Straits Restaurant - Santana Row
333 Santana Row, Suite #1100
San Jose, CA 95128Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
Straits Restaurant - Santana Row
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.straitsrestaurants.com/
- Phone: (408) 246-6320
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Asian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Linda Huynh, email@example.com, 4082440516
A word from Straits Restaurant - Santana Row
Singapore for almost 200 years has been at the crossroads of Southeast Asia, where many cultures and nationalities live, work and more importantly, eat together. Singapore's cuisines logically reflect this cultural diversity. The four major culinary cultures -- Malaysian/Indonesian, Chinese, Indian and Nonya -- are in fact a blend of each other, creating a new cuisine that is unique and more complex in flavors and fragrances. Straits offers a menu that features the complexity of all these Singaporean cuisines in chef Chris Yeo's unique interpretation. This beautiful Santana Row location opened in January 2003.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
Straits Restaurant - Santana Row - Best Restaurants in San Jose ›
Straits Restaurant - Santana Row reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (40)good for groups (36)hot spot (35)great for outdoor dining (33)fit for foodies (28)special occasion (24)late-night find (17)great for lunch (13)romantic (11)neighborhood gem (7)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- StraitstheGeminiDined on 11/13/2014I had never been to Straits before and I had always passed it but never went in. My friends and I had a girls night out and thought we would go there and I was excited about it. I liked that I was able to make a reservation online. We got there, it's a super cool scene and we got seated timely. The food that we ordered was great and between 3 of us, sharing family style worked out great. The bussers were really good about taking our plates, cleaning our table, filling our waters, and packaging up our leftovers. But our waiter was making us really annoyed. It started off fine, but I finished my first drink and wanted to order another one and we couldn't seem to find him. He kept passing our table like he was ignoring us and never made eye contact. It's not like we were skimping, we ordered a lot of stuff and he never came back to check on us. When we got our food after we finished our appetizer he finally came back so I could order another drink but then we never saw him again until we had to flag him down for our bill. We almost wanted to under-tip but I didn't think that was fair to the bussers or the kitchen. Overall I think our experience was okay.Special Features:
- Good food, service lacks a bitOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/13/2014Food is great. Out waitress was a bit inexperienced. We waited awhile for our food and one dish never made it until we caught the attention of a manager. People are friendly however after asking for a table without a reservation we were seated to a small table near the entrance and there were about 100 tables open. When we asked to be moved to a better table the response was NO that because we did not have a reservation we could not move to a better table with most of the restaurant empty as we were early for dinner. Origami Sea Bass was great with Coconut rice. Drinks like the house made ginger soda right Down to dessert were all excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good fusion eatingEateryVIPDined on 11/8/2014I really like this Straits restaurant. The Singaporean food is very good. Their Roti Prata is really great! Our first waiter was very lack-luster - first drinks for half my small party took maybe 20-25 minutes to arrive, and arrived long after first food arrived (which was ordered much later). We switched waiters and things went back to normal and greatness!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but expected moreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/6/2014The reservation process through Open Table was great! There were a couple service related issues that took away from the experience. First - We were brought the wrong type of beer and had to return it. Then there was a dinner item on the menu that wasn't available, this happened again when it came to the desert menu. Our server was friendly and accommodating but these are things that should be table stakes for a good night out. Finally, the main course servings are a bit on the small side.Special Features:
- Service way offOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/1/2014Starts with a rude hostess, followed by 3 of 4 entrees arriving. The 4th came after we has all finished. Topped by last beverage forgotten. Still olive the food and locale, yet service was way off in all parts of the restaurant that night. Would not bring anyone I want to impress on a Sat night since this was a Sat and the reason they said it fell apart.Special Features:
- Poor servicePradeepDined on 10/31/2014We ordered a starter and 3 entrees. But they served our entrees first. They need to know what to serve first and what next. Also, after serving us the starter, the served us the same cold entrees which was not acceptable. Not happy with this kind of service.Special Features:
- good food, good bad sceneNeoklassiksoulVIPDined on 10/23/2014In general a good location. The food is overall good and cocktails very much the same. Nothing mind blowing but a conssistent place to eat pan asian food. Parking is easy and there is a vibrant bar scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nite out place!VP007VIPDined on 10/18/2014Vibrant place with excellent music. However, dinner portions are extremely little for some of the entrees.Special Features:
- yummy leisurely lunchSilverpandaDined on 10/17/2014My first SR location and it was perfect for a long lunch catching up with an old friend. The cocktails and roti are my staple there. My entree, the lemongrass beef and veggies were good but the garlic fries were the best. My friend's rendang beef bowl seemed ok. Desserts of pistachio cookie sandwich and coconut sorbet (server recommended), finished off our meal perfectly. Service was spot on and the tables (inside) were spaced nicely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spotJaideepADined on 10/6/2014Its a regular go to place to entertain special guests. And am never disappointed, and always happily surprised.Special Features:
- Great dinner with customersVictorDined on 9/29/2014We spent a great time with some customers visiting the area. The restaurant is nice and the ambiance is great. Food was good, they have just to improve their wine list, more an better choice is needed.Special Features:
- Not as good as it used to be.TEGOVIPDined on 9/27/2014We have been to Straits numerous times. The food USED TO BE outstanding. Now the food was just fair. The tables are too close together. The waitstaff had a tough time getting thru, disrupting our conversation as they struggled by our table over and over. It was too loud to carry on a conversation. In addition to the overall noise level, the table next to us had some men that were speaking unusually loud (although they were at a different table, they were only about 20 inches from us). To fit more people, this supposed quality restaurant has added a lot of outdoor dining. You are still paying the high prices but sitting on cheap plastic outdoor chairs that are not very comfortable. All in all, not a very good dining experience.
- Great eveningAnniefromenglandDined on 9/27/2014A bit pricey, but the small plates were fun and they came very quickly. Glad I made a reservation as it was packed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great team dinnerRowReviewerDined on 9/24/2014Loved the service from the moment I walked in the door. The hostess was very friendly and accommodating. We ordered family style and I was able to try a lot of dishes that I wouldn't have normally ordered, but I can't wait to go back and order for myself. Loved the ambiance and energy of this place. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Anniversary celebrationMommalinzDined on 9/13/2014I made reservations for our anniversary. We got dressed up and joined the crowd. It took a little bit of a wait for a table but it was well worth the wait. The appetizers and entrees were amazing. The sangria was fantastic. It was a perfect nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FlavorsPumpkinPieDined on 9/13/2014I loved the variety of foods and the flavors! The servers were friendly, attentive, and knew the menu very well. The only drawback was the loud music, but for others they probably didn't notice - after all it was a Saturday nite on Santana Row.Special Features:
- CookieDined on 9/7/2014Despite half-empty Sunday afternoon, service extremely slow. Waitress had no sweetner so had to go next door to borrow some Splenda. Took 20 mins. to get our "doggy bags." Nasi Goreng good flavor but oily and mostly rice. Should have more seafood, chicken, vegs, omelet.. Noodle bowl somewhat better. The scene is young, nice modern décor. Why isn't the food and service better?
- UnimpressivenehasDined on 9/5/2014Some dishes such as the indian street noodles and spicy basil chicken are great. Didn't enjoy the crab croquettes or the bland hainan chicken. They are uanble to handle the number of diners on a Friday night and so service leaves a lot to be desired.
- good for going out with friendsfeedmyfamilyDined on 9/5/2014It's a hip place to eat. Music is loud, drinks are good, food is decent. Service is friendly, but not very attentive, had to flag down the server a few times.Special Features:
- Straits for my daughters 18th bdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014What a great staff and service!! Food was amazing, good flavor combinations. Was very pleased I took my daughter there on such a special occasion for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great good, great atmosphere!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014The food was excellent and the decor and ambience were great, but the service is not quite 5 star. When we checked in they said our table was ready n just needed to get menus... 10 min later we had to remind them because they forgot about us. Ordering went well and the good was fantastic, but my water was always empty (I had to ask 3 times for water), and they forgot my friend's birthday dessert at the end. In my waitress' defense, I did ask a different waiter to relay the bday message to my waitress, but either it didn't happen or they forgot. Overall, still a great experience and I'd definitely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gilroygirlgilroygirlDined on 8/30/2014The food is excellent. We were disappointed in the Saturday night service though.Special Features:
- City locale the best, sjc rt 4 ROWbfjetsetterVIPDined on 8/27/2014The place was quite hip and modern. Very popular. The pared down menu was delicious and appropriate for the huge bare business they favor. We ate outdoors, which was better for two old friends who wanted to talk and catch up. Happy hour cannot be better for the budget minded. We ordered off both that and full dining. Overall it was really fun and lovely food. Wine list was appropriately paired for the style of food.Special Features:
- Did not have fresh seafooddebbiekrumVIPDined on 8/24/2014I have been going to Staits for many years and this is not the first time I have encountered where they have run out of their fresh seafood. I brought three people from Denver to enjoy the seafood plater and it took three staff people to finally clarify that they had no sashimi, crab or lobster. Pretty disappointing that they don't plan ahead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodbrenvenDined on 8/23/2014Lunch for group of 5 people. Appetizers were very good (roti prata, samosa, fried calamari), but we were disappointed they were out of the fresh spring rolls. Chicken curry was enjoyed by 2. One person liked the special pancakes w/bacon. Duck sliders were excellent per 3 people and came with garlic frites. Garlic noodles were not brought out so we asked about them. The order apparently had been lost, but they made them quickly. They were only okay tasting. The service was a bit spotty as we looked for our waitperson a few times (to ask about the noodles, see a dessert menu and to get the check). The people clearing the table and bringing the dishes were very efficient and friendly.Special Features:
- not as good as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/20/2014I normally like this place but the food was so-so today. Went at 1:30p after the lunch crowd, maybe that's why. Was a bit disappointed. Food wasn't very hot and pad thai noodles were stuck together. Not good!Special Features:
- MehAdamDined on 8/16/2014Straits is a super fun place to go with a group of friends. Grab a table in the bar area, get some drinks and appetizers, and enjoy the trendy atmosphere. I've always liked going there. However, this trip was for a date, and the experience was meh at best. The hostess forgot about us when we arrived and asked for a table, despite having a reservation. Once we were finally seated, our waiter would go MIA for 15 minutes at a time. Just getting drinks took forever, and he just seemed annoyed the entire time. Not too fun.Special Features:
- Good experienceAnnaDined on 8/15/2014I was with my frnds and baby and my baby enjoyed there but strangely they do not hav a plastic straw cup for the kids .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- At your service dining!Sweetpea78Dined on 8/9/2014It's been 6 yrs and the experience and food is still delicious! Great place for girls night out dining. Order the Oragami Seabass and pad thai!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rather disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2014Did not receive food in a timely manner, and did not receive one dish we had ordered. Probably the last time I eat there, at least at this location.
- busy loud atmoshpere, rich foodEzEatrDined on 8/2/2014Things didn't get off to a good start when we were told to wait in the loud lounge despite having a reservation. Waiting a few minutes is fine but we were left there for 30 minutes before I went to ask about the table only to be told, "oh yeah it's ready"... hmm, OK. The noise levels are high here, with screaming kids, and metal chairs being scraped along the floor. The food was good but not great. Eg, lemongrass chicken described on the menu as "crispy chicken breast, spicy lemongrass kaffir lime sauce". What showed up was breaded and deep fried. Too heavy especially when we had roti parata, indian street noodles and fried calamari already. Good or bad, the first dish showed up on less than 4 minutes. We finally sat down then felt rushed.
- The following 917 reviews are from the Straits Restaurant - Santana Row reviews archive.
- Fun girls night out!KatesDined on 7/26/2014Great restaurant for a fun girls night out! Food was good, service was fair but it's a fun place to people watch and great environmentSpecial Features:
- Bad Table, Service and FoodHappyTheManDined on 7/15/2014My reservation resulted in a small wobbly table on a narrow high traffic aisle with no visibility of or by the wait staff. After the first ten minutes and no water or place settings, I knew it would not go well. Waiter finally arrives, charming of course - but dumb as a brick. I had to explicitly ask for water on a hot day in outdoor seating. I ordered three items, only two show up. I asked our waiter for the bill and 15 minutes go by before he brings the bill - with the missing item still on the bill. I point that out and he starts questioning me about the dish and how it could not have been not brought out. He actually counted the dishes on the table....not thinking about "did I actually deliver a plate to this customer?". NEVER AGAIN!
- What a shameShameDined on 7/15/2014Food is good and should be showcased instead of the eye candy hostesses all over the place. It used to be the hostess looking sexy and a little bit modest but recently the only thing missing is a strip pole! Not good for business dinner; I hosted a 14 people dinner and some of my guest complained and disgusted about the attire of the hostesses
- Good food, poor managementOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/14/2014Or waitress was a cute kid but after ordering drinks we gave her our order. In fact she made some good suggestions. After an hour, and everyone around us was served, we asked her about our order. Shocked, she said forgot to put it in. She immediately remembered, she put it in and it came out quickly and all was good. Our issue wasn't that she made a huge mistake, she was busy and it happens. The issue was that she said, without us asking, sorry but management won't comp anything. No discount, no nightcap, nothing. She felt so bad she took a drink off and said she personally paid. Of course we put that amount back into the tip and would not allow her to personally pay. Bottom line, poor manangement choice and we won't be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FootLooseVIPDined on 7/12/2014Sea bass in parchment was divine. Cooked to a turn. Best I've ever eaten. Service could have been more attentive. Had to ask for water. Busboys too enthusiastic regarding wanting to remove appetizer dishes before edibles were entirely consumed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2014The food was outstanding. However, the services was very poor. It started with the lack of assignment of a waiter to our table resulting in 20-25 min before we got our drink order in, and then a similar confusion on our meal order. The meal itself was served fine and delicious. Then confusion again at the end of the meal as we were closing out the tab. We really like the food here, but struggle with whether it's worth dealing with the service levels.Special Features:
- GlamLolaDined on 7/11/2014I always like to eat in this restaurant.Food was great,service was a bit slow because they were so busy.the ambience was ok but the music was loud with a full house restaurant. Me and my friends were like screaming at each other. I will still I eat and recommend this restaurant because I like Singaporean food. I also like the Happy hour! Ciao!Special Features:
- Mostly poor foodCookieDined on 7/8/20143 of 4 lunch dishes were poorly done, Banana Salad was excellent, Duck Sliders were terrible, sauce overwhelmed any duck flavor, bun was soft and gluey, Green curry was right out of the bottle, Satay was flavorlessSpecial Features:
- Disappointing0524Dined on 7/5/2014Food not great. Curries have good flavor but lack FRESH ingredients. Veggie curry had almost no tofu and veggies that were in no way 'seasonal'. Most likely frozen out of a bag. Roti was in no way a roti. It was more like a flash fried piece of phyllo. Dipping sauce good though. Hostesses scantily dressed for a 'family' place. Kept tugging at their butt covering skirts to keep them down. Very tacky. Music WAY too loud. Difficult to talk to a person right next to you. May or may not go back. The menu is deceiving. Sounds better than it actually is.