Straits of Malacca
202 W. Main Street
Mason, OH 45040Neighborhood:
MalaysianPrice: $31 to $50
Straits of Malacca
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.straitsmalacca.com/
- Phone: (513) 492-7656
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 3:00pm -10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 3:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Malaysian, Vegetarian / Vegan, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Paul Liew
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have discovered that people are interested in serving authentic and gourmet Malaysian food at their special events everything from birthday parties on our patio to private chef cooking in your kitchen. Straits of Malacca provides a complete and customizable set of services to fit your event. Contact Alvin Liew at the restaurant to discuss your event.
- Private Party Facilities: Straits of Malacca provides a unique atmosphere for private and corporate dining events.
We are a 3-in-1 concept in a historic building. Depending on your event needs, you can choose the cozy Tioman cafe with dark wood panels and ceiling fans or the Grand fine dining room of Langkawi Spice with chandeliers and formal table settings. Blue Intan is a favorite spot to relax, and meet Bar Manager Todd, known for making the Best cocktails in town!
Plan intimate gatherings, such as birthday parties or dinner for the whole family, to power lunches or department outings. Our full service bar can be your spot for Happy Hours with out-of-town guests or colleagues. Make your event one of a kind with Malaysian style and extraordinary dishes created by Chef Paul.
- Private Party Contact: Alvin Liew 5134927656x
- Entertainment: Enjoy live music featuring Triology Jazz Band every other Saturday night (schedule online).
A word from Straits of Malacca
Check out the Tri-state's only Malaysian restaurant! Chef Paul Liew and his brother Alvin Liew bring the intriguing food of Malaysia in three distinct settings within the historical Art Deco building in Mason. An extensive list of Malaysian tapas and appetizers accompany unique cocktails and an exclusive wine list. Chef Paul is renowned for his artful and complex dishes inspired by Malaysian ingredients and flavors. Specialties include Nasi Goreng Kampung, Chef Paul's Roast Duck, vegan plates, and house-made tofu. His seasonal menu uses available produce from nearby farms. Dinner choices range from Malaysian haute cuisine like Sarawak Black Pepper crusted filet mignon served with duck fat french fries to traditional family style dining such as lamb curry and roti canai. Enjoy live music featuring Triology Jazz Band every other Saturday night (schedule online).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Straits of Malacca reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (11)neighborhood gem (8)good for groups (4)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (3)special occasion (2)romantic (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Dinner with childrenMagiaDined on 11/15/2014They went out of their way to accomodate my granddaughters. 5 and 1. Everyone had a great meal and great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food alone was good.MAWJVIPDined on 10/4/2014We decided to try Straits of Malacca because we were going to be in the area. Although the waiter, etc. was friendly, the service was very slow, and I'm usually pretty patient with that. The restaurant wasn't very busy, so service should have been much more prompt. Drink pours were small. Atmosphere was not good - I think it's an old school, and I felt a bit like I was eating in a cafeteria. In spite of all of that, the food was very good! So, if you don't mind the things I mentioned, and are looking for some pretty good food, this may be your place.
- RitaVIPDined on 9/27/2014We had a wonderful dinner! The menu is quite different. Everything we picked turned out to be perfect tasty and present beautifully. The chef even added a complementary course. We were a party of six and the server was really helpful and attentive. The restaurant wasn't busy so the chefs came out to our table and introduced themselves. You could tell they enjoyed their work and are really proud of their restaurant. We had been to Straits of Malacca two weeks prior and couldn't wait to go back and try something new. We weren't disappointed. The lamb chops entree was really tasty, and the accompaniments really added to the dish. We will definitely go back again.Special Features:
- RarelyreviewDined on 9/20/2014Enjoyed an excellent meal at Straits of Malacca. Food was flavorful with thoughtful presentation. Waitress helpful with menu. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RitaVIPDined on 9/13/2014We had a wonderful meal at this restaurant. The menu is different than what we usually see locally. We found everything we ordered to be fresh, delicious, and well presented. We will definitely go back and try other items.Special Features:
- Great food poor servicesteveDined on 8/30/2014Visited at last minute on Friday night. Restaurant was not extremely crowded, but service was slow. Server was apologetic. food was excellent. Vibrant flavors. Unique combinations. Worth trying just be prepared for slow service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fusion of FlavorsCareerSageVIPDined on 8/27/2014You must study the menu before you go to Straits of Malacca to imagine the unusual flavor combinations. What a fantastic fusion of tastes. There are light or half orders that are really full portions, but share with the table. Some Malaysian street food reminiscent of the adjoining counter restaurant with street food only. The bartender prides himself on the unusual -- and beautiful -- combinations of liquors and fresh ingredients. By all means, I will return.Special Features:
- What a gem!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Food - fantastic! Service - very personal! We were on a business dinner and we are not the easiest bunch to please......exceeded our expectations! Don't believe us.....try for yourself! You deserve this experience!Special Features:
- Perfect ChangeASkmeIlltellyouDined on 8/20/2014My wife and I, because of two little ones and not many relatives around to baby sit, don't get as many opportunities as we would like to get away. Last week we got that chance and decided to check out something new and untried. We were very happy we did. The food was delicious and the atmosphere was very relaxing. We thought the portions were very adequate. The tab was no more than we would spend at a nicer chain restaurant and we enjoy helping to support the small business effort. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Excellent FoodjfinetDined on 8/19/2014I had the roti, mango salad and mee siam. Everything was really delicious. Service was very attentive. Will definitely be going back. Shocked this place exists in the suburbs. It far outshines its Thai and Chinese counterparts in the areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 14 reviews are from the Straits of Malacca reviews archive.
- very tasty malaysian foodrapport711Dined on 7/12/2014i had heard about this restaurant from friends and they have been raving about it. i went with my family and we were celebrating my birthday. the food is really delicious, very tasty food. if you like spicy food (which i do), this is the place for you. the sauces were very aromatic. the chef's twin brother (also one of the owners), alvin, came out to talk to us and spent a good deal of time talking to us and asking if we enjoyed the food. we said we'd be back again very soon !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlvinOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/17/2014This was our first time here. The menu has choices for vegetarians and carnivores. The wine selection was good affordable. We liked the Popiah spring roll appetizers. Many of the entree selections were available in half and whole sizes portions. The striped bass half serving was served with mango/pineapple chutney that had the right amount of heat to offset the sweetness. The scallops were done just right as were the chicken satay pieces. The Vegan Sachet entree was to die for and would please any vegetarian. Everything was prepared from fresh ingredients; the flavors were exquisite. Alvin, the owner, stopped by our table and was generous with his time and answered our questions about the food that we ate.Special Features:
- Extremely Small PortionsfoodloverDined on 6/5/2014The food at Straights of Malacca was exceptionally tasty but over priced per portion. They serve a wide variety of food and offer tapas and "light" size portions too. Our party of 3 ordered 4 appetizers to share and we each selected a different entree. I ordered the "light" scallop and received 1 SMALL SCALLOP and some rice as my entree! My husband ordered the regular portion lamb chops and he too received a smaller portion than expected. The prices of the entrees didn't reflect the small portions either! We left the Straits of Malacca hungry and disappointed at the value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014Love the food and atmosphere! My husband and I go frequently and I love taking my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewRandomDined on 5/10/2014Dining at restaurant for the first time. The food was good but the presentation of the main dish was lacking. We felt rushed by the waitress, who was very nice, but kept coming to the table trying to hurry up out order. The restaurant did not have very any other diners and we were there on a sat night at 7:30. The atmosphere was a little uncomfortable. Only two people in the bar as well. Overall the food was good especially the appetizers that we had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Great/Service PoorTomWDined on 5/10/2014This was the first time I'd visited the Straits, the Saturday before Mother's Day. They were not crowded. The food was very very good. It was fresh and presented very well. The service, though was lackluster. After being seated promptly, we waited for 10 to 15 minutes for our server to stop by and take drink orders. The drinks then took another 10 to 15 minutes. The food took 25 minutes to arrive and then it was brought out 1 meal at a time, with about 5 minutes between. The second glass of wine we ordered finally arrived after we'd finished the meal. Worst of all, the server either didn't know how poorly she was doing,or didn't care. I'd love to go back - the food was fantastic, but would like to see substantially better service.Special Features:
- A taste of excellence from MalaysiaWorldtraveler87Dined on 5/3/2014I went with a Malay and we both were a bit skeptical about the location and how authentic it would be. My friend was blown away by the authenticity of the food. The food was the closest thing he's had since being in the states. He gave it a 5 star approval. Myself as an American, enjoyed it much more than I expected. Staff was friendly and personal, atmosphere was very personal and the food amazing! The food was hot fresh and had a touch of personality from the chef. Truly one of the top restaurants in Ohio. Highly recommend for dinner, even if it's not in immediate area. We drove from Columbus/Dayton and we are planning on going back to try the lunch menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the tripNYWinOhioDined on 5/3/2014We dined with friends and celebrated my wife's birthday. We now live 60+ miles away. But it was definitely worth the trip back. The bar tender delivered my whiskey sour himself. He chatted with us about how he has gone back to pre- and post-prohibition style drinks. It was really interesting. and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and AmbienceNKA1Dined on 5/2/2014We went for my wife's birthday along with my little toddler daughter. The ambiance was great and the place was not really crowded for a Friday Night. The food was absolutely delicious especially the appetizers - vadai, samosas and latke were great. The entrees were also very good, make sure to get roti canai as sides. Would definitely be going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st time there, I will be backcincybirderVIPDined on 4/19/2014The building is non-descript on the outside, looks like an old municipal building or something. Inside is interesting. I had the mango salad to start and it was A-MAZ-ING, I would definitely order it again. Then I had the chicken stuffed w/ mushrooms, our server said this was a traditional Malaysian dish, this was also a fantastic dish. I got the creme brulee for dessert, the flavor that day was lychee. I was very disappointed with the dessert. I don't think it was baked in a water bath, the texture was not custard like at all and there was no lychee flavor. Someone else at the table ordered the same thing and felt the same way as I did. If I got dessert next time, I'd get one of the Malaysian ones.Special Features:
- Had to wait over an hour for foodeatsoutDined on 4/12/2014We had 7:30 PM reservations for 4 people but we didn't get our meal served until after 9 PM. We ordered a cocktail then got our food order in in a reasonable amount of time. It was quite awhile afterwards that my husband salad came. We noticed that several tables that had come in after us were getting their meals served including a large table of about 8. We finally got our waitresses attention and she said our meals were coming next. It was still 5-10 minutes later that our meals came out. There was no explanation as to why it took so long. The food was very good but there was no apology for the meals taking over an hour to be prepared. The band that was playing in the bar was loud and it took away from the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Straits of MalaccaRooneyDined on 3/28/2014We really enjoyed our dinner. Tried lots of different dishes. Loved their bread (ryoti?) it was wonderful and served with a lentil spread-yum! Calamari was good too and the winter scallops. The bartender does a lot of infused liqours- we tried the brown butter bourbon- fabulous! Service was great and our waiter was extremely helpful since it was our first time. We will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- would try againcgeraciDined on 3/28/2014This was our first time here and the food was very tasty. I ordered the light lamb chops and it was excellent and the perfect size. My husband had the scallops and enjoyed those.Special Features:
- Very Pleasant SurpriseChiVisitorVIPDined on 3/15/2014We did not know what to expect, since this restaurant serves Malaysian food. It was similar to Thai food. We had summer rolls, a noodle dish and a scallop dish. All of them were delicious. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.