Stone's Cove KitBar
2403 Centreville Rd
Herndon, VA 20171Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Stone's Cove KitBar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.stonescove.com/
- Phone: (703) 434-3615
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 12:00am, Sunday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Stone's Cove KitBar
Classic American food with a contemporary twist in a relaxed, upscale atmosphere. We offer small sharing plates with big flavor. Grab some dishes to share while enjoying our highly-rated wine list and hand made original cocktails. Stone's Cove is a warm, welcoming place where guests gather 'round like friends, even if they come alone.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Stone's Cove KitBar - Best Restaurants in Herndon ›
Stone's Cove KitBar reviews from OpenTable diners
117 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (72)neighborhood gem (59)vibrant bar scene (46)hot spot (43)great for lunch (35)good for groups (34)special occasion (14)late-night find (13)great for outdoor dining (11)romantic (10)great for brunch (9)notable wine list (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Great restaurant and love all the small plates!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014Although I love this restaurant - the ambiance, the food and the drinks, this is the third time that I have made a reservation and then had to wait 15 - 20 minutes to be seated. I really don't understand why they can't seat you closer to your reservation time. Once seated the dining experience was awesome as expected! Will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommed appetizersJohnenjoysdiningoutDined on 11/14/2014Enjoyed a good dinner sharing a couple appetizers, Creole Shrimp w/ Johnnie Cakes and Margarita Crab Lettuce Wraps. Also had Reuben flatbread. All were creative and delicious ... perhaps too much for "normal" dinner event, but we were up to the challenge. Also we really enjoyed their take on Sangria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK but over pricedTaraDined on 11/14/2014The Kitbar has a good idea - make almost every seat a seat at the bar. They serve small plates but many of them are priced more then a typical dinner. Another draw back is that because you're sitting around the kitchen you leave smelling like one.Special Features:
- Always great food!JudithDined on 11/14/2014We have been here about 5 times and always consistent with their wonderful food and great for people who eat smaller meals and like to share!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kitchen in a Bar - Unique and YummyDudeNachoDined on 11/8/2014The menu is small, tasty, and unique. You must try the Lobster Cones as an appetizer. We also had the seared ahi tuna which was also tasty but nothing special if you're accustomed to seared tuna. We finished our dinner with the Portobella Flatbread, half chicken, half shrimp. The shrimp was definitely better than the chicken. My only criticism is the wait staff bobbled our drink order, delaying a refresh for 20 minutes. They made up for it by a round on the house. This is great place for a date or any small group that enjoys dining at the bar with the bonus of seeing the food prepared in front of you.Special Features:
- Always YUM.FlatbreadFanDined on 11/8/2014Saturday Night after a Mason basketball game. Heading back into Herndon. Where do we want to eat? Stone's Cove Kit Bar of course. Tried out the autumn menu offerings and the new wines on the menu. Yum as always. Staff was friendly and happy. Remains a favorite.Special Features:
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/7/2014When I arrived, we had to wait, even though we had a reservation. I promptly let them know that I would expect some kind of discount for having to wait on a reservation. They responded with comping our drinks and still providing great service and food. Well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great lunchDoveVIPDined on 11/6/2014This was my second visit here and I wish they would open one closer to my home! We shared appetizers (upside down meatloaf and crab lettuce wraps) - more than enough for lunch. They made the crab salad right in front of us and it was a huge portion. The kitbar staff do it all - prepare and deliver the food and drink. Great concept!Special Features:
- Good Service, good foodns100Dined on 11/5/2014I had a made a reservation and my table was ready when I arrived. It has a cool ambience, good place to hang out. The food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InterestingRobFromDCVIPDined on 11/1/2014Stone Cove is both theatre and food. You get to watch your meal being prepared around a large bar. The selection of food is good, but not innvotive. Recommend the flatbreads.Special Features:
- Nice Surprise2SeniorsfromSWFLDined on 10/27/2014We searched the Trip Advisor lottery regarding this restaurant, and we were grateful to find accurate reviews. Although we were not crazy about the noisy bar scene, my Shrimp and cheese grits, and my wife's flank steak with grilled vegetables were very good. The owner/manager was very accommodating, and provided a side of garlic bread upon our request. if in the area again, we would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, reasonably priced!Foodie2013VIPDined on 10/24/2014It's a fun little restaurant with good food. Cool atmostphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite place in HerndonFletchDined on 10/24/2014My usual favorite spot in Herndon... great service, Incredible Food and Drinks... the new cocktails are mind blowing. Love this spot!Special Features:
- Stone's Cove: A hit!RegularGalDined on 10/23/2014Interesting concept. Kit Bar means kitchen bar. The are only a few tables. Most of the seating is at a large bar that surrounds an open kitchen, where one can watch food prep. My friend and I met at 6 pm, just missing happy hour. Friendly, attentive wait staff. For our appetizer, we enjoyed hot and cold dips, three cheese spinich dip with crunchy flatbread crackers. Four cold dips complemented hot spinich dip. Generous portions of the tasty dips. Great beginning. I had a muscat and my friend a merlot; serving size was quite modest. We both ordered Cobb Salads, and my steak topping was the perfect medium rare. We will go back, just for an assortment of appetizers for our meals. Want to try those meatloaves!Special Features:
- Easy place for a quick bitesoutherngalVIPDined on 10/20/2014I've been here before and had good food. This was no exception. I had the strawberry and goat cheese salad with chicken. It was good and one thing I love is the chicken was served hot on the salad which I love. My client had a flat bread that was really good and looked great in presentation. The service was top notch. Never and empty glass or delay on a request. It's not a place you go for a. Amazing dining experience but it is consistent and doesn't disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the conceptHaniKDined on 10/19/2014The restaurant layout is great ! the idea that everyone is seated around the stone oven and food made in front of you is brilliant. Great vibe, highly recommended. Although their menu selection isn't that big, the items on the menu are well chosen.Special Features:
- decent brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/19/2014prices were reasonable. all the food we ordered was good. quiche, flatbreat, and bangers were good. disappointed with service. it really wasnt that busy.Special Features:
- Stone's Cove, as usual...RobSmithDined on 10/17/2014I've never been here and had a bad experience. Even when the restaurant is packed, and the staff super busy, you can catch someone's eye without having to save them down. That's huge. Have you been to the bars where the only thing the staff focuses on is something right in front of them, or something else? (Never, seemingly - you with your empty glass...) Stone's Cove has the right people. Either trained well, or just plain smart. It's a great placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent Food, Spotty ServiceMajikposhunDined on 10/13/2014I choose this spot due to it's uniqueness, the food turned out to be extremely salty,a nd the service was really spotty, for an hour at the restaurant we saw the server 4 times - and you sit right at the kitbar - so there is NO excuse for not tedning to your tables more frequently. Gluten Free options are excellentSpecial Features:
- Great FindDiningfoolDined on 10/11/2014To our surprise and delight we stumbled upon this unique concept restaurant where the kitchen is behind the bar in full view. The staff skillfully mastered the new art of serving, bar tending and cooking all at the same time. They were as delightful as the food was delectable. Great find. Hope they come to Philadelphia soon!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting place and foodPinkShirtGuyVIPDined on 10/7/2014Lots of different menu items for either sharing or to eat by yourself. Beef sliders are great, the flatbreads are good and several unusual cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great casual placet8teVIPDined on 10/4/2014I love the set up of Stone's Cove. Sitting at the bar is always more "engaging" especially for the "bar tables" where you get some angles to make conversation easy. Food selection is great, but please: - put edibations back on the menu - get a deep fryer and serve fries and onion rings Definitely a must-try place if you haven't. It's fun, and one thing I've seen here that I don't see at a lot of restaurants is a number of staff who have been there for 2 and 3 or more years. Good sign!Special Features:
- Unique and funChasVIPDined on 10/4/2014The waiters are also the cooks. There is no kitchen in the back. The large bar surrounds the kitchen and you can watch your food being prepared, depending on where you sit. Recommended to share all dishes, tapas style. There are lots of good tastes available here. Savory items are best. Desserts are OK, but like many restaurants not outstanding, and not worth the calories. Wait staff tag teams you, and they are all very friendly and good. They all seem to do food prep, so they can really speak intelligently about the food, sources, preparation, and also some of the technology in the kitchen, which is facsinating. Shrimp and grits, filet sliders, mackinac flatbread highly recommended.Special Features:
- DisappointedBeccaIVIPDined on 10/3/2014We have been going here since they opened and we fell in love with the welcoming vibe. Over the last 6 months or so when we go in, we no longer get that "glad to see you" feeling. We have overheard rude comments about customers special requests and customers in general, sat down in front of staff who did not speak to us, and watched a place we loved turn into a place we are not sure we want to return to. I do hope one of our favorite spots returns to the business model they started with, great food and better service.
- Very nice Sunday BrunchBillTVIPDined on 9/28/2014Great location for Brunch. The outdoor dining was a perfect way to start the day with coffee and an omelet. The patio was inviting, the service was very pleasant and the food was quite good. I liked that the patio was behind in a walled courtyard and felt far away from the how busy the street is. The menu was very economical by comparison. I would visit again.Special Features:
- Good option for out of townersPTAAAVIPDined on 9/25/2014Food was excellent. That night I happened to be by myself. Chef came over and struck up a conversation. It was enough to make you feel welcome but not overbearing. The server was very attentive as well. Overall a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We keep coming backRestonFoodieDined on 9/16/2014Love this place! Great small plates, lots of variety and fun summer specials. You won't be disappointed...Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/16/2014"I love the relaxed feel of this place – like a comfortable dining room in a friends home. We definitely would return to try more dishes. Shrimp and Grits and Mackinak flatbread was sooo delicious. Service was well-timed and friendly and the the cocktails were amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First impressionsAnniversaryCoupleDined on 9/14/2014My wife and adult daughter and I stopped in for an early dinner and split a flatbread and the "meatloaf cupcakes" and a macaroon tower for dessert. The service was friendly and the food was well presented and very tasty. We thoroughly enjoyed it and will add this to our places to visit again. Our only complaint was that the a/c was really cold... but otherwise it was great.Special Features:
- Good food, but service needs workEljayceeVIPDined on 9/13/2014We've been here twice and really enjoyed the food both times. The service is friendly, but slow and forgetful. Both times we ate there, although it was not overly crowded, the servers forgot portions of our order ... a drink here ... an appetizer there. While they were apologetic and the ordered items did eventually appear, it meant we were all eating and drinking at different times. That is not the optimal experience. Because the food is so good, we will go back again, but if the service doesn't improve, we'll soon get tired of those issues and stop going.
- Fun atmosphereFoodiegroupieDined on 9/12/2014We loved the atmosphere, food selection, and the wait staff. The menu was interesting and had the perfect amount of options- not too overwhelming. The food we ordered was delicious and we all decided we will be coming back as regulars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My go-todukemaxwellDined on 9/12/2014The creativity with the menu and the staff keep me coming backSpecial Features:
- Always ExcellentjjmsVIPDined on 9/10/2014We have been going to Stone's Cove since it opened and we have never left disappointed. Very good food and service. The only thing that is a little annoying at times is the noise level in certain parts of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun & Delicious Dining ExperienceSzQtieDined on 9/9/2014We took my dad there for his birthday. This was our first time dining at Stone's Cove KitBar and we all really enjoyed the experience. The food was delicious and awesomely prepared. The service from the various "cheftenders" was great and they helped make it a fun evening of trying a new restaurant and uniquely prepared dishes. We tried 7 dishes including 3 appetizers (the lobster cones were my favorite), a flatbread, a salad and 2 entrées and think that was sufficient for 4 hungry adults. For a Tuesday night it was pretty busy, so the place had quite a lively atmosphere for an early weeknight. Would definitely go back when in that area again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!Smb323Dined on 9/5/2014We had an exceptional dinner. The Creole shrimp Johnny cakes were delicious. The spicy and sweet combination together was real good. The beef sliders were tasty. We also had the lobster roll that was by far my favorite. The servers were attentive. It was a little noisy in there but overall I would highly recommend it as a good date place to eat. It was really entertaining watching the staff cooking & pouring drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Let down, really disappointedSilviaVIPDined on 9/5/2014This is the 1st time I have ever rated a restaurant. I don't expect special treatment just good service as I know the food will be delicious. My pregnant coworker was leaving for maternity leave and I had ordered the tuna cone appetizer. I did not know that fish can be dangerous for unborn children and she was scared to eat it. It took several attempts to have them take it back. I ordered something else but it took 30 minutes to get the new appetizer brought to the table. The reasons for the bad service is because I went at noon, sat at a table and there was only 1 waiter taking care of all those tables and the bar. What is disappointing that despite the long wait and lack of service the waiter never apologized for the delays.
- Excellent, as always!acj0001VIPDined on 9/4/2014Stone's Cove Kitbar never disappoints. You will not find better service. All the servers/bartenders are excellent. The kitbar setting allows them all to help any customer, as opposed to the traditional one server per table. This means there is always someone there to take an order, but they aren't constantly interrupting your conversation either. The food selection is somewhat limited, but there is a seasonal menu. I recommend the Devil's Kissed Pasta!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad it is in the neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/30/2014Occasionally we decide to go at on the spur of the moment and go thru the list of possibilities. Often we get to Stone's Cove on the list and then:bingo! Consistent, friendly, comfortably casual. The menu is a little bit limited but we can always fall back on the usual suspects: lobster cones, a flatbread, the sliders, and maybe another small plate or dessert. With 2 drinks , we always spend between $80-100 (with tip/tax) and go home happily to no dishes to clean.Special Features:
- I go for the foodBDOpsDined on 8/28/2014The food selections are great, and the portions are smallish - perfect for me. The beer and wine selection is good and with reservations, we were seated right away in a good, part of the bar where we could talk without shouting.Special Features:
- Fun & entertainingBigCrankDined on 8/23/2014I had a challenge - two out of town diners, One a former chef and the other with food "issues", two kids who bore easily and my wife on a diet. I'm so happy I found this restaurant; it met all my criteria perfectly. Everyone was happy, we had a great evening! The food was a bit overpriced and not as interesting as the menu would have you believe. Example: "Upside-down meatloaf cupcakes" were nothing more that 3 meatballs served on mashed potatoes - meh. The pizza-like flatbreads however, were excellent. Service is also a bit slow, but attentive. Still, we liked it, we'll probably return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.