Street and Co.
33 Wharf St.
Portland, ME 04101Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Street and Co.
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.streetandcompany.net/
- Phone: 207-775-0887
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Riley Shryock
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Dana St.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Wharf St. is closed to vehicular traffic after 5pm except for handicapped access. There are metered spots on the surrounding streets (no charge after 6pm.) There is a public parking garage located one and a half blocks away on Fore St. and a public parking lot is located one and a half blocks away on Commercial St.
A word from Street and Co.
Street and Co. is a Mediterranean, bistro style, all-seafood restaurant with a dynamic atmosphere and 20 years of experience. We are located in the Old Port district just blocks away from Portland’s working waterfront. Our chefs focus on serving the freshest seafood and the best ingredients available from local purveyors, fishermen and organic farmers. They prepare a simple yet creative menu that highlights the ingredients. Our personalized wine list truly complements the cuisine and we offer a classic full bar. We serve our full menu at the bar itself and feature a raw bar with a variety of local oysters and seasonal shellfish. Street and Co.’s comfortable lounge is great place to get together for drinks and appetizers or to enjoy while waiting for a table. Al fresco dining is available from Memorial Day through September.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Street and Co. - Best Restaurants in Portland ›
Street and Co. reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (41)special occasion (37)neighborhood gem (29)romantic (25)hot spot (20)notable wine list (17)good for groups (8)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (3)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Not what I was hoping for....DisappointedDiner01Dined on 8/21/2014Food was good but not over the top. Main course was nicely prepared but side dishes were very average. My issues are the following -- Portland is very casual but even so the wait staff had white under shirts and khakis -- shirts were wrinkled. I watched several servers adjust their hair, touch their faces then cut the bread with no gloves -- YUCK !!!!! The beer list is very limited. Tables are very close and very small for 2 people. Noise level was uncomfortable and I could clearly hear the conversations around me but could hardly hear at my own table. Charming decor. Our waitress was very knowledgeable regarding menu and preparation. I heard so many rave reviews but it did not live up to my expectations.
- Always a favorite...FoodieQueen007Dined on 8/16/2014My husband and I have always enjoyed Street and Company. This was our fifth visit. We always try eat here when in Portland. WE were truly delighted with our visit. I would however not recommend sitting in the area where the kitchen is located. Way too hot! We will visit again just ask to be seated in the other room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in Portland and the northeast!NotAFoodieDined on 8/15/2014We've been going since 1999 and haven't found a better spot, anywhere. Amazing food, great wait staff, tolerant to kids and somehow a great couples place too. We live in a great foodie town too (Providence RI) but Street & Co is our favorite place in the northeast to eat (I'm leaving my mind open to finding someplace better - eventually, somewhere). They are, unfortunately, getting so popular you need a reservation way in advance (though they take walk ins too). We love it (obviously) - lobster fra diavolo is amazing, though we got the bluefish last time and it was also amazing.) I can't think of any negatives (except the only spot we could get was at 9:30 on a Friday night - very late for a family meal for us.) Wish we lived closer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalKateDined on 8/15/2014Street & Co. just might be the best restaurant in this foodie city! Truly exceptional.Special Features:
- Street and Co.LUVLUVDined on 8/14/2014The setting could be enjoyed by groups, as well as couples. The food possessed great flavors and obviously was made by a chef with a passion. As far I could tell by the menu and offered specials there were no obvious "red meat" options, which is simply something to note if your company has a preference for aged steaks. As a fish lover, I would return but might have to seek out other options to please all involved parties.Special Features:
- RiverheadDestinationVIPDined on 8/10/2014Wonderful seafood and a great sense that everyone care about the food - the source, the ingredients, the presentation, the temperature and, most of all, the flavour.Special Features:
- Best in PortlandOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/7/2014Never disappoints. Wonderful and fresh seafood prepared in imaginative ways. Always a special evening.Special Features:
- Better in the off season...FoodieVIPDined on 8/3/2014Dining on a crazy August weekend is not a good idea. The food is still very good, but they a turning and burning this time of year. Plate presentations are not as thoughtful when slammed - example was overcooked summer squash with 2 boiled potatoes and grilled halibut. I get that simple is back in style, but that does not mean put little or no effort into creativity. My plate looked like something our mothers severed in the 1970's. Linguini and Red Clams, on the other hand, was presented in a hot pan and looked interesting and rustic. Very cool. Desserts were fantastic. Service was friendly, but again, rush em in and rush em out. No personal touches and zero time at the table…the classic drop and run. Visit in the winter when they need us.
- SolidTriksiVIPDined on 7/21/2014As usual, the food was terrific. I now order linguine and clams in white sauce at no other restaurant. I live in Boston and Street is definitely worth the drive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overrated and noisywinniethepooh986Dined on 7/15/2014Overall, its a decent restaurant. Giving the high price paid, I would have expected Air Conditionning. Was over 90F in the restaurant with an outside ambient of 75. Julie's Lobster was undercooked. When returned, she had the claw meat come back stir-fried !!!Special Features:
- Quality and attention to detaillocalfoodieDined on 7/9/2014Rustic setting in the heart of the Old Port. Nothing in the meal felt like an afterthought. You expect the featured ingredient in the entrée to be well prepared and presented, as ours were. But even the accompaniments, the olive oil mashed potato, the black barley with Swiss chard, and the summer squash medley were given attention in their preparation and weren't just plate fillers. Service was friendly and attentive, ambience is cozy (but does get a little noisy as the place fills us and the wine flows), portions are appropriate - neither too small nor too big - and we never felt rushed. Definitely going back. I'd say definitely for the scallops in Pernod and cream, but it was all terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the Best in Portland123delishVIPDined on 7/8/2014Street and Co. Was so amazing, we ate here two nights in a row. The first night we had our dinner at the bar. Enjoyed visiting with the Bartenders and other patrons. The selection of oysters was fabulous. Just delicious. The sale with Cherries and goat cheese was awesome. (Had it both nights). The calamari appetizer was superb. The swordfish was a wonderful entree. This restaurant is a MUST!!! The servers were so attentive, polite, and friendly.Special Features:
- Good food, ambience and settingRebeccaDined on 7/5/2014The food here is good without being memorable or striking or unique. This is casual, relatively simple dining concepts in an energetic setting. The staff are friendly and warm - open kitchen sets a good vibe. Love the decor and low ceilings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousthellamaDined on 6/29/2014Must haves: Sole de Francaise, Scallops in Pernot, small plates... all of them.... Their appetizers are not huge, so if you intend to share make sure you get two or expect just a little each, the small plates are basically a few bites, but not to be missed. I had a special app of hake roe which was to die for. Highly recommend! Definitely get reservations a week or so in advance during the tourist season.Special Features:
- Long-time admirers disappointedfoodiemusicianDined on 6/25/2014We've been going to Street and Company for years and always got reliably excellent food. This time was pretty disappointing. Sole Francaise was so salty it was nearly inedible. I sent it back, something I seldom do. Replacement was as salty as the first. Either the chef forgot my request that they cut down on the salt, or he thought he knew better than me how to season the dish. Ironically the woman sitting at the table next to us had broiled sole, also sent hers back and also received a replacement that was identical to the first. Sole Francaise has only flour dusting and butter. Hers had only butter, so it couldn't even be blamed on a salty sauce.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014The service was excellent and the oysters, stuffed squid, and scallops were incredible! We will definitely be going there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we went...once.WannaBMainerDined on 6/19/2014We went to Street and Co. based on several local's recommendations. I guess we did not "get" the experience. Food options were varied but mostly on the unusual side. That is great if you are an adventurous eater, if not the options are limited. The food was very good but not oustanding. Of the 4 great, highly rated restaurants we ate at while in Maine, my wife and I both rank Street and Co. at the bottom for overall dining experience. Service level was outstanding, dining room was crowded and a little noisy. We are glad we went but with so many other great dining options in the Portland scene, doubt we go back.Special Features:
- A must do in PortlandSeafoodiemustDined on 6/17/2014Street and company is a place you must go to while in Portland. The food is excellent as is the service. One of the highlights of our trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delicious seafoodCHRISMPARKERDined on 6/13/2014STREET & CO. is my favorite place in Portland d for seafod, broiled, grilled, or baked their food is excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Street and Co has lost its ambienceBlizzardDined on 5/27/2014It had been several years since we were back in Portland and we were really looking forward to our reservation at Street and Co. We used to love this restaurant for its small, romantic, dimly lit charm and ambience. The food is still great, but the space has lost its charm. Now that they have expanded, the space feels more like a diner. Bright lights, crowded tables, sterile dining room décor, hurried, impersonal wait staff, and extremely noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/23/2014My friend and I came to Portland for a girls weekend away and decided to try Street & Co. For dinner. We had many people recommend it to us. The food was phenomenal. The atmosphere was quaint and cozy. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for delicious, fresh seafood! I would also suggest making a reservation, it was booked solid when we went, so I'm glad we had reservations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/21/2014Every time we come to Portland, our first evening always has to be spent at Street and Company. The food is always consistently outstanding - especially the scallops in Pernod - served straight from the pan. Perfection!Special Features:
- Great food, good pricedisapointedDined on 5/19/2014Great food, great atmosphere, a bit pricey, but a great night out. Consider reservations! Even Monday nights are packedSpecial Features:
- A favorite when in PortlandJDTokyoDined on 5/15/2014Always enjoy going to Street & Co. when I am visiting Portland. Seafood is fresh and tasty. The restaurant itself is a bit on the noisy side, which would be fine except if anyone is hard of hearing, in which case it may be hard to hear people's conversations at your own table.Special Features:
- Never disappoints!blrbostonDined on 5/11/2014The go to place for wonderful seafood dishes in a cozy rustic setting!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- go fishskipeatsDined on 5/9/2014I have not tried them all of course, but over the years, after trying many, Street & Co. remains the best restaurant in Portland for seafood, and Portland ME is a seafood town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice meal, great serviceDebBruDined on 5/7/2014This is an all seafood restaurant, meals were very good. Mine was sole Francaise, very good, the fish was delicious, perhaps a little less olive oil could have been used. My spouse had grilled Tuna which was outstanding. Veggies were properly cooked al dente. Initially we received the wrong appetizer but it was quickly corrected when brought to the attention of the waitress's. There are some quite corners in the restaurant and what looks like a nice bar, however, in general, there are several large tables and the acoustics lends itself to a noisier versus quieter setting. However, we did not find this very much of a detractor, the liveliness is nice also.Special Features:
- Great Dinnerjoet626Dined on 5/6/2014Went specifically for the lobster fra diavalo, as many people had told me and written that it was great and it did not disappoint. The lobster was good but the mussels were the best part of the dish. Wine list is not lengthy but good and our server, Morgan, identified a good choice. Her service was great. Often I rate service by how attentive they are to my water glass, as I drink a lot of it with dinner, and they were right on it. Not too crowded on a Tuesday night. Had a great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 428 reviews are from the Street and Co. reviews archive.
- Street & Company is the BestreaderinvtDined on 4/29/2014We have dined here for a number of years. A bit tougher for us to get to Portland now that we live in VT, but when we do come to town we make sure to visit and enjoy a fabulous seafood meal. My husband had the scallops in a Pernod sauce, his perennial favorite. I enjoyed the swordfish which was accompanied by a delicious warm potato dish enlivened by capers.Special Features:
- Always amazing.sericVIPDined on 4/24/2014I've been coming here for years, and just returned after being away for a while. The Sole Francaise is one of my favorite dishes ever. I dream about it. And it's always amazing.Special Features:
- goodcrackerDined on 4/24/2014An intimate, cozy place. Fun to watch the kitchen at work. Our appetizer of fresh sardines was just OK. Couldn't manage a single bite without bones which made the experience unpleasant. Shared the lobster with pasta. Cooked perfectly, although I do not enjoy handling lobster claws that are slippery in oil and garlic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy Dinner...SlaterockDined on 4/23/2014This was our 1st time at Street and Co. but will not be our last. Nice wine selection, good service and food. We had dinner on a Wednesday and as we walked back to our car we noticed Street and Co. was the only restaurant with people in it and they were full. Good sign of a great place to eat.Special Features:
- Dogsitter3Dined on 4/16/2014Delicious mussels in white wine and garlic with a great mesclun salad. Attractive decor and knowledgeable waitstaff. They let us stay at the table for over two hours without hassling us. Nice meeting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic mealOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/14/2014i had the lobster and it was divine. my clothes stunk for days in my suitcase with all the garlic, but the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodluv2dineDined on 4/12/2014We had amazing food, but boy, was the disappointment there when we found out that 2 items from the menu were not available :(. Regardless, the food was AMAZIGN, tables way too close to one another...but all in all, good experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overrated. Too much like aJbwbVIPDined on 4/8/2014Overrated. Too much like a factory operation. Many better choices in the city.
- Top NotchGourmandoDined on 4/5/2014Great ambiance and wonderful seafood. Even the butter was wonderful. Menu, except for appetizers (and dessert, of course), is all seafood so no main course options for those who don't like seafood or have allergies. The appetizers and salads, however, looked so good I could have made a meal of several of them. The lobster and linguine dish I ordered had an entire lobster and was reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Fantastic FishShmullyDined on 3/22/2014Went with a group of 4, the mussels to start were excellent. Everybody got a different entre and all were thrilled with the preparation. Homemade limoncello was the perfect way to finish it all off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- March reviewnewenglanderDined on 3/21/2014We had a delicious dinner on a Friday night in March. Thankfully we had booked this reservation a couple weeks ahead as we only had 2 choices for time, 5:45 or 8:00. Since we were traveling we chose 5:45. The place fills up quickly. I would suggest dressing in layers as the temperature of the restaurant got very hot. We had very attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get there early for Business!BusinessTravelerDined on 3/19/2014Arrived with reservations for 2 at 5:30. Was relatively quite for about 30-45 minutes. The food was timed almost perfectly with the crowd. We were able to cover our business needs and then settle in for a nice meal and more casual conversation. Food was delicious, the service prompt, and the atmosphere wonderful