1 Main Street
Stockton, NJ 08559Neighborhood:
New Hope / Lambertville
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.stocktoninn.com/
- Phone: (609) 397-1250
- Hours of Operation:
Monday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at 5:30pm
Sunday at 4:00pm
Tuesday and Wednesday Closed
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American
- Executive Chef: Alan Heckman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live background music on weekends. Please feel free to call to inquire as to any specific dates or to make a request.
A word from Stockton Inn
The historic Stockton Inn, circa 1710, is nestled in the quaint Borough of Stockton, just a few minutes drive from the hustle and bustle of New Hope PA and Lambertville NJ. Sitting near the banks of the Delaware River, which separates New Jersey and Pennsylvania, it is a relaxing hour's drive from both NYC and Philadelphia. The Inn proudly serves American cuisine using the freshest local ingredients whenever possible. Indulge yourself in the Inn's romance and revel in her storied history. No other country inn in the region offers more! We look forward to seeing you soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Stockton Inn - Best Restaurants in New Hope / Lambertville ›
Stockton Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (9)romantic (9)special occasion (7)scenic view (4)neighborhood gem (4)great for outdoor dining (3)good for groups (1)hot spot (1)great for lunch (1)notable wine list (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Delicious dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014The dinner entrees were excellent. I had the veggie entry, which I assume was vegetarian, but did not find out for sure. It included barley, cauliflower, and mushrooms. The flavors were wonderful, the veggies cooked perfectly, and served in a creative and attractive manner. The mushrooms were toasted or roasted in a way I had never seen, making them crunchy and delicious. The other entres were all well prepared and delicious. The dessert we chose, a blueberry triffle, was topped with the biggest blueberries I have ever seen. The center one was the diameter of a quarter, without exaggeration. They were very delicious, which, considering that it is November, is amazing. Our only complaint was that there was a charge, we thought was rather high, to split our salads ($4) or entries ($7.50) in the kitchen. Also, the waiter was apparently required to ask if we wanted bread, rather than putting it right on the table for us. There is also a lovely room near the back of the Inn where there are a number of comfortable looking seating areas and a piano player (it was a Friday night). All said, i would certainly return, and have already recommended the restaurant to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stockton Inn review November 20144SeasonsDined on 11/20/2014For the prices we were charged expected much higher level of service. Overpriced red wine had been chilled, presentation of food average, quality of food average, no bread tray, coffee order messed up, tap water poured in our sparkling water, limited dessert options. Go for a drink in the bar by the fireplace and then leave to dine at much better restaurants. Overall this was very standard Inn food.
- Wonderful dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/15/2014Recent upgrades have brought this previous loud local hangout to a elegant fine dining gem. The upgraded menu, we had the lamb and the sea bass, and staff were a pleasure. After dinner drinks in the lounge with fire and wonderfully entertaining piano player were a perfect way to finish the evening. Looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant eveningfilippo47VIPDined on 11/9/2014Again a lovely dinner, good service, great ambiance. Only recommendation would be to offer bread at the beginning, so people can have their choice. Some may not read the fine print that says " bread only by request" and order it when it is too late.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014The food and ambiance was what we were expecting and we were all pleased. The servere seems green but good natured. There seemed to be only one server supported by the maître d' . Seemed like this was a new line of work for him. We would still recommend the Inn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still have some kinks to work outtheaterVIPDined on 10/31/2014New to the area, we were super excited when we heard they were back open again and stopped in for a bite to eat. The staff are all very nice, but brand spanking new.I'm sure they will improve over time and you won't have to butter your bread with a fork like I did. My biggest complaint is with the menu. Dishes are over priced for what they are, and you shouldn't have a policy in place that bread is available only upon request-when your main courses are $20+,that's tacky and cheap.When you bake the bread on demand like that, it comes out piping hot, but arrives too late.Also, a beet salad should have salad with it.Two beets and a small pear is a joke, not a salad, right? We will be back for a beer, but will plan on dining elsewhere.Special Features:
- filippo47VIPDined on 10/30/2014We went back to the Stockton Inn after it reopened last week and what a difference! It used to be charming and a bit tired, now it is charming and updated to the 21st Century. The new Club Room where the piano is, is cozy and inviting, the main dining room still warm and elegant, the murals restored and well lit. The kitchen ,under the supervision of Chef Heath Millett, provided us with a wonderful meal. Chilean sea bass, short ribs and the tenderloin were perfect and the presentation very elegant. Service great, though it was a slow night, therefore I cannot say how it is during busy weekends. A pleasant evening, we were glad to be back to what used to be our home away from home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PumsterDined on 10/27/2014Although the food was good not outstanding the price was set at a level for outstanding. I was with another couple with my wife and the three of them ordered the filet of tenderloin and it was a very small piece maybe four ounces for $38. Mine was the rack of lamb which lacked any discernable taste. We did try the desserts and they were not your typical types. I had the blueberry trifle my wife had the chocolate pudding and the other couple shared the apple dessert. All were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back!diamondguyDined on 10/25/2014Serversion were more than respectful, clear, and pleasant to deal with. The food was outstanding! Once the initial growing pains are behind you, this will be a wonderful find and promises to be a major stop in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ready for prime timeBigeaterDined on 10/25/2014Chaotic service. Food good but not value for dollar Best parts are ambiance including piano player. Would've been better if could get served drinks and snacks in piano area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over their headsJha1Dined on 10/25/2014Maybe 6 tables filled...service was terribly slow..waitress knew it.. Kept apologizing..maitre'd was clearing tables..understaffed.. Used to be hard to get a table on Sat nite..now empty..food was good but I wouldnt go back
- Stay AwayFoodLover22Dined on 10/25/2014Worst dining experience in 15+ years. Waited over 20 minutes for drinks and over an hour for entrees. Servers and others very stressed. Our server stopped at our table 30 minutes in and asked if we ordered yet and if so what did we order. We left after waiting for an hour for our food and went somewhere else.
- D.M.O.LonghornDined on 7/27/2014They called 10 minutes before to say the staff wasn't there and the restaurant wouldn't be open. People came from a long way-- everyone disappointed by their irresponsibility. We won't be back. They've done this sot of thing before. WATCH OUT!! Not worth the hassle David Oshinsky
- The following 140 reviews are from the Stockton Inn reviews archive.
- a family favoritejanfarVIPDined on 7/24/2014Our family has enjoyed this beautiful and historic inn for more than 50 years. The food, the ambience, the service are all impecable. I highly recommend this wonderful restaurant for every occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No substitutions allowed.DanNYDined on 7/19/2014Our dinners were of generally high quality. The crab cakes, however, seemed to have significant filler. All of us were surprised to hear from the waiter that the chef was "very strict" about not permitting substitutions. Food allergies, special dietary needs or perhaps a dislike for a particular food item may require that a patron ask for a substitution. The chef's strict attitude meant that we could either not order main courses that we would have otherwise liked or not eat the item we didn't want. Most upscale restaurants are much more accommodating to their patrons. If we consider going back, we will read the menu in advance mindful that no substitutions are permitted by the "very strict" chef. Not a policy expected at this price point.Special Features:
- Near Perfect...BobBDined on 7/18/2014I don't take the word 'perfect' lightly, but my dining experience at the Stockton Inn on Friday was, quite frankly near perfect. I met a lady friend for dinner (for the first time), and I hoped I had picked a good spot. I had made a request (in my OpenTable reservation) to be seated outside in the covered patio area. When we arrived at the restaurant, the hostess had a note next to my reservation indicating this, and we were promptly seated next to the waterfall/pond (in fact at the perfect spot). Our waitress was excellent, and the FOOD was OUTSTANDING. We shared Oysters on the half shell; she ordered Chilean sea bass; I ordered the salmon... PERFECTLY cooked and tender. THANK YOU, Stockton Inn for making our evening date PERFECT!Special Features:
- Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/13/2014Three of us were celebrating birthdays. We requested a table near the water but were told it was reserved, though reservations were made several days in advance with a note about that table. During the entire evening, the table was vacant. The table we were seated at had no plates, utensils or napkins until suddenly the food arrived. Rolls and butter were put on the table at the same time as our dinners. For a restaurant of that quality, it seems the staff could use sufficient training in order to best serve the customers.Special Features:
- Great Food!Jamazon17Dined on 7/12/2014The food was fabulous! Great outdoor seating area. Couldn't really hear the piano player over the sound of the waterfall but had no issues hearing our dinner table conversation at all. The beet salad & scallop dinner were very good. Looking forward to trying other things on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014We were seated inside as the patio was full and a minute after we sat down was greeted by our waiter. That was the most attentive he was during our entire meal. Service was extremely slow as our waiter spent more time attending to his tables on the patio. My salad was delivered without dressing and needed to find another waiter to ask for some. My husband's salad took 15 minutes to be delivered to him with our waiter mumbling that the kitchen was busy as an excuse. Crabcakes were overcooked and my husband was not allowed to make substitutions to his sides as he was told that would back up the kitchen but he could order them as an addition. Had to ask for water, no bread delivered. Personally, I don't think it's worth the price.
- A Wonderful Dining ExperienceDenniBDined on 7/5/2014On our anniversary weekend in July 2014 with no plans; we found ourselves in the Lambertville-New Hope area and stopped in few different restaurants, but decided to keep looking. I did an Open Table search for the area and the Stockton Inn popped up; made a reservation for 30 minutes later and was overwhelmed with the whole experience. Our server was excellent, the food awesome and a beautiful to day to eat in the romantic courtyard. Highly recommend!!Special Features:
- Always a Pleasure & But Now Closed?kwinVIPDined on 7/4/2014We had a wonderful meal here under the "newer" owners, but found it closed about 3 weeks later. The upgrades had been extensive without eroding the historic inn, including the "storied" wishing well of Broadway ballad and itinerant artist murals that have been gracing the dining room walls for decades. This place is wonderful in any season -- outdoor dining or indoor by the fireplace -- and I hope it reopens soon with the same ambiance and great food and service. I hope the new chef brings back the "scallop boat" (beautiful scallops in a zucchini) of which I still dreamSpecial Features:
- filippo47VIPDined on 6/25/2014Good dinner as always. Service a little spotty, as we were seated inside ( at our request ) and all the wait staff was taking care of the patio. Fortunately Liz, the bartender. came to the rescue and waited on us. It would have been nice if somebody had been assigned to the dining room. We did feel quite abandoned for a long while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/22/2014I've been wanting to try the Stockton Inn for years and it did not disappoint. Lovely outdoor seating with waterfalls and twinkle lights and a rich history that made our experience both unique and fun! Appetizers with exceptional!!! Endive with blue cheese and the beet salad were unbelievable!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful outside diningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/21/2014We had a lovely dinner outside. The food was great, and well presented. The music was the only thing that was not good, mainly because it was too loud and during the break of the keyboard player, the music he put on was even louder. Other than that, we had a great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining & characterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014My wife and I were celebrating our anniversary and ate outdoors by the waterfall. The wait staff was young and pleasant, really trying to please. Food was excellent, my wife had the filet and I had the scallops, both were perfect. WE did note they were out of quite a few items, this was interesting, I can only guess they try to ensure freshness of all items and being in a small town, perhaps the demand is unpredictable. Overall, a very pleasant enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine for adults;keep kids at homeNewHoperVIPDined on 6/20/2014Eating at Stockton Inn for about 10 years. Before this visit, last time was fall 2013. Now have a new menu, which is quite nice and of average quality for the price. However, not kid-friendly anymore. No kids' menu! They were able to scrape together some angel hair pasta but didn't have pasta sauce so kids' had it with butter. $10 per child. Also offered bar menu, but large and not inexpensive alternatives were not for little ones!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dma1964dma1964Dined on 6/15/2014Had brunch at the Stockton Inn recently on Father's Day. The menu sounded wonderful but somehow the food missed the mark -- great intent, not so great execution. Don't get me wrong, the food was edible, just nothing special, and I wouldn't recommend people go to the restaurant for the food. What they should go there for is the ambience. They have a beautiful outdoor patio with a separate bar area for those who just want a drink. For those who prefer indoors, they have a lovely little bar inside with a pub vibe and a larger dining room with interesting hunt-inspired murals on the walls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lafayetteDined on 6/15/2014Stockton Inn was fabuloso! The food was very nicely cooked and presented, service was good and dessert was out of this world. And the building has been there for 300 years! How cool is that?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spot and good foodRussDined on 6/14/2014Charming atmosphere and the menu selection was varied. Food and service was great!Special Features:
- OutstandingbowtieollieVIPDined on 6/14/2014My first time to the Stockton Inn - I have driven past it thousands of times and finally I had the perfect occasion to visit. Wow! The food is fantastic, the service was the best I have seen in years, and the setting is just simply charming. I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- whateverDined on 6/8/2014very nice evening. We loved the water fall. blah blah blah....don't make us write long reviews!Special Features:
- A Little DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/7/2014The crab cakes were not as one reviewer wrote about - there definitely was filler. The others in our party enjoyed their meals; desserts were very good.Special Features:
- Stockton Innluv2dineDined on 6/7/2014Our dining experience at Stockton Inn was wonderful. Beautiful atmosphere, good food and great service. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great meal with one notable....JohnFDined on 6/7/2014This is our 2nd time at the Inn and it won't be our last... To start it was warmer than expected so we asked to be seated 20 minutes early but they wouldn't even though the garden was empty. A minor annoyance. Anyway, we were seated - next to the waterfall - and our dinner started. To start the service was excellent and attentive and we shared the spinach dip - truly insane - and then I had a beet salad and my wife the french onion soup. Our mains were the lamb roulade and steak and they were equally very good. We ended the night with dessert - Bourbon St and Strawberry Shortcake - and coffee. All said and done the only negative was the amount of pepper used in the soup and the sauce with my lamb - a bit too much. That's it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very disappointedsavannahtraveler2013VIPDined on 6/7/2014The Inn is a historic landmark and we (5) were hoping that our first meal there would be one of many. We sat on the front porch, which was noisy but we knew that going in, but that's part of the charm of a small NJ town. Traffic and all. Our waiter seemed a bit distant, and unfocused. 4 of the 5 meals came to us not as ordered. On of us asked for mayo, and it arrived about 10-15 minutes late with an apology. the other meals (sandwiches) were not good quality, nor tasty. We hope that something will be done to improve the situation for future diners; as we won't be back and won't recommend it to friends.
- NOGOODNOGOODDined on 6/6/2014Food was terrible bathrooms filthy hostess attitude.Special Features:
- newtownnorm1Dined on 6/5/2014A little pricey, but good quality food and professional service.Special Features:
- Enjoyable outdoor diningdiningoutDined on 6/2/2014The outdoor dining area is beautiful with twinkling lights and a waterfall! Server was attentive and cuisine delicious. New pastry chef on board. Make sure you leave room for dessert! We would definitely recommend the Stockton Inn to other dinners. Took a peek indoor and found lovely dining areas and a cute bar area too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EvenmomlikeditDined on 6/2/2014My fussy mother thoroughly enjoyed her birthday dinner at Stockton Inn. Just lovely.Special Features:
- great findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/1/2014I highly recommend this place especially for a romantic dinner, the garden / Terrace area Outback is very nice and you would never know it's there by driving past must do at least onceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.