Stubby's Gastrogrub & Beer Bar
2060 N Humboldt Ave
Milwaukee, WI 53212Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Stubby's Gastrogrub & Beer Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://stubbyspubandgrub.com/
- Phone: 4147638623
- Hours of Operation:
Serving lunch and dinner daily 11AM - 10PM Friday and Saturday late night dinner menu starting at 10PM Sunday brunch 10AM
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Burgers
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant
A word from Stubby's Gastrogrub & Beer Bar
Stubby's Gastrogrub & Beer Bar, a new restaurant concept, was inspired by the travels of this culinary pilgrim: an elusive globe trekker whose affinity for the tastier side of life has spawned a new Milwaukee restaurant. Bridging the gap between fine Milwaukee dining and fun Milwaukee living, Stubby's prides itself on a gluttony of pleasure and experience. Milwaukee is becoming known as the gastronomic boomtown. In the midst of a major social and economic renaissance, the Milwaukee food scene is fueled by some enterprising chefs, entrepreneurial businessmen and a few great specialty food groups. Stubby's is set to take its place at the table as a progressive concept in culinary adventure.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Stubby's Gastrogrub & Beer Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
6 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (6)scenic view (5)good for groups (5)fit for foodies (4)great for lunch (4)neighborhood gem (2)hot spot (2)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)special occasion (1)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Beer for daysSchwen10Dined on 9/6/2014Great patio view, extensive alcohol list. Happy diner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- River Dining - Great Burgers!TheTravelinManDined on 8/30/2014Last minute reservations handled with ease and we were seated promptly. An extensive beer menu satisfied the tastes of all and the menu is extensive and fun. We arrived in time for Brunch or Lunch - so the plates at our table had omelets, and big juicy burgers. Service is exceptional and the view of the river capped off a fun day in Milwaukee.Special Features:
- Great TimeKahunaDined on 6/28/2014Initially we were sitting outdoors, on the patio. As the sun went down so did the temperature (duh) and we were effortlessly seated inside. The beers were good and the food was very good. Our server was excellent. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 69 reviews are from the Stubby's Gastrogrub & Beer Bar reviews archive.
- Disappointing ServiceKatieKDined on 5/8/2014I dined at Stubby's on a Thursday evening with a reservation at 6:00pm. The place isn't overly large and it's set up well so we never felt crowded. They have an extensive beer list both tap and bottles which is why we went. We ordered our appetizer and drinks first and just before our appetizer came out we ordered our meal - so far so good. The food did take a little while, but overall we were having a good time and the food was pretty good so we were pleased. My only complaint is the TERRIBLE service we received at the restaurant. Maybe our server was new, or maybe he just had a lot going on, but we hardly saw him. It took us 45 minutes AFTER we finished eating to get our bill. Now because of bad service, I won't go back.Special Features:
- Burgers & Beer!FredVIPDined on 4/12/2014Great meal, excellent beer, with knowledgeable and efficient service. As busy as it was this Saturday evening, our server was very attentive, the beer arrived timely, and the food was as good as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to watch a gameTrispaceDined on 3/22/2014A great place to meet a group and watch the game. Great tap beer selection, above average bar food very loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stubby'sAlexDined on 3/22/2014Good food. Great spot to eat. Good food. Great spot to eat. Good food. Great spot to eat. Good food. Great spot to eat. Good food. Great spot to eat. Good food. Great spot to eat. Good food. Great spot to eat.Special Features:
- Food good, service a little offmssnappyDined on 3/21/2014the restaurant works with those with food allergies, but if you have celiac, I wouldn't recommend eating here. our waitress wasn't too knowledgeable about the food. My boyfriend ordered the soup of the day that was on the daily specials, and she came out with a completely different soup, and said that she didn't know that there was a change in the soup. Rather than tell him it was not the same soup, and ask if he still wanted it, she just brought it out. And then charged him for it. I did like that the chef came to the table to make sure that I wasn't celiac, and to warn me that they do the best they can, however they don't have specific things in place for gluten-free prep. I might come back someday, but not anytime soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Met friends to watch the PackersFredVIPDined on 11/17/2013And if the Packers won, the visit would have been perfect. The service was great, checking in for replenishing our empty beer glasses, suggesting alternatives, and pacing our food orders. We were very casual, there to watch the game, enjoy our beer, and have some light appetizers. We appreciated the accommodations and our time there, in spite of the Packer loss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back again to a favorite restaurantlanaDined on 9/10/2013Back again to a favorite restaurant of mine. Had the ceasar salad, outstanding. My friend had the mulfalatta sandwich, which was great also. Wonderful views of the Milwaukee River when you are sitting outside or inside right next to the porch. Place is always popular with the lunch crowd. Bar is always hopping anytime day or night. A place worth visiting again and againSpecial Features:
- Love the patio!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2013They have a great patio right on the river and tons of games if you're just into the bar scene. Overall, the food was great and service was great! I'd definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to watch a gameTrispaceDined on 8/23/2013Great beer selection, food is decent and lots of flat screen tv's to watch a game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average placelawrunnerDined on 7/6/2013My husband first ordered a drink (sangria), and the waitress returned to tell us they did not have it. Then, he ordered food (fried chicken), and the waitress told us they did not have it. However, they do have plenty of drink options, so we were both able to find something we liked. Also, the food was very good - the mac & cheese portions are huge. My only gripe is that the coleslaw is very vinegary. Service was friendly, but slow, and she didn't return very often to check on us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at Stubby'slanaDined on 6/5/2013Took two friends to Stubby's for their first time, it was great. One had the gumbo soup, said it was good, had the Stubby burger and thought it was awesome. Fish Taco's and a salad. All were worth a thumbs up. Great place, great food. The two people running the place that day were friendly and very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for what we were lookingdjshaferVIPDined on 6/4/2013Perfect for what we were looking for - casual but good.Special Features:
- Fun atmosphere, friendly serviceJessDined on 5/24/2013Great place for a group; excellent service and friendly staff; will definitely be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't bother... Applebee's ibette.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2013It was loud, the food and service was horrible. They have an extensive beer list, but so does World of Beer- and you can get better food delivered there.
- Average at BestOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2013Service was good, not great. We were sat with 3 adult menus and my 6 year old was also given the beer list. :) They offer a "off menu" children's menu which was nice. My son ordered the flatbread pizza and it was delicious! For starters we ordered their take on the Jalapeno Popper, stuffed with Cream Cheese and Crab, it was really disappointing as there was barely any filling. My husband and I both had the Walleye BLT, which was again, good, not great. Ordered the Pig Stick, fries for an additional $3 and was really disappointed with these as well. They tossed the bacon bits and cheese on top which added nothing to the fries and all ended up at the bottom of the cup. This is not meant to be upscale dining so, for what it is, it's ok.
- Highs and LowsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/19/2013I had the pork belly and eggs and the pork belly was melt in your mouth delicious. The first item my boyfriend ordered they were out of, along with the beer he ordered. He ordered nachos and a different beer and both he didn't care for. There were also a lot of families with kids, which was surprising. We went on a Friday at 5:30 and it was pretty dead so I guess I didn't need a reservation!Special Features:
- very nice location good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/14/2013very nice location good food and good service and a nice selection of beerSpecial Features:
- Nitro Mojo Risen IPA - Outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/30/2013Stubbys was very enjoyable. I am very impressed with the beer selection. My burger was outstanding. Cool stuff to see. A great party atmosphere.
- Excellent place to grab aOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/29/2013Excellent place to grab a drink and/or dinner. Have never had a bad experience at this place. Tasty and reliable!Special Features:
- Stubby's a vibrant place!kmohoDined on 3/16/2013We enjoyed. Will go back this summer as they have a big deck overlooking the river. Lots of different beers to choose from. Our friend liked their burger. My other friend and I had the Reuben which was also good. My husband had a fish sandwich that he said was great. Only drawback was that our waitress was not very attentive.Special Features:
- We had the rueben sandwichesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2013We had the rueben sandwiches which were out of this world! We also enjoyed the pig skins which were fresh fries infused with bacon & parm cheese. High recommend & we will definitely be back!!Special Features:
- Food was excellent and thelanaDined on 3/14/2013Food was excellent and the service was outstanding. Would definately go back. Has a great view of the milwaukee riverSpecial Features:
- Great sports bar with lotshate2cookVIPDined on 3/8/2013Great sports bar with lots of areas to meet friends. Extensive beer selection. Great food.Special Features:
- Bad fricken chicken!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2013The food sounded so good on the menu but was less than impressive when it arrived. I got the good fricken chicken. Menu description was fried chicken, green beans, and corn bread; sounds great right? Wrong, the corn bread was two tiny slivers of what tasted literally, no exageration here like plastic. It was so bad I made my entire party of 6 friends taste it to be sure I wasn't alone In the comparison. The green beans had massive amounts of bread crumbs that were unnecessary and only resulted in making them bland. Lastly the sauce was some kind of raspberry purée that should go on cheese cake not chicken. The only decent part was the chicken which would have been better served with rice and sweet and sour sauce as it was fried in tempura.Special Features:
- Nice selection on food andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2013Nice selection on food and bev. Some beers just too pricey, but overall not too bad. Classic burger was a bit too charred to really enjoy. My wife's fish sandwich was pretty solid. Good fries, just not enough. Servers/bartenders were really nice, but server would disappear for awhile. A little too loud except for talking to the person across from ya. A little too crammed in many spots. A good problem to have I suppose.Special Features:
- Nice findOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/9/2013Was disappointed we couldn't have a normal lunch menu until 3 (brunch only option). However they did mak an exception and get us some cheese curds. Great beer list as well.Special Features:
- Great VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2012I always enjoy a visit to Stubby's. The food and the atmosphere are great. I am always impressed with my meal and this was no exception. I went with a fairly large group which incidentally ended up being larger than the reservation I had made, and the staff did a great job of accommodating the group despite my inability to count heads.Special Features:
- GREAT food. Really diverseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/29/2012GREAT food. Really diverse selection of options. Service was attentive w/out being pesky. We'll definitely return.
- Bacon and Chocolate is a Winner!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/7/2012It's a local pub with flaire! The mussel dish ( I also had a little diner's envy over the filet) is awesome and the desserts are AMAZING! I ordered the chocolate bacon creme brulee and it was a party in my mouth! The selection of local and import brews is funtabulous. I suggest a Crispin Cider for sure. They also have an in house Shandy recipe that's delicious.Special Features:
- One of our regular favorites.FredVIPDined on 8/9/2012One of our regular favorites. The craft beer selection is fabulous and the gourmet casual food is wonderful. We enjoy eating her several times a month!Special Features:
- Porkapalooza Was Awesome!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/4/2012Was pleasantly surprised by the Porkapalooza menu for their 2-year anniversary! Impressive list of tap-beers (53 in all)!! I had the pork-shank on cheese-curd mashed potatoes and the meat was falling off the bone! The only downside was that one of the highchairs for our daughter had a broken strap. : ( Other than that, the food was awesome & will definitely be back!!Special Features:
- I was excited to try stubbys,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/17/2012I was excited to try stubbys, however the food came out Luke warm at best and it notes not quite as expected. As we were celebrating fathers day and 2 birthdays, it was dissapointing.Special Features:
- First of all, if you likeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/15/2012First of all, if you like Tater Tots, you will love theirs! The pulled pork sandwich, bacon bleu cheese burger and the Stubby burger were great! It was a great night to dine on the patiooverlooking the Milwaukee River. Will definitely go back!Special Features:
- High quality food & 53 craft beers!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/2/2012Fantastic restaurant! We are first-time visitors who came for the river-view patio and fantastic craft beer selection and were thrilled with the quality of the food. The service was excellent; Bill (our server) was knowledgeable about the both the food and beer menues and made wonderful suggestions. I highly recommend Stubby's; we look forward to our next visit!Special Features:
- Great appetizers, the stubbyARB1968VIPDined on 5/25/2012Great appetizers, the stubby burger was awesome, besides coming here for good beers they also have a good drink menu. One thing we did order that needed alot of help was the nachos, they lacked flavor. We must of had a newer waitress, she had a hard time keeping up and it wasn't that busy. They have a great outdoor patio.Special Features:
- The food and drink here isOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/20/2012The food and drink here is outstanding. Dining on the patio is a great choice during the warmer months too. The brunch menu and drinks are of particular note.
- Staff was wonderful. We hadforwardbychoiceDined on 5/19/2012Staff was wonderful. We had a couple of special requests, last minute, they were very accommodating. More people need to take the short trip from Brady Street up to Stubby's. You'll be glad you did!Special Features: