Stoic & Genuine
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Stoic & Genuine
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.stoicandgenuine.com/
- Phone: 3036403474
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Jorel Pierce
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Denver’s historic Union Station is the perfect setting for Stoic & Genuine, an iconic multi-coastal seafood, oyster house and granita bar. This is the latest restaurant from the team that brought you Rioja, Bistro Vendôme and Euclid Hall including James Beard Best Chef Southwest Jennifer Jasinski and her business partner Beth Gruitch. The full restaurant is available for receptions.
A word from Stoic & Genuine
Welcome to Stoic & Genuine! Denver’s iconic multi-coastal seafood, oyster house and granita bar committed to impeccably fresh, sustainable, and creative seafood preparations set in the grand ambiance of Denver's newly renovated historic Union Station. An exhibition kitchen opens up to a fresh raw bar with ever-changing selections of shellfish. The beverage program is centered on a creative granita bar, craft and classic cocktails and a broad grower champagne selection by the bottle and glass. No ocean. No worries.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Stoic & Genuine - Best Restaurants in Downtown / LoDo ›
Stoic & Genuine reviews from OpenTable diners
165 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (100)hot spot (81)great for outdoor dining (60)special occasion (58)vibrant bar scene (38)great for lunch (37)neighborhood gem (31)romantic (27)notable wine list (24)scenic view (20)late-night find (12)good for groups (4)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Seafront AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014Stoic & Genuine was excellent all around. They offer a choice of flat or sparkling water and the food was excellent. Our table had the fried oyster sandwich, the clam chowder with bacon wrapped halibut, and the lobster roll. Their lunch portions were on the smaller side, according to the men in our group. The waiter did suggest supplementing the smaller lunch items with a salad. All around, it was an excellent place to dine for a small networking lunch.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014This restaurant is new in Denver. Food was great, however, the service was a little "off". Not quite up to par for a restaurant of that caliber P.S.HELP! I received an email telling me I have reached my 2,000 points and deserve my $20 dining cheque, however when I click on "Redeem Cheque" a notice comes up saying they have "encountered a failure during the last operation and I should hit the back button." It does not work!I have entered what I thought was my email and password in the "Help" section and that doesn't come up either, saying you will send me a new password. This is quite frustrating! Please send me a new email so that I may redeem the dining cheque that I have earned!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected MoreOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014More selections for main courses.......excellent seafood bar......we will return for apts. in the future not for a dinner.....great cocktails....service was poor....had the same poor service at Jenifers french bistro three weeks prior.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- won't returnOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014good location, good service, terrible food, not worth the price. Lobster roll was literally a 3 bite appetizer size finger food, ridiculous for price charged, expected an actual lobster roll. Clam chowder, was muscles in some broth, not chowder at all. Corn on the cob, how do you ruin that ? Well they did, put some shrimp sauce on it, did not compliment corn, just completely overpowered it and made it inedible. I will not return.Special Features:
- Another Jewel for Jasinski!JanetCVIPDined on 9/13/2014Great food - Great Fun! The oysters were superb. Crab Louie was amazing! Crazy cocktail list...not one of the four of us wished for anything more than we got and this awesome new venture for Jennifer et al. This will now be my new pick for special occasions throughout the year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All surf, no turf magnificenceUnrepentantFoodieVIPDined on 9/10/2014Stoic and Genuine is Denver's best seafood restaurant. They don't apologize for it...no turf on the menu. Lovely, creative, tapas type bite to share, as well are more heft portions. Try things you don't think you'd like.....two friends hate sardines but their sardine appetizer was the favorite bite of the night. The servers share tips, so everyone wants to help. Each new course evokes sounds that make your neighbors think "I'll have what she's having"...evoking memories of that famous scene. It's that good. Put his restaurant in Manhattan and the NY food snobs would be drooling all over themselves about it.Special Features:
- ClaireDined on 9/9/2014Lobster under done. Menu limited, although creative.Special Features:
- Slightly DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/8/2014Stoic is worth checking out - great location and great service staff. I'm hoping our experience was an anomaly because we want to love it as much as we love Rioja and Euclid. Our food was grossly under-seasoned; to the point of being tastelessly bland. We're going to give it one more shot though, Jennifer's reputation is too good for us to write it off after one bad experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Tastes, Pricey.Marte40Dined on 9/7/2014A smallish restaurant, with a sort of weird seating set up. We were seated very close to another group, which was not great. The food, however, was all wonderful. I just wish there was more of it, especially when you consider the prices. The crudo/raw items were outstanding, but you get one scallop for $16. Loved the fried clams, but thought the sauce with it was rather bland. The heirloom tomato salad was divine, again very small. Last, the lobster rolls were so chock full of fresh lobster, but dainty in size. Everything is a la carte, so you are forced to order more, pay more, to get a complete meal. Not sure if I would go back myself, but would recommend it to real seafood lovers with some money to spend.Special Features:
- $.50 for more Ketchup?papa4cmpkDined on 9/6/2014Despite the hype, just another average Denver seafood restaurant. Lobster roll was ok but compromised by too much overbearing sauce. Fried oyster sandwich was far from what you get at the better NOLA restaurants; oysters should be crunchy not soft. I don't mind being charged $3.25 per fresh oyster if they are special; the Stoics were good but not special. And, finally I don't mind paying high prices for excellent food, but don't charge me 50 cents for an extra portion of ketchup for my fries. These restauranteurs are seasoned professionals with a number of good places in town; in this instance, they cheapen themselves.
- A Lodo FinddenverlocaldiningDined on 9/4/2014Fresh fish and the best oysters in Denver. The food is artfully prepared and the wait staff are engaging and very helpful. The people here work like crazy to take care of you and see that your experience and meal are first rate. This is about as close to a true neighborhood bistro as Denver can achieve. First rate always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot spotSamLUVIPDined on 9/3/2014It's definitely a new hot spot with plenty of people watching, and the new Union Station to ooh and aah over as its home. The cocktails steal the show, and the raw bar is stellar. The cooked dishes fall a bit short, with the lobster roll's lobster being overpowered by seasoning and other ingredients and the clam chowder just being so-so. Also, the bathroom is shared with all the other bars and restaurants and Union Station traffic which I imagine will be troublesome come Saturday night or in the long-term.Special Features:
- Stoic and Genuine is a keeperskinnyjeansDined on 9/3/2014I am newly into oysters and this was my first time out by myself without my oyster gurus. Luis my waiter was very understanding of that and made some great recommendations after asking me my preferences. I felt well taken care of and will definitely be a regular as my oyster fascination blossoms. Thanks!Special Features:
- Louis my Love!Love2louisDined on 9/3/2014Not only was the food amazing, but so was the service. Louis, our waiter, played a huge part! He made the whole group feel very comfortable being there and allowed them to have a fabulous time! Thank you again for such a great time. I have already recommended this restaurant to five people in the past 24 hours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experiencefrequentdinersDined on 9/2/2014Dinner on our anniversary, service was extraordinary, after our entree he brought a comp dessert along with a signed card from the whole staff. Great experience. We shall returnSpecial Features:
- Anniversary LunchllrDENVIPDined on 9/1/2014We went on Labor Day (packed!) for our anniversary lunch. Had a reservation so no problem being sat. Adam was our waiter and steered us through wines and food. Had a wonderful time. Get the big eye tuna tartare, really good. Oysters very fresh. Sardines and uni we recommend too. Will be back!Special Features:
- Yummy but priceysmarie23Dined on 8/30/2014All the reviews that say this place is yummy but pricey are right...BUT it's totally worth it. Yes, the portions are small but the food is amazing and the ambience has a great vibe. The servers are knowledgeable and friendly and help you with different food and wine pairings. We had the crab legs and heirloom tomato salad (amazing) with the cornbread and oysters. Then a flight of 3 pies-in-a-jar for dessert...won't disappoint. The german chocolate one is unbelievable. It's perfect for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- S&G a contendersusanVIPDined on 8/30/2014I was thrilled with my visit to S&G. Our waiter, Matthew was the perfect mix of culinary and wine knowledge, not obsequious, yet never missed a thing. The sea urchin crudo was sublime in texture and sauces and paired nicely with the figs The shaved salmon sandwich with red onions and fresh bread was a new twist. And, the crown to the evening was the lemon meringue pie in a jar was out of this world. Energy was perfect for a hot spot - not too frenetic and the mix of people was refreshing. A WINNER!Special Features:
- RenaGirlDined on 8/30/2014We already had Stoic & Genuine on our radar so when my friend (who is much a food snob as I am) from Texas came up we made this restaurant our 1st priority. True to the Chef Owners legends, they did not disappoint!Special Features:
- OutstandingJeremyVIPDined on 8/29/2014A special - Alaskan halibut mousse in squash blossoms - was among the best dishes I've had this year. So delicious and creative. Oysters were fantastic, and the granitas are a fun addition. All food executed well, presented beautifully. Topping it all off was our server, who was extremely knowledgable, a great listener, and graceful and attentive. Friendly crowd in the restaurant, too, which is always a treat in a crowded spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charging for bread is ridiculousDenverdinerDined on 8/28/2014Tasty seafood, slow service but nice. I understand a la carte but basic bread rolls for $$ feels pretentious. Beautiful space. Pretty kid friendly.
- Cooll but commercialLuckymanVIPDined on 8/27/2014This is a plus for Union Staation but we found the whole experience more about S&G then us. They wanted 2 turns on table so everything fast not relaxing. Portion size small (except for chowder, which was great). Food was prett but nothing amazing; solid but not very special. Got the feeling we were more a cash concern than creating a great dining experience. A bit of style over substance. Still early in its life so hope it evolves to be more customer-centricSpecial Features:
- Quick SeatingDutch6Dined on 8/27/2014The long line at the door for lunch made us nervous about a long wait but as soon as we gave the hostess our name we were seated. Thanks - "OpenTable."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place + great foodcmartyDined on 8/25/2014love the atmosphere and branding, food was amazing - small portions but good for trying several different thingsSpecial Features:
- neat placeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/25/2014i liked the ambiance and the restaurant setting a lot. We had oysters which were great, but the tuna tartare was quite disappointing as it had very little taste to it although it was nice tuna. Fried clams were ordinary. We had ordered corn bread but it never came so can't review that. Not really any main dishes to have other than a Maine lobster and one or two other things, but small plates are fine with me though I think a couple of other options might be good.The space is cool with outdoor dining, but if I want good oysters and salad and perhaps a little more I would go to McCormicks. Foodwise that is. For a happening place, this is a better option.Special Features:
- Small portions for priceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014The food was tasty but the portions were beyond small. For the price point with everything ala carte, I don't feel like it was a good value. We ate there for a company lunch and all four of us were disappointed in the portions/price.Special Features:
- Excellent Seafood for DenverKmarDined on 8/24/2014I don't often seek out seafood restaurants for dinner because of the limited selection but S&G is a place I would return to! Overall, excellent food and drink quality as well as a top notch location. The particular server we had didn't have the best attitude as she argued with us over a gift card working in their machine but this was an individual experience and didn't seem to be a trend for the other staff members.Special Features:
- Wait staff outdoes himselfOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/24/2014The waiter clearly outdid himself. It was really refreshing to have a waiter who knew the menu, and could make solid recommendations, including the cocktail menu. He was spot on with every drink he picked for me. the food was outstanding The atmosphere was greatSpecial Features:
- More a tapas bar than a restaurantKhory36VIPDined on 8/24/2014The crudo menu was outstanding, however I think that this is more a great bar that you grab a couple of small plates and not a place to have dinner. I was under the impression that it was a new hot restaurant with a menu that was an exciting twist on seafood, so I took my grandmother for her birthday. The restaurant was much more of a tapas bar. I thought that the crudos were awesome, creative and tasty but it was really a raw bar. Needless to say it was not the appropriate place to take my grandmother, but girl's night out should be fun next time.Special Features:
- Good not greatLeck7VIPDined on 8/23/2014I was really excited to try this restaurant especially because their other restaurants are so great but I was left saying to my husband that it was good not great, and that I don't need to go back again, and he agreed. The portions were small and pricy for what you receive, in fact after my $25 tuna first course and $20 lobster roll second plate I ordered a heirloom salad and cornbread because I was still hungry (I'm a small woman). Then I ordered a strawberry pie in a jar for dessert which was tiny and simply put not that good (they gave us large soup spoons to eat it with which was too large to actually fit in the tiny jar). Overall the food was good, just not great, which is what I was expecting. I guess I was just disappointed.Special Features:
- Great service & fun atmosphereangelalundDined on 8/23/2014We had a great time at Stoic & Genuine! The atmosphere is fun, especially being in the beautiful and impressive new Union Station. The service was friendly and attentive. We all really enjoyed the raw bar and the rest of our meal was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive and not tastyJohnVIPDined on 8/23/2014You are definitely paying to be in the "new" area. Food was not worth the price. My wife and I each had the lobster sandwich ($20/eacch for a large lump of lobster on ONE piece of toast). Also the watermelon salad was made with melons that were too soft. If you like throwing money down the drain in order to be in the new hip spot, then this is your place. Not meant for foodies. Definitely not going back.
- I was hoping for greatMrsSVIPDined on 8/22/2014Coming from being in the industry myself, I try and not be too critical. Both Hosts (possibly managers?) were very friendly, professional, well dressed, and attentive while waiting to be sat. However, service was less than par and food wasn't spectacular. Corn was burnt and Server forgot both another side and glass of wine we ordered on two separate occasions. But that was just one experience and it could of been an off night. I plan on returning to get a better experience.Special Features:
- Very fresh, very deliciousDaveVIPDined on 8/22/2014The food was wonderful. We had tuna tartare for an appetizer, which was served with avocado tempura. Excellent; very fresh tuna, and the avocado tempura was delicious complement. We both had lobster rolls, which were simply perfect. We each had a side dish: summer bean salad for me, potato salad for my companion. Both were delicious and beautifully seasoned. It's a pretty and interesting space. The service was first rate. I'll be back!Special Features:
- Small portions and over pricedIzzyVIPDined on 8/20/2014This was our 2nd visit. Last time we dined here, we thought the food was good, service top notch, but portions small and $$$. We could abide with that, but this time, our server tried to push items for us to order. We had a long wait for drinks, our server implored to order appetizers so our table didn't look empty.! He didn't offer us an appetizer as he should have! Then, he tried to have us order several sides and salads even though we knew what we wanted. It was uncomfortable and I feel it was done only to inflate the bill.We all had Martini's in those cute little glasses that were overpriced The wine pour was so tiny we thought it was a half glass. There are many excellent restaurants in Denver so no need to come back to this.
- TERRIBLEr2d2Dined on 8/20/2014Clams were gritty--I was picking sand out of my teeth; redfish was tasteless and thin, gnarly pieces, side of crawfish was blah ; crab salads were underwhelming, very little crab or flavor. Only the cornbread was passable.
- Great locationTedVDined on 8/20/2014Excellent location in the newly remodeled Union Station. Valet parking out front is convenient, at least on a weeknight, but it's $10 even WITH a validation. One note is that they do not have a private restroom - you actually have to walk across the main lobby of Union Station to use the public restroom. Not very convenient. The food, however, is excellent. Smaller plates, a la carte style. Everything we tried, from the tartare starters, to the unique salads, and the lobster roll, even the house-made sodas were very tasty. Prices are higher for such small portions, but seems to be as expected for a place that flies in fresh seafood every day. Recommended for date nights and smaller groups, inside or on the patio.Special Features:
- Great SeafoodFoodieFanVIPDined on 8/20/2014So enjoyed outdoor dining at Union Station S & G. with my son and daughter. Between the three of us, we ordered lobster roll, halibut in a clam chowder and a burger for lunch- we all enjoyed our selections. Our waiter was knowledgeable and attentive and I would certainly return here.Special Features:
- laceyyoungDined on 8/20/2014Excellent food and service, only drawback was it is small, had to wait 20 minutes past our reservation time and for just 2 peopleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood Hit!SamoDined on 8/19/2014We all 4 had seafood which was great. We enjoyed an early evening outside. Union Station is a show piece to enjoy and S and G was a wonderful compliment.Special Features: