Straits Restaurant - San Francisco
845 Market Street Suite 597
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
AsianPrice: $30 and under
Straits Restaurant - San Francisco
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.straitsrestaurants.com/
- Phone: 4156681783x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 11am - 9:30pm
Friday - Saturday: 11am - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Chris Yeo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Private Events
120 people formal dining
250 Cocktail Reception
- Private Party Facilities: Straits Restaurant Private Dining Area
- Private Party Contact: Joanna Rae Tan 4152095577x
- Entertainment: Join us every Tuesday for 50% off all bottles of wine!
Daily Happy Hour from 4pm - 7pm
All night Happy Hour every Wednesday
- Special Events: Straits Restaurant is available for all your special event and off-site catering needs. Whether it's a business lunch, cocktail reception or full seated dinner, Straits can help create a fantastic and memorable event. Please call for more information.
A word from Straits Restaurant - San Francisco
Singapore for almost 200 years has been at the crossroads of Southeast Asia, where many cultures and nationalities live, work and more importantly, eat together. Singapore's cuisines logically reflect this cultural diversity. The four major culinary cultures -- Malaysian/Indonesian, Chinese, Indian and Nonya -- are in fact a blend of each other, creating a new cuisine that is unique and more complex in flavors and fragrances. Straits Restaurant offers a menu that features the complexity of all these Singaporean cuisines in chef Chris Yeo's unique interpretation.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
Straits Restaurant - San Francisco - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Union Square ›
Straits Restaurant - San Francisco reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (24)good for groups (17)special occasion (14)great for lunch (13)romantic (10)vibrant bar scene (8)hot spot (7)great for brunch (6)neighborhood gem (5)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great Food, But LoudMichelinStarHunterVIPDined on 8/31/2014I always love the food in Straits, especially the roti, spareribs (the best in SF, if you ask me), the roasted chicken, and the mango coconut dessert, but lately I'm getting really tired of noise factor of the environment. How I wish they turned down the volume of the house music, stop appealing to just the young hipster crowd, and turn this restaurant into a place for adults who could enjoy good Southeast Asian food while carrying a conversation without yelling across tables. The side room, to the left when you enter, is a tiny bit more quiet than the main dining area, but even here, the noise level is high. Are they trying to be a club with good food or a restaurant? Obviously its the former.
- Good food!labradorDined on 8/19/2014Once inside you don't feel like you are in the Mall. We both stuck to ordering just main courses with jasmine rice. Glad we did this as the portions were huge. The sauce on the lemon chicken dish was really spicy and very tasty. The stir fry beef was also well cooked and there was plenty of meat.Special Features:
- On targetgrampscVIPDined on 8/14/2014Straits always gives 100%,, thanks especially Thrang for the wonderful service and interest she showed in our enjoying ourselves.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerMomaBettyDined on 8/9/2014This is not my first time at Straits. I have always enjoyed dining at Straits. It is a place I frequently take friends and family for special occasions, and everyone has always enjoyed themselves. I can always use some kind of excuse to come to Straits. Enjoyable. I have a small social club of ladies, we call ourselves "Sisters In Red". I plan to invite them all over in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great menuUKfamilyDined on 8/8/2014We did the "many small plates" experience and did not regret it. Many, many dishes to choose and share. Everyone had a bit of everything and we ate so much we thought that we would explode. Busy, loud and fun.Special Features:
- happy hourSusanDined on 8/7/2014I was meeting a friend for dinner & got there early.... they offered to seat me; but said not only couldn't I get happy hour specials at a table (I had to be in the bar) but would have to FINISH my happy hour drink in the bar. The bar was pretty full; the restaurant side not very full..... seemed a bit silly to me! If I could have accessed a happy hour drink & brought to my table, you would have gotten more money from me!
- Excellent for a Shopping MallOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/1/2014If you are shopping at the Westfield Center this is a great place to have dinner. The shaking beef was excellent and the calamari was perfect. We would go again.
- bad service and moreOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/1/2014For a group of six for a Friday lunch, we did ordered 3 bottle of wine. To start, the wine list is not extensive and limited to one page. The best wine (highest price) ended up to be out of stock. How can one out of 4 REDS on your wine lists be out of stock??? Next, the server brought the wrong bottle (our 2nd bottle) and we had to correct him before he actually opens it. Food was okay, but the service were definitely bad. It wasn't busy at all. I was a bit shock to see the manager come to greet at the end of our ~2.5 hr sitting. Hello?!
- Never disappointsSFFoodie06Dined on 7/25/2014Visit this place at least once a month. Great food, nice happy hour and awesome customer service keeps me coming back.Special Features:
- Favorite in SFSeismicVIPDined on 7/25/2014I've been a huge fan since long ago when this place was off the beaten path and called the Straits Cafe. I always come in for a meal when I am visiting SF. The roti prata is so good it's addictive. The Singaporean chili crab is a favorite--a wok-fried crab with sweet chili sauce. The lemongrass chicken is breaded, flash-fried and sliced thin and served with a lush peanut lemongrass sauce. Food is always outstanding.Special Features:
- dajmVIPDined on 7/23/2014As always .....the staff did not disappoint!!!!! The food was delicious. The service was impeccable. I am definitely a return customer. The experience is incredible.Special Features:
- Good foodYumYumDined on 7/15/2014But it's very noisy, if you want to have a meal and talk to your friends - forget about it! Go there alone or with a person you don't want to talk!Special Features:
- Good food & cocktail. Poor service.Dine4funDined on 7/14/2014We were with out-of-town guests and wanted to show off your restaurant and singapore cuisine. This dinner experience was disappointing and embarrassing. Service was really slow although our section is quite empty. We were not offerred finger bowl after crab dish; not even a packaged wet nap. When I asked for something to clean our fingers, the server told us to clean up in the restroom. That is really, really bad form for a "classy" restaurant that charges $30+ for the crab dish. Restaurant is supposed to close at 9:30 pm. By 9:30 pm, the restaurant staff were already cleaning up while we were ready for our dessert and coffee. We could not order dessert since the kitchen was closed. We felt "chased out" of the restaurant.
- Nice atmosphere, good foodAnnaDined on 7/14/2014Not amazing by any standards, but a fun place to get some noodles.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Improved, Almost TheregolfkatVIPDined on 7/5/2014There has been a big improvement over my last visit about 2 years ago. I would like to see more healthy options on the menu. Service is pretty good, though I did get one glass of flat bubbly!!!
- DeliciousPamelaVIPDined on 7/2/2014The menu is really, really good. I would like to see some specials, from time-to-time, since I eat here often.Special Features:
- A nice location with good potentialnavsfDined on 6/28/2014This Asian fusion cuisine restaurant has a lot of potential but needs the right kind of staffing and management. It took the server more than 1 hour to get to taking our food order after the appetizers which was quick. The drinks were overly sweet without much taste. The food did not taste very good either. Tomato ketchup is NOT a substitute for the tomato sauce. Overall, a disappointment in terms of both food and service.
- Somewhat DisappointedRogMartDined on 6/15/2014Straits used to be one of my favorite restaurants, but it seem like the food quality (at least at the San Francisco location) was not as good as I remember. The food came out warm instead of hot, and the service was subpar. I felt some of the dishes were overpriced as well for the amount of food that you get.Special Features:
- Small Plates AhoyRhejinaldVIPDined on 6/10/2014The small plates are the reason to come here - order several for the group to share and you'll get a good variety of flavors and not overfill. The creme brulee is above average and worth trying at least once.Special Features:
- Straits RestaurantLeeFDined on 6/2/2014Having eaten a number of times at the original Straits on Geary Street some years ago; I ordered an old favorite, rendang. Unfortunately, the spices seem to have been "dumbed down" and the dish was a shadow of its former self. The cocktails remain top notch and the ambience of the restaurant dark and pleasant.
- The following 666 reviews are from the Straits Restaurant - San Francisco reviews archive.
- SusieDined on 5/27/2014Great food and service. First time here, but will return.Special Features:
- Great place to meet friends!!!RowsDined on 5/23/2014I've been here several times and I love it...still love it now, great food, great service, good wine, good place to meet friends, affordable and clean👍👍Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/19/2014My friend and I shared 4 small plates/appetizers- chicken wings, pork ribs, murtabak and frites, and shared one dessert- Strawberry ice cream pie. The food was very good, though a bit indulgent! We liked all the things we shared and left nothing on our plates.Special Features:
- DisappointingCandiKDined on 5/16/2014Even though the server was very apologetic (numerous times) the food took forever to come out, portions very small and food not very flavorful heard good things about chicken pops, but they took them off the menu..would not recommend, would not go back...
- Good choice for Mother's Day dinnerAsianCusineFanDined on 5/11/2014Food was outstanding with every dish (and we ended up ordering quite a few) bursting with flavor. Service was prompt but server lacked complete familiarity with menu and had to keep going back to the kitchen for information. Overall it was a great experience and would highly recommend to those that are looking for unique Asian flavors. The menu brings together several Asian cuisine influences seamlessly making for a great foodie experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JeitaDined on 5/8/2014Great food with nice selections . Nice veget selectionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at StraitsOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 5/8/2014Host failed to account for our Opentable res. instead our res was cancelled. When I called to address the issue. The woman was not helpful and mentioned several reasons why she could not he me. Dennis the manager came to the rescue. He fixed and called me back to update. Food was very good and our sever was very helpful.
- We Needed a Place for a Team LunchTarynDined on 5/8/2014I went to the Westfield restaurant's website, and remembered that I had attended a late night function at Straits before, so I decided to try it for the food. It was wonderful; the garlic noodles and shrimp tasted very fresh, and everyone at our table ate everything; there was no food left behind. It was also a nice place for us to talk to each other, since it was a work lunch. We will definitely be coming back.Special Features:
- Strait it isgrampscVIPDined on 4/29/2014This is one of the very best on offer in SF for good food at a moderate price, the location inside the mall just adds to the plus factor, try this once and you will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where did their Chef go?BeachyGalDined on 4/25/2014Main complaint was with service- entrees brought to table (and refused) before the starter. Chopsticks removed (for some reason) and not replaced even when asked. Servers were pleasant enough but just terribly effective. The corn fritters were as expected and that was a good thing. The Mojitos were also well crafted. House steak specialty featured ample beef but wok must have been luke-warm since beef was steamed and sauce was tasteless glop. Even the sambal- requested to give SOME taste to the beef -was mostly sweet. Too many other good places in the Westfield so we will try another place next time.
- Service ruined the brunchTravelingFoodieDined on 4/19/2014We arrived for an early brunch reservation and were the only party in the restaurant. The server only brought two of the three entrees that our party ordered and never checked back with us. We sat there for twenty minutes waiting for the third entree (while our food was getting cold) before I flagged down our server and asked about the missing entree. When the server finally brought the third entree and all of the people at the table received their order, there was no apology. The food was good (albeit cold), but service ruined the dining experience. I have been a longtime Straits fan, but I'm not sure that I'll be back after this disappointing experience.Special Features:
- Great for a pre-movie dinner.SandyVIPDined on 4/4/2014Great for a pre-movie dinner. Good service and food. Nice vegetarian options.Special Features:
- DisappointedmustluvkidsDined on 3/29/2014I came to this resturant a year ago, and the food and ambience was great. I took my girlfriends there last week, dragged them from the south bay promising them it was worth the drive. It was a complete bust !! They had run out of the main fish dish I went there for by 8pm ??!! The food came out at different times, was cold and the quality had definately gone down. The server didn't seem to know what he was doing either, we had to ask for our drinks over and over, ask to him to remove our used plates. I honestly felt embrassed !!
- Food good, reservations agent rudeACBHDined on 3/28/2014We were very happy with the food and the location was convenient for our evening plans. Music louder than we would have liked, but only strong negative was the very rude reservations agent. We made the reservation through Open Table. On the day of the dinner, we received a call from the restaurant announcing that we had to be there at exactly 5:45pm, and that all four of our party had to be present at that time, in order not to lose the table. My husband acknowledged this, whereupon the woman said "Do you understand that?" Offended, he replied: "Yes, English is my first language."
- SF StraitsYragDined on 3/22/2014Food was great! Too noisy for our liking. Ambience is more in tune for a younger crowd. Dark.Special Features:
- We were so happy to find aSusanLVIPDined on 3/19/2014We were so happy to find a "happy hour" at Straits before the MetLive movie on Wednesday. We enjoyed sitting at the "Big Table", enjoyed the $5 appetizers (we ordered 6 plates for 4 people) and the reduced price beer and wines. Would definitely repeat in the future!
- DisappointedYummyInMyTummyVIPDined on 3/19/2014Came here for dinner when it first opened. It was amazing. The ginger chicken, rice, roti, soup, salads, drinks. Service was friendly and prompt. This time I went with a coworker for my birthday. Service was slow, I was the first one there, no one said anything to me for 10 minutes until the rest of the party arrived. Then, it took another 10 minutes for them to get our order and food was not as yummy as the last time. The servers didn’t even provide their names. I’d go again, but I would tell people to not expect much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roti and accompanying curryOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/18/2014Roti and accompanying curry sauce was very good. Stir fried beef was excellent. Cioppino was good. A very good venue for an after work drink and either a professional or personal engagement afterwards; one of those restaurant/bars which merge these worlds well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tast but doesn't quite hit the spotNoviceCookDined on 3/9/2014We went on a Sunday late afternoon. The service was friendly. There were hardly any people, may be because it was a Sunday, may be because it was late, may be because people don't know Singaporean food. We enjoyed our meal of roti parata, chicken wings, Nasi goreng, mee goreng, sambas prawns and Singaporean style chicken curry. They were all good, but didn't quite hit the spot for the dishes we were craving since our last visit to Singapore. We were a little disappointed as we were comparing.Special Features:
- DownhillOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/8/2014We have been going to Straits before movies for a few years. This last visit will be our last. The food has become more and more bland over the past couple of years and now it's just boring and not worth it. I sat to watch the open kitchen for a short while and the cooks were joking, talking with the wait staff and not focused on the food. Two glasses of wine, one appetizer, one salad and a couple of curries and we dropped $75 plus tip. Too bad, because it should be better than this.