1 Main Street
Stockton, NJ 08559Neighborhood:
New Hope / Lambertville
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.stocktoninn.com/
- Phone: 6093971250x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday and Thursday through Saturday at 6:00pm
Sunday at 4:00pm
Tuesday and Wednesday Closed
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American
- Executive Chef: Heath Millett
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live background music on weekends and holidays. Please feel free to call to inquire as to any specific dates or to make a request.
A word from Stockton Inn
The historic Stockton Inn, circa 1710, is nestled in the quaint Borough of Stockton, just a few minutes drive from the hustle and bustle of New Hope PA and Lambertville NJ. Sitting near the banks of the Delaware River, which separates New Jersey and Pennsylvania, it is a relaxing hour's drive from both NYC and Philadelphia. The Inn proudly serves American cuisine daily from 11:30am using the freshest local ingredients whenever possible. Indulge yourself in the Inn's romance and revel in her storied history. No other country inn in the region offers more! We look forward to seeing you soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Stockton Inn - Best Restaurants in New Hope / Lambertville ›
Stockton Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
93 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (64)romantic (60)special occasion (45)neighborhood gem (33)scenic view (29)fit for foodies (26)great for lunch (24)great for brunch (22)good for groups (16)late-night find (11)notable wine list (6)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- D.M.O.LonghornDined on 7/27/2014They called 10 minutes before to say the staff wasn't there and the restaurant wouldn't be open. People came from a long way-- everyone disappointed by their irresponsibility. We won't be back. They've done this sot of thing before. WATCH OUT!! Not worth the hassle David Oshinsky
- a family favoritejanfarDined on 7/24/2014Our family has enjoyed this beautiful and historic inn for more than 50 years. The food, the ambience, the service are all impecable. I highly recommend this wonderful restaurant for every occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No substitutions allowed.DanNYDined on 7/19/2014Our dinners were of generally high quality. The crab cakes, however, seemed to have significant filler. All of us were surprised to hear from the waiter that the chef was "very strict" about not permitting substitutions. Food allergies, special dietary needs or perhaps a dislike for a particular food item may require that a patron ask for a substitution. The chef's strict attitude meant that we could either not order main courses that we would have otherwise liked or not eat the item we didn't want. Most upscale restaurants are much more accommodating to their patrons. If we consider going back, we will read the menu in advance mindful that no substitutions are permitted by the "very strict" chef. Not a policy expected at this price point.Special Features:
- Near Perfect...BobBDined on 7/18/2014I don't take the word 'perfect' lightly, but my dining experience at the Stockton Inn on Friday was, quite frankly near perfect. I met a lady friend for dinner (for the first time), and I hoped I had picked a good spot. I had made a request (in my OpenTable reservation) to be seated outside in the covered patio area. When we arrived at the restaurant, the hostess had a note next to my reservation indicating this, and we were promptly seated next to the waterfall/pond (in fact at the perfect spot). Our waitress was excellent, and the FOOD was OUTSTANDING. We shared Oysters on the half shell; she ordered Chilean sea bass; I ordered the salmon... PERFECTLY cooked and tender. THANK YOU, Stockton Inn for making our evening date PERFECT!Special Features:
- Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/13/2014Three of us were celebrating birthdays. We requested a table near the water but were told it was reserved, though reservations were made several days in advance with a note about that table. During the entire evening, the table was vacant. The table we were seated at had no plates, utensils or napkins until suddenly the food arrived. Rolls and butter were put on the table at the same time as our dinners. For a restaurant of that quality, it seems the staff could use sufficient training in order to best serve the customers.Special Features:
- Great Food!Jamazon17Dined on 7/12/2014The food was fabulous! Great outdoor seating area. Couldn't really hear the piano player over the sound of the waterfall but had no issues hearing our dinner table conversation at all. The beet salad & scallop dinner were very good. Looking forward to trying other things on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014We were seated inside as the patio was full and a minute after we sat down was greeted by our waiter. That was the most attentive he was during our entire meal. Service was extremely slow as our waiter spent more time attending to his tables on the patio. My salad was delivered without dressing and needed to find another waiter to ask for some. My husband's salad took 15 minutes to be delivered to him with our waiter mumbling that the kitchen was busy as an excuse. Crabcakes were overcooked and my husband was not allowed to make substitutions to his sides as he was told that would back up the kitchen but he could order them as an addition. Had to ask for water, no bread delivered. Personally, I don't think it's worth the price.
- filippo47VIPDined on 6/25/2014Good dinner as always. Service a little spotty, as we were seated inside ( at our request ) and all the wait staff was taking care of the patio. Fortunately Liz, the bartender. came to the rescue and waited on us. It would have been nice if somebody had been assigned to the dining room. We did feel quite abandoned for a long while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/22/2014I've been wanting to try the Stockton Inn for years and it did not disappoint. Lovely outdoor seating with waterfalls and twinkle lights and a rich history that made our experience both unique and fun! Appetizers with exceptional!!! Endive with blue cheese and the beet salad were unbelievable!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful outside diningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/21/2014We had a lovely dinner outside. The food was great, and well presented. The music was the only thing that was not good, mainly because it was too loud and during the break of the keyboard player, the music he put on was even louder. Other than that, we had a great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining & characterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014My wife and I were celebrating our anniversary and ate outdoors by the waterfall. The wait staff was young and pleasant, really trying to please. Food was excellent, my wife had the filet and I had the scallops, both were perfect. WE did note they were out of quite a few items, this was interesting, I can only guess they try to ensure freshness of all items and being in a small town, perhaps the demand is unpredictable. Overall, a very pleasant enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine for adults;keep kids at homeNewHoperVIPDined on 6/20/2014Eating at Stockton Inn for about 10 years. Before this visit, last time was fall 2013. Now have a new menu, which is quite nice and of average quality for the price. However, not kid-friendly anymore. No kids' menu! They were able to scrape together some angel hair pasta but didn't have pasta sauce so kids' had it with butter. $10 per child. Also offered bar menu, but large and not inexpensive alternatives were not for little ones!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dma1964dma1964Dined on 6/15/2014Had brunch at the Stockton Inn recently on Father's Day. The menu sounded wonderful but somehow the food missed the mark -- great intent, not so great execution. Don't get me wrong, the food was edible, just nothing special, and I wouldn't recommend people go to the restaurant for the food. What they should go there for is the ambience. They have a beautiful outdoor patio with a separate bar area for those who just want a drink. For those who prefer indoors, they have a lovely little bar inside with a pub vibe and a larger dining room with interesting hunt-inspired murals on the walls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lafayetteDined on 6/15/2014Stockton Inn was fabuloso! The food was very nicely cooked and presented, service was good and dessert was out of this world. And the building has been there for 300 years! How cool is that?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spot and good foodRussDined on 6/14/2014Charming atmosphere and the menu selection was varied. Food and service was great!Special Features:
- OutstandingbowtieollieVIPDined on 6/14/2014My first time to the Stockton Inn - I have driven past it thousands of times and finally I had the perfect occasion to visit. Wow! The food is fantastic, the service was the best I have seen in years, and the setting is just simply charming. I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- whateverDined on 6/8/2014very nice evening. We loved the water fall. blah blah blah....don't make us write long reviews!Special Features:
- A Little DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/7/2014The crab cakes were not as one reviewer wrote about - there definitely was filler. The others in our party enjoyed their meals; desserts were very good.Special Features:
- Stockton Innluv2dineDined on 6/7/2014Our dining experience at Stockton Inn was wonderful. Beautiful atmosphere, good food and great service. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great meal with one notable....JohnFDined on 6/7/2014This is our 2nd time at the Inn and it won't be our last... To start it was warmer than expected so we asked to be seated 20 minutes early but they wouldn't even though the garden was empty. A minor annoyance. Anyway, we were seated - next to the waterfall - and our dinner started. To start the service was excellent and attentive and we shared the spinach dip - truly insane - and then I had a beet salad and my wife the french onion soup. Our mains were the lamb roulade and steak and they were equally very good. We ended the night with dessert - Bourbon St and Strawberry Shortcake - and coffee. All said and done the only negative was the amount of pepper used in the soup and the sauce with my lamb - a bit too much. That's it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very disappointedsavannahtraveler2013VIPDined on 6/7/2014The Inn is a historic landmark and we (5) were hoping that our first meal there would be one of many. We sat on the front porch, which was noisy but we knew that going in, but that's part of the charm of a small NJ town. Traffic and all. Our waiter seemed a bit distant, and unfocused. 4 of the 5 meals came to us not as ordered. On of us asked for mayo, and it arrived about 10-15 minutes late with an apology. the other meals (sandwiches) were not good quality, nor tasty. We hope that something will be done to improve the situation for future diners; as we won't be back and won't recommend it to friends.
- NOGOODNOGOODDined on 6/6/2014Food was terrible bathrooms filthy hostess attitude.Special Features:
- newtownnorm1Dined on 6/5/2014A little pricey, but good quality food and professional service.Special Features:
- Enjoyable outdoor diningdiningoutDined on 6/2/2014The outdoor dining area is beautiful with twinkling lights and a waterfall! Server was attentive and cuisine delicious. New pastry chef on board. Make sure you leave room for dessert! We would definitely recommend the Stockton Inn to other dinners. Took a peek indoor and found lovely dining areas and a cute bar area too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EvenmomlikeditDined on 6/2/2014My fussy mother thoroughly enjoyed her birthday dinner at Stockton Inn. Just lovely.Special Features:
- great findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/1/2014I highly recommend this place especially for a romantic dinner, the garden / Terrace area Outback is very nice and you would never know it's there by driving past must do at least onceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner by the water fallBerylVIPDined on 5/31/2014WE had a lovely dinner outside the Inn by the water fall and pond. The server and "server under training" were excellent--knowledgeable, friendly, efficient. The food was excellent.Special Features:
- Quiet Gem on the DelawareTomLDined on 5/31/2014This old inn on the Delaware River in Stockton N.J. is a delightful place to dine with a couple or group. There were 9 of us for our recent visit and the cocktails were excellent, I had a charming summer beer, and the food was liked throughout the group. I started with a quite good version of clams casino and then had the pan seared diver scallops over a herb risotto cake with green and white asparagus. This was an excellent dish. Others had sea bass, salmon, the pasta special as well as there tavern fare chicken pot pie. All were well receive, save the pot pie which while good did not quite match a more famous version in south Jersey. Most of us enjoyed one of the homemade ice creams and sorbets that the new pastry chef concocted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our First VisitThegoldengirlsDined on 5/29/2014When my friend & I decided to celebrate another friend's 80th birthday, we wanted to do something special. So we (all seniors) decided to go on an adventure. I randomly picked the Inn and made reservations for the three of us. Not knowing what to expect and really not knowing where the Inn was located the day was quite exciting. Getting lost was all part of our adventure and the scenery we came across was very pretty. When we arrived, we were quite pleased and very surprised in regards to all the history the Inn beholds. The women that greeted us were very pleasant, our server was very good, and our lunch was OUTSTANDING. The presentation was beautiful and the food was delicious. Thank you,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely eveningfilippo47VIPDined on 5/27/2014As always consistently excellent food, great service, beautiful presentation. Home away from home for us.Special Features:
- Highly RecommendedGlennDined on 5/27/2014Great food, excellent service, friendly knowledgeable staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/24/2014We have been to The Stockton Inn multiple times. Usually the food is hit or miss but this time it was absolutely delicious. The service at the bar and for dinner was slow. However the food made that more tolerable but hopefully the service will be better next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good all roundSuzyQDined on 5/24/2014We shared a delicious starter, and then both had fish- perfectly cooked. Interesting flavors. Not overwhelming to the food. The dessert which included things like Guinness ice cream- seriously good!! There were multiple things on the menus I'd like to have tried and sounded appetizing. Would go back. Lots of outdoor eating possibilities- on the front historic porch or lots of room at the back behind the inn. Inside also nice. Overall a good experience thanks!Special Features:
- Gave it a tryWoofus25Dined on 5/24/2014I heard there were new owners, and that it got mixed reviews. But I thought I'd decide for myself. The new owners need to be on site, managing this young, scattered, un-attentive staff who could care less if your experience is pleasant or if you ever come back. I won't.
- Not GreatHunterdonDined on 5/22/2014The food was not exceptional and the service was very slow. But you can't beat the charm of the place.
- rhotisVIPDined on 5/19/2014Weak cobb salad...main thing holding back this ratingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticLovelyTimesDined on 5/11/2014Best deserts ever and amazing romantic dinner ! Lovely. Will come again and again!Special Features:
- Unacceptable ServiceNJfamilyDined on 5/11/2014After waiting 90 minutes for our entrees (not to mention a number of other problems), I was told it was due to my misbehaved children. Not only is that an absurd excuse (and one of many I was given) it is a false statement. Putting all bias aside, my children were quiet, well mannered, and polite. Not one person in that dining room would have disagreed. Give me poor service, attitude, excuses, whatever it is you need to convince yourself you have a well run establishment, but don't use my children (or any children for that matter) as an excuse for poor service. A formal complaint is being compiled and on its way.
- Pleasant surpriseFrankDined on 5/11/2014Food and service were outstanding. Cod fish was fresh and tender. Lobster rolls were great and generous. Will come againSpecial Features:
- Excellent service, charming placeFussydinerDined on 5/11/2014The food here ranges from pretty good to very good but I wouldn't say it's exceptional. The reason I brought my boyfriend here for his birthday was that, in addition to the food being good, the atmosphere is really charming (old colonial inn; gorgeous outdoor patio in season) and the service is excellent: helpful, knowledgeable, competent. My appetizer of clams casino was fresh and delicious; my boyfriend's onion soup was good but not the best ever. My trout with horseradish cream sauce and spaetzle was an unusual combo but I scarfed it up; I tasted my boyfriend's sirloin steak and it was the best I've had in years, actually. The few dessert choices this evening were traditional but our cheesecake and chocolate mousse were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.