Strega North End
379 Hanover Street
Boston, MA 02113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Strega North End
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.stregaristorante.com/
- Phone: 6175238481x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Salvatore Firicano
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For catering inquiries please contact Fruittie at email@example.com or at 617-737-0290.
- Private Party Facilities: Strega can be rented out for private functions
- Private Party Contact: Fruittie Nguyen 617-737-0290x
- Entertainment: Join us on Tuesday nights for Street Magic!
A word from Strega North End
Strega is a hip Italian restaurant in the North End. Come enjoy fantastic food and a great atmosphere!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Strega North End reviews from OpenTable diners
132 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (72)special occasion (48)fit for foodies (46)notable wine list (32)hot spot (25)romantic (25)good for groups (16)great for lunch (15)late-night find (11)scenic view (7)great for brunch (5)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Worth the wait!ChicagoanInNYCDined on 9/12/2014Although we were not seated until 9:45pm with a 9:00pm reservation, the food and service was worth the wait. The bartender is amazing at talking care of guests, the servers know the dishes and the food is served promptly - hot and delicious. I highly recommend the burrata as well as the carbonara! The atmosphere is noisy as it's a busy neighborhood place, we are so happy with the experience that we cannot wait to visit Boston again. Thank you, Strega!Special Features:
- Rude and AwfulOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014We had a reservation for 6 here this past Saturday evening at 9pm. We arrived at 8:50pm. The hostess noted that they were running "a bit behind", which we said "no problem". We were told rudely that theres nothing she/they could do about it and we could wait at the bar until she tells us its ready. We waited exactly ONE hour. ONE HOUR LATE for our reservation, and the hostess was completely inappropriate and rude and basically told us to suck it up. The restaurant didnt offer us anything, no wine no compensation..nothing after being 1 hour late to sit us. We had friends who had to pay extra for a babysitter d/t the lack of organization of Strega to sit us on time. I would not recommend Strega to anyone. Rude. Late. Food was just ok.
- Awesomesprice9161Dined on 9/6/2014I organized our yearly dinner (13 attendeesthis year) for 9/6...everyone said its the best place that we've been to i the North EndSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great resturantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014Food was amazing service was amazing people were amazing just didn't like that we made 800 reservations and they made us wait a half hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Experience!birthdayDined on 9/5/2014My husband and I ate here recently for my birthday. We had the most wonderful night. The food was fantastic and the waiter was extremely helpful. We will most certainly be coming back!Special Features:
- peabodyfoodieDined on 9/5/2014Food was great. Service was a little rushed and not attentive. I think more emphasis is put into the Strega Waterfront than on this location. But if the North End is your destination, you can't go wrong for good food and wine.Special Features:
- Good choice for the North EndOhMeOhMyDined on 8/29/2014Although it can be very noisy during the dinner hour, after 9:00 the noise drops radically. None the less, the food is excellent quality (our table had seafood, and the chicken, and the famous veal, too); and the service is wonderful. The Senior wait-person was very helpful in his recommendations -- not at all pushy -- had a great sense of humor, and made us feel at home. His helper wait-person was very attentive and quietly removed plates while replacing wine glasses and silver, without interrupting our dinner; his professionalism definitely showed. Be prepared for in-city Boston prices -- but it was worth it. Recommend using their valet service, if coming in from out of town, because most of the parking lots in the area were full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodKKT603Dined on 8/29/2014I have dined at Strega and its sister restaurants many times and as always the sevice is attentive and friendly, the food is classic meets innovative, and the quality is top notch. Whenever I want a great meal in Boston's North End I head to Strega or Nico.Special Features:
- Excellent PastaIsaGVIPDined on 8/28/2014A small cozy place, the food excellent, try the mozarella and proccuto,and all the pasta variety. Excellent wine list, and the service very nice. I little bit noisy, but you really feel like you are in Italy.Special Features:
- Strega ReviewmarylDined on 8/28/2014We visited Strega for lunch during restaurant week. Food and service were excellent. I will return to try offerings from their regular menu which also looked good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014Strega is definitely overrated. The restaurant was NOT busy, but it still took us a long time to get our food. The waiters didn't come over to ask how everything was but instead just stood around doing nothing. I would not recommend this restaurant if you're looking for a good meal with good service, but if you're looking for something quick then this is the spot for you.Special Features:
- NickVIPDined on 8/26/2014Waiters and Staff connect with you and we felt at home, food was outstanding, a great findSpecial Features:
- MUCH better in the North EndjjpmDined on 8/25/2014For years I have heard the obnoxious ads for Strega and for this reason I thought I would never eat there but since it was a Boston Restaurant choice, we decided to give it a try. Service offered by Bruno was great the food was average. Fried calamari was extremely rubbery and the entrée was about what you would get anywhere. the tiramisu was very average. Glad we got to try it but except for great service, would not return.Special Features:
- 1NOCDined on 8/23/2014Food & drink enjoyed by all. 50 minute wait beyond reservation time was frustrating and it did not seem to bother the staff at all.Special Features:
- Good food but rushed by wait staffiloveeatingDined on 8/23/2014I made a reservation online for a large group. We were celebrating a friend's birthday and I informed the hostess of this when we arrived. When our food arrived, they tried to take our plates almost immediately after serving us. I had to tell the wait staff at least 5 times that I was not done eating. There were still full glasses of wine on the table so it isn't like we were going to chug our wine and leave the restaurant in 5 minutes. I understand they had a line outside the door; however, I am paying to enjoy my meal and receive great service. I did not like feeling rushed to eat my food in 5 minutes. The food was good, but I won't return to this restaurant. There are too many other options in the neighborhood with better service.
- Birthday DinnerdixglataDined on 8/23/2014We recently had several things to celebrate, birthday, work promotion, successful project, etc. We chose to dine at Strega based on past experience. We had a wonderful dinner, as expected. The difficulty for Strega is meeting expectations that have been set very high. But, they managed to pull it off again. Everyone agreed that their dinners were delicious, and the suggested wine was fabulous, while not breaking the bank.Special Features:
- Very good foodPAGS57VIPDined on 8/22/2014Great food and experience. Will return. Sauce is fantastic.
- StregaRAGAZZADined on 8/22/2014Magnificent! Starting with Carlo, the manager, down to the ever attentive busboy, Strega is one of a food aficionado's dreams! Flavorful gnocchi, tender braciola, and a shellfish-lover's menagerie over homemade fettucine. Whenever we come into town, we visit Strega!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary NightMike2423Dined on 8/21/2014I couldn't have picked a better place to celebrate our 42nd wedding anniversary. The food, service, wine and dessert could not have been any better. Our waiter Gianni was fabulous and couldn't do enough for us that night. We did make our reservation with open table and when we arrived our table was ready. This was our first time at Strega and I can say it won't be our last. We have been to Strega on the waterfront and that was also great. Thank you for a wonderful night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wib2Dined on 8/20/2014Service was awful. Would never recommend to anyone.
- okFoodLoverVIPDined on 8/20/2014I went there for Dine out Boston and they didn't ask or give me the dine out Boston menu until I asked. Food was ok. Their tiramisu is awesome. I won't go back there again.
- enjoyed lunchPlymouthPilgriDined on 8/20/2014Met friends for lunch during restaurant week. Had never been there before, enjoyed the meal and the waiter was very attentive.Special Features:
- ServicePalm6Dined on 8/19/2014Our waiter was amazing. He knew the menu like he created it. Went for a birthday and they brought delicious dessert out. Food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night at StregasalfropugliaDined on 8/16/2014We had a great night and wonderful anniversary dinner at Strega. We made reservations thru OpenTable which was a life saver as the North End was packed with people and long lines. We arrived late at the restaurant due to lack of parking in the North End which is no secret in that area. Strega was very accommodating and had a table ready and waiting for us. Great service from our waiter, Carlo from Avellino!Special Features:
- Great atmosphere and serviceEltjrDined on 8/15/2014Great restaurant! Small as all are in this area but very nice atmosphere. The service was excellent. Very accommodating with any special request. The waiter knew his menu and was attentive to our needs. We even asked to relocate after being seated and they did so without even a frown. I would highly recommend !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/12/2014Always great. Always can count on excellent food and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible service. very rudeNorthEndEatsDined on 8/9/2014Hostess was rude from the start. Waited 45mins after reservation and still never got seated. Kept telling us table would be ready in 5min however it never was. People came after us and we're seated before because they seemed to know the staff. Overall terrible experience. would not recommend to anyone. There are much better places in the area with accommodating and much friendlier staff.
- Strega is amazing!SuzeQ2Dined on 8/9/2014We had the most wonderful dining experience here. Highly recommend if you are visiting Little Italy. Must make reservations or you'll never get in. Lobster Ravioli was amazing as was all our courses.!Special Features:
- Dinner with MichelleRomanceDined on 8/9/2014It truly was our first sit down dinner that we had prior to our first date 2 1/2 months ago. We had a table overlooking the street and the atmosphere was energetic. Service was good and the food was fantastic. The wine was a little overpriced but for the evening money was not an issue. The restaurant made a great start to a fantastic evening.Special Features:
- Just great!CharlotteTravelerDined on 8/5/2014Went to Strega on the recommendation of a friend. A little put off by the movie screens, fortunately my husband sat facing them. Strega is a small place, though bigger than some in the North End. Tables close together but the ambiance of the restaurant is very friendly, so it works out well. The food is excellent - the Fettucini Strega was loaded with seafood - the quality of the shrimp and scallops was very high. Homemade pasta, perfectly cooked. We also had the lamb chops and they were also excellent. Unfortunately out of the braciole. As others have said, the place has many regulars, an acapella singing group on Tuesdays (good singers, fun, not obtrusive). Hostess seated us promptly and was very professional. Server knew his stuff.Special Features:
- Great meal!PAGS57VIPDined on 8/3/2014The food was excellent. Great meal on a Sunday. Will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food - movies a bit muchkelliosoDined on 8/2/2014While there was nothing particularly special about the inside of this small North End restaurant (other than the six movies playing on the side wall - which are fun, but also a bit much after a while), the food was very good. Both pasta dishes that we had were very good as well as the appetizers. The dessert - tiramisu - was not great. Would definitely go back for dinner and then go elsewhere for dessert. Not a restaurant for children, though. It is a tight space and the movies playing are not appropriate for children at all - extremely violent and nudity. Again, good food but not an amazing dining experience.
- Good but could have been GreatCathyVIPDined on 8/2/2014Location was great, food was really good as well but the staff didn't add to the experience to make it GREAT. There are a lot of good restaurants in the North End and we were surprised at how little effort was put in to make us feel welcomed and make our dining experience GREAT. If you want a good meal check out Strega but don't expect a warm welcome or friendly wait staff to accompany the good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strega North EndJulieGDined on 8/1/2014We had a delicious meal at Strega North End on Friday night. Window seat for four was great for people watching as the North End was crowded with locals and tourists for the Saint Aggriappe Festival and/or just out to enjoy a warm, summer night. The North End was busy, as was Strega. Although a bit loud and crowded, the food and service were excellent. We did not sample the traditional Italian fare - my group enjoyed the filet mignon, Porterhouse steak and the veal chop special. Everyone's meat was grilled to perfection and prepared to their liking. The sauce that accompanied the filet was delicious. The service was wonderful - a head waiter and two junior waiters/bus boys hustled, and yet they were not hovering over us either. Perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed and aggravated!ShuladyDined on 8/1/2014The woman at the door was a snob. We had a reservation and had been waiting 20 minutes but she kept seating everyone else first - people who just walked in. We figured it was because they were men in suits and we were tourists in shorts. She kept telling us to have a drink at the bar. Two seats finally opened up at the bar and she said we could sit there or wait another 15 minutes for a free table. We opted for the bar. Then she came over and asked us if we used open table a lot. When i said yes, she then told me she had cancelled our reservation since we were sitting at the bar but would go ahead and give us the 100 points anyway. What?!?!?! We showed up. We were going to have dinner? Why she thought she was doing us a favor I'm not sure!
- Perfect restaurant w/ great food!AshleyjeanneDined on 8/1/2014I took a bachelorette party here for dinner this weekend and it was fantastic! From the hostess to the waiters everything was perfect! The staff was friend and the food was delicious. I will return soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, expect to be ignored!katieinnbptDined on 7/31/2014We have been to strega several times and each time I'm left wishing for a better experience. We were all but ignored due to the many regular customers there. The food is excellent, but not enough to make me return due to the service. We sat down and watched 2 different tables of regulars get waited on before us. Everyone I asked said "your waiter will be right over" but it took forever. Then he told us the specials but he took so long to come to take our order that they ran out. We won't be back, although I honestly want to love this place.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceHealthspeakerVIPDined on 7/28/2014Helpful, friendly wait staff, well-prepared, high quality food. We were warmly greeted by each staff member and given a very nice table. I would not hesitate, to return, particularly if wanted to impress an out-of-town guest. I would rate overall higher if it were not for the prices which I felt were on the higher side even for Boston, my hometown.
- Enjoyable mealKdillDined on 7/20/2014We enjoyed our meal! Great service, nice wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strega North EndOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/16/2014Another outstanding dinner at the Strega. I had a wonderful Veal Sorrentina and my wife had an excellent sea bass. Eash was paired with the appropriate homemade pasta, also outstanding. the appetizer we had, a porcinci mushroom ravioli, was to die for. We went there for my wife's birthday; it was worth driving three hours. Our waiter, Gianni, was spot-on, and tried to make my wife, who was not feeling well, as comfortable as possible.Special Features: