Steve & Cookie's By the Bay
9700 Amherst Ave.
Margate, NJ 08402Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Steve & Cookie's By the Bay
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.steveandcookies.com/
- Phone: (609) 823-1163
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Hours: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Kevin Kelly
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Cookie 6098231163x
- Entertainment: Live Jazz 7 nights a week
A word from Steve & Cookie's By the Bay
"Fans attest quality is everything at Cookie Till's legendary Margate New American where well-trained servers offer on-target suggestions from the menu of excellent locally sourced fare and extensive wine list; the mood is upbeat in the multiroom space that's usually packed with an ‘in' crowd, which is why regulars recommend reservations in the summer and on weekends year-round."Continued
Steve & Cookie's is a 3 Star Certified Green Restaurant®
Steve & Cookie's is a 3 Star Certified Green Restaurant®
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Steve & Cookie's By the Bay - Best Restaurants in Margate ›
Steve & Cookie's By the Bay reviews from OpenTable diners
- Absoluely Fabulous.CynthiaVIPDined on 11/22/2014Every time that I have a meal at this restaurant, I am amazed how consistent the food is, and the quality is outstanding. I had a crab appetizer, and it was wonderfully fresh. My halibut noodle bowl was different and perfectly done. One of our dining companions had the cold water lobster tail, and he commented that he was afraid to order, because he did not know how good it would be. I told him, "go for it." He did and his dinner was excellent. Thank you again for a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great night at Steve and CookiesMillionMileTravelerDined on 11/17/2014Enjoyed dining in the bar area by the fireplace, the NY Strip was excellent, everything was perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LHregularDined on 11/15/2014Great food and a fun time with friends!! Sat in a booth in the bar area and really enjoyed the piano too. Be back again soon!Special Features:
- Still love itPowerladyDined on 11/14/2014I chose Steve and Cookie's for a birthday dinner. The food was as consistently good as ever. Cookie was there overseeing things. The problem was the noise level. I will not pick a Friday or Saturday now. We were initially on the sunporch and were one of the couples who asked to be moved due to the excessive noise of a large group on the other side of the curtain. It provided a visual barrier but not sound. Our "punishment" was a table right by the door so it was cold each time the door opened, but at least we could hear each other. Please warn people about large groups. We understand that there is not a way given the configuration of the restaurant to put groups in their own room. Groups tend to be louder as they are celebrating and talking over each other. If we had simply known, we would have chosen another night for our dinner for 2. Our second waiter was cheerful and excellent. Again, we will go back despite this one negative experience.The food is good and Cookie does a lot for the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive, but worth itVACJDined on 11/10/2014Went on the recommendation of a friend who saw on Facebook that we were in the area. Visiting in November meant it was quiet with excellent attention from the servers and hosts. The New England and Manhattan clam chowders were excellent, with large chunks of fresh vegetables, definitely knew that it was a freshly made chowder. Very nice crabcakes, and the bouillabaisse was wonderful with huge shrimp, scallops, chunks of fish and a tasty broth to dunk the bread in. Tried the Margate Beach pie, a variation on key lime pie with an oyster cracker crust that gave it a nice salty taste with the tangy but creamy lime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Meal!shorefoodieDined on 11/9/2014Great food, excellent service, warm and inviting atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!ChazDined on 11/8/2014I've been dining here for more than 15 years. The food and service are always excellent. They have the best broiled lobster with crab imperial that I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant dining experience overallOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/8/2014The first time that we dined during off-season, the restaurant was still crowded - very popular restaurant. We enjoy the atmosphere and the service is always great. Our food especially the grilled clams and bouillabaisse were delicious as well as our coconut cream pie. It is a pleasant dining experience. Our cocktails are always wonderful also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AmbiencehanovkVIPDined on 11/7/2014Steve and Cookies is a large restaurant right on the bay in Margate. It is open every night even in the off-season, so it's reliable. I like the atmosphere a lot. The dining rooms are spacious and the tables are not crowded together. The crowd appeared to be a little older (50s and up) but that's not surprising given the prices. I felt they were a little steep with many entrees over $30. Frankly, I didn't think the food quality justified that price point and believe that the entrees were $8 to $10 overpriced. If you're ordering one of the pasta dishes, order the smaller size. It'll be more than enough for one individual. Also, make sure you tell them to go easy on the salt since our dish was too salty for most palates.Special Features:
- The bestFinedinerVIPDined on 11/6/2014The atmosphere is very comfortable and at the same time up scale. The attention from the servers is excellent. The menu and food choices are terrific. The food and drinks are delicious. Overall, the dining experience is "the best."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bestDcglandDined on 11/2/2014The best food and service.friendly staff all concerned that things were okaySpecial Features:
- Great Ambiance, food and Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014We were celebrating our 11 year wedding anniversary and couldn't have picked a better place! Nice restaurant choices are limited at the shore off season but this place was hopping! A bit noisy and crowded (7:15pm on Saturday) and we didn't get the window table we requested but beyond that, everything else was great. I had the veal chop, which although I was expecting it to be more like a filet or steak, it was breaded and fried. Still very good, but just not what I thought. But it was my fault for not paying attention to the server when she described it! My wife had the pan seared salmon which she said was excellent. The service, in particular our server Stephanie was also great! Overall an excellent choice!Special Features:
- Good food and atmospherOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014Food was good but salad and all extras make it too expensive for the fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing EveningGIBSON3Dined on 11/1/2014I took a dear friend, which whom I haven't seen in 5 years. Had several recommendations. The waiter we had was attentive and we wanted for nothing. Plates were cleared and the did not feel rushed what so ever. The filet and the steak were perfect. The over night went incredible. Will pass the place along to all my friends in the area, with out a doubt. Will return soon with new friends to share in my experience.Special Features:
- FmrmohawkDined on 10/31/2014Each and every visit makes us want to return. My wife's pasta and jumbo lump crab dish and my strop steak were perfectly prepared. Peanut butter pie is the best?Special Features:
- Great place to eatsteveDined on 10/29/2014Picked this one off the open table recommended list. Started with fried oyster & grilled romaine salad, it was excellent. Selected bouillabaisse for the main course and it was outstanding, large shrimp, scallops, plentiful clams, back fin crab meat in a tasty broth. The grilled bread with cheese that accompanied wasn't to my liking due to personal preference not quality. Our group had wine, the wines are priced below 2x retail which exemplifies the value of restaurant. Finished with a fine scotch presented on one large cube, again priced reasonably. Service was great, waiter sounded like he had worked in the kitchen based on his knowledge, even the bus staff were inquisitive to make sure service expectations were met. I will return.Special Features:
- Always Delivers!WPMMARGATEVIPDined on 10/27/2014Steve & Cookie's Always Delivers! Hands Down the Best place to Eat at the Beach and one of the best meals you will get just about anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014long, half hour wait for reservation tone honored, but management softened the annoyance by buying us a round of drinks. Mine was bourbon, and sipping was calming.Special Features:
- Love the food!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/25/2014Our meal was excellent. The restaurant is always "hopping" and noisy. Our service was good but plan on a two hour dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!PattyTDined on 10/25/2014Never disappointed with Steve & Cookies. Food is always wonderful, and we are happily working our way through the delicious menu. This visit, my husband tried the fried oyster salad for the first time and LOVED it. However - more than anything, the service is excellent. Everyone we met was upbeat, positive and professional. Bar staff, servers, and service staff are top notch. It makes such a difference for the meal. Thank you AGAIN, Steve & Cookies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and choicesOCScotDined on 10/25/2014Good food and a good amount of choices. Probably one of the best shore restaurants that I have been to. The only issue I had was we had 5:00 reservations and they sat us in the back room with a party of @ 20 people. There were many table in the front room, so I question why did they sit us in the middle of the big party??? Despite that I would go back again, but would make sure I got seated in the front dining room.Special Features:
- Fantastic FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/24/2014This is one of the best, if not the best, restaurants in New Jersey. I drove from PHiladelphia, PA just to have dinner there on Friday night and then back to Phila.. Its that good!Special Features:
- Always excellent.CynthiaVIPDined on 10/23/2014This is truly one of the best restaurants at the shore. The food is always excellent and consistent, and the service is efficient and attentive. We were a group of four, and three of us ordered the panko crusted branzino, which was excellent. I have ordered the crab cocktail several times, and it is always fresh, never frozen. If you are there at the right time of year, the owner, Cookie, makes an excellent blueberry pie, and she will come around to make sure you are satisfied by your meal. There is a hostess there, Lisa, who is always pleasant and friendly. I have had the duck made many ways, and the filet, and again, wonderful. Calling this restaurant a gem at the shore is an understatement. My advice: book early. Enjoy.Special Features:
- Fantastic servicenamelessVIPDined on 10/21/2014Our server Kay was the best we have ever had in our many visits. She was extremely friendly and on top of her game. She anticipate our every need without hovering over us. The room was A LOT quieter than last weeks visit which made the night perfect. We were able to carry on a normal conversation without shouting. I hope they figure out a way to deaden the sound a little on the busy nights. We would go a lot more often if they do. The salad was just ok. The greens were a little wilted and needed to be colder and crisper. The crab was beyond perfect! We all wish they would have blueberry pie again (yes we know the season is over but...). We are looking forward to the lighting of the fireplaces!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDING!BubblesDined on 10/18/2014One of the BEST meals we have had! He had a shrimp cocktail, double cut stuffed pork chop, and dessert sampler. I had a wedge salad (a tad bit overdressed-but the flavor of the bacon helped to balance this), seafood pot "menu addition" (love that they didn't call it "specials") which had a slip lobster tail, a few scallops (i wish these were pan seared-they were more like poached-still delicious, but I'm a sucker for seared scallops), a few huge shrimp as seen on the shrimp cocktail, and the star of the plate - HUGE lumps of crabmeat that were melt in your mouth, all over a bed of basmati rice. I couldn't finish it as I had to leave room for the creme brulee. FINALLY a restaurant that doesn't serve creme brulee cold! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Splendid and classyseenerDined on 10/18/2014My wife and I had wanted to try this lovely eatery for quite some time. On our 39th wedding anniversary we made the 2hr trip to Margate and had a wonderful dining experience. Attentive waiters, but not over barring, specials were recommended and tried and a big thank you for that. The food really was fabulous. Everything, the house salad was unique and wonderful. I had Chilean Sea Bass that was perfect in every way. We were quite full and decided to skip desert, but to our surprise, the establishment sent out a plate with desert samples and a Happy Anniversary in chocolate on the plate. This was a special night and I'm so glad we chose Steve & Cookies to celebrate with.Special Features:
- Great EveningmarkannmDined on 10/17/2014We had yet another memorable and great evening dining at Steve and Cookies. The food and service were awesome. Steve and Cookies never disappoints. Cookie came out and greeted us warmly and they even brought us a special anniversay treat! Thank you again Steve and Cookies for an exceptional dinner!Special Features:
- Favorite Margate RestaurantNancySDined on 10/12/2014We've been coming to Steve & Cookies for many years now and we have never been disappointed. The food, ambiance, and service are always impeccable. I had the best pork chop I've ever had in my life (caution, it is very sweet!). The crispy tuna roll is more like an egg roll with tuna in it than a traditional sushi roll, but it was delicious, too. My husband had a terrific small filet mignon. And even though I didn't have it this particular evening, I always enjoy their caesar salad.Special Features:
- This place never disappoints!MartinigirlDined on 10/11/2014We had a wonderful meal with dear friends! The menu selection has something for everyone. Wait staff and management could not be more accommodating . ALWAYS our place of choice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in margate!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/11/2014Always wonderful- excellent food, superb service !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new findNewYorkerDined on 10/11/2014Diverse menu where anyone can find something to enjoy. Our group ordered eggplant rollatini, ugly ripe tomato salad, lamb lollipops for apps & pecan crusted halibut, veal chopilanese, Filet mignon & crab cakes with a bottle of Ted from Oregon-all excellent. We'll definitely return next year! Much too noisy though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winner!!SizeDined on 10/11/2014This is by far one of the best restaurants down the shore. The food is delicious and service is great. I wish it were closer to home.Special Features:
- DependabilityMaxieDined on 10/10/2014We had a wonderful birthday celebration. I can always depend on Cookie's menu, atmosphere and service for entertaining family and friends.Special Features:
- B++namelessVIPDined on 10/9/2014We always go in the 'off' season and have missed the place. They have great breads and a fantastic house salad, thought this time the greens were not as fresh as usual. The soup special was weak. The crab dishes are the best anywhere but a few ounces to small. The room was extremely loud (we were in the room next to the bay room). We go a couple of times a month Oct thru May. We would go a lot more if they would quite the room a little and either have drink specials or lower the price of the mixed drinks. Drink prices are the main reason for our low number of visits. The place we go to 3-4 times a week is almost half the cost on drinks. Don't get me wrong, we love the place. It just needs a few tweaks to make it A+.Special Features:
- South Jersey ClassicOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/9/2014Put Steve and Cookies right on top of your list, there with all your favorite restaurants in Philadphia and NYC. Wonderful upscale casual vibe, great food and service and the owner Cookie Till is not only one of the best restauranteurs in the state, but she is always giving back to the community. We will be back real soon!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/5/2014Had a very enjoyable evening. Service was very good. First time dining there. We had many of the dishes and everyone enjoyed their meals
- always a good mealfoodfunsterVIPDined on 10/4/2014hands down, Steve and cookies continues to be one of the most consistent restaurants we enjoy. Service, food, overall ambiance makes this one of our favoriteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great time..Dhumper914Dined on 10/3/2014My wife and I love it here. Our goto place since AC Restaurant Week several years ago. A great bar crew, awesome food, & a wait crew among the best! Have to have the Lobster Mac & cheese, Ugly tomato salad, Stuffed pork chops, & the Cold seafood plate! Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfully consistantAskfarrylVIPDined on 9/28/2014The food and service is always wonderful. If it was less pricey I would eat here weeklySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cookie knows bestClearlyAmbiguousVIPDined on 9/27/2014The food and cocktails here are exceptional. Service was very good, although we've had better here...waitress seemed a little fake. But that's ok. Word of warning: you will pay, and through the nose, for the quality of experience. Lots of dishes overpriced for what they are, but the execution and taste makes you forget all about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.