203 Octavia Blvd
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.strawsf.com/
- Phone: 4154313663x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Mon-Sat 5pm-10pm, Sun 5pm-9pm
Lunch: Mon-Fri 11am-2pm
Brunch: Sat-Sun 10am-3pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Grifty McShill
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: From a simple lunch delivery to a fancy-schmancy seated dinner, Straw brings a little slice of carnival life to every event. Our catering team makes the planning process easy and fun. And, we"ll only bring a fire-breather upon request.
A word from Straw
Straw is a fun and comfortable restaurant in Hayes Valley that serves carnival-inspired comfort food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Straw reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (31)kid-friendly (19)fit for foodies (18)great for lunch (14)great for brunch (8)good for groups (8)hot spot (8)special occasion (6)late-night find (6)great for outdoor dining (3)romantic (1)Show More
- Don't waste your time.BartDined on 8/23/2014Our reservation was for 815, and we were told we would be seated by 820-825. At 840 we said something. They then found us a terrible seat and agreed to comp our drinks. After having to reorder twice, our sub par watered down drinks finally arrived. By 915 we still hadn't received our food or any acknowledgement from the owner or manager who was clearly drunk and making a fool of himself.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014My husband and I happened to be in San Francisco 3 years ago, the same week this restaurant opened. We had an AMAZING experience. We even ended up sharing desert with the people sitting next to us. The décor was quirky fun, with a decidedly carny vibe, lots of carnival themed pictures all over. We visited San Francisco recently and this was one of our "must stop" places, unfortunately the ambiance we fell in love with 3 years ago was gone. They VERY loud music playing, in a VERY small space. Our entry came before our appetizer, even though we ordered the entry well after the appetizer. And we had to almost trip the wait staff to get refills on our iced tea and water. I'm saddened to say that we will not be going back.Special Features:
- UghValentineDined on 8/12/2014Really wanted to like this place, but a restaurant has to do more than just paint circus motifs on the wall, hang circus photos in the bathroom, and use cute phrases in the names of its entrees. Even my kids complained about the bare bulb lighting and horrible smell in the bathroom. Food was acceptable and not too expensive, and waiter was really nice, but wouldn't go back until they re-do the decor and lighting.Special Features:
- Straw Brunch, mmmmmm!SomeCaliGalDined on 8/11/2014I made a 1pm reservation for Monday on Sunday for two. I arrived early and was sat by the window to peruse the children's book menus and quirky decor. The food was amazing! I ordered the "half & half", "dark and gruesome" salad (a bizarre name for something so delicious) with a side of strawberries and the blta, a root beer float, and the sweet potato tots. Yum! The only small issue was that it took quite awhile for the restaurant's lone server to take our order, so do get an appetizer and don't arrive starving! So good I'll definitely be back !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth checking outcuriousnibblerDined on 8/6/2014This has been on my list to try for a while now and I loved it. A lot smaller than I had previously thought so thank goodness I made a reservation. The food was amazing, staff was helpful and I just loved everything about Straw!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food at StrawOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/4/2014I went to Straw after seeing the restaurant featured on World's Weirdest Restaurants. I took my daughter for her 10th birthday. The food was delicious and both my 10 year old and my 4 year old enjoyed their meals (bearded lady and grilled cheese respectively). I can't wait to try their brunch!Special Features:
- Fabulous Food!LovetheBayDined on 7/26/2014I was looking for a fun place for a girls night out dinner and Straw was suggested to me by a coworker! We had SO much fun! From the story book menus to the delicious drink menu to the coloring book dessert menus... such a fun place The service was fantastic and the food was absolutely delicious! The decor could definitely use some work but I can't wait to go back! It's a very small place so make a reservation!Special Features:
- Look No FurtherTheLinkDined on 7/24/2014The food was phenomenal. We had lunch on a weekday, so it was empty. But if you're thinking about brunch and on a weekend, get there early or get a reservation. I've tried to land a spot and it has been packed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Love it! Food was great . Atmosphere was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy Fun SpotBruceDined on 7/18/2014The smoked bacon and apple bits made the mac & cheese the perfect snack to start our meal...plenty for two to share. Loved the pulled pork sandwich and the grilled cheese was equally good. A wonderful casual option that worked very well for us right before an evening at the symphony, which was a short walk away. And if you're lucky, you might get the whirl-a-bird looking seats at the front of this small, fun spot. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Love this place!SupershepsDined on 7/16/2014I wasn't sure where I wanted to go for my birthday and then decided on Straw. I started with a reservation for 6 and then quickly realized I needed a bigger table when 14 people decided to come. They were super accommodating!!! I love this place because they are fun and simple. The food is delicious and totally affordable. The staff was really friendly and took such good care of us. I would totally go back.Special Features:
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/11/2014Straw is great - good food, good service - and especially awesome if you get to sit in the cart seat that used to be the seat from an old amusement park ride! :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in relaxed fun settingThefoxDined on 7/8/2014Food here was great. Great burgers and sandwiches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit dingey but great food!Missattitude57Dined on 7/1/2014The restaurant was off the beaten path but worth the trek. The potato chip nachos were amazing as was my 'creamsicle chiller'. My husband tried the sangria slush which was way too strong but good if you're a fan of overpowering wine flavour I guess. For dinner we had the club sandwich and burger and both were really good. I loved that house made chips were a side option as they were really good. Overall it was really good and I'd go again. The only downside is the somewhat tiny chairs with arms which I wasn't find of and it's kind of small and a bit dirty looking but I think that's just because they leave the front door open and it's an older building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Fair FoodxodanielDined on 6/29/2014A reservation is highly recommended since seating is limited. There are no frills in their decor or seating. I was looking forward to trying the sangria slushy, but they were all out. (It was Sunday at 7:00pm.) I ordered the chicken and waffle Monte Cristo. The chicken had a nice spicy kick to it and the waffle was perfectly cooked. Nice portion. It could have easily been shared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has characterNinaMDined on 6/14/2014I loved eating at Straw because I felt it has a lot of character. It's all about the food and the experience. Very casual atmosphere, which I love, and delicious food. That's a winning combo for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and differentSfcitygalDined on 6/7/2014Great food. Creative menu. Service wasn't amazing but I'll definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChowhoundVIPDined on 6/2/2014All our food was excellent, except that the chicken in the salad was dry and kind of tough. I miss their vegetarian chili which is no longer on the menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- It takes more than a Tilt-A-WhirlCreativeTastesDined on 5/24/2014a delightful concept--Carnival food, but, it just doesn't pan out on any level. First, a vintage carnival Tilt-a-Whirl seat in the corner and a few oddly placed photos of carnival images ( in the poorly lit room, it was hard to tell!), the "carnival" theme was just that: a theme with very little follow through. The menu included cotton candy for dessert and corn dogs, but, the other menu items were trendy "comfort" items, presented in an almost inedible format. The "chicken and waffle" sandwich, with blackberry jam and swiss cheese(?), was unwieldy, and the BBQ sandwich was extra large and tasty, but, the accompanying cole slaw should apologize to cole, slaw, cabbage and my taste buds. The metal chairs were incredibly uncomfortableSpecial Features:
- Be a kid againgreymalkin42Dined on 5/18/2014This is definitely a place to indulge in your inner child. Don't go here and order healthy things, that seems to defeat the purpose. Order the fried chicken and waffle monte cristo, or the deep fried candy bars. Your arteries will complain but it's so much fun they'll only grumble a little. Yay for a place that serves cotton candy and a burger on a doughnut!Special Features:
- Fun and Delicious!carnivalfanDined on 5/16/2014Loved the food! Fun, fatty choices and health conscious, delicious choices as well! Loved the menus and the Tilt A Whirl table in the corner! My daughters were very impressed with the waiters!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 151 reviews are from the Straw reviews archive.
- Neighborhood gem w/eclectic flairOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/25/2014Wonderful find! My husband and I were visiting for the weekend and didn't feel like spending a small fortune on dinner (hard to do for quality food in pricey SF) and stumbled upon this quirky place! Highly recommend for a fun and overall uplifting experience! We ordered the corn on the cobb (it's a must) and tri tip skewers both were wonderful and packed with flavor! I would say this is great for a playful date, a place to take your kids, or a nice spot for friends of all ages! The waiters are helpful and clearly have a passion for food! Definitely going back on our next visit to SFSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tilt-a-whirlWeezyDined on 4/25/2014If you remember the fair, the carnival, or Coney Island, you will love the ambience, the staff is very nice. The music was great & not too loud, glad we found this spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Whimsical Dining ExperienceWhimsicalDined on 4/22/2014This is a small but nice place to eat "comfort" food. I would not recommend it for parties over 4 people. I recommend this place for couples who are in the neighborhood and are looking for a simple yet whimsical food options. The Mac Attack was awesome! So were the sweet potato tots to name a few of the delicious things my party of 6 ate. Mini corn dogs not so much. Funnel Cake for dessert was to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy BirtdayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/15/2014We spent my daughter's 18th Birthday at Straws. The food was wonderful and service was great! The Jambalya is a must have!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Fun PlaceYUMMYDined on 4/13/2014REally enjoyed the atmosphere. My suggestion is to avoid the entree's and order appetizers and desserts!Special Features:
- cute little placeJulieBDined on 4/10/2014Went with some girlfriends. The service was great, the food delicious, vibe relaxed and reasonably priced. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chicken was very dry. ThisERM20Dined on 3/28/2014Chicken was very dry. This is a funky restaurant and not mainstream, even accounting for San Francisco standards. Much more appropriate for 20-something's. did not like the restaurant much but the Sangria was good. Cute concept but the food misses the mark altogether. Juke box too loud.
- Mixed BagOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/15/2014It's a super concept, but for comfort it is like a seat n a ferris wheel - not so much. The "good" is that the staff is accomodating and the menu is fun. The noise level was off the charts. The food although seasoned creatively every dish we ordered need salt. The homemade potato chip nachos were great except for the bechemel sauce, all that does is make the chips soggy. The jumbalaya was mediocre at best. The heat level was ok, they need to offer tobasco or other hot sauce to kick it up if wanted - but where was the sausage? To say parking is a challenge is a gross understatement. I would go back for luch and as part of lazy lots of walking daySpecial Features:
- Good creative menu (hard toOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/4/2014Good creative menu (hard to say no to a donut burger) with a fun decor but especially in the competitive sf food scene, food was uninspiring and service was incredibly slow. Too many other good options in hayes valley to check out.Special Features:
- A fun place - somewhat noveltyAStrayBananaDined on 2/23/2014A fun place - somewhat novelty due to the carnival theme, but service was prompt and food was reasonable for the price. Would have liked some carnival games to go with the decor, but given the size that's not plausible.Special Features:
- Super Fun Blast from the PastABCLewisDined on 2/21/2014My daughter and I wanted to eat somewhere fun and casual before the ballet and we were not disappointed with Straw. The menu is full of fun and interesting selections. The decor reminded me of my childhood at the fun house and the music was great 60's soul. We can't wait to return with some friends.Special Features:
- ... Fine.DiscerningDinerVIPDined on 2/16/2014LOVE the concept. I guess my problem was that I thought it was carnival-*inspired* food. Nope - turns out it was just carnival food. So, much of the food was fine to good. None of it was bad, but neither was it great. If I'm going to eat a meal that's that terrible for me, I want every bite to be delicious indulgence. It's a cute idea and will likely resonate with kids. I just can't recommend it as anything more than a novelty.Special Features:
- We started with the ContortionistMexDDined on 2/15/2014We started with the Contortionist which was okay nothing really special and the Hand Cut Jullenne fires which were good. Next we got the Fried chicken-n-waffle monte christo which was that good to me because it seem like the waffle was undercook and still kinda soft inside but the chicken it self taste fine. My wife got the Straw Signature Jambalaya which she said was good. As for dessert we got A Tisket, A Tisket we though this would be a real funnel cake but it was broken up which was okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Heart stopperOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/13/2014I would not be able to go everyday, but it was fun The cocktails were not good. Everything else was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kid Friendly Casual RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/11/2014Overall our dining experience was good. We chose Straw because we were dining with friends with children. We felt the menu would appeal to everyone but still have some fun, unique choices. I could see this being a fun late night hot spot later in the evening but for our dining time earlier in the evening, it was a number of families.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a First Date PlaceRugbyFoodieDined on 1/31/2014Went here on a first date... Not a good find. Loud, food was not worth sharing. Drink menu was lacking. It was not too inviting, but had an amazing concept that was not being utilized to is full potential. I really wanted to like this place, based on the description that I read about this place. But it was not like a carnival at all. I am debating a second chance to see if maybe it was the company.Special Features:
- Hilarious and deliciousemilyVIPDined on 1/20/2014A carnival-themed experience that involves super good food? Yes. Straw is fun and entertaining but also a great dinner spot because the food is solid. Small place, quaint and not crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went to Straw with ourFroYoLoverDined on 1/19/2014We went to Straw with our college-age daughter who had gone before with friends. It is geared towards this crowd. Fun, carnival-themed names for food; good music playing; very tasty salads, kabobs, and sandwiches. Service was very good and friendly!Special Features:
- Music, Service, and FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/14/2014Straw does these 3 things right! Great music, amazing food, and excellent service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.