Street and Co.
33 Wharf St.
Portland, ME 04101Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Street and Co.
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.streetandcompany.net/
- Phone: (207) 775-0887
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Riley Shryock
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Dana St.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Wharf St. is closed to vehicular traffic after 5pm except for handicapped access. There are metered spots on the surrounding streets (no charge after 6pm.) There is a public parking garage located one and a half blocks away on Fore St. and a public parking lot is located one and a half blocks away on Commercial St.
A word from Street and Co.
Street and Co. is a Mediterranean, bistro style, all-seafood restaurant with a dynamic atmosphere and 20 years of experience. We are located in the Old Port district just blocks away from Portland’s working waterfront. Our chefs focus on serving the freshest seafood and the best ingredients available from local purveyors, fishermen and organic farmers. They prepare a simple yet creative menu that highlights the ingredients. Our personalized wine list truly complements the cuisine and we offer a classic full bar. We serve our full menu at the bar itself and feature a raw bar with a variety of local oysters and seasonal shellfish. Street and Co.’s comfortable lounge is great place to get together for drinks and appetizers or to enjoy while waiting for a table. Al fresco dining is available from Memorial Day through September.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Street and Co. - Best Restaurants in Portland ›
Street and Co. reviews from OpenTable diners
78 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (57)special occasion (43)neighborhood gem (29)hot spot (21)romantic (19)notable wine list (13)good for groups (8)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- The Taste of the FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/23/2014I ended up having a horrendous case of Montezuma's Revenge the next morning. After clearing matters out, I was forced to crawl back into bed, for a bit over an hour and stayed there in a fetal position. I thoroughly enjoy seafood and reasonable spices. This was NOT the case with the octopus and the tuna. The items themselves were excellent, but hey were exceptionally spicy with everything having WAY too much salt. Why do cooks insist upon adding salt to seafood? Lastly, the octopus dish and green beans were, as is usual in todays market, very oily. Whatever happened to boiled or steamed vegetables? It seems as if everything has to be drowned or at least drizzled in oil. Would I go back, absolutely for the ambiance? But I would have to request as little salt as possible, and easy on the hot spices, which I neglected to do with the server. Our server was very knowledgeable, attentive and personable and the restaurant was a unique establishment in having a bit of class without the excessive and ungodly noise that seems so prevalent in today's market, most notably in the major cities such as Boston and New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed dinner in unique settingBoblesDined on 11/11/2014Street & Co. has a great atmosphere, what I would say is cozy but also unique, with a low, timbered ceiling. The chefs are right out there in the open, so it's fun to glance over while talking with friends to see them at work. There is a constant hum of noise but I didn't have to speak any louder than normal to be heard. I went with three others and they all loved their food (mussels with linguine, halibut, shrimp with garlic and linguine). My small plate was great (roasted beets) and my salad entrée of arugula was good, although a bit unexciting and the brussel sprouts needing to be slightly more cooked. All in all, we had a great time, spending 2.5 hours there without ever feeling rushed.Special Features:
- Portland gemOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/6/2014Excellent food, outstanding service and nice setting. Reasonably priced for the experience.Special Features:
- Best seafood!foodie51Dined on 11/4/2014We have gone to this restaurant every time we make our annual trip to Portland. It is consistently wonderful. For an appetizer, I get the mussels, and my husband eats about two loaves of bread dipping into the amazing sauce! This time he had a salmon special; I had halibut. Excellent. They do a great job with the veggies on the side, too. The place was packed, but our server handled everyone with grace. She even took the time to ask the chef what the parsnip puree was seasoned with, so she could tell me and I could try to make it at home. The meal was perfectly paced. We love Street and Co. We'll be back next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed for the first timetoughtuna31Dined on 10/25/2014After waiting months for a reservation the food experience was fair at best. For the $31 dollar price the yellow fin tuna was cooked as we had asked, but was fibrous and even tough to cut with knife. Not sure what went wrong but something did!Special Features:
- 10/23/14OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014Selected Street and Co from Trip Adviser reviews. If you enjoy seafood, this is the place. Susan, our server, enthusiastically described the dishes. I had to sample the crab and mushroom bread pudding. Very "crabby" and smooth. For the entree there was a generous serving of pernod scallops and they were absolutely scrumptious. The wine is a bit pricey and the pinot grigio was not as crisp as I prefer, but the overall dinner should be experienced by all who enjoy seafood.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/22/2014Street has a really cool vibe and the food was delicious. You must have the mussels appetizer. Our waitress was very generous with our complementary bread. Friend had the blue fish, which was tasty. Husband and I had the lobster diavolo. The lobster was very flavorful and we had enough to take home. Had the leftovers last night and I think the linguine tasted even better. Dessert was a chocolate hazelnut torte that was pretty awesome.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014Great atmosphere - homey reception area. Love the location on an old cobblestone street -- feels like Dickens. My two friends had great meals and enjoyed the oyster appetizers. I had the garlic butter shrimp on pasta and the shrimp was so overcooked I could barely chew through it. Very surprised by that. Also, expect to have a sore throat by the end of the evening! It's very loud and you'll need to raise your voice if you want to be heard.I would recommend this to a friend.
- maine-gnificent!speprDined on 10/20/2014everything waa great!! try the scallops!! to die for!! the whole fish? melts out the bone! good wine list would love to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Seafood in PortlandJudiVIPDined on 10/16/2014We have been going to Street and Co for many years. You cannot beat the Sole Francaise. I know exactly what I am going to order for an entrée and I believe I have only varied from my favorite once in all the times that I have eaten there. That meal was good - but the Sole is spectacular. I vary my appetizer or salad which is always good as well. This time I had a small taste of Dates stuffed with gorgonzola and almonds served over a balsamic glaze - delicious. I would highly recommend this restaurant but MAKE RESERVATIONS EARLY as they are very difficult to get. This is a relatively small, intimate restaurant and has a very lively atmosphere. The servers help each other which means you always receive piping hot dishes.Special Features:
- Great food but close quartersMattDined on 10/14/2014Amazing food! The tables are very close and we had a very loud group by us. If you are looking for a quiet, intimate meal, I would not recommend for that occasion but the food was absolutely incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice meal but not spectacularOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/13/2014Enjoyable but not the most memorable meal I've had in Portland.Special Features:
- aaa1VIPDined on 10/9/2014Great food and service. Make a reservation otherwise be prepared to wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect seafood restaurantchristofDined on 10/7/2014Friends from Portland recommended the Restaurant as "best seafood in town". So our expectations were high. We had grilled octopus and maine crab and leek bread pudding as starters and then grilled lobster on linguine and with the desert it was just delicious. Together with the very good service it was a perfect evening.Special Features:
- Great seafood, great serviceIntrepidtooDined on 10/7/2014Bustling restaurant with attentive service and delicious seafood. The lobster diabolo (whole lobster cooked in the pan with clams, mussels and calamari) is an excellent choice for twoSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/7/2014Street and Company food and service were excellent. Only negative part was our table was wobbly and waitstaff had to put something under the leg twice. Also, in our corner the tables were so tight, I was actually elbow to elbow with a gentlemen at the next table and four loud ladies next to us so my wife and I celebrating our 36th wedding anniversary could hardly hear each other from across the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Street and Co. NEVER dissapointsPabloYCarinaDined on 10/7/2014We travel to Kennebunkport every other year from Seattle and always make a trip North to Portland for the day, followed by dinner at the Street. It has been close to 20 years now and we have never been disappointed with any aspect of our dining experience, not an iota. When we find a place we love, we stick with it, until the love affair ends. We still love the Street. You must try the Scallops in Pernod and cream- it is amazing. The Sole Francaise can also not be matched. Try the Street, you will love it!Special Features:
- Still a great Portland dining spotLovePortlandFoodDined on 10/7/2014Hadn't been to Street for a few years, but this is still one of the best restaurants in Portland. It's all about fresh seafood, simply prepared with some interesting small plates, salads and excellent bread adding to the dining experience. One of the specials was a fish stew with a tomato base that included mussels, clams, shrimp and swordfish perfectly prepared and served piping hot. The rest of our party of four had swordfish, tuna and salmon, all simply grilled and served with roasted red potatoes and broccoli. The fish portions were quite large and everyone enjoyed their choice. We sat in the room past the kitchen and to the left. The dining area is definitely tight and pretty loud, but less so than the area in front of the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodAdrianneVIPDined on 9/30/2014We try to come here everytime we are in maine. The food is delicious. The dining rooms are small and tight. You will know your neighbors by the time you are finished. Its a good thing cause you learn what you should eat. Since it is an open kitchen the room can get a little warm. All worth it. You really should make a reservation. I was so surprised that on a tuesday night at the end of sept the place was packed. We ate the lobster and salmon and clams and a salad. Everything was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuzanneDined on 9/30/2014interesting menu. Good bread. Tables very close - felt like we were dining with next table.Special Features:
- Street and Co. is a Portland MUST !JJChicagoDined on 9/30/2014Excellent Oysters selection, the mussels were delicious, the grilled octopus was outstanding and the broiled scallops were delicious. And., the toasted brandy pecan pie and ice cream was a perfect ending to a perfect evening.Special Features:
- sole soulPaulFDined on 9/28/2014Dined here Sunday night and had an excellent meal, sole francaise for me and calamari pasta for my wife. I noticed another reviewer complained about this dish but mine was done to perfection. I also dined here in January, scallops & also very good. The wine list was a little disappointing although we had a 1/2 bottle of Graves that was very good, but apparently the last bottle that they had.Special Features:
- MarkymarcDined on 9/28/2014Best seafood in town! Always first choice with visitors and special friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOUDSteveg1485VIPDined on 9/26/2014I've never really been one to care about the noise level of a restaurant but honestly having to book three months in advance, still have get a 9pm reservation, first time in Portland and it being my wife's birthday I just wanted a little but of a better experience. The food is as good as advertised and if you want expertly cooked fish done right with no frills, this is the place for you but, really....put a wall up near the kitchen! Service was also pretty lacking and it sucks when all the specials are gone but are still told about them. We felt rushed and an afterthought the whole time. Not the sort of thing you want having to book a place that much in advance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DbtdbjDined on 9/25/2014Wonderful! The food - yummy, the service - awesome! Even sitting at the bar is fun! Always look forward to going back ! DbtdbjSpecial Features:
- outstanding seafoodJpatDined on 9/22/2014Recently dined here to celebrate my wife's birthday. (this is a great special occasion restaurant) I had shrimp in pasta and garlic while my wife thoroughly enjoyed the scallops pernod. We had the mussels as an appetizer. All dishes were excellent! The only area that did not excel was the service..........while it was sufficient, it did not stand out as one might expect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014I have traveled the world but the Halibut special was one of the best meals I have ever eaten. You simply cannot go wrong with eating here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not live up to the hypeJoelDined on 9/18/2014We were seated at a table that was pushed right into the corner. I felt like the other people dining there were at our table too. There was hardly enough room. I was disappointed to see that all the waitstaff were wearing shorts and sneakers. Not what I would expect for $30 a plate. The restaurant was loud and we could hardly talk. Not a very romantic place to take a date. On the positive side the main dishes were outstanding. Fish was cooked perfectly. But we were disappointed with our sides, cold mashed potatoes and overcooked summer squash, which automatically come with your dish. Again for $30 a plate you think you would get more then potatoes and a veggie
- Well, that was a disappointmentsunsetrockDined on 9/17/2014So hard to get in, so little to admire... mussels just a whiff of "off" when the plate arrived, so perhaps a bit past their moment... nice big serving, but several unopened, so that means dead, right? Meh. At the server's recommendation—fish stew. Always a chancy pick as it's so hard to get all the elements to cook to their peak, and this one had that problem. Tuna well done, shrimp just so-so and those same mussels... Wine recommendation proved to be a thin bourgogne. When we commented we were told, "because the chef doesn't want the wine to overshadow the food." No danger of that on this choice. Scallops in pernod were very nice, and the salad with bites of beet and a lovely dressing... still left wondering "why all the fuss?"Special Features:
- RiveraVIPDined on 9/15/2014The Best - right up there with the largest cities in the USSpecial Features:
- Best meal for two dealFoodPrincessDined on 9/14/2014I came in for the lobster diavolo and left satisfied and full. The spicy sauce wasn't too spicy and had bursts of flavor - especially if you're a fan of garlic. There was a good amount of seafood. The only downer was the small pieces of broken shells within the pasta that broke off during the cooking process. Areas to improve: provide warm bread rather than coldSpecial Features:
- A truly perfect date night!HappyDinerDined on 9/13/2014Went here on the recommendation from a friend while we were visiting Portland. This was our anniversary dinner, and it was simply divine. The food was absolutely delicious, the waitress was well informed, and the portions were generous. Really felt like a special occasion without the extra stuffiness, while also getting our money's worth. Delicious and fresh, and a really fun atmosphere. Well worth the visit!Special Features:
- Amazing seafoodStephieDined on 9/10/2014This restaurant was nothing short of amazing! Being from Boston the area and the outside of the restaurant looks skeptical. But when you walked in it was a antique rustic feel. The waiters, bar tenders are extremely nice. We met a bar tender who offered tasting of the wine before we actually order wine. The waiter was well knowledgeable about the menu and bad great recommendations. We came into this restaurant with our mindset on what we wanted (from looking at previous) reviews. After speaking to our waiter we changed our mind and it was worth it! We met a couple from England. This place seemed to receive tourist dinners! Anyway, the foods was splendid and the wine was amazing!I will definitely be back when I come back to Portland, Maine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DinnerdiningmavenDined on 9/8/2014We are in Maine for a vacation & based on the good reviews, thought we would try Street. We went on a Monday. I had the blackened swordfish special and my wife had the branzino special. We both agreed that it was the best meal we had the entire week. Make your reservations and be prepared for your experience being everything a fine dining experience should be. Wine, food and service were top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentLocaleaterOGVIPDined on 9/8/2014always great food. i come every year and am always pleased with the meal and service.Special Features:
- Fine dining experience.LuvOldPortDined on 9/8/2014Excellent food...beautifully presented. Waitstaff competent , unobtrusive. Location and service felt close to a European dining experience. Busy and buzzing on a Monday evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I was hoping for....DisappointedDiner01Dined on 8/21/2014Food was good but not over the top. Main course was nicely prepared but side dishes were very average. My issues are the following -- Portland is very casual but even so the wait staff had white under shirts and khakis -- shirts were wrinkled. I watched several servers adjust their hair, touch their faces then cut the bread with no gloves -- YUCK !!!!! The beer list is very limited. Tables are very close and very small for 2 people. Noise level was uncomfortable and I could clearly hear the conversations around me but could hardly hear at my own table. Charming decor. Our waitress was very knowledgeable regarding menu and preparation. I heard so many rave reviews but it did not live up to my expectations.
- Always a favorite...FoodieQueen007Dined on 8/16/2014My husband and I have always enjoyed Street and Company. This was our fifth visit. We always try eat here when in Portland. WE were truly delighted with our visit. I would however not recommend sitting in the area where the kitchen is located. Way too hot! We will visit again just ask to be seated in the other room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in Portland and the northeast!NotAFoodieDined on 8/15/2014We've been going since 1999 and haven't found a better spot, anywhere. Amazing food, great wait staff, tolerant to kids and somehow a great couples place too. We live in a great foodie town too (Providence RI) but Street & Co is our favorite place in the northeast to eat (I'm leaving my mind open to finding someplace better - eventually, somewhere). They are, unfortunately, getting so popular you need a reservation way in advance (though they take walk ins too). We love it (obviously) - lobster fra diavolo is amazing, though we got the bluefish last time and it was also amazing.) I can't think of any negatives (except the only spot we could get was at 9:30 on a Friday night - very late for a family meal for us.) Wish we lived closer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalKateDined on 8/15/2014Street & Co. just might be the best restaurant in this foodie city! Truly exceptional.Special Features: