Stonehome Wine Bar & Restaurant
87 Lafayette Ave.
Brooklyn, NY 11217Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Stonehome Wine Bar & Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.stonehomewinebar.com/
- Phone: (718) 624-9443
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: John Gibson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
A word from Stonehome Wine Bar & Restaurant
Stonehome Wine Bar's menu is Seasonal American with focus on local produce, natural meats and fish from sustainable sources. The award winning wine list has 200 selections with 30 offered by the glass and in tasting flights. Spirits are also served. "The best (wine bars) like Stonehome Wine Bar, give the culinary as much attention as the oenological…. Chef Gibson is certainly unafraid to offer hearty fare with flavors that challenge-and amplify- those of the wine." Andrea Thompson – tables for Two – New Yorker.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Stonehome Wine Bar & Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Fort Greene ›
Stonehome Wine Bar & Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (31)notable wine list (24)fit for foodies (20)great for outdoor dining (16)romantic (13)special occasion (8)late-night find (5)good for groups (5)hot spot (4)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- LatinfanDined on 11/2/2014Though it's not a huge menu, we had a tough time deciding what to order as there were so many appealing options! Service is good, though not impeccable, friendly but not invasive. Everything - pasta with roasted squash and sage, grilled octopus, hake with mussels, pasta with lamb - was delicious, including the wine of course. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Overall great experiencelegionnaireDined on 10/18/2014This restaurant is a great combination of a charming setting, excellent food, an outstanding wine selection, and top-notch service. I would happily recommend it and plan on eating there again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/11/2014The food was excellent, the service speedy. Made sure we were out in time for our show. Very happy with the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing wine and impeccable foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/3/2014I don't know why more people don't know about Stonehome Wine Bar, which is just fine with me so we can keep this place to to the neighborhood. The food is always beautiful and delicious, and I've had some amazing wine here. Another reason to love Fort Greene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect pre-BAM spotfamilyof5VIPDined on 9/27/2014Our group of four had a relaxed dinner before a show at BAM. Nice ambiance, terrific pasta dishes, good wine list. And our server made sure to check on our show time to make sure we got out in a timely fashion. A+Special Features:
- Someone having a bad dayftgrnfoodieDined on 9/26/2014One of the servers was incredibly rude. Yelled "excuse me!" when he brought our plates and that was literally ask he said to is the entire night. As he dropped off other plates he did not say a word or even say what the dish was. I saw him walk in and out of the restaurant on his phone. Food is fine but really customer service needs to be more consistent and the wait staff learn how to smile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- charming wine barqueenoftartsDined on 9/25/2014We were headed to a concert at BAM, and wanted a quick dinner for three. This charming wine bar has a great selection of wines (no complaint there) and a good selection of small plates to share, all truly delicious. But you need to order too many of the small plates to make up a dinner, and a cheese board is not quite dinner either. We added one main plate, the roast pork, to our order. It was the most flavorful choice of the evening. This is a wonderful little wine bar, but not yet a great restaurant. For that, they would need to devote more energy to their dining selections. A beautiful little backyard beckons on warm evenings.Special Features:
- EXCELLENT, AS USUALBIRDMAN2VIPDined on 9/17/2014STONEHOME, WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE OF THE BROOKLYN ACADEMY, IS A WINEBAR THAT OFFERS AN EXQUISITE DINNER MENU THAT MAY BE LIMITED IN THE NUMBER OF ENTREES OFFERED BUT IS FIRST RATE IN THE NUMBER OF ORGANIC AND NATURAL FRUITS AND VEGETABLES AS WELL AS POULTRY AND MEATS THAT COME FROM FARMS WITH NAMES THAT ARE FAMILIAR TO THOSE WHO CARE ABOUT SOURCES. PREPARATION IS EXCELLENT AND SERVICE IS GENERALLY ON THE INFORMAL SIDE BUT COMPETENT AND ATTENTIVE, AT LEAST EARLY IN THE EVENING.Special Features:
- Lovely eveningsallyDined on 9/14/2014My sister, while on business trips, had been eyeing this place for years, so we stopped in for just a glass of wine one night and found the environment pleasing enough to return the next night for dinner. The weather was nice so we sat outside in their pleasant garden/patio section. The interior was also appealing except for the music which I did not think really went with the general "mood" - more on the electronic side…not quite right for the more "mellow"ambiance. The menu is somewhat limited as it is a place that focuses more on wine, but what we ordered (the three main entrées) were all superb. Since we waited a tad too long for our meal (the chicken takes awhile), the waiter generously gave us free deserts which were also excellent.Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014I recently dined at the Stonehome Wine Bar & Restaurant for the first time to celebrate a birthday. The ambiance was so inviting and relaxing. We sat outside and enjoyed every minute of it. The food coupled with the wine was superb. Everything we ate was incredibly tasty and fresh. I would absolutely recommend this establishment to anyone for a great dining experience. I will definitely go there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy EleganthungryhippoDined on 8/4/2014The cheeses and charcuterie were fantastic. The pate was good, but meaty rather than a smoother texture. We ordered the Maine crab pasta and pork loin, both excellent. Loved the subtle mint on the pasta and the pork had a wonderful sear on it while remaining moist.Special Features:
- The following 240 reviews are from the Stonehome Wine Bar & Restaurant reviews archive.
- LizzieDined on 6/28/2014This restaurant is among the very few "special places" near BAM. Menu is intriguing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Service Needs HelpAnonymousVIPDined on 6/27/2014Been here a few times and had great food and good service, however this past Friday was very uneven. The food was great, however the bartender barely looked in my groups' direction while we waited at the bar to get seated. The wait person looked indifferent as if she didn't want to be there or serve us (not sure which one it was). Had reservations but did not get seated until half an hour later. The maitre'd was trying his best to be accommodating, however I think the restaurant itself needs better management.Special Features:
- nice spotnightoutDined on 6/24/2014small but nice food menu suburb service was perfect for usSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful SurpriseHodgesVIPDined on 6/21/2014One of the best experiences we had on recent trip to NY--tucked into Ft. Greene area of Brooklyn and selected for proximity to concert venue. Concert was cancelled but we kept our reservation--good food, really friendly and engaging staff and a wine list that actually has affordable selections. We especially enjoyed the hush puppies and chatting with the staff. We dined in Manhattan at far more expensive places that didn't measure up to the experience Stonehome created for us. If I lived there I'd be there all the time! Try it.Special Features:
- Neighborhood wine spotOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/20/2014Great neighborhood nook with an option for a garden seat. I had the specials of the day, smoked fish soup and kale salad. Both hit the spot perfectly.Special Features:
- Lovely meal on outdoor patioOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/7/2014Stonehome has great food and wine with a somewhat limited menu. It was a beautiful sitting on the outdoor patio in the back. Enjoy!
- Reliably excellent at StonehomejasonVIPDined on 6/6/2014As neighborhood regulars, we enjoy our frequent visits to Stonehome: fine food and drink, pleasant and efficient service, and in warm weather, a very pleasant outdoor space.Special Features:
- pre concert dinnerbabywongDined on 5/31/2014Cute restaurant, walking distance to BAM, food was good, service was excellent. There's a small outdoor space in the back.
- NancyVIPDined on 5/30/2014First time to this restaurant and it is a winner. Really interesting menu, excellent food and great service. The garden dining is particularly nice….green and quiet.Special Features:
- crichDined on 5/28/2014Impressive place with excellent service. We wanted a good restaurant near to BAM and this fit the bill 100%.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood TreasureReadytodineDined on 5/24/2014This is our favorite place to dine before a BAM event. The chef is wonderful and everything we have ever tried on our numerous visits has been interesting and delicious.Special Features:
- Pre-theatertdckDined on 5/17/2014Pleasant service. Excellent food. Nice ambience. Followed up our phone call asking a question. Made certain we were out in time for our show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find - A Block from BAMKatherineVIPDined on 4/23/2014We really liked everything about Stone Home, and we will definitely go back. The food is inspired and innovative--we had the ceviche. which is served with guacamole; the charcuterie plate with Tasso ham; a spicy al dente pasta with seafood; even the "simple" green salad is excellent. The wine list is phenomenal--it is a wine bar after all--and we chose a delectable pinot noir from Oregon. The ambience is casual and relaxed, tables are a little too close together for me, but it's a small room. All in all, it's a great neighborhood spot, and just up the street from BAM. Service was friendly and good, although our server could have been more attentive in terms of pouring wine and bottled water.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food behind a funky exteriorOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014When I first saw the doorway i thought I'd made a mistake but inside is the decor is warm, sleek and welcoming. A limited but excellent menu. Loved the array of small plates. Definately a place to go when you're at BAMSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot SpotBrooklynDinerVIPDined on 3/15/2014Stonhome was packed when I walked in -- the tables, the bar. The atmosphere was electric. Welcome warm. And then the food -- perfectly prerared and plated. Had the Harissa marinated octopus served over warm lentils. It was so good! Then came the loin of venison. It was perfectly cooked -- seared and a beautiful rare pink! So delicious and tender with a perfectly matched chocolate sauce. The inexpensive house wine blend, also chocolatey, was a perfect complement. The service was warm and just right. All in a all, a perfect pre-theater dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't waste your timeBKsnaDined on 3/14/2014When you hear wine-bar you expect some degree of service with knowledge of wine pairings to go along with some quality food. Lets just say we got neither. The service was atrocious, the food mediocre at best and the wine nothing to write home about. Best part about this meal was when it ended. Please just take my money and kick me in the shin next time.Special Features:
- Great find near BAMOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/14/2014Stonehome Wine Bar was incredible. The intimate setting makes for a special evening. The limited menu offers only 4 or 5 starters and entrees but each one is delicious. We loved every dish and the wait staff was attentive. Can't wait to return.
- If you going to BAMplsathomeDined on 3/13/2014This is a great place to be, right by an exit from the Fulton St G station. Award-winning as a wine bar, it has a small but varying, creative, and consistently delicious selection of hot dishes, large and small -- and also moderately priced artisanal cheeesplates and charcuterie. Allow 90 minutes or so; it's a10-minute walk to BAM sites. Considerate of and good for those of us who must eat gluten free.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine-wonderful welcomePetesipDined on 2/26/2014It says "wine bar" for a reason! The staff is super-knowledgeable, knows how to find you a great wine (or several). We've been to Stonehome several times; meals were always excellent. The number of dishes offered, however, is relatively small, so if you visit often you will soon know the entire menu (not a terrible fate!), although it does change seasonally. For wine, our server recommended a Rhone red (it was a cold night), Domaine Monvac "Arabesque," which all four of us agreed was superb. As the place fills up, the noise expands exponentially. Try waiting until the pre-theater crowd disperses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A LAPSEBIRDMAN2VIPDined on 2/22/2014WE ARE LONG TIMERS; THIS IS OUR SPOT TO GO DURING THE BAM SEASON. MENU AND PREPARATION ALWAYS EXCELLENT. SOME VARIATION IN SERVICE BUT USUALLY MORE THAN SATISFACTORY. THIS TIME, THOUGH, SOME SORT OF A SLIP-UP IN THE KITCHEN APPARENTLY, COMBINED WITH A DISTRACTED SERVER WHO FORGOT ABOUT US, AND THE ENTREE DIDN'T COME AND IT DIDN'T COME, SHE RESPONDED QUICKLY ENOUGH TO A REMINDER, BUT THE MEAL WAS NO LONGER RELAXED AND ENDED BEING A CLOCK WATCHER. NOT AT ALL USUAL FOR THE STONEHOME, BUT THEY CAN'T TAKE ANY OF US, NEWBIES OR LONG TIMERS, FOR GRANTED.Special Features:
- InconsistentbklyndinerVIPDined on 2/21/2014We've eaten at Stonehome many times. The food is generally enjoyable but never memorable. We started with a salad which was ok, but uninspired. I ordered the duck breast, which was again, ok but not great (especially compared to the duck breast eaten earlier in the week at The Grocery!) My husband ordered the octopus and the risotto, which actually were both more successfull than the duck. The grilled octopus was delicious. I think the food at Stonehome is basically inconsistent. But it is still one of the more appealing restaurants in the area (and near BAM) so we will continue to dine there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best in a long timeMariposaDined on 2/15/2014Top chef experience phenomenal ...food was excellent, ambience , service and best of all clean .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Fort Greene GemWellseasonedVIPDined on 2/14/2014Welcoming, this would be a terrific wine bar but since its food is much better and broader than the typical wine bar, I'd call this a fine restaurant with an exceptional wine list. So happy to have found it.Special Features:
- Not good for after TheaterDinthe2Dined on 2/11/2014Although, they are quite close to BAM, they have no interest in accommodating the after theater crowd. We made a reservation for 10:45 pm, arrived at 10:50 and were told that the kitchen was closed. They were quite rude. We went to Diner in Williamsburg which was excellent and is open for a later dinner.
- A neighborhood place nearRodneyVIPDined on 2/11/2014A neighborhood place near BAM. Limited but adequate menu. It is a wine bar so very good and interesting wine selections. Nice comfortable feel. Tables fairly close so moderate noise but you can hear yourself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDING, AS USUALBIRDMAN2VIPDined on 2/7/2014INTERESTING MENU, FIRST RATE PRESENTATION, ACOMMODATING SERVICE, FINE WINE LIST (AFTER ALL, IT IS A WINEBAR).. ALL AS USUAL.Special Features:
- wonderful eveningSteveDined on 2/1/2014First time at this great little wine bar. Interesting list of diverse wines complimented with a smallish but very well prepared food menu. Could use just a few more offerings and would love to see some local wines to match the locally sourced ingredients. Impeccable, friendly service. Overall a terrific place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemReadytodineDined on 1/27/2014We discovered this restaurant/wine bar way too late as for years we have been looking for interesting places to dine before an event at BAM. Stonehome is perfect. The food is always fabulous, they have a varied and interesting selection of wines and the service and setting are so warm and comfortable. This will definitely be our pre-BAM go-to.Special Features:
- Good Food and AmbienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/18/2014I went for Dinner before a movie and ended up missing the movie because the service was very slow. We were completely done with apps and had empty wine glasses before having to ask for our server to put in entrees. Made a reservation for 8:15 and was seated right away, so thought is would have been plenty of time to make a 9:40 movie a two block away at BAM, but the theater was too crowded once we got there. Great food though and I would definitely return, but will give myself plenty of extra time on my next visit.I would recommend this to a friend.