1224 H Street NE
Washington, DC 20002Neighborhood:
H Street Corridor
AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.stickyricedc.com/
- Phone: 2023977655
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Asian
- Executive Chef: Matt Digangi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Order catering pans of any noodle dishes or your favorite sushi. Can accommodate large orders with sufficient notice.
- Private Party Facilities: Warm and friendly space with capacity for 100 people standing or 40 people seated. Various combinations of food offerings. We also have a chefs tasting table (Omakase) which is perfect for intimate gatherings of up to 10 people.
- Private Party Contact: Joey Belcher and Mark Groeschel 8776262050
- Entertainment: Tuesday Night Karaoke Speed Bingo (Blingo)Thursdays
A word from Sticky Rice
With its charming atmosphere and bad attitude you won"t find anything quite like it. Our specialty is our fresh sushi bar. With rolls like g.i.jane, shiitake happens and Godzirra, how could you go wrong? Our huge bowls of noodles will satisfy big and small. Sandwiches, large salads, and a selection of other entrees round out the menu. We also feature a kids menu! Don't forget the (soon to be famous) bucket of tater tots with our special tot sauce. Sticky Rice, established last century has been rolling on and on. Sticky Rice serves up an unusual mix of American, Pan-Asian entrees in a friendly, inexpensive and inviting atmosphere. Spring rolls, potstickers, sushi, noodles and edamame (steamed soy beans) are simple and standard. Lots of choices for vegans and vegetarians!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sticky Rice reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (28)good for groups (26)fit for foodies (23)hot spot (18)great for lunch (16)late-night find (15)vibrant bar scene (14)special occasion (8)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (4)great for brunch (3)romantic (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- loud, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014This restaurant is loud, poor service, food is mediocre. Had to ask several times to get appetizer; food did not come for all of our table at once.Special Features:
- GReAT Food, HORRIBLE ServiceyumyumyumDined on 8/22/2014Had a reservation for 7:30, and were seated promptly. It wasn't all that busy. Seemed like there were plenty of servers/bussers running around. No one even offered us water for the first 15 minutes. We had to flag someone down, and still waited. In the meantime confused servers/bussers came by twice trying to deliver food to our table - mind you we hadn't ordered anything yet and were still waiting for water. When we finally ordered, the food came quickly and it was delicious (sweet potato tots, shrimp salad, shrimp curry, and another noodle bowl). I'd go back for the food, but I'd sit at the bar or maybe on one of the lower levels to see if that gets more attention from the staff.Special Features:
- Pretty Good!FatmanJonseyDined on 8/16/2014The food and the atmosphere is usually pretty great though the Curry Fried Rice this time around was somewhat burnt (please keep an eye on this as Curry Fried Rice is one of my favorite dishes). The Yum Yum was stellar as always and the Tator Tots were perfectly golden brown. However, I was not pleased when other diners brought some loud and obnoxious kids to the facility and the server did not say anything to the parents. This can make for a very noisy experience on an otherwise quiet lunch date but this can also cause a server to drop their plates (which almost happened). Of note, it'd also be nice if the chairs had cushions or were a little more comfortable.Special Features:
- Good time for a party of 8n0000dlesDined on 8/15/2014Had a great time with a party of 8 on a Friday evening. We tried several different kinds of sushi and everyone really enjoyed their food. Our server was friendly and fun (John? I think?). He brought a complimentary dessert because he suspected it was a special occasion, and then brought a second one with a candle when we confirmed we were celebrating a birthday. He messed something up with splitting the bill in the end (which can be very hard to do with 8 people), but before we were aware of the problem he came up with a solution that included a discount and several drink tokens. It wasn't a big deal-- and we took those drink tokens to the bar after our meal and continued hanging out :-)Special Features:
- Terrible service!DCO3VIPDined on 8/12/2014I always like the food at Sticky Rice but the service is horrible. After waiting 10 minutes to be helped, the waiter took individual trips to do small things (get a drink, bring an appetizer to the neighboring table, get chopsticks, etc), frequently just hanging out in the back. It took nearly two hours for a table of 4 to have lunch when the restaurant was nearly entirely empty. The service is honestly some of the worst in the entire city - apparently they believe it is our privilege to eat there!
- Love this place.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/8/2014Our waiter Eric was appropriately attentive and helpful. The tater tots are an amazing sauce delivery device. Eclectic feel. Yummy sushi. The acoustics made for some loudness, but the noise level is not unbearable. Great place for lunch (and dinner). Less crowded for lunch :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LindsDined on 8/1/2014Think fried food. Everything from the sushi to the apps are fried
- DabassVIPDined on 7/30/2014The martini lychee was so gooooooooooood!! and the my meal of mongolian beef and rice was great!Special Features:
- Surprisingly goodB4theaterVIPDined on 7/25/2014We ate at Sticky Rice before a Fringe performance at Atlas. The sushi was well prepared, fresh and very good. The signature bowls of noodles with other things were just okay. Nothing really wrong with them, just not on a par with the sushi. The tempura shrimp were basically just deep-fried shrimp. Again, okay, but not classic. The ambience was fairly basic and the music was on the loud side, but well worth it for the fresh fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time as alwayskt331VIPDined on 7/24/2014Enjoyed trying a few new things and some favorites. Always have a good time at Sticky Rice!Special Features:
- Over RatedGenDiva712Dined on 7/22/2014I heard a lot about this place so I had very high expectations, sadly I was pretty disappointed overall. The sticky balls were good but everything else was just ok. It is clearly more about the hype and the location in downtown DC. There is way better sushi in Columbia and it's cheaper and more authentic.Special Features:
- Decent Food, Lousy ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/22/2014Horrible service. How do you forget to bring a child's food out?
- My new stapleyummytummyDined on 7/12/2014Very much enjoyed my visit here! It was my second time going. I was early to my reservation, but they sat us anyway. The tables were much too close together, and I was jammed up against someone at the table behind me. A larger person would have had difficulties. (Last visit I was in a booth - a much better experience). The music was turned up a bit loud downstairs, but that didn't trip us up badly. The food was very tasty - we got the nigiri combo and the salmon was super smooth and all the fish was a good temperature. Our waiter was outstanding. Very personable and attentive to our needs. The mango sticky rice for dessert was pretty decent, and my friend was happy with his pie from nearby partner Dangerously Delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed in the serviceNEfoodieDined on 7/11/2014I always look forward to the food here, but was disappointed by the service during my most recent visit. Not only were we asked to move to another table after one dish was already served (we didn't end up moving because they were seating a group at the table the waitress asked us to move to) but then we repeatedly had to ask about the status of one of the signature rolls which was finally delivered to the table after the rest of the group was finished eating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ThomasDined on 7/10/2014The wait staff and kitchen staff were out of synch. When our dinner arrived, half the order was missing. We had to request the missing items three times, and it took over an hour before they were delivered. The food was so-so, but did not live up to the expecations I had for the restaurant.
- Little place on the blockMoniqueDined on 6/28/2014It was a little small but luckily not too busy. I was advised to make reservations because sometimes the wait can be hours long. The portions were small but still filling. I shared a sushi roll (6 pieces) and a sesame chicken rice bowl with 1 other person. It was just enough food. Prices are great and I would definitely go back but only for lunch or an early dinner.Special Features:
- delicious!dcvgnDined on 6/26/2014Went here for my brother's birthday and everyone loved it -- there wasn't a dud appetizer or entree! Huge portions, nicely spiced, and a good amount of protein (so it's not all just noodles and rice). Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good staple on H streetOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/20/2014Sticky Rice has been around for a while on H street. Its a solid bet for a casual/quick dinner. Its quite casual, and food is good. Large menu, plenty of options. Sushi, noodle bowls etc. Food is good, portions are HUGE. We liked it, apart it being a bit too loud for easy conversation.Special Features:
- Neighborhood JapaneseBethesdaresidentVIPDined on 6/7/2014A neighborhood dive, Sticky Rice is far from being noteworthy Japanese fare. The sushi was fine, but not outstanding. Service was perfunctory with a bit of attitude. Decor is reminiscent of WWII's Tokyo Rose. I'd go often if I lived around the corner, otherwise there are better places to go for Japanese food and sushi.
- fun and deliciouscadc11VIPDined on 6/1/2014love this place! snap, crackle, pop roll is so, so good.Special Features:
- virtualjustinOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/30/2014At the last minute, I was able to book a table for my group of eight. The staff was extraordinarily accommodating. Our server offered us some great ideas from the beer/drinks menu (e.g. "that's a bit hoppy," "this one is great with that dish," etc.) as well as offered up some menu customizations. Our food was fantastic and service excellent. I was very happy that we ended up at Sticky Rice for our gathering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, mediocre serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/27/2014Our server was pleasant enough, but he was just never around. We all ran out of water and ended up having to grab a bottle and fill up our water ourselves. Which of course, we can do, because we are adults, but it's still not exactly what you expect when you go out to eat. The food was delicious, as always.Special Features:
- Fun spot to celebrate and hang outnessaDined on 5/24/2014I have been coming to Sticky Rice with friends for a while, drawn in by the bucket of tater tots and special dipping sauce, sushi roll options and noodle bowls. I decided to come this time with friends to celebrate a friend's birthday and it was great. The waitress was very friendly. We ordered the gamut of regular tater tots, sweet potato tots, sushi rolls, vegetarian noodle bowl, sashimi combo and a very spicy Singapore noodle special. Everyone finished their plates/bowls. This time we ordered more tots since usually we end up fighting over the bucket and the special sauce.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/19/2014Our server was not on her A-game. She forgot my drink order and barely checked on us.
- Won't returnOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/13/2014Terribel service. Our group of 10, that had reservations, was seated and given water. The server didn't return for 10 minutes. They brought our appetizer and drinks about 45 min later....when they were bringing our food out plate by plate. Some of our group had their food for about 20-30 min while the rest of us waited for our appetizer. And food. To top it all off 3 of my pieces of my spicy salmon roll did not have salmon in it. They made me a new one but it was too late. We will not return.
- solid sushiMaggieKSDined on 5/10/2014Who doesn't love Sticky Rice? The food is great, the staff is cool, and the ambiance is artsy. I love going to Sticky for dinner dates with my main squeeze. We always go home fat and happy!Special Features:
- Sticky Rice - Great sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/10/2014Love Sticky Rice! Whether for a special occasion or just a quick bite, Sticky Rice is the perfect place for unique sushi, befitting an eclectic group (vegetarian, carnivore, vegan, picky eater all in one group in my case) at a reasonable price in a great atmosphere. Servers are always fast, friendly and offer wonderful menu suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi!PatrickDined on 5/9/2014Great spot for a casual dinner with friends or familySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Great!tchdwnDined on 5/3/2014There's always something fun and delicious to try at Sticky Rice. Even my sushi-averse brother found an awesome shrimp dish that he liked so much he wouldn't share. We'll be back again. And again after that. P.S. We were running way late for a Saturday evening dinner reservation and called to find out if we could change it. Not only were they able to accommodate us when I first called, but they did it again when we were running late a second time! Total wait time upon arrival: less than 5 minutes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 447 reviews are from the Sticky Rice reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014Great food, just wish my reservation had warranted me a better table than the one we got.....Special Features:
- Great Place!NuklearMosesDined on 4/26/2014This place is awesome. I am a huge fan of their food. They have some of the best tots I have ever had and it pairs well with the sushi and the bowls. The bottles of sake are great too. It has a very upbeat feel with a good selection of music. The service is pretty good, even when the place is packed. A great place to go hang out, with great food and a great feel.Special Features:
- My wife birthdayCmdm83Dined on 4/19/2014I took my wife, our family and friends to celebrate my wife's bday. We are vegan and we love this restaurant. It is our special place for special occasion. Highly recommended for everyone vegan or not you will enjoy all the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisapointsLessThanImpressedDined on 4/18/2014This restaurant never disappoints. Love the diversity of choices andSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoudSavannahVisitorDined on 4/16/2014Don't try to have a conversation with the person sitting across from you. The sushi is not what it use to be but fill up on tots and you might not notice. Probably won't be racing back to Sticky Rice given the other options in the area.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food if you have the timediningjDined on 4/13/2014Although the service is slow, it is friendly and the food is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible hostess, great otherwiseNomNomNomVIPDined on 4/12/2014Everything about our visit was fantastic, with the exception of the hostess. We dined for a birthday dinner and had fantastic service from the waitress, who allowed us to bring in cake and was hospitable in bringing us plates, forks, etc. However, the hostess was miserable. The bulk of our group began arriving a few minutes after our 6pm reservation, when we were first told the group had to be present to be seated. I said I wished someone had told me that prior, I would have ensured the party arrived on time. The hostess rudely responded "Well, it's already after 6, so that ship has sailed", and rudely insisted we wait for everyone to arrive. I spoke with the restaurant 2 times prior to dining, and they never told us of their seating policySpecial Features:
- great for vegans!dcvgnDined on 4/12/2014All the dishes are clearly labeled with whether it is possible to be made vegan, vegetarian, or gluten-free -- and all of it is extremely tasty. The portions are also quite large. My partner and I ordered the tofu bites (appetizer) and vegan chicken noodle dish with vermicelli noodles, and almost couldn't finish them (but we did because it was too tasty to wait to eat it as leftovers). When you realize how large the portions are, it also makes their pricing fairly economical. We spent around $20 for our meal, including tax. Not bad at all! Also, we went for a late lunch (around 3pm) on a Saturday, and it wasn't crowded, which was nice.Special Features:
- Food was incredibly mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/11/2014I normally love this place but we all ordered various sushi and noodle dishes and nothing was fresh. Avocado was brown. Veggies in the noodle bowl tasted old. The tempura was mush and had slid off the shrimp. Got $3 well drinks but the vodka was un drinkable so there was no point. It was my friends' first time visiting and everyone was really disappointed. It was almost embarrassing because it was my decision to take everyone there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and deliciousSudiebootyDined on 3/26/2014Sticky rice has an amazing menu, great vibes, and pretty good service. I really like the dirty vegan dish, but last night I got the chef's special sushi, which was a three course dinner, and it was great!Special Features:
- Refreshing!ValleyQDined on 3/23/2014My husband and I enjoyed going here after church. We wanted a place where both he and I(vegan) could eat and not feel limited. This was perfect and is recommended on HappyCow. My husband ordered the Szechuan Chicken with Udon Noodles and a bowl of Miso Soup. I ordered the tempura vegan sushi and a bucket of tater tots. Let me say, both the hubby and I tried, but could not finish the tots while at the table. They were hot, crunchy, and delicious! The sauce(a bit spicy) was a great compliment to the tots! The miso soup was pretty good. My husband loved his Szechuan Chicken Udon bowl. The vegan tempura sushi was awesome! It gets 5 thumbs up and I would definitely recommend it to my friends and we will definitely be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.