Straits Restaurant - Burlingame
1100 Burlingame Ave.
Burlingame, CA 94010Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
Straits Restaurant - Burlingame
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.straitsrestaurants.com/
- Phone: 6503737883x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Sunday 11:30AM-3:00PM; Dinner: Monday-Thursday 5:00PM-10:00PM; Friday-Saturday 3:00PM-11:00PM. Bar open until 1:30AM on Friday and Saturday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Southeast Asian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Chris Yeo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please call the restaurant or visit our website for catering options.
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Joanna Rae Tan 4152095577x
- Entertainment: Bay Area Hottest DJs spinning Top 40s, RnB, Mash-ups, Pop and House on Fridays 9:30PM-1:30AM. DJ Nicolo spinning 80's Hits on Saturdays 9:30PM-1:30AM.
- Special Events: Straits Restaurant is available for all your special event and off-site catering needs. Whether it's a business lunch, cocktail reception or full seated dinner, Straits can help create a fantastic and memorable event. Please call for more information.
A word from Straits Restaurant - Burlingame
Singapore for almost 200 years has been at the crossroads of Southeast Asia, where many cultures and nationalities live, work and more importantly, eat together. Singapore's cuisines logically reflect this cultural diversity. The four major culinary cultures -- Malaysian/Indonesian, Chinese, Indian and Nonya -- are in fact a blend of each other, creating a new cuisine that is unique and more complex in flavors and fragrances. Straits offers a menu that features the complexity of all these Singaporean cuisines in chef Chris Yeo's unique interpretation. This Asian-Zen inspired Burlingame location opened in August of 2004.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
Straits Restaurant - Burlingame - Best Restaurants in Burlingame ›
Straits Restaurant - Burlingame reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (19)neighborhood gem (12)great for lunch (12)fit for foodies (12)special occasion (10)vibrant bar scene (10)romantic (7)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (4)notable wine list (4)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/5/2014We've dined at Straits many times but had not been there in awhile. The menu was the same so we were still able to order our favorites when our server finally appeared. The tuna tower didn't have much flavor. The calamari was not crispy enough, slightly oily. The ribs were very good. Although the tables weren't filled, it was noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StraitsPGW1961VIPDined on 8/23/2014Food very good Do not like the fact that main course arrives as you are still eating your appetizer. Not the most comfortable of places but food is good.Special Features:
- The waitress was checked outAntarDined on 8/21/2014Took 10 minutes after being seated to be acknowledged by a waitress that wasn't even responsible for our table. She took our order and let the manager know. Manager comped the appetizers and apologized. However he never rectified the issue with our waitress. She never came to refill our drinks and gave us the bill without even asking us if we wanted dessert.
- Loved our dinner and wine!birchlesDined on 8/9/2014My friend and I stopped here en route to a late night SFO trip. We arrived early and were easily accommodated. Service was excellent and we both ordered a glass of wine we had never tried based on the recommendation of our server. They had many GF (gluten free) options, which I appreciate. We both loved our steak and watermelon salads.this restaurant has many seating options for different size groups. Will definitely stop by again when I'm on the peninsula. Need to return to the Straits in Santana Row as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014they put no show for me even though my friend and I did show up for our reservation. The food was okay - great service though! I hear this place is awesome at night for bar hopping though.Special Features:
- Santana Row vs BurlingameSaddinerDined on 7/26/2014I had an impressive experiences with Straits in Santana Row and that was why I wanted to give it a try with Straits in Burlingame for my wedding anniversary. As a result, I found a great discrepancy in terms of food. 1. Roti Prata: the flatbread were way too crunchy and unbreakable (I am serious!) so we needed to ask them to bring us another plate. 2. Garlic noodle: it was way too spicy with the raw garlic and the bean sprout. We could only finished half. 3. Seafood Risotto: the texture of the risotto was good but it was a bit salty. The risotto stuck inside the shellfish which made it hard to eat. Again, we could only finish half of the plate too.:-( I wish the food can be as tasty as and as impressive as the one in Santana Row.Special Features:
- StraitUpGreatExperience!StraitUpTheBestDined on 7/25/2014I went here on a first date. Sat at the Bar before getting our table. Staff let me push out my reservation so I could sit up there for a drink or two before eating. Bar tenders were awesome, both the guys were friendly and, although busy, able to make little jokes here and there with us and were extremely personable which helped me break the ice with my guest. Drinks and food were good, and the service was even better. We really enjoyed our experience here and will definitely be coming back soon. (and will reserve our table on opentable, of course!) Thanks!Special Features:
- Food was bland..CristinaVIPDined on 7/23/2014This used to be a lot better. Haven't been back in 2 years and was quite disappointed. Food was bland, noise level makes it difficult to carry a conversation.
- Great food on a noisy nightVerilPVIPDined on 7/11/2014On a recent Friday evening, my date and I had several great small plates and a wonderful pinot noir to go with them. The restaurant was not crowded with diners, but the bar was quite crowded and noisy. We were able to talk over a high noise level, but it certainly was not romantic dining.Special Features:
- Not the best visitFoodieGirlVIPDined on 6/20/2014I'm a huge fan of straits especially the location in Santana row.. However this visit in Burlingame wads not up to par.. Food wasn't good.. Way overly spiced and not warm.. Sangria was terrible.. I don't think we will return to this location..Special Features:
- Nice but...OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/16/2014This was not the 1st time we went there and service was not as usual: very abrupt waiter and mainly one of the main dishes arrived 10 minutes after the others and of course the 3 others could not/should not have waited... Finishing their meals 10 minutes before the 4th one. As in any "no education" restaurant, so common here, 3 empty plates were removed and one person left to finish dinner under the scrutiny of the table...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good placeFoodtips4uDined on 6/10/2014Perfect to meet someone on the Peninsula...easy access to 101...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first-time experienceTravellingDinestarsDined on 6/8/2014We booked the restaurant based solely on the style of food and menu. Almost changed our minds because of a review comment about it being "a trendy nightspot" but really glad we didn't. Excellent representation of Singaporean fusion cuisine, and the PEI mussels were a fantastic touch. Good wine selection, lots to eat and drink for everyone. Even our young daughter enjoyed it, and there was no hint of a karaoke session about to break out.Special Features:
- MichelinStarHunterVIPDined on 5/29/2014I love Straits, but the spareribs were off its game tonight: sauce was not exactly the same, bit burnt or it's been sitting for a long time. Other than that, everything else was good. This was late around 9:30 PM, so maybe the food quality goes down a half notch late night.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DecliningOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/29/2014Used to be a great spot. The waiter had such a poor attitude and it was apparent from the minute we sat down. He was slow to appear, rude and not helpful. But my food was worse. I felt like having a Gordon Ramsey fit- how do you mess up a chicken breast? It was so dry and over cooked and slopped with a thick nasty sauce. The waiter asked "what do you want me to do?" Shouldn't he know how to satisfy a customer?Special Features:
- The following 485 reviews are from the Straits Restaurant - Burlingame reviews archive.
- Great foodfredarepVIPDined on 5/12/2014They've stepped up from the usual Thai fare to some very interesting dishes. The service was very accommodating although it's pretty loud & the waiter could barely hear us. All the food came in a timely manner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food overshadowed/poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/11/2014The food is innovative and the menu is diverse. My four year old inhaled the sweet and mild short ribs; the roti was fried to perfection; the scallops were tender and artfully plated. All of this was overshadowed by a seemingly polite but poorly managed staff. In the menu it is not clearly stated which items come with some type of side dish. Our waitress did not recommend rice or vegetablees for my mother whose meal was comprised of 4 scallops only ($16 entree). Once we ordered, the food came out one dish at a time for 30 minutes. My son did not receive his meal until my husband was nearly finished with his. Also, the incorrect salad was brought to my niece and her chicken skewers did not appear until our meal was complete. Dissapointing.Special Features:
- Great experienceVerilPVIPDined on 4/20/2014I made reservations for ten of our family for Easter Sunday. The table was ready for us upon arrival. We asked for a high chair but had to ask a second time, which is the reason for four stars on service instead of five. The drink and food service were outstanding, including bringing fruit and fries early for the two children. We ordered family style and enjoyed the food and the couteous and prompt service very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as I remembered.EmmaMcCullochVIPDined on 4/12/2014I used to love the variety of this place. I used to like it as it was an adult focused place that would be good for date-night. I was disappointed once I sat down to see the place half full of people with kids at 7:30 p.m. The food was okay, but the Tuna Tower just didn't taste amazing, the corn frittas were a little too fried and the Roti Prata was not as fresh as I remembered. My husband's entree came a long time before my duck sliders and as it turned out, it had actually been meant for the table next door, so they, like us, got one entree way before another. So one service mix up led to two unhappy tables. It was okay, but the food and alcohol prices are not the cheapest and it made me think twice about going there again.
- Good food but not good serviceSukiDined on 4/11/2014I had dined here before and had good memories but was dissapointed. Food was not as good as the last time. Restaurant was very loud, we could not have a conversation across a four person table without almost shouting at each. Waiters kept coming to our table clearing plates even when we were not finished. Even the manager came to our table and rather then kindly asking us to leave and make room for the next reservation he was so unskilled that we felt almost shamed that we were there. I understand that they want to have another shift of guests after us but to be hurrying us out the door was really bad. I don't think I will be back or recommend this restaurant anymore. Not a real dining experience anymore.
- Prior experience much betterLnK3rdDined on 3/26/2014I've dined at Straits in the past and loved it, but this time - a birthday dinner for a friend - the experience was a big disappointment. Of the dishes we ordered, only one was tasty. We were even disappointed with the dessert. The place was so loud this time that it made for a negative experience. Our server was particularly bad: surly and unattentive. Thumbs down.Special Features:
- Poor serviceLouisDined on 3/12/2014This was a pot experience on all levels. Service was spotty and we sat on the patio and the music was way to loud. The appetizers were prepared terrible and the three main courses we shared all came at different times.
- Very good lunch spot. I hadIsabel415VIPDined on 3/11/2014Very good lunch spot. I had a wonderful seated tuna salad. Everyone enjoyed their meal.Special Features:
- great food but too noisy to enjoygalsDined on 2/22/2014The moment we walked into Straits are ears got a blast of electronic techno music. If this was a club or just a bar - I could understand the music choice and the volume. We had to shout to the hostess just to have her hear our reservation name. We got seated at a table that was a bit quieter but still too loud for normal conversation. And again, the choice of music was just way off for the style and theme of the restaurant. Drinks were ordered from the bar. 3 came and the 4th one came about 5-7 minutes later.Small plates and dinner was delicious - everything! It's just too loud and a bad choice of music.
- FunfrequentdinerouterVIPDined on 2/21/2014Great for fun and socializing (with good hearing), drinks are good but food only fair.Special Features:
- Noisy and LoudsmartDined on 2/8/2014This was the noisiest place I've been to. We can't even talk to each other without yelling or screaming across the table, even then we couldn't hear each other. People around were talking so loud. Our group gave up talking and just ate our dinner. The only time we were able to converse a little was when people started leaving later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went their with my parents.CourtyDined on 2/8/2014Went their with my parents. The wait staff was so good with them! My parents wanted the most "current" drinks and food and the wait staff delivered! Highly enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food but too much noiseFrenchIsaDined on 2/7/2014The food is amazing (black pepper crab, whole crispy sea bass, and chicken rice are a MUST). Unfortunately the music is way too loud. It is like eating in a discotheque and it makes it impossible to have a decent discussion.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/7/2014Loved it and enjoyed the food drinks everything was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchfoodismeDined on 1/26/2014We went there for my daughter's 31st Birthday. The brunch menu was excellent, especially the skirt steak and eggs and crab cakes benedict. The bartender modified the bottomless mimosas and substituted a splash of pomengranate for the orange juice. I don't live in the area so I won't have as much opportunity for returning, buy my daughter and son in law are definitely returning to sample the dinner menu which as my daughter put it "has all my favorite foods." Our wait person was great; she took the time to explain the top dishes on the menu and was very attentive.Special Features:
- Yummy but loudDubsDined on 1/21/2014Acoustics are not very good in the building unfortunately, so we had to move. The food was great though! We had the spring rolls, hainan chicken, pad thai, and ikan pangang. Would recommend!I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have been to Straits inCPAFoodieVIPDined on 12/21/2013I have been to Straits in SF and have not been very adverturesome - but I went to the Burlingame location with friends who are very adverturesome - so I had some dishes that were very tasty - The Indian Street Noodles were outstanding. The Banana Blossum Salad - was OK but not to my liking - though my friends really liked it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service?DiningOutVIPDined on 12/11/2013The server didn't give us any time to review the menu or catch-up; she seemed like she was rushing us at 5:30pm to turn over her table; once we did order, she forgot to put in the appetizer order. The entrees are sharable, but even if you dont want to eat "family style" you would need to order at least an app/salad and and entree, they were very small. Would definitely try other restaurants in the area.Special Features:
- Lacking...GraceDined on 12/8/2013Service was lacking. We waited a long time for our garlic noodles to come out, it came out when we were almost done with our other two entrees. There was no reason or discount given when we inquired about our garlic noodles several times, just that it was coming. We saw our waiter carrying a bowl of garlic noodles earlier around us but he returned it to the kitchen, I think they made it incorrectly. But then he should come back and tell us and apologize but that it was going to be a longer wait for it or offer to take it off our bill. C'mon guys it's not rocket science, but waiting an obscene amount of time for garlic noodles when we're done with our other entrees isn't so good.Special Features:
- Terrific!jjohnDined on 11/22/2013Food was excellent, but what will keep me coming back just as much was the excellent service, from the hosts to the wait staff, everyone was perfect. Many thanks.Special Features:
- Too loud, cold as they lefttheresaVIPDined on 11/19/2013Too loud, cold as they left the door open, seated with a reservation at a table too small for 5 of us. It was not a 6 place table they crowded us into a 4 place with bench seating on one side. Fine if we had a child but we had five adults. Food was fine but for the price there are more interesting places in Burlingame to eat
- Favorite in Bay AreaOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/17/2013One of our favorite restaurant in the Bay Area. We feel this is the best of the Straits locationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be back!LindyVIPDined on 11/15/2013I've eaten at Straits in Santana Row numerous times and have always loved it. This Burlingame location is much closer to home, so I brought my husband to try it. We both loved it - all the food is amazing. I've never had a bad dish. They blend so many different tastes and spices, and it all works!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise level was deafeningSkirsVIPDined on 11/15/2013Granted, it was Friday night - but seriously you couldn't hear yourself think, never mind converse. There was a table of gals out for the tonight and no one begrudges them a good time, but must you scream at the top of your lungs and laugh like hyenas that have never been out in public before in your lives? Look around, there are other people trying to have dinner because we're in a restaurant! Our food was very good - great flavors. The julienne-sliced apple, carrot, and jicama salad with the lemongrass and mint dressing was out of this world! The bouillabasse broth was lovely but not enough seafood. Wouldn't return to this particular location of Strait's unless I was wearing my Bose noise-cancelling headphones.
- Authentic Singaporian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/29/2013Outstanding food, fresh flavors, perfect portions, accommodating service. Will absolutely make the 1.5 hour drive to enjoy the butter chicken with coconut rice again asap. Enjoyed my early evening dinner with a friend who lived in Singapore for several years and she was completely impressed with the authenticity of the menu, flavors, technique, and innovation. Absolutely delightful meal!Special Features: