Stokes Grill and Bar - Old Market
1122 Howard Street
Omaha, NE 68102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Old Market
SouthwestPrice: $30 and under
Stokes Grill and Bar - Old Market
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.restaurantsinc.net/
- Phone: (402) 408-9000
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM.
Lunch: Daily: 11:00 AM - 4:00 PM.
Dinner: Daily 4:00 PM - 11:00 PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: John Ursick
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Stokes features the delicious creations of Chef John Ursick and the helpful planning assistance of Avesta Saaty. Our catering team has the experience to accommodate any situation.
- Private Party Facilities: Stokes in the Old Market currently has private dining rooms for 16 people and 30 people. There is a semi private room that accommodates up to 45 people. The new expansion will present a private dining area that can accommodate up to 100 people.
- Private Party Contact: Avesta Saaty 4022166648
- Entertainment: Stokes will be featuring live music in its new additions coming soon!
A word from Stokes Grill and Bar - Old Market
Stokes is a locally owned restaurant that features: Steaks and beef from Nebraska, fresh seafood, and daily specials, all with an imaginative southwestern touch. Stokes also features beer crafted in Nebraska and an award winning wine list with over 40 wines offered by the glass. Bottles of wine on the non-reserve list are featured as half priced on Tuesday evenings and Friday and Saturday evenings after 9:00 p.m. If you are looking for an interesting cocktail such as a bourbon drink served in a whiskey flask, a Moscow mule in a copper cup, or a great mojito, margarita, or sangria we"ve got that covered as well. The restaurant features one of the best patios in the Old Market on 12th Street and has expanded to include patio seating on Howard Street. The expansion also means a premier banquet area in the Old Market complete with audio visual equipment and creative menu option packages. Stokes also offers a wide array of off premise catering for any occasion or group.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Stokes Grill and Bar - Old Market - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Old Market ›
Stokes Grill and Bar - Old Market reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (11)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (6)fit for foodies (5)notable wine list (5)great for outdoor dining (5)neighborhood gem (4)great for lunch (4)romantic (3)special occasion (3)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014The food was fantastic. We waited for over an hour for our dinner. Unacceptable.Special Features:
- Omaha Restaurant Week FindtrustytipsDined on 9/19/2014We tried Stokes in the Old Market because their Omaha Restaurant Week menu looked intriguing. We were not disappointed and have added Stokes to our list of "must return to" restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 57 reviews are from the Stokes Grill and Bar - Old Market reviews archive.
- Basic Old Market restaurant. Okay.mimitoniDined on 7/25/2014It's one of those one time visit Old Market places. If you're a wine drinker it's a great place and they even have a wine club. If we lived in Omaha I would join however, wouldn't eat there often. Food okay but a little pricy. Cost come with area, accepted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Market GemReneeVIPDined on 6/28/2014Stokes in Omaha's historic Old Market area is a must. The wait is minimal and the food is excellent.Special Features:
- slightly disappointedBummed2niteDined on 5/22/2014Took a couple there for an engagement dinner, talked the place up before we got there. Her tilapia came out cold in the middle, I had a piece of hair in my Grilled chicken dish, yuck!! The food was just not as good as I remembered. I was embarrased since I had talked about Stokes for a couple of weeks. Our waiter Eric was so nice and apologetic. They didnt offer to adjust the bill at all, again disappointing. At least the manager couldve payed a visit to our table or something. I think we will just stick to dining out west. The Stokes out there has never let us down.Special Features:
- Don't go for the Enchilada'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014Well we went with good expectations and were disappointed. My wife ordered there most popular dish “Sharon’s Chicken Enchiladas” If you like you chicken almost dry and absolutely no seasoning then this is your dish. It tasted like they took the chicken tossed it in the oven and then shredded it and slapped a flour tortilla around it. I thought I would go for something interesting and we could share. I ordered the “Meatloaf From Hell” well after that mistake I find it should of stayed there. The meatloaf was EXTREMELY dry, it tasted as if you had cooked it last week and then through it on a Forman grill to warm it up. If you like these type of dishes more power to you and your stomach but we enjoy juicy, tender, and flavorful food.
- Good food and good service.sbn67Dined on 4/6/2014Good food and good service. Our waiter was very attentive. The salmon dip was awesome (and I don't even like salmon!). The shrimp pasta that was recommended by our waiter was great! Will definitely eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Explore the menuKeith4manDined on 3/28/2014I have my favorites like steak and mushroom enchiladas but every time I try something new I find another favorite. Excellent service from Joe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines Day at StokesReneeVIPDined on 2/14/2014The menu offers a wide variety of both food and drink. Our server (Justice) was very attentive without being intrusive. He was friendly and knowledgable reagrding the menu and quick to offer drink recommendations when asked. Our garlic mussels were great. We will definately return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic menu and excellent wine!FirstmatesDined on 2/14/2014The food is full of flavor and their service is top notch. You won't be disappointed with this establishment. Nor its location in the heart of the olé Market.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines Dinner before a showTom2Dined on 2/14/2014Stokes has never let us down. Consistently great service, ambiance and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable Valentine's Day night out8itallDined on 2/14/2014We had made reservations online, arrived on time and were seated immediately. Our party of 4 got a large table near the front in a fairly quiet corner. Service was outstanding from start to finish. We tried the appetizer special - dates wrapped w/ bacon and stuffed with japapeno cream cheese. The sweet 'n' salty combination was wonderful! I had the Filet Oscar, best steak I've had in a long time and very generous with the crab meat. My wife loves the corn chowder and, along with a salad, made that her meal. Our friends had the salmon and the meatloaf -- both were very pleased. So glad we braved the traffic of the Old Market for this delightful experience.Special Features:
- cold creme brulee - not vichyssoisegolpher01Dined on 2/14/2014Our dinner was good; my prime rib was flavorful however my wife's ribeye not so much. Our server was friendly and attentive. We ordered crème brulee for dessert and were surprised to find it was not only just-out-of-the fridge cold but also very runny. Our server replaced this with another that had set up correctly however was still ice cold... we've had room temperature and even some that was nice and warm but this was the first time for cold crème brulee - not bad but not the same... we will most likely dine at Stokes again as there was plenty on the menu to choose from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice dinner place to grab a biteDinnerisservedDined on 2/11/2014We went for a much needed night out with our friends and two boys, age 5 and 2. They were more than accommodating for the kids and had a great selection of food for them. We all ordered our food and it was quickly brought out. The food overall was delicious. The only complaint at the table was how poor the rice was cooked. Many crunchy pieces that made it not enjoyable to eat. All other food was excellent. Our wait staff was great and gave us time to catch up with friends without being overly interrupted.Special Features:
- NYE Fun in the Old MarketOmahaDinerDined on 12/31/2013My wife and I chose Stokes for dinner to start our New Years Eve in Downtown Omaha. The menu was full of options. My wife chose a recommended favorite for her dinner (red wine from Santa Barbara to drink) , while I chose their "special" for that night--prime rib (champagne for my drink). Our server was helpful and punctual. The food came out to us hot, and in a timely manner. The ambience in the restaurant was as expected for New Years Eve, and with our window seats, we were able to look out and see the Old Market full of life. Overall, we enjoyed our dining experience and would visit Stokes again.Special Features:
- Great night outOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/28/2013Made a reservation online and got seated right away! Our server was excellent and even though the restaurant was busy, our server made us feel like we were important and was happy that we were there!Special Features:
- Great food, great atmosphere,greatLizzyDined on 11/22/2013Everyone in our party ordered something different and we all raved about our choices.....that doesn't happen often. Our waiter was very courteous and accommodating ......have always liked Stokes and this visit didn't change my mind.Special Features:
- Still a good restaurantdiner112213Dined on 11/22/2013Stokes Old Market in Omaha is a fine place for a casual dinner with friends. The service can be very good to good, depending on the server. The food varies considerably from very good to just ok. In recent times the trend has been toward heavier, less subtle entrées where quantity prevails over quality -- overall gravitating downward toward the restaurant-chain-like experience of mass-produced items meant to serve as many customers as possible in the least amount of time and aiming to the average palate. It's still a step above the Friday's/Applebee's/Olive Garden kind of eatery but not by much, and the gap seems to be closing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was excellent andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/31/2013Service was excellent and food was good. We were in a small group, and dishes came quickly. The staff were friendly and accommodating. Great ambiance as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Having a rough night, perhapsBrianVIPDined on 10/19/2013This was not a good outing. The food was good, but not great. The server strongly recommended the blackened salmon tacos and an enchilada dish, both of which we found fairly bland (although certainly acceptable). The cheese plate was average. The signature margaritas were again fine, but not anything special. The real problem here was the service. Our eventual server was himself pretty good, but it took about 12 minutes for someone even to acknowledge our presence at the table after being seated. Something was whispered about a server walking out just before we arrived. Then a kitchen problem--one entree was delayed long after the other two (10 minutes after). Good vibe and good wine list, hopefully just a bad night. But we won't be back.
- Good EatsSmileDined on 10/18/2013Never disappointed with Stokes - good meals, happy hour and atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening GroupRickDined on 10/7/2013Everything was excellent once we were seated. The young man at the front desk could certainly use some schooling in the finer aspects of satisfying the needs of the customer. Their "Director of First Impressions" was lacking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!asclavijoDined on 10/1/2013I met 2 co-workers from out of town and we had dinner. It was easy for them to find from the airport as well! The food was great... the service was fantastic... we had a great timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed in Food TimingdiningoutDined on 9/21/2013Food is usually served quickly at Stokes, so we were surprised at how long it took for ours to be served. Other tables around us had their food long before we did, even though we came in and ordered before they did. Our server was nice, but didn't bring forks with desserts, even though we had none on the table. The light over our table was out. We shouldn't have been seated there until the bulb was replaced. Not one manager came by our table and checked on us, even though we were obviously without drinks or food. Also, in the expanded section, there is a door that kept slamming shut. If people need to go in and out of that door so often, then get a closer for it. It was very distracting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A+ in my bookOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/10/2013We are from out of town and we were looking for something different and we found exactly what we wanted. The food was incredible, the service was attentive, and ambiance was perfect. I would highly recommend trying this place. The next time we're back in town we'll be going here. I'm already wanting more of the food I had there.
- Perfect Lunch SpotmclovinVIPDined on 9/9/2013I take clients here on a regular basis and I always seem to find a menu item to try to keep my experience fresh and new. I have my favorites but the list keeps growing, this is the perfect lunch spot for business or pleasure.Special Features:
- Outstanding Dining ExperienceMar1Dined on 7/27/2013Stokes has the best service of any restaurant that my husband I have been to in Omaha. They were accommodating when we preferred a traditional booth to a round booth. My husband was interested in ordering the fish tacos with talpia. The waiter informed him that they were out of talapia and were using salmon as a substitute. He was very helpful in recommending other dishes since, my husband is not a salmon fan. The waiter was knowledgeable about the menu and the wine list. The service and food were outstanding. Stokes is one of our favorite places for date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great pub ambienceRowenaDined on 7/26/2013We are out-of-towners, and we went to Stokes based on looking at the menu and the reviews online. The staff is friendly, and the food is very good. Drinks are excellent. Locals seem to agree, because happy hour was brimming with young professionals. That made it very loud, but people-watching was fun. We would go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great fish tacosluvgoodfoodDined on 7/3/2013Many southwest flair choices. I chose the fish tacos, and glad I did as they were fabulous...tilapia was cooked to perfection. Would like to return and sample a full dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High quality and flavors, low pricedisappointedDined on 6/27/2013Our party of 6 absolutely loved everything we ordered. Great guacamole, incredible white-meat chicken enchiladas, jumbo grilled shrimp, crispy fresh salads and a wild array of memorable cocktails. I cannot wait to eat a Stokes again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always very good to excellentcm43VIPDined on 6/10/2013Stokes is consistent. The food is very good to excellent, the prices certainly moderate. The menu is fairly constant but the dishes are worth going back to so that is fine. We sat outdoors on a June evening and it was very pleasant. There was a lot of foot traffic on the sidewalk but it was not distracting and at times fun to watch. A very enjoyable restaurant.Special Features:
- Stokes Burger-RomanticVIPDined on 5/24/2013Recommended by a concierge and the burger was awesome. Cooked to order exactly and taste of wood fire smoking. Fries were fresh and good. Waitress was friendly and right on top of things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dined outside as we requested.John911Dined on 5/18/2013Dined outside as we requested. Always outstanding experience in every way. If Stokes could control the weather they did a great job at that also !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The waitress was friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/11/2013The waitress was friendly and helpful when we asked her opinions. The atmosphere and service were all very good. We had an appetizer that was kind of like a shrimp cocktai and was served with chips, can't remember the name. It was okay, probably would not order it again. I had the almost famous enchiladas and they were good. Could have been a little hotter (tempature-wise not spice) but still good. I ordered a side of the guacamole and it was excellent! My husband had a chicken and pasta dish and said it was very good. We will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is normally very good,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2013Food is normally very good, but 2 of 3 plates were cold on Friday. Server was akward and slow. Definitely not timely enough for a business day lunch.
- Love this place. DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/20/2012Love this place. Delicious food, good service, pleasant atmosphere. We always take out of town guests to Stokes! It's always the first place our out of town children request goingSpecial Features:
- Perfect lunch spot, greatmclovinVIPDined on 10/9/2012Perfect lunch spot, great sizes of plates and outstanding tastes.Special Features:
- Don't do it!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/3/2012We selected the restaurant because of their reputation. I was somewhat concerned about some of the negative service reviews prior to going as we were entertaining out of town family. Unfortunately, the reviews were correct. We had to ask multiple times for things like our drinks,silverware, a childrens menu (which never came) and one of our entrees that came after everyone was over half done and ended up being doubled billed for. When ordering appetizers, they were not served with enough chips then we were charged for extra chips so that we could finish the dip. A simple dinner took 2 hours. We have no desire to ever return. There is too much competition in the Old Market and Omaha to experience service and food like this
- I love Stokes in Miracle Hills,klibenVIPDined on 9/23/2012I love Stokes in Miracle Hills, so I was extremely disappointed that the Old Market location had terrible service and poor food. The hostess sat one of us staring directly into the sun. When we asked for another table, she seemed confused. She kind of pointed over at a table in the bar and had us retrieve the silverware, napkins, menu, and wine list. A server didn't come to our table for 10 minutes. He seemed annoyed that we were there. My chicken was extremely dry. I've had Sharon's (Almost) World Famous Enchiladas before, and they're usually fabulous. These were not. I'm going to stick with Miracle Hills.Special Features:
- My food was somewhat dry likeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/17/2012My food was somewhat dry like it sat under the heat lamp too long.