Strega North End
379 Hanover Street
Boston, MA 02113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Strega North End
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.stregaristorante.com/
- Phone: (617) 523-8481
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Salvatore Firicano
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For catering inquiries please contact Fruittie at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 617-737-0290.
- Private Party Facilities: Strega can be rented out for private functions
- Private Party Contact: Fruittie Nguyen 617-737-0290x
- Entertainment: Join us on Tuesday nights for Street Magic!
A word from Strega North End
Strega is a hip Italian restaurant in the North End. Come enjoy fantastic food and a great atmosphere!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Strega North End reviews from OpenTable diners
139 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (68)fit for foodies (51)special occasion (44)notable wine list (37)hot spot (31)romantic (30)great for lunch (14)good for groups (13)scenic view (8)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (6)great for brunch (5)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- PonytailedPonytailedDined on 11/19/2014Always a favorite place to bring family after a day in Boston..they always enjoy the ambiance & rave about the food!!!!!...YUM, with a capital "Y". Take advantage of the valet parking..the pumpkin ravioli were the best. The cabonara is addictive. Do Not miss the chocolate mousse, our visitors dream of having it again. It was quiet this visit, but also enjoyed Stregas on busy evenings. It has van energy reminding me of Italy..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food. ..long wait.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Okay. Having been in the restaurant business for many years and been to great restaurants worldwide I can give an honest review. Food was great. One of the best in the north end. Service was very good, though the busboy was looking to grab our plates time and again. Nice wine list. Only one problem. If you make a reservation, there is no reason you need to wait to be seated 45 minutes later. The poor hostess almost was knocked over twice. I would go back again.. but on a slow night where I hope our reservation would have us at our table on time.Special Features:
- True North-End Style RestaurantGrammyDiDined on 11/15/2014Reservations are STRONGLY recommended especially on weekend. Small restaurant with limited amount of tables. When I made reservation, I asked for an "intimate" table because it was our Anniversary. They did their best to accommodate. We waited a few extra minutes beyond our reservation time to get a nice table. Tables are close together due to space restrictions. Service was good. Food was Great!!! Price was reasonable. The General Mgr. was friendly and made our wait quite pleasurable with his sense of humor. Overall we enjoyed the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we loved our trip to Strega.lisawDined on 11/15/2014Overcrowded, typical for north end. Food was delicious, service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strega nothing specialJayPDined on 11/8/2014We went to Strega to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Disappointed by the very close quarters and loud noise. The hostess was not friendly. Appears to be a haven for parties of 8 or more, which creates a very noisy environment. It is not a romantic and quiet place to eat. The food is good but not special. The rice in the risotto was not cooked to completion and the tomatoes were not tasty. Many people were waiting for a seat and it was so packed that they were standing within 2 feet over people that were sitting eating at their tables.
- Doesn't live up to hypeluv2eatDined on 11/4/2014Great food, but loud, tight seating, rude hostess; nothing to really set it apart from many other restaurants in the North End that have a more pleasing, less chaotic atmosphere.
- Fun in the North EndOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/1/2014We chose a night in the North End despite the rain. It was our first visit to Strega and it was thumbs up all the way. Our reservation was on time. The restaurant was packed. The wall of TV's playing movies was fun to watch. Our server was excellent. He had a wonderful accent and described all the specials to us, without reading it off a piece of paper. Our order was taken without anything written down. Everything came out just perfect. The mushroom ravioli appetizer was unbelievable, as were all of our entrees. I ordered the seafood special which had had the freshest seafood and lobster over linguini and white wine sauce. The portions are plentiful. We can wait to go back to Strega in the North End.Special Features:
- FabulosoDolceVitoDined on 10/26/2014Classic Italian. Outstanding dining experience. Logged into web site, made reservation. Requested window seat by the bar. Approved in minutes. Warm friendly service. Made us feel like family. Food outstanding... will cook to order. Calamari was fresh off the boat. Wonderful selection of after dinner liqueurs / deserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome as always!RuesDined on 10/25/2014Awesome food and service...friendly waitstaff always willing to answer questions...reservations a must..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Group night outquickdinerDined on 10/25/2014We had a reservation for 5:30 for 10 people. We got there about 15 minutes early and had to wait to be seated. The place is small as most places in the North end. The Hostess was not very friendly but that was the only downside of the evening. Our waiter (carl?) was excellent. He recommended a variety of appetizers and they were outstanding! Their calamari is to die for. Those of us that got seafood thought it was couldn't believe how fresh and delicious it was. We had no dissapointments with the food. Our waiter also brought out a variety of desserts. There was a carmel custard which was everyone's favorite. They do not serve coffee unless you want expresso.Special Features:
- First visitRacerxDined on 10/20/2014My wife and I have had many dinners in the north end but the food was never like this we had there signature seafood dish half lobster calamari mussels clams shrimp over fettuccini with a garlic white wine sauce it also was available with spicy red sauce it was amazing and the service was also great and despite being full the food came out properly timed. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over cooked pastaNomusypastaVIPDined on 10/20/2014Our pastas were all mushy instead of al dente, waiter mostly ignored us- enjoyed our appetizer more than the mains and the tiramisu was pretty goodSpecial Features:
- Strega delivers againOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/19/2014Another solid meal at Strega. Ordered pasta with meat sauce, a simple dish and it was very tasty. Stuffed eggplant appetizer was excellent. Wait staff suggested a nice bottle of sangiovese. We'll be back again soon. Do be advised that they play gangster movies constantly on one of the walls which includes pretty graphic violence.... some people feel it adds to the atmosphere but others might be put off by the occasional bloody murder on the TV screen.Special Features:
- The Very Best in BostonRunnersDined on 10/18/2014We have been frequenting Strega's North End for about 10 years now and the food, the service, and the experience have been consistently phenomenal. An extensive and excellent wine list serves to compliment the variety of authentic and delicious italian cuisine. For anyone looking for a great meal in Boston, this restaurant is always the first I recommend.Special Features:
- Experienced Hostess neededBUParentDined on 10/17/2014Assume the food is excellent. I say assume because I was not able to taste it. I made a reservation for 8:30 and I finally decided to leave at 9:15. I arrived 10 min early at which point I was told by the hostess to come back to her at 8:30 (rude!). Came back to be told she's working on it and they're a little behind. At 8:45 I asked will she come outside and get me, response was "that's what I do" (rude again). At 9, "still working on it". 9:15 I finally asked her why did they take a reservation that they KNEW they could not honor. More importantly why not communicate that at 8:30? A simple "I know you have a reservation but unfortunately we are 40-50 min behind". Thank GOD for Cantina Italiana accross the street! Seated in 10 min:)
- Truly a Gem!WisconsinDinerDined on 10/15/2014Strega North End surpassed our expectations. It was recommended to us by locals as their favorite, so we knew that it would not be just the "current hot spot". Highly-skilled wait staff, fun atmosphere and most importantly of course---fabulous authentic food!!Special Features:
- rushedMTC57Dined on 10/11/2014Despite making a reservation, we felt rushed. No place to wait for your table (bar is very small and cramped), so it was either be cramped or outside. If the weather is inclement, you are out of luck.
- Great food, great wine!johnoDined on 10/11/2014We arrived early and it was not a problem. Our appetizer was a wonderful combination of seafood and our main courses were delicate, full of flavor and perfectly prepared. Overall among the over 350 restraints in the North End Strega is amoung the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealShakenBakeVIPDined on 10/10/2014Place was loud. Wall of TVs running Godfather movies was a little cheesy. Service was good - a bit laid back. Had to vie for waiter's attention a couple of times. Noted a special occasion (birthday) and saw it noted on hostess station computer but nothing was offered. Food was good. Authentic Italian no doubt. Tasty homemade pasta. Picked the restaurant based on high Zagat reviews but did not think it was exceptional.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding as alwaysVinceDined on 10/2/2014I have been here several times. Carlo is always the best. Let him choose your appetizers. You will never go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice way to enjoy the North EndfoodisgreatDined on 9/29/2014I took my cousins from Poland here and we all enjoyed the excellent food and atmosphere. It has a great feel to the restaurant from the time you enter until you are ready to leave. Definitely worth returning to.Special Features:
- jimdDined on 9/27/2014we had to wait 45 minutes past our reservation. no apology from the hostess 5 large TV's showing 5 mafia movies all the time, crowed , load and average food
- Too many tablesJillyDined on 9/20/2014I thought there were too many tables in the restaurant. We had to squeeze between our table and another diners' so that our clothing and butts rubbed across their table. Once we got settled everything was fine. The hostess was there for her looks only, not her people skills.
- Well kept secretManusmanDined on 9/19/2014Restaurant was recommended by a friend. It was absolutely fantastic. Had our dinner at the bar. The bartender was outstanding helping us with great selection of wine and food. - Note that this restaurant is different from Strega waterfront!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tiny place with big attitudeMcJilekDined on 9/17/2014The restaurant is small, but has an energetic vibe. I loved all the mafia movies playing on the well. It set a neat mobster atmosphere. We waited nearly 30 minutes after our reservation time to be seated. Our server was friendly but quite pushy with his recommendations. The food was very good. We had the gnocchi and the oso bucco.Special Features:
- My favorite North End RestaurantjodiebasketDined on 9/15/2014This is the third time we have eaten here. I love the food and atmosphere. The service is so good. I highly recommend Strega.Special Features:
- Worth the wait!ChicagoanInNYCDined on 9/12/2014Although we were not seated until 9:45pm with a 9:00pm reservation, the food and service was worth the wait. The bartender is amazing at talking care of guests, the servers know the dishes and the food is served promptly - hot and delicious. I highly recommend the burrata as well as the carbonara! The atmosphere is noisy as it's a busy neighborhood place, we are so happy with the experience that we cannot wait to visit Boston again. Thank you, Strega!Special Features:
- Rude and AwfulRUDEDined on 9/12/2014We had a reservation for 6 here this past Saturday evening at 9pm. We arrived at 8:50pm. The hostess noted that they were running "a bit behind", which we said "no problem". We were told rudely that theres nothing she/they could do about it and we could wait at the bar until she tells us its ready. We waited exactly ONE hour. ONE HOUR LATE for our reservation, and the hostess was completely inappropriate and rude and basically told us to suck it up. The restaurant didnt offer us anything, no wine no compensation..nothing after being 1 hour late to sit us. We had friends who had to pay extra for a babysitter d/t the lack of organization of Strega to sit us on time. I would not recommend Strega to anyone. Rude. Late. Food was just ok.
- Like sardines? Want to be one?DCDabVIPDined on 9/12/2014If you like sardines then you'll love this place because you are treated like a sardine in a can; jammed into small tables with virtually no room. We made our reservation through Open Table months in advance and were rewarded with the table closest to the rest rooms. The hostess was a dimwit with no crowd management skills. Even with a reservation, there was nowhere to wait except on the street. The little bar was set up for people eating so if there is a wait, and I guess there always is, you have no place to go. The food was above average Italian but the noise level is ear shattering, especially as it gets later and people get more sloshed. Absolutely, do not go on a weekend. Actually, don't go at all if you are serious about Italian foodSpecial Features:
- Awesomesprice9161Dined on 9/6/2014I organized our yearly dinner (13 attendeesthis year) for 9/6...everyone said its the best place that we've been to i the North EndSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great resturantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014Food was amazing service was amazing people were amazing just didn't like that we made 800 reservations and they made us wait a half hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Experience!birthdayDined on 9/5/2014My husband and I ate here recently for my birthday. We had the most wonderful night. The food was fantastic and the waiter was extremely helpful. We will most certainly be coming back!Special Features:
- peabodyfoodieVIPDined on 9/5/2014Food was great. Service was a little rushed and not attentive. I think more emphasis is put into the Strega Waterfront than on this location. But if the North End is your destination, you can't go wrong for good food and wine.Special Features:
- Good choice for the North EndOhMeOhMyDined on 8/29/2014Although it can be very noisy during the dinner hour, after 9:00 the noise drops radically. None the less, the food is excellent quality (our table had seafood, and the chicken, and the famous veal, too); and the service is wonderful. The Senior wait-person was very helpful in his recommendations -- not at all pushy -- had a great sense of humor, and made us feel at home. His helper wait-person was very attentive and quietly removed plates while replacing wine glasses and silver, without interrupting our dinner; his professionalism definitely showed. Be prepared for in-city Boston prices -- but it was worth it. Recommend using their valet service, if coming in from out of town, because most of the parking lots in the area were full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodKKT603Dined on 8/29/2014I have dined at Strega and its sister restaurants many times and as always the sevice is attentive and friendly, the food is classic meets innovative, and the quality is top notch. Whenever I want a great meal in Boston's North End I head to Strega or Nico.Special Features:
- Excellent PastaIsaGVIPDined on 8/28/2014A small cozy place, the food excellent, try the mozarella and proccuto,and all the pasta variety. Excellent wine list, and the service very nice. I little bit noisy, but you really feel like you are in Italy.Special Features:
- Strega ReviewmarylDined on 8/28/2014We visited Strega for lunch during restaurant week. Food and service were excellent. I will return to try offerings from their regular menu which also looked good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014Strega is definitely overrated. The restaurant was NOT busy, but it still took us a long time to get our food. The waiters didn't come over to ask how everything was but instead just stood around doing nothing. I would not recommend this restaurant if you're looking for a good meal with good service, but if you're looking for something quick then this is the spot for you.Special Features:
- NickVIPDined on 8/26/2014Waiters and Staff connect with you and we felt at home, food was outstanding, a great findSpecial Features:
- MUCH better in the North EndjjpmDined on 8/25/2014For years I have heard the obnoxious ads for Strega and for this reason I thought I would never eat there but since it was a Boston Restaurant choice, we decided to give it a try. Service offered by Bruno was great the food was average. Fried calamari was extremely rubbery and the entrée was about what you would get anywhere. the tiramisu was very average. Glad we got to try it but except for great service, would not return.Special Features: