Straits Restaurant - Santana Row
333 Santana Row, Suite #1100
San Jose, CA 95128Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
Straits Restaurant - Santana Row
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.straitsrestaurants.com/
- Phone: 4082466320
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Asian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Linda Huynh, firstname.lastname@example.org, 4082440516
A word from Straits Restaurant - Santana Row
Singapore for almost 200 years has been at the crossroads of Southeast Asia, where many cultures and nationalities live, work and more importantly, eat together. Singapore's cuisines logically reflect this cultural diversity. The four major culinary cultures -- Malaysian/Indonesian, Chinese, Indian and Nonya -- are in fact a blend of each other, creating a new cuisine that is unique and more complex in flavors and fragrances. Straits offers a menu that features the complexity of all these Singaporean cuisines in chef Chris Yeo's unique interpretation. This beautiful Santana Row location opened in January 2003.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Straits Restaurant - Santana Row - Best Restaurants in San Jose ›
Straits Restaurant - Santana Row reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since April 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (36)good for groups (34)great for outdoor dining (30)hot spot (26)special occasion (24)fit for foodies (20)late-night find (18)great for lunch (16)romantic (12)neighborhood gem (10)great for brunch (8)notable wine list (5)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Did not have fresh seafooddebbiekrumDined on 8/24/2014I have been going to Staits for many years and this is not the first time I have encountered where they have run out of their fresh seafood. I brought three people from Denver to enjoy the seafood plater and it took three staff people to finally clarify that they had no sashimi, crab or lobster. Pretty disappointing that they don't plan ahead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodbrenvenDined on 8/23/2014Lunch for group of 5 people. Appetizers were very good (roti prata, samosa, fried calamari), but we were disappointed they were out of the fresh spring rolls. Chicken curry was enjoyed by 2. One person liked the special pancakes w/bacon. Duck sliders were excellent per 3 people and came with garlic frites. Garlic noodles were not brought out so we asked about them. The order apparently had been lost, but they made them quickly. They were only okay tasting. The service was a bit spotty as we looked for our waitperson a few times (to ask about the noodles, see a dessert menu and to get the check). The people clearing the table and bringing the dishes were very efficient and friendly.Special Features:
- not as good as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/20/2014I normally like this place but the food was so-so today. Went at 1:30p after the lunch crowd, maybe that's why. Was a bit disappointed. Food wasn't very hot and pad thai noodles were stuck together. Not good!Special Features:
- MehAdamDined on 8/16/2014Straits is a super fun place to go with a group of friends. Grab a table in the bar area, get some drinks and appetizers, and enjoy the trendy atmosphere. I've always liked going there. However, this trip was for a date, and the experience was meh at best. The hostess forgot about us when we arrived and asked for a table, despite having a reservation. Once we were finally seated, our waiter would go MIA for 15 minutes at a time. Just getting drinks took forever, and he just seemed annoyed the entire time. Not too fun.Special Features:
- Good experienceAnnaDined on 8/15/2014I was with my frnds and baby and my baby enjoyed there but strangely they do not hav a plastic straw cup for the kids .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- At your service dining!Sweetpea78Dined on 8/9/2014It's been 6 yrs and the experience and food is still delicious! Great place for girls night out dining. Order the Oragami Seabass and pad thai!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rather disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2014Did not receive food in a timely manner, and did not receive one dish we had ordered. Probably the last time I eat there, at least at this location.
- busy loud atmoshpere, rich foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014Things didn't get off to a good start when we were told to wait in the loud lounge despite having a reservation. Waiting a few minutes is fine but we were left there for 30 minutes before I went to ask about the table only to be told, "oh yeah it's ready"... hmm, OK. The noise levels are high here, with screaming kids, and metal chairs being scraped along the floor. The food was good but not great. Eg, lemongrass chicken described on the menu as "crispy chicken breast, spicy lemongrass kaffir lime sauce". What showed up was breaded and deep fried. Too heavy especially when we had roti parata, indian street noodles and fried calamari already. Good or bad, the first dish showed up on less than 4 minutes. We finally sat down then felt rushed.
- Bad Table, Service and FoodHappyTheManDined on 7/15/2014My reservation resulted in a small wobbly table on a narrow high traffic aisle with no visibility of or by the wait staff. After the first ten minutes and no water or place settings, I knew it would not go well. Waiter finally arrives, charming of course - but dumb as a brick. I had to explicitly ask for water on a hot day in outdoor seating. I ordered three items, only two show up. I asked our waiter for the bill and 15 minutes go by before he brings the bill - with the missing item still on the bill. I point that out and he starts questioning me about the dish and how it could not have been not brought out. He actually counted the dishes on the table....not thinking about "did I actually deliver a plate to this customer?". NEVER AGAIN!
- What a shameShameDined on 7/15/2014Food is good and should be showcased instead of the eye candy hostesses all over the place. It used to be the hostess looking sexy and a little bit modest but recently the only thing missing is a strip pole! Not good for business dinner; I hosted a 14 people dinner and some of my guest complained and disgusted about the attire of the hostesses
- Good food, poor managementOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/14/2014Or waitress was a cute kid but after ordering drinks we gave her our order. In fact she made some good suggestions. After an hour, and everyone around us was served, we asked her about our order. Shocked, she said forgot to put it in. She immediately remembered, she put it in and it came out quickly and all was good. Our issue wasn't that she made a huge mistake, she was busy and it happens. The issue was that she said, without us asking, sorry but management won't comp anything. No discount, no nightcap, nothing. She felt so bad she took a drink off and said she personally paid. Of course we put that amount back into the tip and would not allow her to personally pay. Bottom line, poor manangement choice and we won't be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FootLooseVIPDined on 7/12/2014Sea bass in parchment was divine. Cooked to a turn. Best I've ever eaten. Service could have been more attentive. Had to ask for water. Busboys too enthusiastic regarding wanting to remove appetizer dishes before edibles were entirely consumed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2014The food was outstanding. However, the services was very poor. It started with the lack of assignment of a waiter to our table resulting in 20-25 min before we got our drink order in, and then a similar confusion on our meal order. The meal itself was served fine and delicious. Then confusion again at the end of the meal as we were closing out the tab. We really like the food here, but struggle with whether it's worth dealing with the service levels.Special Features:
- GlamLolaDined on 7/11/2014I always like to eat in this restaurant.Food was great,service was a bit slow because they were so busy.the ambience was ok but the music was loud with a full house restaurant. Me and my friends were like screaming at each other. I will still I eat and recommend this restaurant because I like Singaporean food. I also like the Happy hour! Ciao!Special Features:
- Mostly poor foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/8/20143 of 4 lunch dishes were poorly done, Banana Salad was excellent, Duck Sliders were terrible, sauce overwhelmed any duck flavor, bun was soft and gluey, Green curry was right out of the bottle, Satay was flavorlessSpecial Features:
- Disappointing0524Dined on 7/5/2014Food not great. Curries have good flavor but lack FRESH ingredients. Veggie curry had almost no tofu and veggies that were in no way 'seasonal'. Most likely frozen out of a bag. Roti was in no way a roti. It was more like a flash fried piece of phyllo. Dipping sauce good though. Hostesses scantily dressed for a 'family' place. Kept tugging at their butt covering skirts to keep them down. Very tacky. Music WAY too loud. Difficult to talk to a person right next to you. May or may not go back. The menu is deceiving. Sounds better than it actually is.
- exhkDined on 7/5/2014bad food, dirty glasses/utensils, server(s) have poor memory
- Business LunchSteakLoverVIPDined on 7/3/2014Nice prix fix menu and lunch in a nice spot with outdoor dining. How can you beat this. I'll be back.Special Features:
- Chicken thighs, Really?TextureisimportantDined on 7/2/2014We ate at this restaurant on Thursday night. The flavors of the food were fantastic, but the ingredients were well below par. For example, they have a popular Indian dish that they make with Chicken Thighs, the sauce was quite good, but the chicken was rubbery. No Indian food restaurant uses chicken thighs to make this dish, only breast meat. Another dish with beef had a wonderful sauce but the meat was riddled with fat. You couldn't eat it unless you like a mouth full of mush. Let's up the budget on the quality of the protein, because the taste sensations are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeMissMiaVIPDined on 6/27/2014Ambience was great and the food was wonderful!! It gets a little louder as the evening goes on (they turn the music up around 930p / 10p) however not so loud that you have to yell to hear someone. Overall, a great place for a night out. It doesn't have a club feel and not quite a lounge feel eitherSpecial Features:
- Food is fine, butMattCVIPDined on 6/14/2014employee trainings are sorely needed. I still tipped them 20%, but I probably over did it. 2 items on order were taken wrong. She corrected them. Spanish speaking delivery staff didn't know species of oyster given us. Was given old wine list instead of current one. But food was tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/13/2014Waited 1.5hrs for food from sitting down. We ordered 5 min after sitting down. Its was just 2 people. Apparently the kitchen was backed up. I would rather have them just said they were full for that night than try and service us. Food was decent, service was not that attentive considering the delay I would have liked more drink service. There was also hair in one of our drinks. All in all I wouldn't go back. Combination of everything made it not worth it. We did get 50% off of the non-alcohol items.Special Features:
- I can always depend on Straits.OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 6/13/2014We celebrated Father's Day on a Friday night. It's very loud on Friday and Saturday nights because it's Santana Row of course. Even though you wouldn't expect this place to be very kid friendly, the staff are very accommodating and don't give you any funny looks when you do have children with you. I think most people that frequent here know that it is a "scene" as the night goes on. The service is great and the food comes out very quickly, which is quite surprising especially on a Friday night when it pretty packed. All in all, Straits is consistent. As far as Asian fusion goes, it's good food.Special Features:
- Great food, Poor facilitiesSammiesjVIPDined on 6/10/2014I have been to this restaurant many times, it is a favorite of my best friend. It was her birthday, so I took her there for a special meal (5:30 p.m.). We sat outside on the patio, the waiter was professional and attentive. Food arrived quickly, we had butter chicken, street noddles, egg rolls and spinach salad all excellent. Presentation was beautiful. Only unfavorable comment is the condition of the ladies restroom. Lack of cleanliness, water all over the floor from leaking toilets, toilet seats were coming off, latches on doors would not lock. The lighting was poor in restroom & hallway. I have never seen things in such disrepair - you don't expect that from an upscale restaurant. Makes me wonder how clean is the kitchen?Special Features:
- Awesome brunchlaurenDined on 6/8/2014The brunch service was great! Bottomless mimosas for $15 is a steal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerDrGMinimeDined on 6/5/2014Best choice for a group dinner. The restaurant was great with reservations and the atmosphere was fantastic. The food was great even though some of the orders were messed up. Overall one of the best highlights of my day! Would definitely come back for the calamari and sashimi plate!!Special Features:
- yummycaitieVIPDined on 6/4/2014one of my fave restaurants for the food. the place is so loud its hard to enjoy peoples company but the food is spectacularSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014It was too noise by 9:30pm. The music was so loud that I could not hear my date across the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2014server didnt write down our orders, said she had it squared away. When the food came, we weren't sure of one dish but ate it anyway,we checked the dish we originally ordered from the menu and it wasn't what we ordered but it was good anyway. we told our server about it, and she said she noticed that too so shw wouldn't charge us for it, how odd. At the end, another order never came, and server said she forgot about it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/21/2014to loud, adequate food and marginal service...especially since we were 1 of 2 tables being attended to by our server.
- FoodTravelerVIPDined on 5/20/2014Lunch portions are kind of small for the price but the food is good and it is a fun location overall.Special Features:
- fooodieDined on 5/19/2014We were there for a business dinner. Food at just so so, nothing worth , especially for that price. You can get better quality food for less price somewhere else. But the location and ambiance there are very good. I guess that us what we are paying for.Special Features:
- good food but bad servicefood4thoughtDined on 5/17/2014We dine at Straits for the delicious, unique tasting food. We especially enjoy the spare ribs and garlic noodles. However, on this visit, the service was totally lacking. We sat down and waited for 30 minutes before we flagged a staff member down - even then he was totally lost as to who our waiter was. Our waitress was apologetic and courteous while taking our order. As normal, the dishes begin arriving in random order rather slowly. We were slowly picking at the food waiting for our noodle dish to arrive. Our waitress was MIA for the entire meal. We were practically done eating our dishes when we were finally able to flag another employee down asking about our noodle dish. DISAPPOINTED!!!Special Features:
- Mother's Day poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2014Had been to this place, but never had this bad experience. Wrong order delivered three times. Eventually right dish arrived, but with shrimps, whereas order was for veg version. Entree dishes arrived at a gap of 5-7 min each. Imagine getting lunch order for 5 being delivered over 15+ minutes. The only explanation given was "it's Mother's Day rush".
- Basically a bar with foodcupertinokimsDined on 5/11/2014Well known meat market. Makes high margins on alcohol. Has to have food so people don't pass out. Maitre D's are snobbish. Waiters and waitresses mostly also. Picked for their looks instead of their service skills. Our waitress seemed to be the one exception. Nice and attentive but overworked. Food was cold and over salted.Special Features:
- UniqueOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/10/2014Enjoyed this unique restaurant; Great presentation of the food; nice flavorsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible ServicejhylVIPDined on 5/10/2014Even for brunch they operate as "family-style" serving, which makes no sense -- how do you share brunch items? We had to ask for items 3 times before they arrived and the breaks between food served was something like 20 minutes. Also, we were there to celebrate my mother's birthday (which I left a note in the reservation) and they made no acknowledgement.Special Features:
- Excellent TasteMissSanguinityDined on 5/3/2014Straits is a good place to go if you've got a taste for upscale Asian fusion flavors. The lemongrass beef, samosas, and garlic noodles are favorites that we regularly come back for. They're all excellent, as are the different flavored sodas. Santana Row in general is lovely, and the decor matches the upscale atmosphere of the strip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - But too loudDeeseakayDined on 5/2/2014I chose Straits Cafe at Santan Row, for a reunion with some old colleagues, some local and our main guest from Bavaria. The party took a while to all gather and the staff were accomodating. Then I ordered a wide variety of dishes from Duck Sliders to Seafood Ciopino, to Butter Chicken and Green Curry vegatables, and other dishes. Each one was very flavorful and unique and everyone commented on the selection and that there wasn't a bad choice in the bunch. Also had nice wine by the glass and tasty deserts. So from a foodie perspective I give Straits, high marks. But, since we went there to visit, the crowd noise was pretty loud, making conversation difficult. But overall we very much enjoyed the evening.Special Features:
- The following 884 reviews are from the Straits Restaurant - Santana Row reviews archive.
- good foodgoodfoodDined on 4/24/2014I really liked the origami sea bass. The fish was cooked perfectly, and the seasoning was spot on. I came here as part of a work group, but I will bring my wife here just so she can taste the fish! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.