Strano! Sicilian Kitchen & Bar
948 South Cooper St
Memphis, TN 38104Neighborhood:
SicilianPrice: $30 and under
Strano! Sicilian Kitchen & Bar
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://stranoskitchen.com/
- Phone: (901) 275-8986
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday-Sunday: 11:00am-5:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday-Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday-Saturday: 5:00pm-10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean, Sicilian
- Executive Chef: Josh Steiner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Strano! Sicilian Kitchen & Bar
We wanted to create a neighborhood restaurant that reminds you of the 'old country': our menu is based on simple Sicilian recipes where the taste and quality stands for what we believe in. Chef Josh frequented the local bustling food market in Palermo then worked side by side with Chef Vincenzo to create the traditional Sicilian dishes. In Taormina, not far from Mt. Edna, Josh learned true Sicilian cooking from true Sicilians. Chef Josh became vehemently passionate about using natural ingredients to create delicious and delicate cuisine. With immaculate service, our wait staff and bartenders are sure to enhance your dining experience. Our classy innovative cocktail service featuring fresh ingredients and wide rage of house-made specially crafted infusions are sure to catch your eye. Espresso service and full menu available at the bar for your convenience as well. We are very passionate in our food and our service creating a place you long to come back to again and again.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Strano! Sicilian Kitchen & Bar - Best Restaurants in Memphis ›
Strano! Sicilian Kitchen & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
70 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (43)special occasion (37)fit for foodies (35)romantic (30)good for groups (25)notable wine list (22)vibrant bar scene (20)hot spot (19)great for outdoor dining (14)late-night find (9)great for lunch (8)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (2)Show More
- So lovely!NathanDined on 11/22/2014Absolutely fantastic food, atmosphere, service and wine! The oak grilled swordfish was perfectly prepared, as was my fiancé's veal parmigiana. A perfect evening complimented by wonderful wine, relaxing mood, and attentive, respectful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The pizza is the best part by farBillDined on 11/18/2014I have been here twice, we tried the pizza the first time because it was highly recommended and it was as good as any I have had in Memphis. We went back determined to try something different but were disappointed to find that the quality of the pasta did not meet expectations. We will definitely return but only for the pizza!I would recommend this to a friend.
- spotspicksVIPDined on 11/16/2014Another amazing dining experience at Strano. Each time there are new things to enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerJohnnyDined on 11/14/2014Strano! was an amazing restaurant for my wife and I to dine for our anniversary. They have a wide variety of dishes to choose from and a long wine list as well. The service and food was excellent. My wife and I plan on returning soon for lunch to try their pizzas, which viewed to be delicious.Special Features:
- Good at bestNjoyNewOrleansDined on 11/8/2014Our server was not very attentive. The menu was mis-leading - Grandma's meatballs is listed as 100% veal; but they are not! Because of dietary concerns, I asked our waiter what else was in them. I was shocked when he added Pork to that list. I do not eat Pork, so I am glad I asked. I ordered the Veal Parmesan for dinner. The portion was very small and the veal was very tough. Would I go back? It would not be at the top of my list.
- EatTaosNMDined on 10/25/2014Eight women, eight different tastes and everyone was happy. Nicole was an outstanding server. The owner/chef, Josh Steiner, is young and very talented. I am from out of town and will return on my next visit. The Memphis ladies will all be retuning on a regular basis. Sixteen thumbs up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/21/2014Our first visit and we were very pleased. Food was served at perfect temperature and was seasoned nicely. Our server Kevin was knowledgeable about the entrees and offered good suggestions. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- True GemMoPoDined on 10/17/2014First time at Strano's and it was an enjoyable dining experience. The service was awesome and the food was absolutely delicious. Would definitely return and recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviweerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/9/2014Enjoyed my visit a lot and would recommend it to anyone!Special Features:
- Superb ServiceIluvcookiesDined on 10/9/2014We went to Strano for lunch and we were very impressed. Our waitress, Audrey was very polite and attentive. We did not have to look for her and she paid attention to every detail. The food was superbly made with a wonderfully unique twist. I would recommend this place to anyone who wants good food with superior service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love-Love-LoveLuv2dineDined on 10/5/2014The fried stuffed Olives and the Bruschetta are above the ordinary yummy appetizers with cocktails. The cheese and meat boards are works of art and a Mediterranean food adventure . The chefs special yellow fine tuna is perfectly seasoned and cooked. The portions are plentiful. The servers are very attentive without being intrusive. The atmosphere is hip and romantic. The prices are very reasonable. Highly recommend !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strano rocksOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/4/2014The food is exquisite. You can tell the chef puts a lot of thought and care into quality and presentation of his creations. An all-around quality restaurant from service to recipes.Special Features:
- Cel-a-brate Good Times!ServiceMattersDined on 10/3/2014I recently hosted a small group of co-workers and their spouses at Strano as we celebrated a business milestone. From the moment we walked in the door the staff made us feel special. They were friendly, warm and courteous. The food was terrific, on time, and presented perfectly. The evening could not have been better! WE WILL RETURN....Soon!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Pizza in MemphisLuv2dineDined on 9/28/2014I am addicted to this pizza. The chef uses a house made pizza sauce and a unique combination of cheeses . I know it has fontina, pecorino and mozzarella . The crust is thin and crispy. The salads are huge and extremely fresh with addictive house made dressings. The Tiramisu is a must have. Oh and by the way, the new acoustic tiles in the dining room have made a huge difference in improving the acoustics. Well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Serious talent in the kitchenLuv2dineDined on 9/26/2014My husband ordered the market fish special. It was flounder and herbs cooked in parchment paper. It was moist and perfectly cooked with layers of flavor. It came with house made potatoe chips and a choice of side vegetables. I could tell that the kitchen has a deft hand with flavor profiles. Everything on the plate was delicious. I ordered the rotisserie chicken which I have been craving since the last time I ordered it. Perfection. We also shared the cheese plate which is a work of art and a dining experience all into itself. The vegetable soup really surprised me. It tasted like a cheesy velvety creamy soup. I was told there is no cheese in it but there is a multitude of vegetables. Best dose of daily vegetables I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real find!janandpaulDined on 9/20/2014From being treated at the door, to really great service (thank you Kevin!) to awesome food this place was awesome! Pizza was especially great!Special Features:
- Great New RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014The Food and service were ouitsanding. I particularly liked the option of having a small or regular plate size. Noise level was high but i undrsand that alterations are going to be made to reduce the noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Strano!DocFoodieDined on 9/19/2014My S.O. And I had another superb meal at Strano on Friday night. I had the Fennel and orange salad with the house ravioli, and he had the carne classica pizza. The food was expertly prepared, tasted wonderful. The best part was opening the fridge on Saturday morning and smelling the boxed leftover pizza! We plan on returning again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiancePaulTDined on 9/14/2014It's hard to find good Italian food in the Memphis area, we have now found it at Strano. From the second we entered the restaurant all the employee's were great. The rest of our party was running late, so we sat at the bar, the bartender was great, the Host or Manager was very friendly and Kevin our server was over the top friendly (wish I could give more the 5 stars for service) All 5 of us had the meatballs for an appetizer (amazingly good) I loved the Chicken Parm, everybody else loved their dinner as well. I look forward to going back and bring clients, friends and family. If your looking for a good place it's defiantly a must try.Special Features:
- Great dinner!thatsamoreDined on 9/12/2014The food was great. The portions were more than enough. The service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time, but won't be my lastluvnuplacesDined on 9/4/2014I wanted to find a new place to take friends from out of town. I found this place and was extremely pleased with the food, drinks and service. We enjoyed great cocktails for $5 - amazing price and dinner was also a pleasure. Valet parking and friendly staff, we will make this a regular "Memphis Jewel" for out of town friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent new restaurantepicuriousDined on 9/2/2014The food at Strano was excellent. We had the Sicilian salad, swordfish and lamb chops. I would also recommend the berry cheesecake and chocolate bourbon gelato which was the special flavor of the day. We received champagne for our anniversary dinner which really made it special.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/30/2014Food, service and valet was exceptional. We forgot we were in Memphis!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JamieDined on 8/29/2014Overall, our entire dining experience was excellent. To begin the night we ordered Arancini Saffron rice balls as appetizer. They were delicious, and not too filling. We also had a pepperoni pizza and Pasta All Norma Orecchiette for our entree's. The pasta was great, with just the right amount of tomato sauce and the pizza was the best I have had in Memphis. We ended the evening with a slice of the Three Layered Chocolate Cake and Almond Tiramisu. Both were delicious, but the almond tiramisu is not only a creative dessert, but melts in your mouth it's so enjoyable. From what I could tell Strano! plays the role of a great restaurant for a formal/romantic dining experience, but it seems to be a tremendous asset to the Cooper-Young community.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This Place Is Special!!BigFudgeDined on 8/29/2014Strano! is such a great place! From the valet all the way to service, everyone makes your trip there special. Our server Kevin was very professional and attentive. Cannot wait to go back! Happy hour is also a must before dinner!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menudavidDined on 8/28/2014It is hard to pick the best thing about Strano. It is a perfect restaurant from almost any point of view. This time we really enjoyed the cheese and meat plate as a starter. Try, you will really like it.Special Features:
- StanoStanoDined on 8/23/2014The food was great...especially the pizza. Service was really good. Love the free valet parking as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ExperienceFoodieandvegheadDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I celebrated our Anniversary at Strano!, we were greeting with a hardy Happy Anniversary and as soon as we sat down the host brought us two glasses of champagne, on the house. We had impeccable service, the waiter was attentive and thoughtful and the food was truly amazing - hats off to the Chef! My wife is a vegetarian and we were pleased to see many options for her on the menu. I am not sure what was put into the berry cheesecake, but that is as close to crack as I can imagine it is like without actually taking the drug - WOW! We will certainly be back - it was worth the drive, due to the fact we live in Lakeland! Congratulations Strano! may the "cursed corner" be one you overcome!Special Features:
- KudosFoodcritic812VIPDined on 8/23/2014In Memphis I often find it hard to find a place that offers great food and great service on the same night. Strano did an outstanding job. The food was solid. What I appreciated was the complexity and creativity of the menu and ingredients. However, it had a simplistic elegance. I had the grilled calamari, fennel/orange salad, cheese plate, and the braised pork. My wife had the pizza, gluten free, which is rare and appreciated. All of the food was great. Also, our waitress was very attentive and delivered everything leaving nothing to desire and creating no frustration. Well done Strano! Best wishes for the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Great Serviceemerica318VIPDined on 8/22/2014Chef Josh has created a great menu and executes well every time. He is a young chef with great ideas. I enjoy myself every time I go! Also, the wait staff is exceptional-especially Mark. This is definitely one of my new favorite Memphis restaurants.Special Features:
- Sea BassNikiDined on 8/22/2014Three people ordered the Sea Bass and were very pleased!Special Features:
- Great Time!BigFudgeDined on 8/21/2014My brother and I had made reservations for a restaurant we were wanting to try that was new. We heard about Strano! Through a mutual friend and we are so happy that made us aware. When we got to the corner hot spot, the valet was waiting. The hostess and GM were there to welcome us by name. Table was near a window that looked over the street. I had the special scallops(amazing) and my brother and his guest had the chicken Parmesan.(delicious) After our meal, the chef presented us a tiramisu with a honey caramel sauce!! Wow... Our servers( Ryan and Audrey) we're very entertaining and very knowledgable about the menu. They suggested nearly everything we got and it was all a great experience. We will definitely come back and bring others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't miss this one!!!FoodieforlifeDined on 8/21/2014I came in Thursday with my mother after hearing about the restaurant from a friend. Let me tell you - we were pleasantly surprised. Upon arrival we were promptly greeted by the manager and hostess and shown to the bar. It was happy hour and Trevor was quick to suggest things based off of our interests. My mother ordered the daily ravioli and couldn't have been more pleased. We were told the ingredients were from the chefs garden and you could definitely tell they were fresh. I had the grouper special and it was amazing. You could tell this young chef puts his heart into what he does. Plating his entrees gorgeously and even topping it with "caviar" made from balsamic vinegar. We were very impressed and will definitely be back. Great new spotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timer, loved it.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/19/2014Great new spot with great food and drinks! Go see Courtney at the bar, she rocks!Special Features:
- Best New Restaurant! !!!!!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 8/17/2014Wonderful service by Kevin, excellent food, and we'll made drinks! We had the pork shank and Duck entrys. Both were perfectly prepared and fall off the bone. The bread and olive oil were surprisingly delicious. Kevin brought us a complementary slice of carrot cake for desert which was not too sweet and a wonderful end to the meal. We will be back soon to try more dishes.Special Features:
- Best New restaurant/ Best New ChefLuv2dineDined on 8/16/2014His is a very new neighborhood hot spot this is evolving into one of the best kept dining secrets in Memphis. They are just now catching on and soon you won't be able to get a table here without reserving months ahead of time. The food is just that special. When the media pick up on this place it's going to blow up with patrons. The chef is a young genius and artist with food. If you are lucky he will float from table to table talking about some of the secrets to his cooking. He uses the new scientific techniques to enhance the traditional recipes of his grandmothers. This is more than just dining, it's an experience. The chef has a passion that you don't see is chain restaurants.The ambiance is lively.The food,divine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uneventful, nothing specialBartlettBoundDined on 8/16/2014The food was OK at best. My wife ordered the pork shank and said it was good. I ordered the night's special grouper and it was under seasoned as well as the spinach potatoes. I could have enjoyed a chain restaurant as much. Don't waste your money on the cheese and sausage appetizer. The best part of the experience was being down in the Cooper Young district.Special Features:
- great food, terrible waiter/serversluv2dineDined on 8/15/2014terrible service, rookie waiter was completely clueless and not receptive at all; food was awesome though...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service and AmbiencetreyDined on 8/15/2014I met someone here for dinner last week and arrived early to have a drink at the bar. The bartender was courteous and informative. After being seated, our server promptly greeted us and got our drinks. She was fairly new, but still did a great job answering questions or finding out details she was unsure of. The food was good, I had a rack of lamb dusted in pistachio crumbs with a pomegranate reduction, I believe, and it was cooked medium as requested and tasted good. We had the meatballs for an appetizer and they were delicious. I was very happy we went there, and I plan on going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedDennyLynneVIPDined on 8/14/2014It was a beautiful evening in Memphis and we wanted someplace where we could sit outside. We hadn't tried Strano, so we made a reservation and requested an outside table. No problem, though there are only four. The food was very good - grouper cooked perfectly and a delicious pork shank. The cheese stuffed fried olives were wonderful. I'm glad we decided to try the olives though they sounded strange. Our server, Erica, was outstanding - friendly, helpful and efficient, without trying to be our new best friend. The pace of the meal was good - timely but not rushed. We will definitely go back. We hope Strano keeps up the good food and service and can make a go of it at an historically difficult location.I would recommend this to a friend.