Strano! Sicilian Kitchen & Bar
948 South Cooper St
Memphis, TN 38104Neighborhood:
SicilianPrice: $30 and under
Strano! Sicilian Kitchen & Bar
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://stranoskitchen.com/
- Phone: 9012758986x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday-Sunday: 11:00am-5:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday-Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday-Saturday: 5:00pm-10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean, Sicilian
- Executive Chef: Josh Steiner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Strano! Sicilian Kitchen & Bar
We wanted to create a neighborhood restaurant that reminds you of the 'old country': our menu is based on simple Sicilian recipes where the taste and quality stands for what we believe in. Chef Josh frequented the local bustling food market in Palermo then worked side by side with Chef Vincenzo to create the traditional Sicilian dishes. In Taormina, not far from Mt. Edna, Josh learned true Sicilian cooking from true Sicilians. Chef Josh became vehemently passionate about using natural ingredients to create delicious and delicate cuisine. With immaculate service, our wait staff and bartenders are sure to enhance your dining experience. Our classy innovative cocktail service featuring fresh ingredients and wide rage of house-made specially crafted infusions are sure to catch your eye. Espresso service and full menu available at the bar for your convenience as well. We are very passionate in our food and our service creating a place you long to come back to again and again.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Strano! Sicilian Kitchen & Bar - Best Restaurants in Memphis ›
Strano! Sicilian Kitchen & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
98 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (61)fit for foodies (47)romantic (40)special occasion (40)good for groups (31)hot spot (31)notable wine list (29)vibrant bar scene (23)great for outdoor dining (17)scenic view (12)late-night find (10)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (3)Show More
- Great ExperiancePaulTDined on 9/14/2014It's hard to find good Italian food in the Memphis area, we have now found it at Strano. From the second we entered the restaurant all the employee's were great. The rest of our party was running late, so we sat at the bar, the bartender was great, the Host or Manager was very friendly and Kevin our server was over the top friendly (wish I could give more the 5 stars for service) All 5 of us had the meatballs for an appetizer (amazingly good) I loved the Chicken Parm, everybody else loved their dinner as well. I look forward to going back and bring clients, friends and family. If your looking for a good place it's defiantly a must try.Special Features:
- Great dinner!thatsamoreDined on 9/12/2014The food was great. The portions were more than enough. The service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time, but won't be my lastluvnuplacesDined on 9/4/2014I wanted to find a new place to take friends from out of town. I found this place and was extremely pleased with the food, drinks and service. We enjoyed great cocktails for $5 - amazing price and dinner was also a pleasure. Valet parking and friendly staff, we will make this a regular "Memphis Jewel" for out of town friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent new restaurantepicuriousDined on 9/2/2014The food at Strano was excellent. We had the Sicilian salad, swordfish and lamb chops. I would also recommend the berry cheesecake and chocolate bourbon gelato which was the special flavor of the day. We received champagne for our anniversary dinner which really made it special.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/30/2014Food, service and valet was exceptional. We forgot we were in Memphis!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JamieDined on 8/29/2014Overall, our entire dining experience was excellent. To begin the night we ordered Arancini Saffron rice balls as appetizer. They were delicious, and not too filling. We also had a pepperoni pizza and Pasta All Norma Orecchiette for our entree's. The pasta was great, with just the right amount of tomato sauce and the pizza was the best I have had in Memphis. We ended the evening with a slice of the Three Layered Chocolate Cake and Almond Tiramisu. Both were delicious, but the almond tiramisu is not only a creative dessert, but melts in your mouth it's so enjoyable. From what I could tell Strano! plays the role of a great restaurant for a formal/romantic dining experience, but it seems to be a tremendous asset to the Cooper-Young community.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This Place Is Special!!BigFudgeDined on 8/29/2014Strano! is such a great place! From the valet all the way to service, everyone makes your trip there special. Our server Kevin was very professional and attentive. Cannot wait to go back! Happy hour is also a must before dinner!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menudavidDined on 8/28/2014It is hard to pick the best thing about Strano. It is a perfect restaurant from almost any point of view. This time we really enjoyed the cheese and meat plate as a starter. Try, you will really like it.Special Features:
- StanoStanoDined on 8/23/2014The food was great...especially the pizza. Service was really good. Love the free valet parking as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ExperienceFoodieandvegheadDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I celebrated our Anniversary at Strano!, we were greeting with a hardy Happy Anniversary and as soon as we sat down the host brought us two glasses of champagne, on the house. We had impeccable service, the waiter was attentive and thoughtful and the food was truly amazing - hats off to the Chef! My wife is a vegetarian and we were pleased to see many options for her on the menu. I am not sure what was put into the berry cheesecake, but that is as close to crack as I can imagine it is like without actually taking the drug - WOW! We will certainly be back - it was worth the drive, due to the fact we live in Lakeland! Congratulations Strano! may the "cursed corner" be one you overcome!Special Features:
- KudosFoodcritic812VIPDined on 8/23/2014In Memphis I often find it hard to find a place that offers great food and great service on the same night. Strano did an outstanding job. The food was solid. What I appreciated was the complexity and creativity of the menu and ingredients. However, it had a simplistic elegance. I had the grilled calamari, fennel/orange salad, cheese plate, and the braised pork. My wife had the pizza, gluten free, which is rare and appreciated. All of the food was great. Also, our waitress was very attentive and delivered everything leaving nothing to desire and creating no frustration. Well done Strano! Best wishes for the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Great Serviceemerica318VIPDined on 8/22/2014Chef Josh has created a great menu and executes well every time. He is a young chef with great ideas. I enjoy myself every time I go! Also, the wait staff is exceptional-especially Mark. This is definitely one of my new favorite Memphis restaurants.Special Features:
- Sea BassNikiDined on 8/22/2014Three people ordered the Sea Bass and were very pleased!Special Features:
- Great Time!BigFudgeDined on 8/21/2014My brother and I had made reservations for a restaurant we were wanting to try that was new. We heard about Strano! Through a mutual friend and we are so happy that made us aware. When we got to the corner hot spot, the valet was waiting. The hostess and GM were there to welcome us by name. Table was near a window that looked over the street. I had the special scallops(amazing) and my brother and his guest had the chicken Parmesan.(delicious) After our meal, the chef presented us a tiramisu with a honey caramel sauce!! Wow... Our servers( Ryan and Audrey) we're very entertaining and very knowledgable about the menu. They suggested nearly everything we got and it was all a great experience. We will definitely come back and bring others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't miss this one!!!FoodieforlifeDined on 8/21/2014I came in Thursday with my mother after hearing about the restaurant from a friend. Let me tell you - we were pleasantly surprised. Upon arrival we were promptly greeted by the manager and hostess and shown to the bar. It was happy hour and Trevor was quick to suggest things based off of our interests. My mother ordered the daily ravioli and couldn't have been more pleased. We were told the ingredients were from the chefs garden and you could definitely tell they were fresh. I had the grouper special and it was amazing. You could tell this young chef puts his heart into what he does. Plating his entrees gorgeously and even topping it with "caviar" made from balsamic vinegar. We were very impressed and will definitely be back. Great new spotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timer, loved it.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/19/2014Great new spot with great food and drinks! Go see Courtney at the bar, she rocks!Special Features:
- Best New Restaurant! !!!!!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 8/17/2014Wonderful service by Kevin, excellent food, and we'll made drinks! We had the pork shank and Duck entrys. Both were perfectly prepared and fall off the bone. The bread and olive oil were surprisingly delicious. Kevin brought us a complementary slice of carrot cake for desert which was not too sweet and a wonderful end to the meal. We will be back soon to try more dishes.Special Features:
- Best New restaurant/ Best New ChefLuv2dineDined on 8/16/2014His is a very new neighborhood hot spot this is evolving into one of the best kept dining secrets in Memphis. They are just now catching on and soon you won't be able to get a table here without reserving months ahead of time. The food is just that special. When the media pick up on this place it's going to blow up with patrons. The chef is a young genius and artist with food. If you are lucky he will float from table to table talking about some of the secrets to his cooking. He uses the new scientific techniques to enhance the traditional recipes of his grandmothers. This is more than just dining, it's an experience. The chef has a passion that you don't see is chain restaurants.The ambiance is lively.The food,divine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uneventful, nothing specialBartlettBoundDined on 8/16/2014The food was OK at best. My wife ordered the pork shank and said it was good. I ordered the night's special grouper and it was under seasoned as well as the spinach potatoes. I could have enjoyed a chain restaurant as much. Don't waste your money on the cheese and sausage appetizer. The best part of the experience was being down in the Cooper Young district.Special Features:
- great food, terrible waiter/serversluv2dineDined on 8/15/2014terrible service, rookie waiter was completely clueless and not receptive at all; food was awesome though...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service and AmbiencetreyDined on 8/15/2014I met someone here for dinner last week and arrived early to have a drink at the bar. The bartender was courteous and informative. After being seated, our server promptly greeted us and got our drinks. She was fairly new, but still did a great job answering questions or finding out details she was unsure of. The food was good, I had a rack of lamb dusted in pistachio crumbs with a pomegranate reduction, I believe, and it was cooked medium as requested and tasted good. We had the meatballs for an appetizer and they were delicious. I was very happy we went there, and I plan on going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedDennyLynneVIPDined on 8/14/2014It was a beautiful evening in Memphis and we wanted someplace where we could sit outside. We hadn't tried Strano, so we made a reservation and requested an outside table. No problem, though there are only four. The food was very good - grouper cooked perfectly and a delicious pork shank. The cheese stuffed fried olives were wonderful. I'm glad we decided to try the olives though they sounded strange. Our server, Erica, was outstanding - friendly, helpful and efficient, without trying to be our new best friend. The pace of the meal was good - timely but not rushed. We will definitely go back. We hope Strano keeps up the good food and service and can make a go of it at an historically difficult location.I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Mid-town hotspot!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014My friend and I went to Strano! for the first time the other day and we were blown away from start to finish! Upon entering the building we were greeted with smiling faces and made to feel right at home. Our server Ryan was wonderful, making us feel at ease and extremely knowledgeable picking out the perfect thing for each course along the way. First and foremost we got started with the best cocktail ever - a watermelon martini with fresh basil - which happened to go down just like water. Ryan's recommendation of goat cheese bruschetta was fantastic! For dinner we both went with the honey glazed grouper which was cooked perfectly. To top everything off we were surprised at the end with a trio of sorbets. Needless to say, we'll both be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian food!TNDonDined on 8/9/2014We stopped at Strano! For lunch this past Saturday. While we only had three appetizers and a salad , everything was excellent. The fennel salad had a wonderful mix of ingredients and a very good dressing. We had the meatballs veryoist with a great tomatoe sauce. We also had the cheese-stuffed fried olives and the rice balls. The sauce served with the rice balls was the best item on the table. Everything was fresh clearly prepared with care. We will definitely go back to try more from the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RebearcaDined on 8/5/2014Overall, the food was very good! I look forward to going back and trying the pizza.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new gemLuvStoneCrabsVIPDined on 8/2/2014We had another delicious meal at Strano. Salads are large enough for 2 and well made. The bronzino and pork shank are not to be missed. We complimented our meal with the angel hair pasta , a 1/2 order and took home more than we ate as it is rich, very rich.Special Features:
- Very well doneOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2014Nice new addition for neighborhood, make a visit, well worth a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bella!!BucklesVIPDined on 8/1/2014Cooper/Young has a new establishment raising the bar on Memphis' cuisine. Strano! is a welcomed delight. Flavors of Sicily and the Mediterranean in a contemporary menu. Your nostrils may pick up a tantalizing whiff of smoke from the wood grill/oven transported here from one of New York's boroughs. The calamari: authentically grilled (or served breaded for the unrefined). The lamb chops were perfect in a pomegranate rosemary reduction. Vegetable Coucous with a hint of cinnamon. Chef offered his interpretation of Limoncello Rosemary Cake. I died and went to Heaven. Let's not forget the attentive staff. Memphis, this is not your Momma's pickled vegetables (FYI..I can't stand that lame trend amongst local restaurants).Special Features:
- The Wood Makes The DifferenceKingDined on 7/30/2014It was my first time dining at Strano! I didn't quite know what to expect, but I'd heard good things. The first thing I noticed was sweet smell of burning wood from the kitchen as we walked in. My roommate and I sat at the bar, and were greeting by one of the nicest smiles in the city frpm our bartender Courtney Griesenauer. Very nice and elegant young lady. I ordered a steak, and my roommate the rack of lamb. Our food arrived in a timely manner, and man was my steak tender. Very easy to cut through. The key component of the flavor was the wood chips used with which to cook it. I'm no expert on wood by any means, but it infused the meal with a taste all it's own. I will be going back to Strano! soon, and may even make it a diner of habit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place, Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/30/2014My mother and I came in before a concert to have dinner and drinks. We were so impressed with the happy hour prices on the specialty cocktails! We also had a caprese and a Caesar salad, and a personal pan pizza. Everything was wonderful! Our server, Holly, was very attentive and so sweet! We will definitely be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still working through kinksDiMRDined on 7/29/2014I think this restaurant is in start up mode and still has some kinks to work through. I think that it can a total gem if they listen to some of the reviews I've read because I agree with many of them. Service was a little slow but we had a very pleasant waitress. Food was hit and miss. Huge bonus for hand making their own pasta, not even Bari hand makes all their pastas, so kudos to Strano for recognizing that this really is a special treat. The chicken parm was good, and made better by the homemade pasta. Woodgrilled calamari was a total letdown, no seasoning or acid whatsoever. Homemade sauces were ok - i prefer a fresher less ingredient type sauce made by my grandma. Pork was good but needed more sauce.Special Features:
- New Gem in Cooper YoungXxxxxxVIPDined on 7/25/2014If you haven't tried Strano yet, you aren't doing yourself any favors. My dining experiences here have been very well received. Great spot for a date night, night out with your friends, or a meal by yourself at the bar. The staff is great and the management and chef are friendly with all patrons. You can dine in here for a quick salad, pizza or pasta and beer or you can really indulge and order some fantastic lamb chops, duck, pork shank upon many other menu items to really excite yourself to some great food with some really great wine! Treat yourself sooner than later and try out the new kid on the block, sure to impress!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My New FavoriteLuv2dineDined on 7/25/2014Now I know what all of the buzz is about. This young chef is creative and bold when he puts his own stamp on traditional favorites. We loved our food so much on Friday night that we returned on Saturday night so that we could further explore the tantalizing ambitious menue. You can really tell when a chef/ owner is invested emotionally in every dish that comes out of the kitchen. You can almost taste the passion. Every item on every plate was cooked to perfection and placed with care on the plate. The cheese plate is not to be missed. The chicken parmasean is the best I have ever had. My husband had the filet and he insisted that I share a bite which melted in my mouth. I appreciate that he uses organic and locally sourced ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FCIANDined on 7/25/2014The pasta wasn't good. The pizza was good but crust not crispy. I plan to try it again as it is a new restaurant in my neighborhood and I want to give it another chance.
- good placeamex2014Dined on 7/24/2014good experience-but somewhat cold in ambience/they did little in renovations/food arrived promptly and hot//the server holly seemed well-prepared and sweet//not open on Sundays and Mondays a real drawbackSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall-FantasticXxxxxxVIPDined on 7/23/2014This was our first time having an entree in the main dining room as opposed to having a cocktail or cheese plate at the bar. The ambiance was perfect! We shared a bottle of wine and loved they decant and aerate every bottle-a wonderful touch I wish every restaurant provided. The bread was very bland, as was the oil-even though it was nice that we had a choice of different infused oils-It would be nice to see a house made seasoning to serve with each oil-some garlic, basil, salt/pepper-would be divine. Our entrees were excellent and I would come back for the lamb every day of the week. We also had the rotisserie chicken which was just perfect. 2 thumbs up!Special Features:
- great new addition to MemphisLuvStoneCrabsVIPDined on 7/23/2014What a find. Our meal was delicious from beginning to end with a new variety of salads, pastas and the most wonderful bronzino. Tables are spread far enough apart that you do not hear your neighbors . Don't miss the gelato as you will find new flavors.Special Features:
- Maybe the one?GrizzTonyVIPDined on 7/19/2014This restaurant is in a great spot in the Cooper Young neighborhood, however the previous restaurants in the spot have never made it more than 2 to 3 years. The menu covers a wide range of availability from soups and salads, pasta, and meat & fish entrées. The food was fresh, very tasty, and pleasantly presented. I had a salmon special that was cooked perfectly. One member in our party who has ordered lamb in many of Memphis' premiere restaurants, raved about his lamb entree. He said it was cooked perfectly, and it was the best he had in the city! We eat out every Saturday night, and we all agreed Strano just may be the one that stays in that spot in Cooper Young for a long time. Great dining to be had there!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time to tryRebelVIPDined on 7/18/2014My wife and I tried this place and hope it works out since there have been 4-5 restaurants fail in this same location. Food was hit & miss. All had good qualities and not so good qualities. We'll give it another chance.Special Features:
- The curse continuesMemphisMojoDined on 7/12/2014This location will once again be vacant...and probably sooner rather than later. I typically only write reviews when I've experienced "extremes." In this case, the service was as bad as I've had in a long time. Our server forgot about is throughout the entire meal; even after repeated (polite) requests for attention. The food was fair, but I might have considered it borderline good if it came out in a reasonable time and wasn't overcooked. I had high hopes, but probably shouldn't have.