Steven W's Downtown Bistro
1100 Main Street
Newberry, SC 29108Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $30 and under
Steven W's Downtown Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://stevenws.com/
- Phone: 8032767700
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental
- Executive Chef: Chef Steve Foulis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We are a full service restaurant with all the items needed to make your occasion special at the restaurant or your site of choice. Please call Chef Steve at 803-276-7700 to set up that special party.
- Private Party Facilities: Upstairs dining room with large area for many types of functions including wedding receptions, rehearsal dinners, retirement parties, birthday parties, business functions, or any gathering you may need. The room has a bar & bathrooms on same floor & can be used for sit down dinners, buffet dinners or cocktail parties. A fabulous room for Christmas parties, but get your reservations early.
- Private Party Contact: Steve Foulis 8032767700
A word from Steven W's Downtown Bistro
Thank you for choosing Steven W's Downtown Bistro. We are a full service restaurant featuring the finest foods and beverages from around the world. We serve seafood from off the Carolina coast, Alaska, Northeastern waters, as well as other parts of the world. We also feature steaks, veal, pork, chicken, pasta, soups, appetizers, salads. My motto is to leave no food group untouched. We take great pride in our food preparations so as to be the best we can and that means always fresh ingredients prepared in our kitchen. We also make our desserts in our kitchen featuring an Oreo Crusted Key Lime pie with a Raspberry sc or an Almond Basket on a cloud of Raspberry Pastry Cream with ice cream, strawberries, chocolate & caramel sc just to name a couple.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Steven W's Downtown Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (7)neighborhood gem (7)romantic (3)notable wine list (2)good for groups (2)fit for foodies (2)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Another awesome dinner!Looking4FineDineAndWine2VIPDined on 9/5/2014We always stop in Newberry, SC on our way to Hilton Head Island. We found Steven W's a few years ago. It gets better every year. Great service fron Karen and her staff, excellent food and a favorite of ours now. This time we had the Caesar salad topped with anchovies. We also loved the blackened Scallops over pasta. Delightful. Chef Steven came out and chatted to make sure we enjoyed our dinner. We loved it all. We highly recommend Steve W's.Special Features:
- BillBillDined on 8/30/2014Once again had a great time at Steven W's . Food was great and the wait staff friendly and efficient. Surprised my wife with a nice dessert present for her birthday. If your riding all the way to Columbia to go out to eat save some time and money and go to Steven W's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant Dining ExperienceLivetoEatDined on 6/24/2014The restaurant is right across the street from the Newberry Opera House so great before concert dining. The place is nicely decorated in a row of old buildings. The service was homey and welcoming. The food was good to very good. My salmon was a little over-cooked and I specified rare. They are very accommodating for BYOB as the corkage fee was a modest $10.00.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- more4dinersDined on 6/14/2014Very disappointed. Salad didn't seem fresh and the Pecan Crusted Chicken didn't taste as good as before. Service and atmosphere was just OK. The restrooms had dust and cobwebs all over the walls and hair in the sink. Not the same Steven W's I used to enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite restaurant in Newberry SC!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/3/2014Great food, great atmosphere, stellar service! Steven W's is our favorite restaurant in Newberry. Katie makes the best drinks, Steve is the best chef known to man, and the service is friendly, knowledgable, and fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 45 reviews are from the Steven W's Downtown Bistro reviews archive.
- Food tasted "ordinary"JamesBeardfollowerDined on 5/23/2014Extremely expensive for such an ordinary meal. Food was nondescript and nothing to remember. We had two of the nightly specials and were completely underwhelmed. Taste, textures, colors, plating and most important: timing were all mediocre. Maybe we caught them on a bad night, Friday can be challenging!Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/8/2014I love making reservations on line and especially the reminder and followup by the restaurant. Do not find this very often. Our dining experience was great and the service wonderful. We really enjoyed eating at Stephen W's and we always have. Would recommend your restaurant to everyone.Special Features:
- Lovely small-town spotNewtoSCDined on 4/26/2014Reliably good food; very friendly service -- a nice find in a small town. Perfect if you're seeing a show at the Newberry Opera House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Time Ambiance and CharmFRIARDined on 4/11/2014It's hard not to appreciate Steven W's early 1900's theme especially when the chef is so creative and consistent. New appetizers were especially a hit and the signature entree of apricot-glazed flounder was done perfectly. We deferred on dessert but the assortment sounded delicious. A quick trip across the square to the old Newberry Opera House completed the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is our favorite localdoumDined on 3/13/2014This is our favorite local restaurant - never fails to please in terms of ambience, service, and excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food overpriced, location excellentSandraDined on 2/15/2014I ordered the Salmon Special which was only "adequate" when for the price charged, it should have been "excellent". Steven W's is located a short walk from the Newberry Opera House, which was great. The service was very good, and the waitress was pleasant and attentive. The recommended dessert was wonderful, as was the Bistro Salad. All-in-all a very nice dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time there and won'tGuyonadietDined on 2/14/2014First time there and won't be the last. Food was great as was the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- apricot glazed flounderdaveyhDined on 2/4/2014Huge fish perfectly prepared. Cost 28 but worth it. Other entrees very reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a very nice restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/25/2014This is a very nice restaurant. It was well worth the 40 mile drive from Columbia to dine. Service and hospitality was great, food was delicious and presentation excellent. I will not hesitate to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Night out !!BillDined on 1/17/2014Always a great experience and Friday night was no exception, great food, great service and so convenient to the Opera..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place for that specialOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/10/2014Great Place for that special event or romantic encounter! Great food, ambiance and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food in the Newberry regionEarlDined on 1/3/2014Without a doubt, it's THE place to go. A really nice location and the food is great. Had a party of four the other night and everyone loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food22ldDined on 12/3/2013My husband's fish dinner was excellent. My pasta dish barely had any sauce on it and the noodles were under cooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best restaurant in Newberry-gelapeDined on 11/1/2013We go there for all our sons special occasions while visiting him at Newberry CollegeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Delicious Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/29/2013We decided to try several of the specials for the evening. The crispy apricot flounder was quite outstanding, as was the salmon florentine. Our server was pleasant and efficient for the most part but seemed to have trouble remembering our requests for additional wine, water and bread. Overall, however, it was a lovely and delicious dining experience, and we definitely look forward to a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I swear they have the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/21/2013I swear they have the best veal that I have ever tasted!!!Special Features:
- The food was amazing and atKellyDined on 9/21/2013The food was amazing and at a great price. I can't wait to go back to try additional items on their menu!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodwcfoodloverDined on 9/13/2013Loved the atmosphere, decor. Service was good and the food was exceptionally good. We will return to try other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2013This was our second time dining at Steven W's, plan on returning in the future. We especially appreciate the ease of conversation as well as relaxed experience with no rush by wait-staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I always find the food delicious,BillDined on 8/20/2013I always find the food delicious, the waitstaff friendly and informative, and constant Beatle music! Like dying and going to Heaven, with a piece of Key Lime pie!!!Special Features:
- Great food and servicesw8deDined on 8/3/2013We had a group of seven. Service was impeccable and the food was excellent. We had to spring for dessert, because everything else was so good --and it was superb. We will absolutely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We ate at Steven W's beforeTobeyDined on 7/19/2013We ate at Steven W's before going to the Newberry Opra house. Not the first time won't be the last. The food was excellent. Our server Katie, the very best. I believe this restaurant to be the best in Newberry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is always good and hasBillDined on 7/12/2013Food is always good and has very friendly waitress's. I actually go because of the Beatles music which is a constant! We go to Steven W's for special occasions and when we have guests in town. There are quite a few less expensive choices in town. We used to go to Columbia every Friday and when gas prices went way up, we spent the extra money in town versus paying to drive. Glad the restaurant survived!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little Gem of a RestaurantkanooksbuddyVIPDined on 6/15/2013Discovered Stephen W's while searching for some place to have dinner while traveling through the Carolinas. Charming 100+-year old pharmacy building located in the Newberry city center just a few miles off I-26. Service was knowledgeable and attentive but not overly so. Recommended menu items did not disappoint. Since I travel this route at least twice a year, I'll be sure to plan another stop at Stephen W's the next time I'm in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It is a great restaurant andLyndaDined on 6/6/2013It is a great restaurant and the food is fresh and well prepared There was music the evening we were there and the music and the entertainer were very nice, however it was difficult to have a conversation. We look forward to our next visit, just hope for a lower volumeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeMarathonersDined on 5/11/2013Great experience. Stephanie excellent waitress. Nice place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Spot in a Special TownSteveVIPDined on 4/6/2013We enjoyed a very nice dinner at Steven W's. we were in town to play some golf and attend the Masters and were very pleased with the hospitality and quality there. We had the red snapper special that was very well prepared. Other entrees were the feciccine Alfredo and veal piccata. We wanted to watch the Final Four game after dinner so the server walked us to a nearby sports bar so we would not get lost. That is something special.Special Features:
- It was lovely. I would eatColumbiaDined on 3/16/2013It was lovely. I would eat there more often if it was closer to Columbia.Special Features:
- A Total Pleasure!FoodsterVIPDined on 3/9/2013We drove to lovely Newberry to meet friends midway from out of town. The setting is incredible at night as we had a window table with a view of the opera house. As to the food, we all enjoyed our selections and the service was awesome from Katie, our server. I would urge everyone to plan an evening in Newberry to try this wonderful dining experience. Let me suggest the boom boom shrimp appetizer, the mahi mahi entree, and the chocolate mousse cake.Special Features:
- Worth the trip from Irmo/ColumbiadisappointedVIPDined on 2/14/2013Steven W's never fails to please. The menu items are well prepared and there is a broad selection. Wine list is not expansive but there is something for most tastes and the prices are very reasonable. The Newberry Opera House crowd was fininshing up to get to their show as we were odering and there was not a drop in service. Servers are personable and professional. Worth the trip and a must when going to the Opera House.Special Features:
- favorite restsurantSCgalDined on 2/9/2013Had a wonderful dinner celebrating my husbands birthday. The grouper was delicious and the apricot flounder was out of this world! Always one of our favorite restaurantsSpecial Features:
- Food was great!jwsc2Dined on 7/13/2012We were only in Newberry for one night, we found Steven W's and we really enjoyed our meal. My wife got the flounder special and I had the king salmon special - both were really great. The sides were less impressive and could definitely be improved. The dessert was an almond basket with ice cream, chocolate and caramel sauces and whipped cream - it did not disappoint. For a Friday night at 8:00 the restaurant seemed pretty quite - only 2 other tables were seated. The decor is a bit dated, but we had a great table by the window and would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Steven W's in Newbeery, SCOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/12/2012Steven W's in Newbeery, SC has a gourmet mix of dinner offerings. The service is outstanding and location is excellent. It is good for groups and individuals. A must in Newbeery.Special Features:
- A wonderful place for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/12/2012A wonderful place for dinner and then to be able to walk accross the street to The Opera House and enjoy a show is the perfect evening in South Carolina.Special Features:
- Had a great meal with greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/3/2012Had a great meal with great service. The menu items were very tempting, but we ordered one of days specials. Turned out to be a great decision. Table was set for 4 and was small even for the 2 of us.Special Features: