835 JACQUES CARTIER RD
Gatineau, QC J8T 2W3Neighborhood:
Ottawa / Gatineau
SteakPrice: CAN$51 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sterlingrestaurant.com/english/index.php
- Phone: 8195688788
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: AndrewVallières
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Friday & Saturday
A word from Sterling Restaurant
Sterling Restaurant is located in a charming heritage building by the Gatineau River. From within its walls, guests can feel the history of Gatineau.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Sterling Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Ottawa / Gatineau ›
Sterling Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (41)notable wine list (38)romantic (32)scenic view (21)good for groups (18)fit for foodies (13)neighborhood gem (11)great for outdoor dining (11)late-night find (5)great for lunch (3)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014We were delighted, amazed and truely grateful to find an establishment that still believed that exemplary service when combined with outstanding quality of food that is prepared EXACTLY as requested is still the best way to go. Their wine list is extraordinary and to our surprise is not just for show. They actually have available the wine you choose. The food, from starters thru dessert was simply devine. Cooked to perfection and presented with elegance and flair!! Prices are high but most definitely worth it. WE WILL BE BACK ....... OFTEN !!!!!Special Features:
- Great service!Patty1963Dined on 9/12/2014This was our third visit to Sterling, and it was like the first - consistently good food and service. The owner and staff take great pride in their fine aged meats, and enviable wine list. This really is the place for steak lovers. The accompaniments to the cuts of meat including the escargot are fabulous. The restaurant staff provide excellent service - you are wanting for nothing. Come here though to stay a while and savour. This is not McDonald's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemDiningoutDined on 9/6/2014Awesome service, food to die for, have only wonderful things to say about this restaurant. From the moment you walk in the door the exceptional service starts with a explanation and tour of how they prepair your meal, next up to the elagant dining room, where your wait staff takes over, to live music , and exquisite food, this is trully a hidden gem.Special Features:
- SterlingMgs1Dined on 8/25/2014Excellent dining experience with best service encountered in the larger Ottawa regionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Thanks for great service and delicious food! We will be back soon, DamirSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great lunch at SterlingSoniDined on 8/19/2014We truly enjoyed our lunch at Sterling. The service was great (Sasha and Pascal) and the food was divine (sous-chef Beni). It is always a pleasure to go to Sterling!Special Features:
- Superb!YummyDined on 8/13/2014Had dinner with friends at Sterling on Wednesday to celebrate a special occasion ...and it was outstanding in every regard. I had the Table d'hote and was thrilled with each course. Our waiter, Sebastien, was most attentive and as it was out first visit the owner gave us a tour of the different rooms (including 2 wine cellers) and explained the special attention they give to their steaks from selecting the best quality beef, butchering and aging on-site, and cooking to perfection over a wood burning grill to give that maple-smoked flavour. I can't wait to go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just fantastic.OwenDined on 8/11/2014Everything about it. The food, the atmosphere, the service. Just fantastic. I'd recommend Sterling to anyone.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Absolutely amazing food, and extremely passionate knowledgable staff and owners. Customer service went above and beyond anything we have ever experienced. The food was impeccable and the views and ambience of the restaurant were beautiful. Overall just a wonderful experience. Will definitely recommend to everyone and we will return for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Courteous & Personable ServicediningdivineDined on 8/3/2014My husband & I had a beautiful experience! The food and the service were exemplary. We were of course completely surprised that the waiter had brought us a complimentary dessert to celebrate our anniversary (40th wedding anniversary) given we had not informed him of this. Very perceptive of him! We were very impressed!Special Features:
- Enjoyabletable4twoDined on 8/1/2014Service was well times, the attention to our table made our evening memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentjojojumpingDined on 7/30/2014Excellent but a little pricey and we killed five fruit flies during the 75 minutes. We had to get a glass of wine replaced because a fruit fly was in it. The glass of wine that was replaced was of lower quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealSunsequiturDined on 7/26/2014We were there for a birthday dinner. The food, the service everything was just lovely. The soup was the only thing we didn't really care for. It was non descript and we have no idea what it was. We didn't ask, so that was partly our fault (as it was only listed as "soup of the day") but everything else was announced as it was presented and placed before us. The wine selection is beautiful!Special Features:
- fantastic, even better soonmichaelsDined on 7/24/2014the road construction makes the area dusty. but will be much better soon. love the smell of this place!Special Features:
- FANTASTIC!YvesDined on 7/19/2014Been to Stirling a few times and each time, it has been fantastic: GREAT food, excellent and attentive service, beautiful ambiance, etc. The restaurant itself is very cozy and relaxed. Good for a romantic evening as well as a group gathering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentSteakloverDined on 7/18/2014Best oysters I've had in Ottawa/Gatineau, steak is absolute best. Excellent wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeMarcDined on 7/11/2014Amazing food, outstanding service, great menu and attention to details. By far, my favourite restaurant I the National Capital Region.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDisappointingDined on 7/9/2014My wife and I dined at Sterling for our anniversary dinner. Despite the restaurant not being busy we were seated on the low level beside a very noisy table. We were expecting a view of the Gatineau river but we could mostly see the road which is under heavy construction. Both of our steaks were absolutely fantastic but the rest of the meal was quite sub par, especially for the price. The maître D took us for a tour after dinner was over which was nice and interesting but not enough to cover the disappointment of a mediocre (at best) dinnerSpecial Features:
- Awesome dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014The waiter was knowledge and attentive to our needs. The food was superb cooked to our personal preferences. Incredible way to celebrate my parents 50 th wedding anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding HideawayJimboDined on 7/2/2014We discovered this wonderful spot last year and made a specific trip from the Peterborough area to dine there again this year. The service was fabulous (Sebastian was terrific) and the food was outstanding. We love the presentation of the steaks and everything was cooked to perfection. We intend to make this a yearly ritual. Thank you for making this such a special evening! Jim and BethSpecial Features:
- Sterling Sets a High StandardOttawaFoodieDined on 7/1/2014Sterling opened 10 years ago and consistently offers excellent steaks and seafood. It's location requires you to do a bit of research, but it is well worth the drive. Dress is casual, but food is top notch. Go a weeknight for a quiet and romantic evening. Can get crowded on Fridays and Saturdays. Expect to pay at least $50 pp plus wine.Special Features:
- Maitre DSUWADined on 6/28/2014The Maitre D and the servers go out of there way to make each time we have been there a very special experience. Suzanne WatersSpecial Features:
- An amazing lunch!SoniDined on 6/19/2014We celebrated our 38th wedding anniversary with a lunch at Sterling. As usual, the food and service were outstanding. It was a sunny day so we sat outside with the full view of the Gatineau River.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RelaxingExcellanteDined on 6/15/2014The service was excellent. Most special occasion for Father's Day. The food was great!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/5/2014Great steak but if you had wanted something else severely lackingSpecial Features:
- O serviço e a comida são muito bonsArturDined on 5/24/2014Restaurante para comer carne, Garçons muito agradáveis e prestativosSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High ExpectationsdatenightfoodieDined on 5/24/2014After hearing about Sterling, my husband and I were very excited to dine there. Upon arrival, we were asked to sit at the bar to await our table. After 40 minutes our table was ready. We did have a reservation. Our waiter was attentive and explained the menu and meat selection process. The steak was outstanding however, the lobster was quite disappointing. Rather tasteless to be exact. The baked potato also lacked flavour. This is definitely a "special occasion" restaurant to be enjoyed when budget is not a concern. The restaurant has a very impressive wine list!Special Features:
- KatoDined on 5/23/2014Food was very good. I ordered beef tenderloin and French fries, the steak was perfect but the fries were too thick and not crispy enough. The service was slow, we arrived at 7pm and left at 11pm. It took them a long time to get our food order. I would still highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 157 reviews are from the Sterling Restaurant reviews archive.
- WonderfulClaireDined on 5/17/2014Five of us went for dinner to celebrate my fathers 80th birthday. We all enjoyed our steaks, perfectly grilled. I had mentioned the occasion when reserving on line and was pleasantly surprised with a dish of amazing chocolate dessert served on a plate inscribed in chocolate wishing Dad a happy birthday, thoughtful, and delicious. We had a view of the River with the gentle sound of live music playing in the background, you really couldn't ask for more.Special Features:
- Fantastic!sultanDined on 5/15/2014Everything was exceptional from the service to the fantastic food!Special Features:
- Something specialMichDined on 5/10/2014I was very pleased at the way our little group was catered to. We were served admirably and the food was fantastic. My son-in-law raved about his steak. He thought that his steak was even better than the steak he recently ate at Hi's restaurant in Ottawa's market area. Very Impressive. I felt that the ambiance was wonderful. Reminded me of my days in Saint- Sauveur. Very cachet. I recommend this restaurant to anyone who wishes to do something special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So close....MacktDined on 5/3/2014Everything was great. Had been trying to get here for years. Finally was able to go and if they had just cooked my steak well... It came first over cooked, then they were super great about getting another steak on the go. That one came back raw. After they recooked that steak, it was ok - but by that time the air had gone out of the balloon. Waiter was nice and offered a free drink. Had he offered a discount on the expensive steak I would be more understanding.
- Best steak houseBouzi12Dined on 5/2/2014I must say they know how to make a steak. I have been to numerous statehouse around ottawa area but Sterling does it the write way and believe me it tastes amazing. Great service, very nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Execellent on every levelMikeDined on 5/2/2014If you want the best steak and seafood, come here. You pay more than a typical steakhouse, but this isn't your typical steakhouse. Great service and got a tour since it was our first time. When we were leaving, the manager stopped us and offered free drinks. They had no issue making changes to the full course menu option for the soup due to milk allergies. Very much appreciated. If your spouse loves steak and/or seafood, you need to do yourself a favour and come here. We spent 4 hours there and it only felt like 1.5 hours. The live music was also a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulBo1o1Dined on 4/27/2014Was my 2nd visit, both times I had large cut bone-in rib, 1st time I asked for blue rare, 2nd time I said as recommended by the chef, it was med rare.. perfect sear, and excellent, take it how they suggest.. amazing.. And I love my veggies, they are as important to me as the meat, and served perfectly. Done and Done. I loved it. PS: Accommodated my special requests without any reminders.Special Features:
- Belle soirée entre amisOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/25/2014Excellent repas et service!!! Le pianiste devrait apprendre piano man!! Lol !!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/22/2014The waiter was very knowledgeable and kept the right tone throughout the meal. The maitre d' came by often and was very friendly. Wine by the glass is available but not mentioned on the menu. We had to ask as we are only one glass people. The wine list however was very extensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dating placeSnowmenDined on 4/21/2014Food is not bad, but with that taste it is overprice. Best part of the food is actually the vegetable on the side of the steak, probably one of the best in town. Steak is great in aging but it is a bit overcook for medium rare... Beef tartar is too salty and "cooked"... Sauce for scallop taste like Asian food somehow... And scallop is overcooked again. Great service, great environment, perfect setting for dating if your other half is not there for food alone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceMarkoBDined on 4/19/2014Had excellent service and the steak was second to none! Wine list was extensive and impressive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StammplatzDined on 4/16/2014As our ratings show, we were impressed with our dinner from all points of view. The only critical comment to be made is the 'frites' both in appearance and taste - perhaps because we were expecting crisp, golden French Fries. The Beef we had was the best not in years, but in decades! We have already decided to return soon with friends for a special occasion. Thank you for establishing a Restaurant of this quality in our area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.