48 Temple Place
Boston, MA 02111Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://stoddardsfoodandale.com/
- Phone: 6174260048x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Lunch: Thursday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Brunch: Sunday 10:30am-3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jason Fiset
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: We are pleased to accommodate private and semi-private events during our lunch, dinner and bar hours. Our private room holds up to 35 seated guests, or 70 standing guests for a cocktail reception. We also offer several options for semi-private events.
A word from Stoddard's
Welcome to Stoddard's Fine Food & Ale - a late 1800s style pub featuring craft beer and classic cocktails, paired with a menu of early American fare.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Stoddard's reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
vibrant bar scene (25)neighborhood gem (19)fit for foodies (16)good for groups (15)late-night find (11)special occasion (10)notable wine list (8)hot spot (8)romantic (5)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Always DeliciousSaimaDined on 8/27/2014I've gone to Stoddards at least 20 times for drinks but only 2 for food and both times were delicious. They have amazing seasonal dishes such as the venison in the winter proscuitto wrapped rabbit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Drinks!fattyboombattyDined on 8/22/2014Loved the service and everything about Stoddard's! Will dine again in the future.Special Features:
- DaveDined on 8/2/2014Great dinner for a party of 6. Excellent food and a very good beer selection.Special Features:
- Great time; they were awesome87FooderDined on 7/31/2014Asked for a weird reservation, time accommodations, lots of people, etc. They worked it all out like true professionals. The beer was great, the food was outstanding, and I can't wait to go back. Great bar / restaurant / ambience thing.Special Features:
- Drinks and dinner in BostonMyHolidayTop10Dined on 7/30/2014Stoddard's has a wonderful long list of great beers to go with a fine menu of delicious entrees. What an amazing massive bar and line of taps. Great staff!Special Features:
- Great looking barSnipsDined on 7/26/2014They have a great cocktail and beer list. They even crush their ice with just a mallet in small batches. Food was great too. Loved the taste of the linguine and clam sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointingleanneelizabethDined on 7/19/2014The decor is pretty fun, and I liked the music. The food was way too overpriced and my steak wasn't hot when I received it. The waitress had issues with eye contact, and we waited forever for the check and to pay the check. Not worth it.
- Old School Cocktails + Great FoodMikeTrapDined on 6/27/2014Had a great, casual meal here before a show in the city. Cool room, great drinks, basic food with a twist was done very well, and the service was excellent. Can't really ask for more than that.Special Features:
- StoddardsJvachDined on 6/24/2014Our table was already set up when we arrived. The food was delicious. The beer selection is great. Be prepared to order before you want anything because you never know when the waiter will be back, or how long it will take to come out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cider!KellyHDined on 6/24/2014As a West Country Brit I drink more cider than beer, and was thrilled with the bar tender's recommendation of Crispin Hard Apple Cider. Light, refreshing, and very good value. My cheese burger was excellent, cooked just as I'd asked, with onion rings and fries. My husband's crab and lobster risotto was light and flavourful. There were a number of large parties at the bar, so Stoddard's isn't the place for a romantic meal, but I'd definitely recommend it for a lively atmosphere, a great range of ciders and beers, and good quality bar style food.Special Features:
- not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/20/2014if you are looking for a gastro pub, this is not the right spot. fish and chips were soggy, beer list, was so so and atmosphere was lacking. the server also forgot to get us more drinks and didn't check on us the last half hour we were there.
- Ok selection of foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/20/2014Hamburger was delightfully tasty. Good choice of beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyBirthdayDined on 6/15/2014One of my favorite places in the city. Food is fancy but atmosphere is very low key. Beer list is orgasmic. Took my dad for Father's Day. He was impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay with being just okayBruceDined on 6/13/2014Nice full length bar -- greeter was far too terse -- pub food. Kinda' like a watered down Durgin Park without the great eats. My guess is that people go there to drink. Period.
- Almost amazing!Dana92484Dined on 6/7/2014My husband could rave forever about the beer list so keep it up!! The food was delicious!! My only criticism was the fondue. I'm cutting carbs, and I swear on yelp it showed vegetables came with the fondue, but alas they didn't, but you should add them!!! I want to eat cheese too!!Special Features:
- Good beer, expensive foodPatriotDined on 6/7/2014Went here for pre-Opera House dinner. Had a reservation, but were guided downstairs. Asked to sit at the bar so we could watch the Belmont. Bartender very friendly and helpful with samples of unfamiliar beer. I had a burger, which was fine, and the hubby had the fish and chips with the "famous" tater tots. Food was fine but $24 for frozen fish and chips? Wish we had sat at upstairs bar, looked like it had many more taps.
- Can't Say EnoughdiscodogmanDined on 5/30/2014So good we went twice on our brief trip to Boston. I tried both the rabbit and the duck, each dish was among the very best I've had. If I'm ever in Boston again I'll go back.Special Features:
- Great experienceMaryDined on 5/30/2014I had dinner and drinks on a Friday night. Loved the atmosphere and the food and service were great. Nice find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last minute treatKarismaDined on 5/24/2014We were looking for a place to try during Boston Calling so we went here. The bar was perfect. We ate quickly and it was delish. I liked the gnocchi and my friend's beef tartar was good as well. I liked the beer selection which is what they really know.Special Features:
- great food, amazing onion ringsworldtravellerVIPDined on 5/23/2014everyone ordered burgers, the second time we went in one week it was just that good. cannot say enough good things about this place. what a hidden gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChrysalidsDined on 5/23/2014Great tap list, nice atmosphere, waitress wasn't the most attentive, but also could have been super busy with other tables. Food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud, but goodJohnStewartMillDined on 5/20/2014Good food and plenty of drinks to choose from. Only downside was that it was quite loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- experience varies wildlyworldtravellerVIPDined on 5/20/2014First time we had a terrible waitress, forgot to fill out waters, did not get orders right. Mixed up drinks and served the wrong beers... on our Second visit we had Lena and she was terrific.
- The following 343 reviews are from the Stoddard's reviews archive.
- Perfect Before a ShowOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/16/2014We finally found a great place to go before a show at the Opera House!! Great historical building with interesting decor. The food was portioned well for dining before an outing. We ate our whole meal with no guilt about leaving leftovers. The service was attentive but not intrusive. Great for beer AND wine.
- Great food not so great hostOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/15/2014There was a group of 5 of us and we went there around 6 on a Thursday night. Even though there were several tables available, they sat us at a corner table with stools which was not nice. We asked to be seated at one of the tables but were told that those were reserved. even though they were available until we left. The food was pretty good and the server was nice.Special Features:
- Lack of oomphOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/13/2014Noisy for a Tuesday night, I cannot imagine this place on Friday. Quite extensive beer and cocktail list. Food lacked oomph. There is a problem when you order rabbit wrapped in bacon, and still is bland. So was the braised short rib, it lacked some flavors from the reduction.Special Features:
- Great food and ambiancewestiboyDined on 5/10/2014A group of us ate here before the ballet, and it's become a frequent spot for us. The food's all very good, the Rabbit and the Duck (which I had this time) are exceptional and a somewhat unusual menu item. They've reduced their cocktail menu somewhat, but the bartenders are very knowledgeable and can make almost anything you can think of.Special Features:
- Saturday lunchbostonbornDined on 5/10/2014the food was very good, we arrived at 11:30 just after opening and were the only people there. Tater tots were wonderfulSpecial Features:
- Great food, even better cocktailsGiskardDined on 5/9/2014I love Stoddard's. Their menu not too extensive, but what they serve is tasty and most certainly not your standard "pub food". I like them most for their cocktails though. They have a huge cocktail menu with some very clever recipes. Certainly recommended!Special Features:
- DisappointedmmdinersDined on 5/8/2014Expected better based on reviews. Service was horrible, may have been due to understaffing. Waitress was rushed every time she came to our table. Twice, after we asked one question , she walked away before we could order. As for the food, my $19 chicken pie entree came in a small soup bowl. Tiniest portion I have ever been served. Wife's hamburger was ordered medium and arrived as a hockey puck. There are lots of good pubs around Boston, no need to go back to Stoddards
- A bit noisy, but solid foodDuckshovelDined on 5/6/2014Always a good time and solid food choices. Great beer list too. Service was a little slow this past time, but I'll be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stoddard's reviewcapeshoreDined on 4/26/2014My boyfriend and I went to Stoddard's for his birthday dinner after seeing the Blue Man Group and were charmed by the ambiance, the beautiful bar, the cocktails with handhipped ice and the good food. My salmon was wonderful. A tad salty but excellent with perfectly cooked and seasoned lentils. My boyfriend trained as a professional chef and pronounced the food wonderful. We ate on the main level which is dominated by the beautiful bar imported from West Yorkshire. On reserving the table I did request a B-day cupcake for my boyfriend. That didn't happen, but it was just as well. We're in our 50s and all the other diners looked 30 and under. No need to shine a spotlight on fact one of us just turned a year older!Special Features:
- Good drinks, but that's itOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/23/2014Come for the great cocktails and good beer list. But prepared to be disappointed by truly awful table service and lackluster food. I've eaten here three times and have been underwhelmed every time. Drinks only from now on.Special Features:
- Excellent local barKar33Dined on 4/23/2014Stoddards had a great atmosphere and vibrant crowd. There was an after-work drinks crew but also a dinner (pre-show) crew. The architecture and history of the bar was interesting and intriguing. It was a great birthday meal. Loved the drink list. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday dinner!BridgeDined on 4/19/2014We had a great table reserved for us for my boyfriend's birthday during a weekend stay in Boston. Everyone we dealt with was very accomodating and knowledgeable! The food was excellent. We both couldn't stop talking about what a great experience we had! I'd definitely reccommend Stoddard's!Special Features:
- Dinner before theaterPilotuh1Dined on 4/17/2014Convenient access to theater district for our group. Great selection of drinks and food options to satisfy our wide range of appetites. Service was spread thin at the lower seating area, but it was a busy night and we understood many tables juggling similar pre show time constraints. Overall excellent experience worth repeating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stoddard's rules.JazzDined on 4/11/2014Great beer selection, great food, great place. Go there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Many drinks choicesanthrogeekDined on 4/11/2014Long beverage menu, food is good standard American fare. Very busy, very loud. Close to theatre area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for Theater goersRomeyjDined on 4/6/2014Good drinks and appetizers. If you are a fan of Poutine or just curious to try it, this is a good spot for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went for brunch on Sunday,GbagsDined on 4/6/2014We went for brunch on Sunday, just before heading out to a show. It was very quiet, given the date and time of day. The brunch menu is solid and not overwhelming. I ordered sides a la carte (short rib hash, poached eggs and home fries). My friend ordered the steak and eggs. The food did take a little longer than expected, but did not require us to flag the waiter down. The home fries were $6 a la carte. That threw me a bit. Other than that the food prices were reasonable. The cocktails were great. The bill came to just over $84 for the two meals and 2 cocktails each and 1 orange juice. So overall a good experience. Spent slightly more than I would have expected.I would recommend this to a friend.