Street and Co.
33 Wharf St.
Portland, ME 04101Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Street and Co.
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.streetandcompany.net/
- Phone: 207-775-0887
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Riley Shryock
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Dana St.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Wharf St. is closed to vehicular traffic after 5pm except for handicapped access. There are metered spots on the surrounding streets (no charge after 6pm.) There is a public parking garage located one and a half blocks away on Fore St. and a public parking lot is located one and a half blocks away on Commercial St.
A word from Street and Co.
Street and Co. is a Mediterranean, bistro style, all-seafood restaurant with a dynamic atmosphere and 20 years of experience. We are located in the Old Port district just blocks away from Portland’s working waterfront. Our chefs focus on serving the freshest seafood and the best ingredients available from local purveyors, fishermen and organic farmers. They prepare a simple yet creative menu that highlights the ingredients. Our personalized wine list truly complements the cuisine and we offer a classic full bar. We serve our full menu at the bar itself and feature a raw bar with a variety of local oysters and seasonal shellfish. Street and Co.’s comfortable lounge is great place to get together for drinks and appetizers or to enjoy while waiting for a table. Al fresco dining is available from Memorial Day through September.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Street and Co. - Best Restaurants in Portland ›
Street and Co. reviews from OpenTable diners
70 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (51)special occasion (43)neighborhood gem (29)hot spot (24)romantic (22)notable wine list (16)good for groups (8)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- DeliciousthellamaDined on 6/29/2014Must haves: Sole de Francaise, Scallops in Pernot, small plates... all of them.... Their appetizers are not huge, so if you intend to share make sure you get two or expect just a little each, the small plates are basically a few bites, but not to be missed. I had a special app of hake roe which was to die for. Highly recommend! Definitely get reservations a week or so in advance during the tourist season.Special Features:
- Long-time admirers disappointedfoodiemusicianDined on 6/25/2014We've been going to Street and Company for years and always got reliably excellent food. This time was pretty disappointing. Sole Francaise was so salty it was nearly inedible. I sent it back, something I seldom do. Replacement was as salty as the first. Either the chef forgot my request that they cut down on the salt, or he thought he knew better than me how to season the dish. Ironically the woman sitting at the table next to us had broiled sole, also sent hers back and also received a replacement that was identical to the first. Sole Francaise has only flour dusting and butter. Hers had only butter, so it couldn't even be blamed on a salty sauce.
- The following 441 reviews are from the Street and Co. reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014The service was excellent and the oysters, stuffed squid, and scallops were incredible! We will definitely be going there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we went...once.WannaBMainerDined on 6/19/2014We went to Street and Co. based on several local's recommendations. I guess we did not "get" the experience. Food options were varied but mostly on the unusual side. That is great if you are an adventurous eater, if not the options are limited. The food was very good but not oustanding. Of the 4 great, highly rated restaurants we ate at while in Maine, my wife and I both rank Street and Co. at the bottom for overall dining experience. Service level was outstanding, dining room was crowded and a little noisy. We are glad we went but with so many other great dining options in the Portland scene, doubt we go back.Special Features:
- A must do in PortlandSeafoodiemustDined on 6/17/2014Street and company is a place you must go to while in Portland. The food is excellent as is the service. One of the highlights of our trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delicious seafoodCHRISMPARKERVIPDined on 6/13/2014STREET & CO. is my favorite place in Portland d for seafod, broiled, grilled, or baked their food is excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Street and Co has lost its ambienceBlizzardDined on 5/27/2014It had been several years since we were back in Portland and we were really looking forward to our reservation at Street and Co. We used to love this restaurant for its small, romantic, dimly lit charm and ambience. The food is still great, but the space has lost its charm. Now that they have expanded, the space feels more like a diner. Bright lights, crowded tables, sterile dining room décor, hurried, impersonal wait staff, and extremely noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/23/2014My friend and I came to Portland for a girls weekend away and decided to try Street & Co. For dinner. We had many people recommend it to us. The food was phenomenal. The atmosphere was quaint and cozy. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for delicious, fresh seafood! I would also suggest making a reservation, it was booked solid when we went, so I'm glad we had reservations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/21/2014Every time we come to Portland, our first evening always has to be spent at Street and Company. The food is always consistently outstanding - especially the scallops in Pernod - served straight from the pan. Perfection!Special Features:
- Great food, good pricedisapointedDined on 5/19/2014Great food, great atmosphere, a bit pricey, but a great night out. Consider reservations! Even Monday nights are packedSpecial Features:
- A favorite when in PortlandJDTokyoDined on 5/15/2014Always enjoy going to Street & Co. when I am visiting Portland. Seafood is fresh and tasty. The restaurant itself is a bit on the noisy side, which would be fine except if anyone is hard of hearing, in which case it may be hard to hear people's conversations at your own table.Special Features:
- Never disappoints!blrbostonDined on 5/11/2014The go to place for wonderful seafood dishes in a cozy rustic setting!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- go fishskipeatsDined on 5/9/2014I have not tried them all of course, but over the years, after trying many, Street & Co. remains the best restaurant in Portland for seafood, and Portland ME is a seafood town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice meal, great serviceDebBruDined on 5/7/2014This is an all seafood restaurant, meals were very good. Mine was sole Francaise, very good, the fish was delicious, perhaps a little less olive oil could have been used. My spouse had grilled Tuna which was outstanding. Veggies were properly cooked al dente. Initially we received the wrong appetizer but it was quickly corrected when brought to the attention of the waitress's. There are some quite corners in the restaurant and what looks like a nice bar, however, in general, there are several large tables and the acoustics lends itself to a noisier versus quieter setting. However, we did not find this very much of a detractor, the liveliness is nice also.Special Features:
- Great Dinnerjoet626Dined on 5/6/2014Went specifically for the lobster fra diavalo, as many people had told me and written that it was great and it did not disappoint. The lobster was good but the mussels were the best part of the dish. Wine list is not lengthy but good and our server, Morgan, identified a good choice. Her service was great. Often I rate service by how attentive they are to my water glass, as I drink a lot of it with dinner, and they were right on it. Not too crowded on a Tuesday night. Had a great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Street & Company is the BestreaderinvtDined on 4/29/2014We have dined here for a number of years. A bit tougher for us to get to Portland now that we live in VT, but when we do come to town we make sure to visit and enjoy a fabulous seafood meal. My husband had the scallops in a Pernod sauce, his perennial favorite. I enjoyed the swordfish which was accompanied by a delicious warm potato dish enlivened by capers.Special Features:
- Always amazing.sericVIPDined on 4/24/2014I've been coming here for years, and just returned after being away for a while. The Sole Francaise is one of my favorite dishes ever. I dream about it. And it's always amazing.Special Features:
- goodcrackerDined on 4/24/2014An intimate, cozy place. Fun to watch the kitchen at work. Our appetizer of fresh sardines was just OK. Couldn't manage a single bite without bones which made the experience unpleasant. Shared the lobster with pasta. Cooked perfectly, although I do not enjoy handling lobster claws that are slippery in oil and garlic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy Dinner...SlaterockDined on 4/23/2014This was our 1st time at Street and Co. but will not be our last. Nice wine selection, good service and food. We had dinner on a Wednesday and as we walked back to our car we noticed Street and Co. was the only restaurant with people in it and they were full. Good sign of a great place to eat.Special Features:
- Dogsitter3Dined on 4/16/2014Delicious mussels in white wine and garlic with a great mesclun salad. Attractive decor and knowledgeable waitstaff. They let us stay at the table for over two hours without hassling us. Nice meeting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic mealOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/14/2014i had the lobster and it was divine. my clothes stunk for days in my suitcase with all the garlic, but the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodluv2dineDined on 4/12/2014We had amazing food, but boy, was the disappointment there when we found out that 2 items from the menu were not available :(. Regardless, the food was AMAZIGN, tables way too close to one another...but all in all, good experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overrated. Too much like aJbwbVIPDined on 4/8/2014Overrated. Too much like a factory operation. Many better choices in the city.
- Top NotchGourmandoDined on 4/5/2014Great ambiance and wonderful seafood. Even the butter was wonderful. Menu, except for appetizers (and dessert, of course), is all seafood so no main course options for those who don't like seafood or have allergies. The appetizers and salads, however, looked so good I could have made a meal of several of them. The lobster and linguine dish I ordered had an entire lobster and was reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Fantastic FishShmullyDined on 3/22/2014Went with a group of 4, the mussels to start were excellent. Everybody got a different entre and all were thrilled with the preparation. Homemade limoncello was the perfect way to finish it all off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- March reviewnewenglanderDined on 3/21/2014We had a delicious dinner on a Friday night in March. Thankfully we had booked this reservation a couple weeks ahead as we only had 2 choices for time, 5:45 or 8:00. Since we were traveling we chose 5:45. The place fills up quickly. I would suggest dressing in layers as the temperature of the restaurant got very hot. We had very attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get there early for Business!BusinessTravelerDined on 3/19/2014Arrived with reservations for 2 at 5:30. Was relatively quite for about 30-45 minutes. The food was timed almost perfectly with the crowd. We were able to cover our business needs and then settle in for a nice meal and more casual conversation. Food was delicious, the service prompt, and the atmosphere wonderful
- Street & company is hard to beatRussDined on 3/11/2014Thoroughly enjoyed the dinner at Street and company. Wonderful selection of fish and amazing attention to detail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service and FoodPortlandVoxDined on 3/10/2014Street & Company does a wonderful job with the food and service. Seating can be a little cramped and when busy the sound level is pretty loud. I went later in the evening on a Monday and by half way through the meal, more than 1/2 the tables were empty and the noise level was fine. Servers were very attentive and flexible. The smaller copper top tables can be a challenge to fit all the dishes on but we made it work at a table for two. Pricing was fare for the quality and the Lobster Diavolo (for two) was more than enough for two people. Very tasty! I would eat here again.Special Features:
- AT LAST!tutatkamanDined on 3/7/2014We live in Maine and have had heard a lot of good things about this place and finally I can say that they all were correct! The ambiance and decor were rustic and elegant. The food was excellent, the lobster diavalo was (advertised) for 2 but in my opinion 4 could have shared it and we did (still had left overs), we ordered the bacon wrapped dates (delicious), the divine salads, yellow fin tuna bolognese with orecchiette pasta and the Tiramisu was one of the best we all have ever tasted in Maine, the homemade Limoncello was exquisitely smooth. We will come back again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fair to mediumeatinalloverDined on 2/28/2014Great service. The setting was relaxed, all the staff was very friendly. Pretty average volume until a pack of six showed up out of the woodwork... Expensive for leaving hungry. Food was (just) ok. We had calamari for an appetizer, found a bunch of plastic wrappers in the sauce - wasn't great, kind of ruined it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Outstanding !OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/27/2014Fresh, cold, clean oysters ! Seafood and vegetables are fresh and seasoned perfectly. Service friendly, professional, and attentive. First restaurant I chose after being out of the US for six months! Never get tired of Street and Co. !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding SeafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 2/25/2014I had the scallops pernod and it was a great dish -- not to be seen on another menu which is a refreshing change from the standard fried, sauteed, etc. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/30/2014This was our 2nd time at Street and Company. We found ourselves in Portland for business and because our 1st experience with the restaurant was so enjoyable, we knew it was where we wanted to eat this time when we were in Portland. Would highly recommend this restaurant. It's exactly what like: great food and a relaxed yet interesting ambiance - and not pretentious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection!WoodNymphDined on 1/26/2014We were looking for a romantic Old Port restaurant that had not lost its old world ambience - we were not interested in the industrial-chic going on in many of the other restaurants in Portland. We sought charm, and coziness on a cold night, and we got it. We also got amazing food! We both got the scallops in pernod and cream: my boyfriend, an ex-chef (and he's very, very good, if I do say so myself), said it was the best meal out he has had in years! Literally not even the slightest detail to niggle about. Excellent, prompt and knowledgeable service, and a clearly well-staffed and well-trained kitchen. The wine paired perfectly with the meal. No regrets - except that we will have a hard time ordering something different on our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice first try!VirginiaDined on 1/25/2014We went to brunch on recommendation from a local we met the night before at another restaurant. Place is modern, roomy and clean. Employees were nice and accommodating, since we wanted to sit together, not facing each other. Efficient service. I had a goat cheese, white asparagus and crabmeat omelette that was delicious. The sticky bun was very tasty, but could have used a few more minutes in the oven (center not baked through). My Bloody Mary wasn't missing a thing. My husband had eggs benedict with lobster and he (not being a foody) couldn't say enough good things about it. We would definitely go back.Special Features:
- RemarkableDisappointerdDined on 1/23/2014This is a first rate restaurant. Not heavy on snooty elegance or a refined atmosphere but rather very cozy in an old New England way. A lovely place to dine. The cuisine is truly wonderful. It's freshness, diversity, quality, and first rate preparation, will be appreciated by anyone with a taste for gastronomic excellence. I live in New Orleans and am spoiled rotten by numerous world class restaurants. Street & Co. had me gushing my appreciation for my incredibly well prepared dinner. The shellfish were flawless and of the highest quality. My sole was cooked to perfection. The desert was divine. The service was outstanding. This was my second visit, and I look forward to my third. M. O'Malley New OrleansSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid but....zeusieDined on 1/19/2014I live in the Portland area and eat out relatively frequently. But this was my first return to Street & Co in probably 10 years (maybe more). Everything was solid, my companion and I enjoyed the food (fresh, well prepared), wine (offbeat wine list was fun to browse and select from), and service. And I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to a visitor. But unlike other dining spots in Portland to which I can't wait to return, I am unlikely to come back again to S&Co for another few years. Not because anything pushes me away, but because nothing extra special really draws me back. I don't feel as though they have put a stake in the ground to be truly special in their fish and seafood offerings - so what you can get here you can get elsewhere.Special Features:
- Great seafood and fun atmosphere!MollyDined on 1/18/2014We came here while on vacation in Portland and were so pleased with the seafood and fun environment! Definitely a repeater!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood restaurant withlocalfanDined on 1/15/2014Great seafood restaurant with lots of special touches. Only thing that was even slightly imperfect were the clams in white sauce--too tough. Try the raw oysters--to die for, and any small plates they offer. Really great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.