.Special Features:
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/3/2014We have been to Sublime Ale house in San Marcos, and we wanted to try Sublime Tavern. Food was great (steak, medium-rare and Mac-n-cheese). Service was very good and we ordered multiple beer flights. Large selection of beers. Will definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!KatCDined on 6/28/2014We had a party of 10 that went to Sublime for my daughters birthday. She loves their grilled cheese. It was my first time there and I loved it. Great food, fantastic service and beautiful view. I'm not a beer person but everyone else very much enjoyed their variety of beers and wines. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/15/2014If you like MacNCheese, This place is going to be your next favorite restaurant. Go online and look at the menu. Youre going to love it and get hungry just reading through it. All the food surpasses expectations with flavor and size.Special Features:
- Unexpected gemLeendarDined on 6/8/2014Although virtually no one was there at Sunday brunch time, the food is worthy. My guess is that is not their golden time of day for guests... The server was very nice and all were quite accommodating. Thankfully, did not try to hurry us as most places do. The salmon benedict was very good, and the lobster scramble was excellent!Special Features:
- Not badudpumpkinDined on 5/29/2014The service has been hit or miss for us but the food is pretty good and they have a good beer selection. It can get loud by the bar but the patio is nice and has a good view of the polo grounds.Special Features:
- NomoreSublime526Dined on 5/26/2014Very disappointing. This was our first visit to Sublime Tavern. We were one of about 4 tables that were occupied in the entire restaurant, which should have afforded us great service. However, our waiter was obviously untrained and we had to walk him through many of the simple expectations of providing service in a restaurant. He was pleasant enough, just ill-equipped to provide even mediocre service. Our party found the food to be extremely disappointing. We had informed the restaurant that we were celebrating a birthday, but there was no "celebration" provided by the restaurant, even after reminding our server of the occasion. We don't intend on returning to Sublime Tavern.
- The following 39 reviews are from the Sublime Tavern reviews archive.
- yum!deefoodieDined on 5/23/2014We ate here before a show at the Belly Up. The service was good. We ordered the ploughing platter- which had a variety of cheese and meats on it. It was delicious. We also had the Caligula salad and the jalapeno grilled cheese sandwich on foccacia bread. Both were delicious. I would totally eat here again.Special Features:
- Mother's Day LunchBrendan1Dined on 5/17/2014This place has great grilled cheese sandwiches. I ordered the meatball grilled cheese, and it was good. The service was overall very good... the waiter was friendly and the salad I had was wonderful. It isn't over priced at all... very reasonable, and has a great view of the polo grounds in Del Mar. I would reccoment this place to anyone to try at least once!!Special Features:
- Great food, great time.CHL80Dined on 5/7/2014Loved it here. The service was excellent and fast and the food was sooooo good. Get the Mac And Cheese.Special Features:
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/26/2014There were seven of us, we all live in Carmel Valley and none of us had heard of Sublime. We were all very pleased with our dinner. We had a great time, found solid value, really good food and service. We were talking about when we were gonig to return, before we left.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Found a new place in Del Mar/RSFPaulGDined on 4/21/2014I took a small group (6 of us) to Sublime on Monday night this week on the recommendation of a friend. I have driven past this restaurant for years (though it has been many things prior to being Sublime). I was really impressed. The food was outstanding - I had the salmon filet and sticky rice. The salmon was perfect and flavorful. The rice and side veges were just ok. We tried the Ahi tacos, marinated artichoke and sausages for appetizers and found them all to be outstanding. The beer selection and wine list is extensive and wont leave you disappointed. Service was attentive and the environment was casual - great for a simple business meal or even a family night out. I will be back for sure.Special Features:
- Great placeCaJetsFanVIPDined on 4/11/2014Everyone at our table had trouble deciding what to order. So many yummy sounding things on the menu. We ended up ordering one pizza, one Mac and cheese, one panini and one burger and sharing. I'd absolutely return to this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun with FamilySDRayDined on 4/11/2014Great place for birthday celebration. Good view, friendly staff. Great food and awesome beer & wine. Loved the decor. This will be a new favorite for us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beer and a mealSeanVIPDined on 4/4/2014Lots of beers to select from, which was fun. The food is as advertised, comfort. Not really interesting, but well prepared. Patio dining in the summer would be awesome.
- Sublime Tavern: good not sublimeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/16/2014On our first visit to Sublime for an early Sunday dinner, we liked the extensive crafts beers list (as well as a nice wine list). The food was uneven...tomato bisque soup and foccacia were great, salads were very good, but a couple of ingredients promised on the menu were missing. A mac and cheese dish with pulled pork was just so-so. I'm not sure why, but it did not have much flavor. We had a lovely waitress and the place seems really nicely put together, but they had damage to their outdoor patio, so that was closed. When the patio is opened up again, outdoor seating will be great for summer lunches or evenings.Special Features:
- Delicious, Affordable, EnjoyablehilmacDined on 3/15/2014Hubby and I have been here twice. Once for a retirement party on the patio. Once just the two of us. Good find. varied and tasty menu, comfortable and lively without being too loud. Nice bar if you enjoy chatting with a friendly and accommodating bartender. You can also watch a game. Being able to make a reservation for just 2 is great. The separated, enclosed patio is perfect for a private party and could probably accommodate 75-100. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit of a hidden gemShannanDined on 3/14/2014Really good food selection and quality as well as a fantastic selection of beers on tap. Casual yet classy ambiance. Highly recommend. We'll be going back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way too loudSDFoodieVIPDined on 3/8/2014Went for dinner with the family on Saturday night and because the back patio was closed had to sit in the smaller of the 2 indoor rooms. It was so loud I could not even hear my husband who was sitting next to me. We ate quickly and left. Not an ideal experience or one that will have me racing to go back. They need some sound-absorbing materials inside.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Families ComfortJoyofDiningDined on 3/7/2014Wow! Great grilled cheeses and tomato soup. Kids LOVE the pizzas and hot dogs too. This is THE place to take the kids for the old fashioned comfort food. Located conveniently by our hunter jumper trainning center at Del Mar Horsepark, this is part of our new dinning routine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed againEastcoasterVIPDined on 3/3/2014Has great possibilities but food is inconsistent and pizza has interesting toppings but crust is average. Beer choices are amazing but wine is expensive and just not that good. Wine is as high as $28 a glass which does not fit with a basic pizza and mac and cheese type of place.Special Features:
- Luke WarmOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 2/28/2014Service was pretty good, food was very good. Can't get past the ridiculous policy that you can't try a small taste of a wine before you order a glass. They actually charge for a 1 oz pour...I don't want a pour, I want a sip to see if it's what I am looking for. To me it's a dis-service and I can't imagine that it helps them sell any more wine, especially anything different. I couldn't get a taste of what I was interested in so instead I ordered an average pinot...which cost less than what I was thinking about getting. The place was very noisy and it was tough to have a conversation, but the food helped make up for it. Not sure I'll be back. Wish they were open for lunch, but the location probably isn't conducive to a large lunch crowd.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good and serviceKittDined on 2/28/2014Food was good and service ok. They were having some type of private event in their large dining room with cameras and the like. Staff was a bit distracted.I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than a TavernfullbellyDined on 2/25/2014This was my first time to Sublime Tavern and there were 9 of us in the group. We had three teenagers with us too. There was something great for everyone. The truffle fries appetizer was a hit for the table. The beer selection was great. I am definitely going back to try more selections.Special Features:
- Great BurgersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014Ordered the mushroom cheeseburger w/o the bun. It was fantastic and so was the horseradish aioli!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went here for Valentines DayjsbradburyDined on 2/14/2014Went here for Valentines Day with my fiancé. Our waitress was extremely knowledgeable and recommended two craft beers after asking us a few questions about what we liked and she was spot on. The cheese platter appetizer was great. Our meals were quite good. We both plan on being back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just as everyone saidroseDined on 2/14/2014Usually I take reviews with a grain of salt but this place was really good! Loved the mac and cheese and the appetizers. The atmosphere is great . Looking forward to visiting this place again.Special Features:
- This is a friendly, livelyLL13230Dined on 2/8/2014This is a friendly, lively place, great for large groups and families. The portions are very generous. Perfect comfort foods, burgers, pizza, salads, mac and cheese. Prices are fair. Save room for dessert. Only negative is the LOUD side room for large parties. We couldn't hear ourselves!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two Mishaps In One MealPattiJo32VIPDined on 2/7/2014I don't typically return food. I tend to just be laid-back about it all. It's just a meal for goodness sake, right? Well, my husband nearly ate his whole salad only the find a short, dark hair on the bottom of the plate. Sort of set the tone. I had asked for my burger to be "Medium". It came back dry and well done. I sent that back. That's just a bad kitchen mistake. The manager did come over and claim that all cooks wear hair-nets (none of them had them on when I looked up into the open kitchen) and he took both the salad and the burger off of the bill, and asked for a second chance to get it right. With all of the amazing restaurants we have available in the San Diego area, I might not make it back.
- We have not been disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/4/2014We have not been disappointed in any way and will return often. Working our way through the menu, beer, and wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but could be betterFritzDined on 2/1/2014Everything was delicious tasting. The macaroni could have been tastier if it was hot. Three orders of it came to the table....all just moderately warm. The burgers were already served and the place was busy so would have been futile to have it taken back to the kitchen and re-nuked. The two burger orders were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent place!MLarishDined on 1/25/2014It was our first time here...Food was great and service was EXCELLENT! We will definitely be back!!! You have a great team and a great restaurant!!!!!!!Special Features:
- Nice vibe and decorScottEVIPDined on 1/18/2014My wife and I went to Sublime Tavern just for fun, and found the food to be pretty good (not outstanding, not bad), and the service to be pretty good as well. We had a salad and two appetizers (rather than a main), and it was more than enough food. We're not beer drinkers, but we each had an interesting beer to go with our meal. Parking is ample, seating is ample, and the overall experience was very good.Special Features:
- Yummy Comfort FoodotreviewDined on 12/31/2013We decided last minute on NYE to go out to dinner with the whole family and this menu had something to offer for everyone. We all liked what we ordered and plan on coming back for more. Can't wait until they add a brunch menu.Special Features:
- Might be a new fave!skyblue22VIPDined on 12/31/2013I had never heard of this place but found it on Open Table and decided to give it a try. I was very pleased! We dined for New Year's, and although it was nothing fancy, it was nice enough to make us feel like a decent choice for a special occasion. We were given the option of inside or outside on the patio. The patio was enclosed with plastic roll-up windows and there were heaters, so it wasn't too cold. Indoors was warmer and a little bit louder/livelier. We chose the patio because it was quieter. We had the vegan platter and the chicken garlic mac n' cheese, both of which were very good! The servers were also very nice and friendly, and the prices were reasonable. Can't wait to go back and try some other menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and brews, slow serviceSDalDined on 12/28/2013First visit. It took it took 70 minutes to get our entrées (no appetizers ordered). Not a particularly busy night. hoping it was a fluke as we really enjoyed the food and quality of drink choices. (Highliner Pinot Noir). Could use more local IPAs. Will give it one more chance.Special Features:
- Much needed in del marOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/22/2013We have needed a bar like this for a long time. Casual but nicely done. Great beer selection (however surprisingly very light on IPA's). Food was great. Grilled cheeses and Mac n cheeses were bomb and plenty left over for lunch the next day. Truffle fries were pretty good but needed a little more truffle. Lighting was a little bright and it was a bit too hot but it was 30 degrees out. Took 30 min to get our drinks, but service after that was good. Will definitely go back. This is our new spot for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.