St. Regis Monarch Beach Resort
One Monarch Beach Resort
Dana Point, CA 92629Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://michaelmina.net/restaurants/locations/stoc.php
- Phone: 9492343318
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday, Wednesday & Thursday: 6:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Raj Dixit
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Stonehill Tavern offers modern American tavern fare highlighting seasonal product from California’s finest farmers, ranchers and fishermen.
A diverse selection of 500 wines is available as well as a variety of hand-crafted, seasonal cocktails.
The beautiful space is ideal for wedding receptions, rehearsal dinners and birthday parties.
- Private Party Contact: Jacqueline Dotti 9492343318
- Special Events: Stonehill Tavern can accommodate your party, large or small and can host special events for either lunch or dinner. The restaurant is available to reserve in its entirety or in our private dining room.
A word from Stonehill Tavern
Restaurant Description At Stonehill Tavern, Bon Appetit’s 2005 Chef of the Year Michael Mina offers modern tavern fare highlighting seasonal product from California’s finest farmers, ranchers and fishermen. The warm and inviting setting, created by world-renowned designer Tony Chi, features a comfortable bar with intimate booth seating, a handsomely appointed dining room, terrace tables perfect for enjoying a Pacific Ocean sunset and private dining with its own fireplace.Continued
Los Angeles Times restaurant critic, Irene Virbila, gave Stonehill Tavern three stars.
Check out what the media is saying about us (http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/life/food/dining/article_1109746.php)
Los Angeles Times restaurant critic, Irene Virbila, gave Stonehill Tavern three stars.
Check out what the media is saying about us (http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/life/food/dining/article_1109746.php)
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Stonehill Tavern - Best Restaurants in Monarch Beach ›
Stonehill Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (33)special occasion (32)notable wine list (27)romantic (26)scenic view (24)great for outdoor dining (15)neighborhood gem (11)hot spot (9)good for groups (6)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Good foodPassVIPDined on 10/12/2014The scallops I order were undercooked and lack flavorSpecial Features:
- 2 Amazing dinnersKmartVIPDined on 10/11/2014We ate here twice while staying at the St. Regis. The food and beverage were both amazing. The first night, we just ate at the bar and had the lobster pot pie and scallops - both were delicious. The second night, we had a reservation and did the tasting menu. The portions were on the larger side, so definitely come hungry. Every dish was spectacular - a great blend of seafood with unique asian-influenced preparations. Would highly recommend. The only downside was an off-service for the food both nights.Special Features:
- Lovely EveningJaneneDined on 10/8/2014We enjoyed our anniversary celebration. We loved the quiet intimate atmosphere. The warm breeze and gorgeous view made our experience memorable. The wine and food was excellent. We look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Overall ExperienceHappy2eatDined on 10/5/2014My wife and I celebrated our wedding anniversary at Stonehill Tavern and had a fantastic time. The food, staff, and ambiance was perfect. We are looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Class tellsBarbaraBVIPDined on 10/5/2014This gem of a restaurant at the st Regis is rewarding on all fronts. Perfect but not obsequious service. Interesting menu, well executed. The lobster pot pie is luscious and beautifully served. The praline soufflé makes you wish you had saved more room for dessert. During October this restaurant is not open on Monday and Tuesday nights which is too bad for guests of the st. Regis and the ritz Carlton across the street.Special Features:
- Good food, nice ambiance.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/4/2014The Ahi tuna starter was OK. Expected better with all of the interesting mix-ins. The Pumpkin patch start was delicious, but very small. The St Pierre fish was OK. The fish was a bit over done and not very moist. The Barbary Duck was delicious. The side of duck confit with beans was OK - the bread crumbs and beans overpowered the taste of the dish. The cookies that came with the root beer float was delicious! The warm chocolate mousse was very delicious as well. The restaurant was a little bit loud and there was a 1 year old baby and 2 kids at the table next to us that was particularly noisy and the kids kept getting up and walking around. The mom must have taken about 25 photos throughout dinner and the flash was very disturbing!!Special Features:
- Incredible!GoHereNowDined on 9/25/2014Everything about this place was incredible. I would go back here every night if my wallet were significantly largerSpecial Features:
- KoKoDined on 9/21/2014We have been dining in Stonehill Tavern many times and many years, and have wonderful experience. Manager David is friendly and accommodating. Food is always good with all nice people!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014We've been here several times and have always had a good time/meal. Both my wife and I were very happy with our food this time around, but service was definitely slower. Granted, it was 8:30 on a Sat. night but even factoring that in, we both felt it was slower than usual. In hindsight, we should have ordered an extra glass of wine to pass the time, but we didn't realize food was going to take this long to come out. So, we ended up just chatting, would have been nice to chat over some wine, while we waited for our apps and entrees to come out. We thought they would bring our wine well before our food arrived so we held back on ordering more wine. The wine showed up just before the food. Wine by the glass menu was underwhelming as well.Special Features:
- Booths a must...MommaChenDined on 9/20/2014The food was excellent. It has a beautiful view but the space incorporating that view can be very loud. Booths are definitely recommended...staff was excellent as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointmentMSMSIDined on 9/13/2014We have been dining at Stonehill Tavern occasionally for few years. We loved the food and the service then that's why it was one of our to go to list. I felt that the service yesterday was not at par with "Michael Mina" name. The server forgot my appetizer, did not even noticed that it was not served until I called her attention. The food quality is declining. My husband's salad was not fresh "not Michael Mina" quality. The bread had too much butter. There is definitely decline in the quality of the restaurant overall.
- wonderfuljea234VIPDined on 9/13/2014everything about the restaurant was wonderful! the food, service and view all stand out. i would go back anytime i'm in the area.Special Features:
- Irwin6SteveIDined on 9/11/2014This was our second visit to Stonehill (after LOVING our first visit). On this visit, we were celebrating our anniversary. We were put on the patio and from the moment we sat down, rarely were taken care of. We did get to order one cocktail (not to be asked if we wanted another one). We ordered our food and it took sooooo long to get it and they didn't even know which one of us order which meal when they brought it. Our waiter never came to check if everything was ok, if we wanted another cocktail or bottle of wine or even dessert! After 2 hours of being completely ignored, we had to ASK for the check!!! We were very disappointed because our food was so good we wanted to order dessert and for sure would have ordered a bottle of wine!
- Great food... Slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Food was great, however it took a long time to get served. My wife and I waited over 20 mins to get menus then another 10 to get water. All night, we hardly saw our server.Special Features:
- Expected BetterDanaPointerDined on 9/5/2014Table for four was small, with little leg room. Waiter was very personable and was helpful explaining the menu and specials. Two of the dinners were switched, delivered to wrong person. One of the dinners was missing key accompaniments (dungeness crab and potatoes/truffle shavings). Two of the dinners were delivered warm to room temperature (not hot) . . . for the prices they charge, one should expect better.
- OutstandingkrasherDined on 9/3/2014Everything was perfect; the food and the service and the view and it was not noisy! Is there anything else to know? Brilliant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in OC & Maybe SoCalOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/31/2014Raj's tasting menus are on a par the best NY, Copenhagen, LA, San Fran! I don't even bother trying to pick wines any more. Paul (Sommelier) just brings what he thinks is the best find of the evening. Incredible value! Service headed up by David seems to find exactly the right pace. Should you be interested in cocktails, Jenny makes the best whether it is an old favorite or just something she dreamed up. If you are looking to try something new but don't want to take a chance, go to Stonehill you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SusanDined on 8/27/2014We celebrated my husband's milestone birthday here last week and had a wonderful experience. There was nothing we didn't enjoy about our evening from the welcome we received from the hostess to the fantastic service from our waiter and his team. We loved the craft cocktails and the unusual menu items. All the little touches from the amuse bouche to the ice cream cone at the end were much appreciated. Our only regret - it was a week night and we had to work the next day. Otherwise we might have lingered lomger with an after dinner drink. We will definately be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed Birthday DinnerCollegekidcaDined on 8/16/2014Went to dinner and a aited 20 minutes just to give our drink order. The main courses came out 15 minutes apart and we were not even given the side dish we ordered because the waitress forgot. Service seemed uninvolved and uninterested. Ambience and the food were good, but the service was so disappointing that next time I will go to Mastros or the Montage.
- Amazing!MazkelDined on 7/27/2014The entire experience was truly outstanding. The food was creatively prepared and delicious. We were also given a few additional surprise items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special dinnerAveryDined on 7/25/2014Very, Very, very noisy! Food service was very slow.The captain came to our table and apologized for the kitchen. We received a lobster pot pie while we waited. We like cold white wine. The ice bucket was remote so we had to ask for refills (three times).Special Features:
- Expensive DisappointmentmikeVIPDined on 7/11/2014Dined there on several previous occasions, this time total disappointment . Food was " precious" over thought/overworked and basically bland .
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/5/2014Food was good, but slow - almost 4 hours for dinner! Mixed bad of patrons - tee shirts to sport coats.Special Features:
- Wonderful beginning to enddininggalVIPDined on 7/2/2014Had dinner here 2 nights ago with a pal I haven't seen in a while. We ate on the patio overlooking the grounds, pool, & ocean. It was lovely. The service from the entire staff was perfect & very gracious. We shared a kale Caesar salad which was delicious & the Jidori chicken for 2 which is carved table side & served with the best truffle mac & cheese. So scrumptious. We were seated for more than 3 hours chatting & not once were we rushed. The server even gave us each a little tin of spice that was used on the chicken to take home. I would highly recommend Stonehill Tavern & am looking forward to dining there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 438 reviews are from the Stonehill Tavern reviews archive.
- dinner datescottbrownDined on 6/20/2014great wine list, expensive but as expected for 5 star hotel. food is good but not AMAZING lamb was really good but filet was average, tuna tartar was ok, hamachi app was ok but nothing to write home about. if you want a relatively elegant dinner experience in Laguna/Dana point this isn't a bad place to do it. staff is very friendly and accommodating.Special Features:
- Restrooms?KansasGuyVIPDined on 6/20/2014When you're charging $300+++ for a meal for two, would it be too much to provide bathrooms--not just send your diners out in the hotel corridors to maneuver at least three corners?????Special Features:
- Terribly disappointingBess8VIPDined on 6/19/2014My fiancé and I another couple went to dinner at Stonehill Tavern with great excitement. We have eaten at many excellent restaurants in many cities/countries and cook a lot so the opportunity to eat at such a highly rated restsurant was much anticipated. Unfortunately, it was basically a disaster. It took TWO hours to receive our appetizers. No one came to apologize or to tell us the status. I had to flag the waiter down. When the food finally came it was decidedly mediocre, with my fiance's pork special of the evening literally inedible. Having already been there 2.5 hours we didn't bother to send it back. They gave up free desserts but that really didn't make up for lack of service and quality. I'm sorry to have to write this review.
- Great food, wine and serviceAnniversaryLoveDined on 5/31/2014This was our second time dining at Stonehill and it was just as amazing as the first! This time, my husband and I were celebrating our birthdays. It was a nice, warm day so we agreed to sit on the balcony outside. The view was beautiful and we felt like we had the entire patio to ourselves. Everything from the salad to the main course and sides were amazing. The salmon was cooked perfectly and the squash blossoms were so flavorful and unique. The wine list was impressive and we enjoyed a fantastic bottle. We ordered a dessert to split but they also gave us each a complimentary little dessert for our birthdays. The service is extremely high class and you feel it from the moment you call for a reservation until the moment you leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as we had hoped for.TomasVIPDined on 5/28/2014We visited this restaurant while staying at the St Regis. The location is beautiful, with spectacular views of the Pacific. The Chef, Michael Mina is well respected, and indeed there was a book of his recipes in our suite. However, the execution of the meals we were served was not spectacular, and the appetizers were considerably over priced for what they were. We had stayed at a St Regis in Puerto Rico and there is a restaurant there run by noted chef Jean-Georges, and everything we ate there over several days was remarkable. The food we had at the Stonehill Tavern was very good, but simply not remarkable. The service was also very slow. In summary, the meal was good, however not worth the time or money invested.Special Features:
- Spectacular!SocountyfoodieDined on 5/23/2014Wonderful experience from start to finish! Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Quick Dinner Not To Be Believed!FoodieLoriVIPDined on 5/21/2014The food was impeccable, and beyond my expectations! the service was more than excellent! I can't wait to return to the St Regis, Monarch Beach and savor every bite again! Bravo to Chef Michael Mina!!Special Features:
- Fabulous food and atmosphererogersgwDined on 5/16/2014Went to Stonehill for our anniversary --- short ribs, tuna tartar, and black cod were outstanding... excellent top notch service.Special Features:
- Best lobster pot pie in earth!FoxyjenDined on 5/10/2014We went for my 40th birthday. Food was spectacular! The lobster in the pot pie was so tender and delicious. We started with cocktails that were excellent. I had the Moscow Mule. Yum! Wine was great. Claude wAs our waiter. He provided outstanding service. Lovely evening! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Michael Mina at his bestAlanDVIPDined on 5/9/2014I've had the pleasure of dining at ten different Michael Mina restaurants over the years and the Stonehill Tavern rates as one of his crown jewels. An elegant room with high ceiling and excellent table separate allows very good table conversation. The menu contains several Michael Mina standards that fans will appreciate along with innovative dishes crafted using locally produced items. The wine list reads like a novel with appropriate concentration on California wines. An extremely well stock bar mixing both old cocktails and new inventive ones. As expected at a restaurant of this status, the wait staff is highly trained, knowledgeable and efficient. If possible ask to be served by Claude. A world class waiter who could work in any house.Special Features:
- May 2,2014 dinnerPaulsAnniversaryDined on 5/2/2014we had reservations for 4 for the Stonehill Tavern- Our drinks and wine took 45 minutes until we were served. The wine presentation was very poor. Our Anniversary Dinner was ruined because of the poor service.Special Features:
- DinnerBrunchDined on 4/27/2014There were four of us for dinner and the service and food were excellent. We had a table near the kitchen door which was not ideal and i would recommend requesting a booth when booking as these were mush nicer. Our waiter was awesome - Claude / Garcon - professional, dry wit and very knowledgeable. Overall a great dinner and i would recommend the restaurant. Try the fried chicken with the truffle mac and cheese and request the kale chips as an on the table snack pre meal - delicious...Special Features:
- Consistently GoodnewportfoodieVIPDined on 4/12/2014We've dined several times at Stonehill and reserve it for special occasions. This time around we tried the tasting menu which was very good. The portions are tiny and the prices high so with a bottle or two of good wine from the extensive wine list you can easily spend $400. The service was above average, but very uneven. It took over 2 1/2 hours for the dinner service and the restaurant was not crowded and we were the first guests at 5:30 pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our meal was very nice butchefsupriseDined on 3/29/2014Our meal was very nice but the service was better. Our waiter was excellent and allowed our conversation to flow while picking his moments to address the table. The meal was very good and we enjoyed the chef samplings we were presented with. It is a tad bit on the expensive side but the experience was worth it.Special Features:
- Food/Service - 10; Price/Qty - 5EricDined on 3/28/2014My wife had the scallops which were tender and delicious. I had the filet (medium rare of course) and it was exceptional. Together with some starters (lovely salad and pumpkin ravioli), a nice bottle of wine, and some side dishes of vegetables (mushrooms and squash), the meal was extraordinary. The waiter's attention to detail was above average. He brought us some complimentary soup made by the chef prior to our starter, as well as some complimentary deserts for our anniversary, although I still ordered the warm chocolate mousse! Our only complaint would be the prices are extremely high for the quantity of food that is served. All portions are tiny. Extremely small and less than what we would expect from a steak/seafood house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We've been going there forpH123VIPDined on 3/21/2014We've been going there for special occasions for about 6 years. Note: There is only a view out the windows BEFORE sunset. Booths by the bar (no view) are cozy and romantic. Food is mostly local, with good fish and vegetables. Meat is over-priced, even for a $$$$ restaurant. Wine list is extensive and expensive. Service is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.