Stout Barrel House and Galley
642 N Clark Street
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Stout Barrel House and Galley
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.stoutchicago.com/
- Phone: 3124751390
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
A word from Stout Barrel House and Galley
The newest project from the LGN Group!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Stout Barrel House and Galley reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (12)good for groups (9)neighborhood gem (6)hot spot (5)late-night find (4)great for lunch (2)fit for foodies (1)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- game day good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/12/2014Came during a bears game. Made reservation via open table for 7pm. Arrived during the game an hour early, knowing they would be busy. They were able to seat us early. Great beer, the couscous salmon was also delicious. Music post game was a little loud, but it's a bar so as expected it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/28/2014Ive made open table reservations at this establishment on "game days" numerous times over the last year. Sunday, when I checked in for my reservation, I was told they dont "take game day reservations" and they have "told open table this numerous times" and they had no table and nothing they could do for my party. After this was argued a bit, the man said that he would give us "the next table that opened"..we waited about 15 min and decided to go somewhere else. I have always liked Stout and have made reservations there during Bears games, Blackhawk playoff games...and never had a problem. I was surprised by what happened Sunday. Thx
- Very GoodzippyVIPDined on 7/3/2014Very tasty fried chicken sandwich. Service was good and enjoyed sitting in the open window watching the long line of cars waiting to get into Perillo's. This is a nice place for a casual day/night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 65 reviews are from the Stout Barrel House and Galley reviews archive.
- World Cup ReservationDinerGVIPDined on 6/26/2014Be careful when making reservations during World Cup games. They may not want to honor them at the door. A little persistence helps!
- chicagofoodguy1VIPDined on 6/14/2014Great service and great food. Can't beat that. We had some good apps and dinner as well, and we'd go back in a heart beat. Watched the World Cup here as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good sports bar with good foodIlliniBadger84Dined on 5/25/2014We were looking for a spot last minute to get a bit to eat that relatively casual but had good food. We found a great spot here. The beer flights were good as was the Moscow Mule. Food portions were very generous and very tasty. It was like many other Chicago places in that it had the upscale sports bar/restaurant vibe. The bar area was very busy and some good music in the background. The only complaint was that it was just a little too dark inside. We had a bit of trouble reading the menu without the use of lights on our phones. My sister just moved into the area so we will for sure be back.Special Features:
- YumChicagogalDined on 5/24/2014Stout has the best burger sliders. I don't know what magic they put in them! Also, they honored our reservations on a really busy night. Thanks Stout!! They also have a great Bloody Mary bar on Sunday! I like this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looking forward to returningMarcoloco13Dined on 5/16/2014Great food and drinks. Service was a little sluggish, but think they might have been understaffed that morning. Would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Hawks GameDineInDineOutDined on 4/27/2014This was a perfect place for the Hawks win! Place was jumping - surprisingly, we were able to book a table that morning and the table area up front near the windows wasn't too crowded. Just perfect.Special Features:
- Great food and DrinksjoeeDined on 4/27/2014Great food, awesome beer selection. Great cocktails. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Worst service in the ChicagoFoodie17VIPDined on 4/20/2014Our server was rude, the food took almost an hour and the restaurant was empty. Do not waste your time or money at this horrible restaurant
- Love this place!BrianamalDined on 4/18/2014This place is always great, with a great menu. If you go at night on a Friday or Saturday, keep in mind it will be very packed and very loud, but nonetheless fun. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun barJewelsDined on 4/17/2014The bar is a really fun time, I don't think I would recommend their food. At least not the cesear saladSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect choice for a spring day.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/11/2014Food was delicious with plenty of unique as well as common beers. Big and airy but intimate enough for easy conversation. Meatloaf and spare rib plates were excellent.Special Features:
- StuffedErinBDined on 3/29/2014Had a great brunch with friends at stout. First time there for my friends and they loved all the food we got. Never been so stuffed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservations Not HonoredNotAGoodVisitDined on 3/15/2014I showed up and apparently there was an event with a line. Despite my confirmed reservations, they were not seating or serving. I was treated very rudely by the person at the front door.
- We were allowed to book aOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/15/2014We were allowed to book a table on open table but they did not honor the reservation so we couldn't eat there. It was very frustrating.
- Reservation not honoredOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/15/2014I made a reservation through opentable for this past Saturday at 1pm and it was not honored. I was told the restaurant was at capacity and that it was opentables fault. Now, my party and I traveled to come to this restaurant and not only did we not get a table, we were not allowed entry because they were too full. Why were there reservations available if they were not going to honor them? I would have gone somewhere else or made different plans. This whole experience was very upsetting and I don't plan on using opentable or going to this restaurant again if they are not going to honor reservations. Was this truly opentable's fault or the restaurant?
- My go to game day spotErinBDined on 3/1/2014There's nothing I do not like about Stout! The food is always great, the service and staff are awesome, the TVs are perfect for game viewing, the music is energetic and the DJs are killing it, and the crowd is hot. Always a great time and never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good crowd and food, a little loudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/21/2014Only had the hummus which was huge a delicious and the turkey chili is something I would order and take home anytime.Special Features:
- Not badKathleenVIPDined on 1/12/2014Typical bar with big booths and an odd DJ in the corner spinning on a Sunday morning. Not bad, not dreaming about returning - delivers what it claims to but nothing to write home about.Special Features:
- Best bloody bar in the citystothevDined on 1/1/2014Shrimp, jerky, pickeled anything, and 3 different bloody mixes, everything you want in a bloody it's there! Then the red velvet waffles are heaven on a plate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but LOUDkorbeezieDined on 1/1/2014the food was great, and the bloody mary bar was great (this is why we went). i was pleasantly surprised to find it was really a WI Badger bar, as I'm an alum & the Capital One bowl game was on! Pure coincidence, too! Had i gone there with the intention of just watching the game, it would be 5 stars, but we tried to have brunch with my boyfriend's parents and we couldn't have a conversation - it was SOOO loud, really too loud between the volume of the game & the DJ that played during the commercials. Would have been great at 10-11pm, just not at noon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Dark and noisy.SandVIPDined on 12/22/2013So dark we couldn't read the menu. The menu is on brown paper and it was too dark to read. If they had out door space I would try it again in the summer. But no side walk seating in summer.
- You'll get a Migrane!LinaVIPDined on 12/15/2013The food is ok and the ambience is terrible. You won't be able to hear yourself talk because the speakers are too loud and we were sitting away from them. They're so loud that you're entire booth will be vibrating the entire time and you won't be able to hear yourself speak. In fact the staff will barely be able to hear your order because it's so loud, and they will refuse to turn down the music or tv's because that's what this place Stout is known for...The Energy. I will never ever go back this this place. My migrane lasted for 2 1/2 days, and not to mention my friends that came with me, they still have a headache and bad taste from Stout.
- Great FoodDavid60613Dined on 12/7/2013Food was fantastic! Waitress was very friendly. Loud DJ for only being 7PM. Tough to have a conversation during dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food & TapOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/23/2013If you're looking for a quiet evening, it's not a place I would recommend. However, the food and beer was quite good and on that premise, I would recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to watch sportsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/16/2013Food was awesome and there were lots of TV's to watch football.Special Features:
- Good food and serviceshelman88VIPDined on 10/11/2013Overall this restaurant is noting amazing but it is good solid food at a reasonable price for a downtown bar. Service was good and we had no complaints!Special Features:
- Business DinnerTimeZoneTravelerVIPDined on 10/8/2013I took a colleague there for dinner and drinks; however, the pizza was under cooked and the mussels were cold upon arrival. They did arrive very quickly, so they may have come from another diner's table. The beer selection is notable, so if going for drinks, I would recommend, but otherwise skip. The location cannot be beat.Special Features:
- An evening with friendsjimb0eatsDined on 9/7/2013This was our third time returning to Stout and first time sitting at a table. The primary server was ok and did the job she was hired for, but zero enthusiasm until it was time to deliver the bill. We are a group of generous tippers based on the relationship we build with our server and it just wasn't happening with her, so we ended up saving money that night. Our table attendant however was outstanding! He looked after us like we were the only table in the restaurant. His enthusiasm was the catalyst to a better experience.. As for the food it was presented timely, hot, and good tasting for the price points. Liquor prices are pretentious so it's not what we consider a "bring your friends for the evening bar" but we'll go back for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Below ExpectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/10/2013I have been to Stout a few times to join friends for drinks or to catch a game or so and that's where the good stops. Last night was my first time as a diner and it was mediocre at best.. My girlfriend and I split the cobb salad w/shrimp and I had the fried chicken. The cobb salad was dressed fine, had enough shrimp, but it lacked any other indredients. It only had romaine lettuce, shrimp, cheese, & cherry tomatoes. What happened to the other usual suspects like bacon and avocado or something else that would remind me of the original. When it came to my friend chicken, it was not crispy enough & a little greasy. The potato salad it came with was bland, while the watermelon salad was the best part but made the chicken soggy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservations? Awesome!crispie2VIPDined on 6/19/2013Not only does this place have delicious hot pretzels, but they take reservations during games-love that!! My only gripe was the grilled cheese. Sounded good on the menu, but too much bread in the execution (it's open faced, with a thick slice of bread reminiscent of pizza bread with no sauce). Despite that, a great option in the area for watching a game and hanging out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for watching a game!FitFoodieVIPDined on 6/1/2013Great for watching a game! Food was really good, too!Special Features:
- Great food; great serviceRPMancusoVIPDined on 5/22/2013Stout is an outstanding pub with a wide range of beers and food for all palates. The atmosphere is energetic, with great music and enthusiastic servers. Give it a try.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great bar menu, beer and cocktailDavebsVIPDined on 5/10/2013Great bar menu, beer and cocktail selectoion. Also, a fun and excellenmt atmosphere for watching a game with ample TVs and the sound cranlked up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Happy Hour spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/2/2013Went with a friend for happy hour, and we had the hummus plate (huge bowl of veggies) and it's so great for sharing! It's huge and reasonably priced! We also shared the animal fries which were outstanding! So good. Always love the Moscow Mule here too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Busy friday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/20/2013The food was great. Loved the short ribs and the extensive beer list was amazing. I wasn't a huge fan of the communal seating but that is just me.Special Features:
- I like this place for SundayOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/24/2013I like this place for Sunday afternoons to watch a game. Fun things on the menu like a "fried pickle salad" or "chicken skins". Good beer selection. A DJ during the day might be a tad much.Special Features:
- A new favorite placebam818VIPDined on 3/15/2013A new favorite place. The food was great. Awesome beer list and the service was top notch. This is definitely on the "will return" list. Loved it!!!!!Special Features: