Stony Run Inn & Grill
2409 Route 737
Kempton, PA 19529Neighborhood:
GermanPrice: $30 and under
Stony Run Inn & Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.stonyruninn.com/
- Phone: (610) 756-4433
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday & Sunday: 7:00am - 2:00pm
Tuesday - Sunday: 11:00am -10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: German, Austrian, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Lisa & Charles Fish
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: German and Barbecue Catering Available
- Entertainment: Live Music Friday & Saturday 5:30-8:30
A word from Stony Run Inn & Grill
At Stony Run Inn & Grill, We specialize in Authentic German/Austrian Cuisine . We also have a smoker that we smoke Pulled Pork, Ribs, Brisket, and Prime Rib. We have a Great atmosphere and Friendly Staff for a Great dining experience. We are Located in a historic building in the Center of Stony Run that was built in 1857.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Stony Run Inn & Grill - Best Restaurants in Fogelsville ›
Stony Run Inn & Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (16)fit for foodies (9)special occasion (7)good for groups (6)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)romantic (2)scenic view (2)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Just what we were hoping for!MsJaneDined on 11/9/2014Wonderfully authentic German food in a lovely rural setting that's easy to get to. Friendly staff, welcoming, homey atmosphere - but the food?! Wow. It's the kind of place I know I'll crave, and visit on a regular basis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014Outstanding authentic german food. For the price - the ambiance can certainly use an upgrade. Dimly lit with poor signage - we entered through the private residence. Waiter was fun and outgoing. We certainly will visit again for the cuisine.Special Features:
- Great German food!KevinDined on 11/1/2014Had our 33rd & 34th anniversary here. Great food! We were pleased with staff the food and the ambiance. You have a wonderful old charm and quaint style which we love!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good EssatomtinaDined on 10/18/2014The German portion of the menu was outstanding. Desert was excellent. Everyone was very genial and attentive. Will definitely go back again. The price was very affordable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looking Forward to Our Next VisitChuckG2Dined on 10/11/2014Only a few miles off of Interstate 78, what from the outside looks like a nice roadside tavern is actually a true country inn dining experience. A rustic bar setting gives way to a cozy dining room with a staff that combines small town friendliness with true culinary experience. The menu is a treasure trove of real German Cuisine, but there are also many traditional restaurant offerings for those who want to stick with something familiar. If I can offer advice from our own first visit: try one of the German Cuisine items. The menu provides great explanations of the dish and your server can answer any questions. Family owned - and worked - there is little doubt when one of the owners visits your table that they love cooking for you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodBevyDined on 10/11/2014Food is good. I had the sausage platter, my husband had the Beef Rouladen, which was excellent. Sausage came with brown gravy which I could have done without, so next time we go if I order sausage I will ask to skip the gravy. Gravy was good but not with sausage, German sausage needs good mustard in my book. We have been there 3 different occasions and food was good.
- German/Autrian Gem!KegobeerDined on 10/3/2014This was our second visit to Stony Run Inn & Grill & it did not disappoint! The authenticSpecial Features:
- Authentic German In the ValleyDieMannschaftDined on 8/21/2014Don't be fooled by the appearance of the building the food is legit. Had the Rahmschnitzel my first time there due to the shortage of delicious Saurerbraten and was not disappointed. The sauce for that dish is one of the best flavors I have ever tasted. Next time I will request my sides be drenched in that gravy. Good German beer on tap too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Machs Gut!PADutchGirlDined on 8/16/2014Love this place. From the German beers to the authentic German food....can't be beat. Always look forward to dining here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- QUITE A FIND!lineup71Dined on 8/16/2014I HAVE TO SAY, I AM SO GLAD MY FAMILY AND I FOUND THE STONY RUN INN & GRILL! NOT ONLY WAS THE ENTIRE STAFF FRIENDLY AND ACCOMMODATING, THEY MADE OUR DINING EXPERIENCE FUN AND EXTREMELY MEMORABLE! THE AUTHENTIC GERMAN/AUSTRIAN STYLE FOOD WAS EXPLAINED WELL AND BOY! DID THE CHEF EVER DELIVER! WHAT A TREAT! IN AN AREA THAT AT ONE TIME WAS A LARGE SETTLEMENT SPOT FOR GERMAN IMIGRANTS, THE MENU CHOICES AND AMBIANCE REALLY CAME THROUGH, WE COULD FEEL THE AUTHENTICISM AND TASTE THE PASSION FOR THE "OLD COUNTRY" IN EVERY DELICTABLE BITE! I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND TO ANYONE AND EVERYONE THAT IS LOOKING FOR AN OLD WORLD CHARM AND LOOKING TO BE TAKEN CARE OF BY A CHEF AND STAFF WHO REALLY CARE ABOUT THEIR GUESTS, TRY THIS PLACE! NOT HARD TO FIND!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceGreeneVIPDined on 8/15/2014It's been several years since we've been here. From the time we were greeted at the door until we left we everyone was pleasant. We had our 4 1/2 month old daughter with us and everyone was great with her. She was entertained by the live in house piano player. He came to our table and played a lullaby for her on his guitar. The service was great and very attentive. All around we had a lovely dinner and will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place!RegJohDined on 8/8/2014We eat here abouy every other month. Food is excellent! We ordered two apps..bacon wrapped scallops and crab stuffed mushrooms. Scallops and mushroom were fresh and tender. We shared the veal cordon with potato pancakes and red cabbage and Austrian cabbage. It reminded me of eating in Germany. Our waiter was very attentive and willing to offer drink suggestions. I really enjoyed our meal. I have never been disappointed with this restaurant. The change in ownership in the past year has breathed new life into this place. The new owners are wanting to please. On my way out they asked if there was anything that could be done to improve our enjoyment. My response was that you can't inprove perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A diamond off the beaten pathsidecarkingDined on 8/2/2014The Stony Run Inn is nestled in the middle of a small village of the same name deep within PA farm country. It was well worth the drive. Although it took a little while to be seated, we had arrived just 5 min early for our 6:30 reservation, we realized why the place was packed when the attentive wait staff began taking care of us, with a level of eclectic professionalism that Ive never had the pleasure to observe before. The German cuisine was fantastic. That was worth the visit alone, but we ended up staying after we finished our meals and talked at length with the servers and the owner/ chef Lisa Fish. Marvelous experience.Special Features:
- The following 58 reviews are from the Stony Run Inn & Grill reviews archive.
- Hidden Gem!ToddDined on 7/24/2014I have never been so pleasantly surprised! The location is a bit remote, out in the middle of farm country, but what an amazing choice! The appetizers were very generous. Our sampling was the bacon wrapped scallops and the crabmeat stuffed mushrooms. Very fresh and shareable sizes. The main courses were outstanding in flavor and size. Our group had a little of everything and everyone was thrilled with their choices. The service was above and beyond any we have encountered in recent memory. I would highly recommend it and we will be back, even if it is a 40 mile journey.Special Features:
- DisappointmentLisaAndAlDined on 7/5/2014Maybe it's German food in general (and, we're both German), but both of our entrees were bland and essentially tasteless. the prices would be considered on the high side in a large city, but out here in the boondocks, we thought they were extraordinarily high. Ambiance is totally missing--flies, noise and dilapidated decor. Service was the biggest disappointment--slow and unresponsive. Some of the staff had no clue on what it meant to treat people like guests and how to make things right, quickly!
- A M A Z I N GdinersfromDCDined on 6/28/2014Coming from Washington DC for a weekend activity, we wanted to find a restaurant that featured local flavor. The menu that featured German food was attractive. We pulled up to a building in a "one horse town" and questioned our decision. Then we saw an overflowing parking lot and wow, id there a reason why. The food was incredible, the service very personal and the chef/owner came out to the table twice during the meal to check on us along with attention from the wait staff. This is a little gem worth the drive from nearby Allentown...you won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- not too gooddave21Dined on 6/27/2014It didn't live up to my expectations, after reading the advertisements in the local newspaper I was expecting some good German Cuisine but I didn't find it there.
- Superb DiningMWSeemVIPDined on 6/27/2014Excellent food. Charming dining experience. The German entree's were prepared perfectly. The Jagerschnitzel was exquisite. One diner asked for Provolone instead of Swiss in the Veal Cordon Bleu, server immediately said yes, and it was prepared and served in peerfect fashion; with a full "chunk" of ham, incased in the veal/cheese.. instead of the usual sliced deli ham. The crab cakes were loaded with crab, and not filler, lightly broiled and served without adornment. No "tartar sauce" was served, but when asked if any was available, the server said no, but that the chef would make some, tartar sauce appeared at the table. An excellent apple struedel was had for dessertSpecial Features:
- Good FoodGManVIPDined on 6/25/2014This was our second visit and we brought some friends. Our server was friendly, cheerful, and helpful. We started with appetizers of escargots, muscles in white wine, and two crab cocktails. Our guests raved about theirs and we were just as pleased with ours. Our main courses were wiener schnitzel, jaeger schnitzel, and chicken paprikash. Our guests were very pleased with their schnitzels as was my wife with hers. However, I was a bit disappointed with my chicken paprikash. The chicken was grilled and dry, and the paprikash was too grainy and a bit off putting from too much paprika. For dessert we finished with the pashka, which was a bit too liquid, and a fantastic apple strudel. The owner visited our table several times and she's a gem.Special Features:
- Stony Run Inn & GrillOldOsloDined on 6/21/2014The Stony Run Inn & Grill offered an enjoyable evening but when the dining room filled the noise levels rose. Could have used golf volunteers with Quiet signs. Aside from that the food and service were very good and the ambience would have been better with a few less tables. The piano man, while quite talented overwhelmed the small venue. Low volume theme music might be more appropriate. All considered a good spot and I will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/8/2014First time I tried this place, but the food was all fantastic. My friend and I got the Escargot and Mussels for appetizer and then the duck and Sauerbraten for dinner. All was excellent. The chef came out at the end and even asked if there was anything we thought could be improved, but we could find anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014came back with another couple who really enjoyed their meal. The gentleman orderded wienerschnitzel and said it was the best he had had. The meat was very tender. Two of us had the chicken paprikash which was great, the sauce was very good and my husband had the goulash which was also very good. There was also a piano player who we enjoyed listening to. We however were all too full for dessert. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/28/2014we really enjoyed the evening. Food was delicious . Service was great Our waitress was very friendly, and knew the menu well and was very professional. Nice selection of wines. The only thing missing was the apple strudel. They did not have any that night. The new owners had done a very nice job of decorating. We had been there several times before the new owners took over.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dutch6770merrimanDined on 5/23/2014Our waitress was very nice and helpful. Large menu covering, fowl, beef, pork and fish. They have a smoker and their ribs and brisket are out of this world. The menu has many Pennsylvania Dutch entrees and side on it. Keep in mind those entrees will be fried. We had been to the restaurant when it was the previous owner had the place. It's an old building and current owners have painted it and added black table cloths with maroon napkins.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodCloudyDined on 5/21/2014We have eaten here several times and the food is consistently good! Make sure to leave room for dessert! The first time we ate at Stoney Run our waitress, Lisa, was wonderful. Little did we know at that time she was studying under the chef/owner to become the new chef/owner! Although we miss her as our waitress, she makes a point of coming out to each table to say hello and ask if there is anything that can be done to make it better. Quite impressive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodmimiDined on 5/17/2014Our first time a the Stony Run. The food was wonderful - just what we ordered. Service was great.Special Features:
- Longed for German foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014Since we lost our beloved Alpenhof in Reading, I needed some good german fare. It was found here. Well worth the drive. I am glad that the owners are keeping the traditional fare going. It should not be lost.Special Features:
- Great German food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014We came to Stony Run Inn specifically for the German food and we were not disappointed! The restaurant was clean, the atmosphere was great, and we even got to enjoy live piano music while we dined. Would definitely recommend to our friends.Special Features:
- OutstandingsteveVIPDined on 4/26/2014I tried this place with a group of friends I regularly dine out with and all of us were very happy with our meals. The German food was delicious and authentic, and they also had a smoker going the day we were there. They put together a sampler of the smoked meats as an appetizer for the table and we all got to try some. I would definitely return here.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could use a little help...BillnBarbieDined on 4/13/2014This place could use a little help. The food was just ok and the inside it self could use some decorating, it was very plain jane. The staff was very nice and fast, but interrupted us to many times while we where eating. I would go back if things changed a bit...Special Features:
- FantasticEricDined on 4/2/2014This restaurant was fantastic and it has to have some of the best German food state side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner piano music was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/14/2014Dinner piano music was very relaxing. Food is very authentic to the German cuisine.Special Features:
- Great place!RichardDined on 3/8/2014Food, service and atmosphere were wonderful. Different than prior ownership. Great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findTreepeopleDined on 3/1/2014Wonderful place for any night out that you want something special. Fri and Sat nights have a piano player. Food was excellent and servings are not so large that you have to pass on the dessert, which by the way was excellent.Special Features:
- YumOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/28/2014The food is wonderful - austrian/german menu items which are spot on!!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very impressed that ownerOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/21/2014Very impressed that owner came by and said hello and asked how our meal was. The dessert was homemade apple streudle and terrific!!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!SusieqDined on 2/21/2014We've been there three times in as many months. Each time, the food was excellent. The third time we had to wait a bit, even with reservations, but that was only a testament to how popular and busy they are. The staff is courteous, and the owner/chef has come out each time we were there to check in with diners.Special Features:
- Stony Run good for a change updglovescgDined on 2/14/2014My lovely wife loves wiener schnitzel. She is a German born sweetie. Food is consistently good. My oldest son loves the chicken paprikash. I always get a filet. Wait staff in general still needs a little work. Best way to sum it up is they are generally not to mindful with guests. The one waiter we had a few times, I don't know his name was always excellent. They were all working hard but mannerisms should still matter. Overall I still like going there and will again in the future. My family regularly spends weekends at Pamela's Forget Me Not. We have dinner at Stony Run and then spend the night at Pamela's and have breakfast served to us in the Carriage House. In closing I would like to say thank you to Lisa and hopefully see you soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time there Food wasBillDined on 2/14/2014First time there Food was very good service was fine will surely return.Special Features:
- 1st time's a charmGManVIPDined on 2/14/2014We ate here for Valentine's Day and we were very pleased. It was our first visit after reading an article in the paper about it. Our waiter Robert was excellent. He was helpful w/the menu and the specials. We had rack of lamb which had eight chops w/garlic mashed potatoes and jaegerschnitzel w/potato pancake and applesauce. Both were excellent. They serve German bier along w/wines to suit your dinner selection. We had the apple strudel and paschka for desert. Both were light and delicious. The owner/chef visited the tables to inquire about the meals and asked if there was anything she could do to improve them, A nice touch. There's also a pianist to enhance the dining experience. We highly recommend dining here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.