Stone's Public House
179 Main Street
Ashland, MA 01721Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
Stone's Public House
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.stonespublichouse.com/
- Phone: 5088811778
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 3:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub, Irish
- Executive Chef: Gregg Bergeron
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: Come in and enjoy the Sunday night Blues Jam with Pete Henderson every Sunday at 8PM. Test your knowledge of everything Trivia with "Whatta Ya Know Trivia" every Tuesday starting at 7:30. Thursday nights at Stone's features a number of local artists from acoustic to four piece ensembles. Music starts at 8:30.
- Cross Street: Homer Ave/Summer Street
- Public Transit: We are approximately a mile and a quarter from the Ashland MBTA Commuter rail stop.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: We have our own private lot in the rear of the building. Guests can also use the street parking in front as well as the municipal lot across the street for no charge. We just ask that they use care in crossing the street and the railroad tracks.
A word from Stone's Public House
Stone's Public House, in the time-honored tradition of New England and the old country of Ireland, invites you in for a pint, a conversation and, of course, some of the finest cuisine Metrowest has to offer. Our Public House prides itself on a rich history of fine food and drink, friendly service, camaraderie and, perhaps, a whisper of spirits not to be found anywhere else!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Stone's Public House - Best Restaurants in Ashland ›
Stone's Public House reviews from OpenTable diners
62 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (43)great for outdoor dining (24)good for groups (17)great for lunch (16)fit for foodies (16)kid-friendly (12)vibrant bar scene (11)great for brunch (10)special occasion (9)romantic (7)hot spot (7)late-night find (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014Been going to Stone's for years, but it has been a while since my last visit, and I was happily surprised to find the food (while always good) has gotten even better! My old standby, the cheddar-burger, was cooked exactly as I asked. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- More than Irish Bar foodNewYearsDinnerDined on 10/18/2014Had been wanting to go to Stone's for awhile and finally made it. the bar scene was what I expected but the food choices and quality was much better. Would definitively go back. Prices for dinners were high on average, but there were also reasonably priced items to choose from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findkmsbDined on 10/10/2014Went to Stones on a Friday night on recommendation and wasn't disappointed. The food service and ambience were great. My only criticism would be that they have TV screens on everywhere. The buffalo shrimp and mussels in tomato sauce were delicious. The menu is varied and there is something for everyone. An excellent choice do beers, wines and after dinner drinks too. Desserts looked wonderful but didn't try this time. Will definitely return and recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful place!1123bravesfanDined on 10/4/2014We loved the ambiance and the food. You must try the Mac and Cheese!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great upscale pubAfh714Dined on 10/3/2014Wonderful menu although not too large. Good variety of small and large plates. Nice beer and cider selections. And most importantly for me, a good variety of gluten free options. We've been here about 5 times and will keep coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, Will be back..WHUFCDined on 10/3/2014Glad we went to the Stone House, plenty of parking by train line, sat down within minutes, super friendly service & for Brits they have some great favorites which are close to back home...Sausage Rolls, Chips with Curry Sauce, sticky toffee pudding...Oh my word, what an experience...Great place & planning on return with a group of friendsSpecial Features:
- Meh.LoveThatVIPDined on 9/28/2014Sunday brunch - my friend got eggs over-easy and fruit. It was fine. I ordered burger & fries. Cheeseburger was GREAT. Fries were SO greasy I had to ask for a paper napkin to absorb the layer of grease (!) and then they actually tasted inedible because of the consistency. They were just fried at the wrong temperature I think? Waitress never asked me about it, or why I didn't eat them, or why when I packed my leftover burger (I only ate half) I didn't want the fries. She never offered an alternative. Disappointing.
- EnjoyableFood4funDined on 9/19/2014We had an enjoyable time at Stones. The atmosphere was great. The food was very good. The service was ok. It was a little slow at first but then was good after we got our order taken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem in AshlandPilotJeffDined on 9/13/2014This is what Ashland needs more of, cozy restaurant/bar environments that serve great food. Sure, you can get the average pub fare here but it is all done in a much higher quality fashion than you are used to getting from the typical soggy nacho place. This is our go to in town and reservations are a must on the weekends. I am not sure if I missed it, but a suggestion might be to have a daily special but honestly the menu has so many gems on it that it may not be needed.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemNotis42Dined on 8/27/2014This local restaurant downtown on the tracks has come a long way over the years. The ambiance is very cool, rustic and elegant all rolled up together. The history of being "haunted" adds a bit of mystery to the over all experience and the food is good. There is something for everyone. They offer three dining experiences, outside on the patio, inside in the bar area and a much quieter dining room off to the side. Weekends offer some live music on the bar area. Overall I am happily to have a place like this right down the street, I wish there were more like this around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but noisyLizdg120Dined on 8/23/2014Overall it was a good dining experience. We went on a Saturday night and it was very busy but with a reservation we were seated right away. The wait staff was mostly attentive but our waitress could have been a little more personable. The roasted half chicken was delicious and my husband really enjoyed the baked cod dish. Serving sizes were on the larger side so we took home a doggie bag. The noise level was bad, the acoustics made it difficult at times to hear the waitress or my husband. Overall it was a good dining experience and we will visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional serviceGirlsdinnerDined on 8/19/2014Our server was fantastic, she kept such good care of us. Wish I recalled her name. Blonde hair pony tail, we sat near handicap entrance. The tuna was awesome, the Putin fries excellent & white sangria went down way too easy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and beer listOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014This was our second time to the Pub. We sat out on the spacious patio. Our waitress was friendly, knew the menu and beer list. The food was great. Everything has a gourmet touch. We will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/2/2014Arrived at 5:10 on Saturday, and were seated at a table for two just inside the front door. When we asked for a larger table, they declined. (Six were visible.) when we left an hour later, five of the six tables for four were still unoccupied. Frankly, that introduction to the restaurant colored the rest of the experience. The menu didn't offer things they said the offered online. The beers, while craft rather than generic, were limited in selection (8). The food was good - but they created an inhospitable first impression and didn't recover. I don't plan to go back.
- Ashland treasureBlazepi13VIPDined on 8/2/2014This is our go-to restaurant in the Ashland area. The food is fantastic, the outdoor seating is cozy and comfortable, and the building itself is full of history (and spooky ghost stories)! Definitely recommend going here. We had the salmon and the chicken sandwich with the fries and curry sauce appetizer. The fries are so good! Our waitress was phenomenal and gave us a book to read about the haunted happenings at Stone's. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Great ServiceHappyPantsDined on 7/26/2014We've been visiting Stone's for many years, and I would like to say that the past 6-8 times we've had lunch or dinner here, we've had fantastic service, the beer is fresh, the wine list long, and the food is great. Vegetarian friendly, kid friendly. Great to spend time on the patio on a hot afternoon.Special Features:
- reliable and consistentmagpiebostonDined on 7/25/2014Stone's never disappoints but I do wish they offered dinner specials. They have never done this. The food is always good but the menu is very limited and a bit expensive. Even seasonal specials would be nice. Otherwise Stone's is a great place and I am proud to have this restaurant in our sleepy little town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoor diningCriticaldinerVIPDined on 7/24/2014I was there years ago and was good, but much more fun now. The cheese plate was perfect for 3 of us. Entrees were very tasty. Sherards pie was like an Irish stew with mashed potatoes and my daughter loved it. The chicken was cooked perfectly not dry at all. Fish and chips was very fresh and not too much batter. We will return soon with friends.Special Features:
- Live EntertainmentTexasAggie94Dined on 7/20/2014Had a band the evening we were there. The band was on the bar side and sitting on the other side was good. Could hear the music but still hold a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never let downOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/19/2014Dining at Stones public house is always a good experience ...excellent service from Kerrin ! We had friends in town visiting and it was a perfect night, the good was fabulous and the service was great. No complaints from this crowd.Special Features:
- Had problem w Open Table gift certMarushkaDined on 7/19/2014Took forever for them to figure out how to apply and said it could be used towards tip and then said it couldn't. Too many TVs (4) in the dining roomSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BobGVIPDined on 7/18/2014This was our second visit and the place was just as crowded as our first visit. We waited about 20 minutes for our table; maybe that's just standard for Stone's. The food was very good. The fried oysters were exceptional and the soy marinaded hanger steak was well flavored (as well as being perfectly cooked). I was slightly disappointed with the wild mushroom risotto; I found evidence of a single mushroom, along with a lot of truffle oil. I suspect we'll be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food but train too closeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/18/2014We went for dinner and had reservations - while waiting to be seated we could not get a drink at the bar, could not get any bartender to acknowledge us. Once seated the waitress was very good. Sat out on the patio - was nice but when the train went by (3 times) while eating dinner - it was very loud.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic sightQuality13Dined on 7/11/2014If you enjoy historical locations this is the restaurant for you... a converted 1834 combo hotel and train station it is! busy bar scene, decent food, excellent service... Only negative here is that all the entres are ala carte. But even so, all in all worth the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jjjjVIPDined on 7/11/2014always great, service wonderful, Kerin super waitress.Special Features:
- The following 90 reviews are from the Stone's Public House reviews archive.
- Good food in nice buildingJeanDined on 6/21/2014Historic building, good pub-style food and friendly staff. Outdoor seating in nice months.....Special Features:
- Stone's by the TracksJeffDined on 6/21/2014We took friends to this venue and were fully satisfied. The outside dining was active but not noisy...except for the periodic trains passing by less than 100 yards away. You never see them but it is impossible to miss their pass by. Servings were tasty, varied and ample. The variety of options will satisfy a broad range of tastes and appetites. There is plenty of parking behind the House and the capacity surprises. Using OT certainly was the right way to ensure seating at this worthy spot!Special Features:
- My Neighborhood spot!heidisVIPDined on 6/20/2014I love Stones. It has everything a restaurant should. Great food, great beer and wine, great atmosphere and great service! I love the patio. The spot for the summer. Hardest decision is deciding between all the great craft brews and their great wine list. That Tuna is amazing. And the cheese board? I never get tired of that. You can't go wrong with any of the items on the menu. It's just a GREAT PLACE!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day VisitSufordDined on 6/15/2014Tony writes: My wife decided to try this place for a Father's Day meal. The "Irish" (stuffed with corned beef and cabbage) eggrolls were very good. I had the lamb shepherd's pie--the sauce had a proper amount of rosemary and the lamb was tender. I finished off with the carrot cake. My wife went--as expected--for the petit filet mignon with grilled asperagus and the Jack Daniels chocolate cake for dessert. There are only a small number of non-alcoholic and sugar-free beverages. I settled for tea. Our room was somewhat noisy but the restaurant is close to the railroad and I enjoyed it when the trains came by. Service was attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite placegladdinerDined on 6/15/2014This is an historic old place with excellent food. I am gluten free and my family is not, and I appreciate that we all get the same menu. The items that can be prepared for me are clearly marked "gf." My husband likes the wonderful selection of beers. The service is friendly and attentive. It is a destination restaurant for us, when the point of the outing is the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fathers day brunchGRF4VIPDined on 6/15/2014My family went to Stones Public House for fathers day brunch . It was a very nice experience. It had been a number of years since I have been here. I was pleased with the service and food we all ate brunch items such as omelets, French toast, corned beef hash, and pancakes. Everyone thought the food was very good and nice portion size as well. The waitress was very nice and attended to our every need. I would definitely recommend this for brunch. They have a very nice outdoor seating area although we sat inside due to our party size. We will have to come back and try it for dinner soon. It is a nice warm place to have a meal, good food, good service, fair price.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014Food was very good. Interesting menu. Would not hesitate to return and/or recommend to friends. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we went backAnnieVIPDined on 6/13/2014Live nearby and had not been in a few years. Dining room refurbished, more upscale. Food very good as was our waitress. Noisy at first with kids but quieter as meal went on, tables filled with adults in couples and small groups. Pear salad was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not so greathungryDined on 6/13/2014I think the vinegar was left out of salad dressing. Burger s not cooked right. Screaming kids next to us. 150 wasted!! And the waitress didn't give back credit vCard ard. Had to go back next day again.Special Features:
- LocalDeanKDined on 6/7/2014I like it because it's walking distance from my house.Special Features:
- Love this placeBDaddyPDined on 6/1/2014Hadn't been here in about a decade and wonder why I haven't been back sooner. Great quality food and the service was 2nd to none. Great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodfanDined on 5/28/2014A group of 6 from our office met at Stone's for a celebratory lunch. It was excellent both in terms of food and service. Great sandwiches and small plates. I was the only one of the 6 who'd been there before, and all others expressed delight at finding out about it.Special Features:
- Over pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/17/2014A lot of suburban restaurants are trying to model themselves after city restaurants. Not only was it over priced it wasn't up to par. The ala carte style menu lacked favor and over all taste. Great location but the food needs work. A pass.Special Features:
- Went with low expectationsBigDaddyVIPDined on 5/16/2014My wife and I decided on a whim to go to dinner...looked for a restaurant using "Open Table" found Stones Public House...we decided to try it.....the place is old school..very warm in a cool way...we were seated promptly and our waitress was fantastic...the menu, beer and drink choices were great....fried calamari was awesome, I had the pork chop and my wife the sea bass, both were excellent. The side dishes....mashed potatoes with blue cheese & risotto with mushrooms were fantastic...we will return with friends. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2014It was an excellent experience at Stone Public House.Special Features: