Straits Restaurant - Santana Row
333 Santana Row, Suite #1100
San Jose, CA 95128Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
Straits Restaurant - Santana Row
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.straitsrestaurants.com/
- Phone: 4082466320
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Asian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Linda Huynh, firstname.lastname@example.org, 4082440516
A word from Straits Restaurant - Santana Row
Singapore for almost 200 years has been at the crossroads of Southeast Asia, where many cultures and nationalities live, work and more importantly, eat together. Singapore's cuisines logically reflect this cultural diversity. The four major culinary cultures -- Malaysian/Indonesian, Chinese, Indian and Nonya -- are in fact a blend of each other, creating a new cuisine that is unique and more complex in flavors and fragrances. Straits offers a menu that features the complexity of all these Singaporean cuisines in chef Chris Yeo's unique interpretation. This beautiful Santana Row location opened in January 2003.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
Straits Restaurant - Santana Row - Best Restaurants in San Jose ›
Straits Restaurant - Santana Row reviews from OpenTable diners
89 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (33)great for outdoor dining (33)good for groups (32)hot spot (30)fit for foodies (25)special occasion (22)great for lunch (15)late-night find (15)romantic (11)neighborhood gem (10)great for brunch (5)scenic view (3)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Nite out place!VP007VIPDined on 10/18/2014Vibrant place with excellent music. However, dinner portions are extremely little for some of the entrees.Special Features:
- yummy leisurely lunchSilverpandaDined on 10/17/2014My first SR location and it was perfect for a long lunch catching up with an old friend. The cocktails and roti are my staple there. My entree, the lemongrass beef and veggies were good but the garlic fries were the best. My friend's rendang beef bowl seemed ok. Desserts of pistachio cookie sandwich and coconut sorbet (server recommended), finished off our meal perfectly. Service was spot on and the tables (inside) were spaced nicely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spotJaideepADined on 10/6/2014Its a regular go to place to entertain special guests. And am never disappointed, and always happily surprised.Special Features:
- Great dinner with customersVictorDined on 9/29/2014We spent a great time with some customers visiting the area. The restaurant is nice and the ambiance is great. Food was good, they have just to improve their wine list, more an better choice is needed.Special Features:
- Not as good as it used to be.TEGODined on 9/27/2014We have been to Straits numerous times. The food USED TO BE outstanding. Now the food was just fair. The tables are too close together. The waitstaff had a tough time getting thru, disrupting our conversation as they struggled by our table over and over. It was too loud to carry on a conversation. In addition to the overall noise level, the table next to us had some men that were speaking unusually loud (although they were at a different table, they were only about 20 inches from us). To fit more people, this supposed quality restaurant has added a lot of outdoor dining. You are still paying the high prices but sitting on cheap plastic outdoor chairs that are not very comfortable. All in all, not a very good dining experience.
- Great eveningAnniefromenglandDined on 9/27/2014A bit pricey, but the small plates were fun and they came very quickly. Glad I made a reservation as it was packed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great team dinnerRowReviewerDined on 9/24/2014Loved the service from the moment I walked in the door. The hostess was very friendly and accommodating. We ordered family style and I was able to try a lot of dishes that I wouldn't have normally ordered, but I can't wait to go back and order for myself. Loved the ambiance and energy of this place. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Anniversary celebrationMommalinzDined on 9/13/2014I made reservations for our anniversary. We got dressed up and joined the crowd. It took a little bit of a wait for a table but it was well worth the wait. The appetizers and entrees were amazing. The sangria was fantastic. It was a perfect nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FlavorsPumpkinPieDined on 9/13/2014I loved the variety of foods and the flavors! The servers were friendly, attentive, and knew the menu very well. The only drawback was the loud music, but for others they probably didn't notice - after all it was a Saturday nite on Santana Row.Special Features:
- CookieDined on 9/7/2014Despite half-empty Sunday afternoon, service extremely slow. Waitress had no sweetner so had to go next door to borrow some Splenda. Took 20 mins. to get our "doggy bags." Nasi Goreng good flavor but oily and mostly rice. Should have more seafood, chicken, vegs, omelet.. Noodle bowl somewhat better. The scene is young, nice modern décor. Why isn't the food and service better?
- UnimpressivenehasDined on 9/5/2014Some dishes such as the indian street noodles and spicy basil chicken are great. Didn't enjoy the crab croquettes or the bland hainan chicken. They are uanble to handle the number of diners on a Friday night and so service leaves a lot to be desired.
- good for going out with friendsfeedmyfamilyDined on 9/5/2014It's a hip place to eat. Music is loud, drinks are good, food is decent. Service is friendly, but not very attentive, had to flag down the server a few times.Special Features:
- Straits for my daughters 18th bdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014What a great staff and service!! Food was amazing, good flavor combinations. Was very pleased I took my daughter there on such a special occasion for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great good, great atmosphere!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014The food was excellent and the decor and ambience were great, but the service is not quite 5 star. When we checked in they said our table was ready n just needed to get menus... 10 min later we had to remind them because they forgot about us. Ordering went well and the good was fantastic, but my water was always empty (I had to ask 3 times for water), and they forgot my friend's birthday dessert at the end. In my waitress' defense, I did ask a different waiter to relay the bday message to my waitress, but either it didn't happen or they forgot. Overall, still a great experience and I'd definitely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gilroygirlgilroygirlDined on 8/30/2014The food is excellent. We were disappointed in the Saturday night service though.Special Features:
- City locale the best, sjc rt 4 ROWbfjetsetterVIPDined on 8/27/2014The place was quite hip and modern. Very popular. The pared down menu was delicious and appropriate for the huge bare business they favor. We ate outdoors, which was better for two old friends who wanted to talk and catch up. Happy hour cannot be better for the budget minded. We ordered off both that and full dining. Overall it was really fun and lovely food. Wine list was appropriately paired for the style of food.Special Features:
- Did not have fresh seafooddebbiekrumDined on 8/24/2014I have been going to Staits for many years and this is not the first time I have encountered where they have run out of their fresh seafood. I brought three people from Denver to enjoy the seafood plater and it took three staff people to finally clarify that they had no sashimi, crab or lobster. Pretty disappointing that they don't plan ahead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodbrenvenDined on 8/23/2014Lunch for group of 5 people. Appetizers were very good (roti prata, samosa, fried calamari), but we were disappointed they were out of the fresh spring rolls. Chicken curry was enjoyed by 2. One person liked the special pancakes w/bacon. Duck sliders were excellent per 3 people and came with garlic frites. Garlic noodles were not brought out so we asked about them. The order apparently had been lost, but they made them quickly. They were only okay tasting. The service was a bit spotty as we looked for our waitperson a few times (to ask about the noodles, see a dessert menu and to get the check). The people clearing the table and bringing the dishes were very efficient and friendly.Special Features:
- not as good as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/20/2014I normally like this place but the food was so-so today. Went at 1:30p after the lunch crowd, maybe that's why. Was a bit disappointed. Food wasn't very hot and pad thai noodles were stuck together. Not good!Special Features:
- MehAdamDined on 8/16/2014Straits is a super fun place to go with a group of friends. Grab a table in the bar area, get some drinks and appetizers, and enjoy the trendy atmosphere. I've always liked going there. However, this trip was for a date, and the experience was meh at best. The hostess forgot about us when we arrived and asked for a table, despite having a reservation. Once we were finally seated, our waiter would go MIA for 15 minutes at a time. Just getting drinks took forever, and he just seemed annoyed the entire time. Not too fun.Special Features:
- Good experienceAnnaDined on 8/15/2014I was with my frnds and baby and my baby enjoyed there but strangely they do not hav a plastic straw cup for the kids .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- At your service dining!Sweetpea78Dined on 8/9/2014It's been 6 yrs and the experience and food is still delicious! Great place for girls night out dining. Order the Oragami Seabass and pad thai!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rather disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2014Did not receive food in a timely manner, and did not receive one dish we had ordered. Probably the last time I eat there, at least at this location.
- busy loud atmoshpere, rich foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014Things didn't get off to a good start when we were told to wait in the loud lounge despite having a reservation. Waiting a few minutes is fine but we were left there for 30 minutes before I went to ask about the table only to be told, "oh yeah it's ready"... hmm, OK. The noise levels are high here, with screaming kids, and metal chairs being scraped along the floor. The food was good but not great. Eg, lemongrass chicken described on the menu as "crispy chicken breast, spicy lemongrass kaffir lime sauce". What showed up was breaded and deep fried. Too heavy especially when we had roti parata, indian street noodles and fried calamari already. Good or bad, the first dish showed up on less than 4 minutes. We finally sat down then felt rushed.
- Bad Table, Service and FoodHappyTheManDined on 7/15/2014My reservation resulted in a small wobbly table on a narrow high traffic aisle with no visibility of or by the wait staff. After the first ten minutes and no water or place settings, I knew it would not go well. Waiter finally arrives, charming of course - but dumb as a brick. I had to explicitly ask for water on a hot day in outdoor seating. I ordered three items, only two show up. I asked our waiter for the bill and 15 minutes go by before he brings the bill - with the missing item still on the bill. I point that out and he starts questioning me about the dish and how it could not have been not brought out. He actually counted the dishes on the table....not thinking about "did I actually deliver a plate to this customer?". NEVER AGAIN!
- What a shameShameDined on 7/15/2014Food is good and should be showcased instead of the eye candy hostesses all over the place. It used to be the hostess looking sexy and a little bit modest but recently the only thing missing is a strip pole! Not good for business dinner; I hosted a 14 people dinner and some of my guest complained and disgusted about the attire of the hostesses
- Good food, poor managementOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/14/2014Or waitress was a cute kid but after ordering drinks we gave her our order. In fact she made some good suggestions. After an hour, and everyone around us was served, we asked her about our order. Shocked, she said forgot to put it in. She immediately remembered, she put it in and it came out quickly and all was good. Our issue wasn't that she made a huge mistake, she was busy and it happens. The issue was that she said, without us asking, sorry but management won't comp anything. No discount, no nightcap, nothing. She felt so bad she took a drink off and said she personally paid. Of course we put that amount back into the tip and would not allow her to personally pay. Bottom line, poor manangement choice and we won't be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FootLooseVIPDined on 7/12/2014Sea bass in parchment was divine. Cooked to a turn. Best I've ever eaten. Service could have been more attentive. Had to ask for water. Busboys too enthusiastic regarding wanting to remove appetizer dishes before edibles were entirely consumed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2014The food was outstanding. However, the services was very poor. It started with the lack of assignment of a waiter to our table resulting in 20-25 min before we got our drink order in, and then a similar confusion on our meal order. The meal itself was served fine and delicious. Then confusion again at the end of the meal as we were closing out the tab. We really like the food here, but struggle with whether it's worth dealing with the service levels.Special Features:
- GlamLolaDined on 7/11/2014I always like to eat in this restaurant.Food was great,service was a bit slow because they were so busy.the ambience was ok but the music was loud with a full house restaurant. Me and my friends were like screaming at each other. I will still I eat and recommend this restaurant because I like Singaporean food. I also like the Happy hour! Ciao!Special Features:
- Mostly poor foodCookieDined on 7/8/20143 of 4 lunch dishes were poorly done, Banana Salad was excellent, Duck Sliders were terrible, sauce overwhelmed any duck flavor, bun was soft and gluey, Green curry was right out of the bottle, Satay was flavorlessSpecial Features:
- Disappointing0524Dined on 7/5/2014Food not great. Curries have good flavor but lack FRESH ingredients. Veggie curry had almost no tofu and veggies that were in no way 'seasonal'. Most likely frozen out of a bag. Roti was in no way a roti. It was more like a flash fried piece of phyllo. Dipping sauce good though. Hostesses scantily dressed for a 'family' place. Kept tugging at their butt covering skirts to keep them down. Very tacky. Music WAY too loud. Difficult to talk to a person right next to you. May or may not go back. The menu is deceiving. Sounds better than it actually is.
- exhkDined on 7/5/2014bad food, dirty glasses/utensils, server(s) have poor memory
- Business LunchSteakLoverVIPDined on 7/3/2014Nice prix fix menu and lunch in a nice spot with outdoor dining. How can you beat this. I'll be back.Special Features:
- Chicken thighs, Really?TextureisimportantDined on 7/2/2014We ate at this restaurant on Thursday night. The flavors of the food were fantastic, but the ingredients were well below par. For example, they have a popular Indian dish that they make with Chicken Thighs, the sauce was quite good, but the chicken was rubbery. No Indian food restaurant uses chicken thighs to make this dish, only breast meat. Another dish with beef had a wonderful sauce but the meat was riddled with fat. You couldn't eat it unless you like a mouth full of mush. Let's up the budget on the quality of the protein, because the taste sensations are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeMissMiaVIPDined on 6/27/2014Ambience was great and the food was wonderful!! It gets a little louder as the evening goes on (they turn the music up around 930p / 10p) however not so loud that you have to yell to hear someone. Overall, a great place for a night out. It doesn't have a club feel and not quite a lounge feel eitherSpecial Features:
- The following 903 reviews are from the Straits Restaurant - Santana Row reviews archive.
- Food is fine, butMattCVIPDined on 6/14/2014employee trainings are sorely needed. I still tipped them 20%, but I probably over did it. 2 items on order were taken wrong. She corrected them. Spanish speaking delivery staff didn't know species of oyster given us. Was given old wine list instead of current one. But food was tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/13/2014Waited 1.5hrs for food from sitting down. We ordered 5 min after sitting down. Its was just 2 people. Apparently the kitchen was backed up. I would rather have them just said they were full for that night than try and service us. Food was decent, service was not that attentive considering the delay I would have liked more drink service. There was also hair in one of our drinks. All in all I wouldn't go back. Combination of everything made it not worth it. We did get 50% off of the non-alcohol items.Special Features:
- I can always depend on Straits.OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 6/13/2014We celebrated Father's Day on a Friday night. It's very loud on Friday and Saturday nights because it's Santana Row of course. Even though you wouldn't expect this place to be very kid friendly, the staff are very accommodating and don't give you any funny looks when you do have children with you. I think most people that frequent here know that it is a "scene" as the night goes on. The service is great and the food comes out very quickly, which is quite surprising especially on a Friday night when it pretty packed. All in all, Straits is consistent. As far as Asian fusion goes, it's good food.Special Features:
- Great food, Poor facilitiesSammiesjVIPDined on 6/10/2014I have been to this restaurant many times, it is a favorite of my best friend. It was her birthday, so I took her there for a special meal (5:30 p.m.). We sat outside on the patio, the waiter was professional and attentive. Food arrived quickly, we had butter chicken, street noddles, egg rolls and spinach salad all excellent. Presentation was beautiful. Only unfavorable comment is the condition of the ladies restroom. Lack of cleanliness, water all over the floor from leaking toilets, toilet seats were coming off, latches on doors would not lock. The lighting was poor in restroom & hallway. I have never seen things in such disrepair - you don't expect that from an upscale restaurant. Makes me wonder how clean is the kitchen?Special Features: