Stephi's in Southie
130 Dorchester Ave
Boston, MA 02127Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Stephi's in Southie
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: 6173455495
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00am, Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Stephi's in Southie
The owner of Stephi's on Tremont and Stephanie's on Newbury is opening a location in South Boston.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Stephi's in Southie reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
vibrant bar scene (24)neighborhood gem (22)good for groups (20)great for brunch (15)hot spot (14)great for lunch (14)fit for foodies (11)romantic (8)special occasion (5)late-night find (4)notable wine list (4)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- OkayPapaVIPDined on 9/6/2014Fun place for young professionals in the neiborhood Not worth a driveSpecial Features:
- Slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/19/2014There were apparently only two waitresses in the restaurant on a busy Tuesday night and thus the service was very slow. There was a host as well as a manager nearby who simply stood around instead of stepping in and helping out, which was frustrating to watch. Our waitress was overwhelmed and ignored our table for most of the evening, but to put the fault on her would be unfair as she needed assistance. The food was good, but slightly overpriced for what it was. This restaurant has potential but needs to work out some kinks and tighten up service. On the other hand, the bar is great and I recommend coming in for drinks at the bar.
- Stephi's SterilityMopsyDined on 8/10/2014I enjoyed great Bloody Marys and good brunch but ambience was too sterile for meSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUM!Rebecca11887Dined on 8/8/2014After my second time at Stephie's Southie location, I can't wait to try it for a third! The atmosphere is great, isn't too expensive and the food is delicious. Their meatloaf is out of this world and comes perfectly with mashed potatoes and green beans - an ideal comfort meal! Great cocktail & wine list, too!Special Features:
- Would never go backSouthieResVIPDined on 8/5/2014I took clients there and will never go back. They service was terrible. Appetizer and pre-meal dishes were still on our table when our entrees arrived. The waitress was up talking to the bartender the entire time. I had to speak to the manager twice just to get her to our table of which she had attitude. How embarrassing in front of clients after I had been raving to them about it. It was also so loud that we couldn't hear each other talk. The experience was so bad that sadly to say I will never frequent this neighborhood restaurant again. The owner would not be happy to know this kind of service was going one.
- Great to have Stephi's nearbyBlakkRaigneDined on 8/3/2014I must admit that it's great to not have to trek it over to Newbury street to get my fix of Stephi's This place has great food and an ambiance to match. Definitely a nice upgrade to the Broadway area of South Boston, which used to appear sort of downtroddenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedThemaneaterDined on 8/3/2014We were seated immediately, then proceeded to wait 15 minutes for a glass of water. Our drink order was taken and only half came back, brought by a different employee, not our server. Our server finally came back to take our food order, that took 30 minutes for a burger and smoked salmon. The smoked salmon dish was missing key ingredients on the dish. Overall very disappointing. Went back to the area last night for dinner, had a fantastic meal at Franklin's.
- Great executionMuskiesVIPDined on 7/30/2014Had heard a lot a about Stephis- they do a great job with their menu and deliver well. I had the coffee crusted duck with mushroom risotto which was outstanding. Great bar for a cocktail or app, or a dining room. Was there for a casual business dinner which wad perfect.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not great...OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/26/2014I have been to Stephi's other locations, and recommended this newest location when friends were coming in to town for the evening. Service was mediocre, the restaurant was essentially empty at 8pm on a Saturday nite. The bar area is really nice, and I may return there. The manager checked on us once, and even though all of us were finished our entrees, he didn't even attempt to remove our plates for us. My entree (Cod) was really good, and I would give another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eh...ksgshmoopsVIPDined on 7/23/2014Service was really slow, took 45 minutes to get our orders in! I could tell the waiter was having an off day though, many customers were complaining and he was aware of how things were going, poor guy. Menu was nice with many things I would like to try, but both my beef tenderloin and the boy's cod were severely over cooked. Mine was well done (asked for med rare) and his was tough and rubbery. Ew. Oh well, many other places to dine at!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fun!Nixxo1121Dined on 7/17/2014Love the onion ring tower! Our salads that we ordered for dinner were wonderful and fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atmosphere, Food and DrinkOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/15/2014We really enjoyed the food and drink with a group of 6. Noise level a little loud, but we were seated near the bar. Service was excellent. Menu on Open Table is not accurate so go to website. Our party had the asian pork chops, cod, scallops orecchiette, and the cob and beet salad,all delicious!Special Features:
- Seems to be declining...OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/11/2014This is our 3rd time and we both remember the food being much better. Our appetizers and meals were just ok. Drinks were awesome though. Considering the price, not sure I'll go back for dinner again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively on the FourthvermontgurlDined on 7/4/2014Rainy windy day, picnic is out. Stehphi's in Southie filled the bill. Great sandwiches. Great service. The bar was very lively and maybe too loud for 94 year old mother in law. Music and tv blasting. Wish we had a table in dining area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New neighborhood spotmoz88Dined on 6/27/2014Very good food and also nice drinks. Not very busy for a Friday night, but meant good/quick service.Special Features:
- nice local spotbeernutDined on 6/20/2014A good place to go after work to grab some dinner with friends or a significant other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always accommodatingDotMattDined on 6/20/2014We enjoy Stephi's as a place to go to eat when friends come to town. The food is delicious and the portions are huge. The staff is always kind and accommodating to our family, which includes three young children (5 and under). We usually order different dishes and eat them family style, and it is never a problem. So convenient to get to on the Red Line, and honestly we usually find street parking nearby when we drive there.Special Features:
- Only one problemMindyMDined on 6/15/2014Loved the food, service, etc. only one issue - no changing table in the bathrooms. They provided a high chair or I might conclude they don't cater to kids at all. Not a biggie - you can't be everything to everyone, just good to know not to bring the kiddos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely worth tryingmoosalishousDined on 6/15/2014Food and service were excellent. Staff are very professional and friendly. Nice relaxed atmosphere. We were there on Father's day and although they were busy we never felt rushed or crowded. Bloody Marys are awesome. Bar staff is wonderful. Place is v clean. We went for brunch which is incredible...it's our second time there for brunch. We hope to go for dinner soon. It's right by the T stop so very accessible. Lots of parking around if you drive. Overall nice relaxing dining experience with great food and courteous staff. I would highly recommend it. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 101 reviews are from the Stephi's in Southie reviews archive.
- Slaura81Dined on 5/18/2014Great spot...highly recommend! Very nice food, great atmosphere and the service was really great!Special Features:
- Mother's Day BrunchFoodEnthusiastDined on 5/11/2014This was my first experience at Stephi's in Southie for brunch. The Mother's Day brunch menu addition was great, 2 of the 4 of us ordered the spring vegetable frittata, it was out of this world. Everyone enjoyed their meals and the atmosphere was very nice. The service is also always top notch at Stephi's. I typically go to Stephi's for dinner &/or drinks, but I would absolutely recommend it for brunch as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fordhamVIPDined on 5/3/2014Excellent food, even better service. They seemed pleased that we were there and we are pleased we chose this restaurant
- Beyond pub food neighborhood spot!MoxieMunchVIPDined on 5/2/2014Love this new neighborhood find! Great menu- everything we had was deliciously prepared and beautifully presented. Wine list was great and the concept of "wines on tap" is a great way to venture into something you may not try otherwise. Started with Doli cocktail- refreshing and enjoyable and moved on to wine from there with our meal. The roast chicken in particular is outstanding and the burger is a favorite in our group as well. Host & waiter very attentive without being overbearing and managers making the rounds ensured everything was on point also. The only drawback was the noise level. Crazy noisy even before they were at full capacity but at least there is space between bar & dining area to help buffer it somewhat. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RizzDined on 5/1/2014This restaurant has great potential, the menu has a good starting point but the execution of the cuisine is far from there yet. The meat was cooked poorly and unseasoned. We will not be going there again for awhile.
- Mixed!DougDined on 4/30/2014Quality of food is often times uneven. Selection for entrées are few. Atmosphere setting and service are excellent.
- Great!jhb28Dined on 4/25/2014The food was delicious and the service was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stephi's is a hit!smd617Dined on 4/17/2014I recently dined at Stephi's in Southie and can say that myself and my partner were pleasantly surprised. The restaurant has two great bars and a beautiful dining area. On a Thursday and Friday night, the scene is busy with many young workers from surrounding businesses. Aside from great food, drink, and excellent service, the overall atmosphere is what will bring me back to Stephi's for another date or drinks with friends.Special Features:
- Expected MoreSmelt13VIPDined on 4/17/2014Stephi's Southie is 50% restaurant 50% bar and must be surviving on the bar revenue. I had a steak salad that was just unremarkable and overpriced. The jumbo size steak knife they gave me struggled to cut through the meat and the rest of the salad was romaine lettuce with a sprinkling of bacon and cheese. The dressing was good. Maybe I have some old vision of getting a good salad at Stephi's Newbury Street coloring my expectations.
- Saturday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/12/2014First time here. Wasn't sure what to expect. Seems like somewhat of a neighborhood place. Parking was a challenge. Had a reservation but decided to eat at the bar instead - burger and a beer. Bit pricey, but not outrageously so for Boston.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food at a reasonableSidwadudeDined on 3/30/2014Very good food at a reasonable price. Clean and bright dining area. Friendly and efficient staff. Well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome BrunchBrunchBunchDined on 3/30/2014Stephi's is a great addition to Southie with the warm wood ceilings, wine bar, fireplace, and vintage South Boston Pictures. The raised bar area and dining room give you two distinct experiences. The brunch was excellent with a create your own Bloody Mary menu. My wife had a Peach Belini that she loved. The food was great. I went with the smoked salmon Benedict but we also had French Toast with apples, bagel with locks and capers, and pancakes. The waitress was great, knew the menu, made great recommendations, and kept out table clear and uncluttered. I can't wait to try them out for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood additionBobFreemanMAVIPDined on 3/28/2014Happy that we could get a reservation on a Fri night. Excellent service, and good food. Warning though, that the drinks were rather expensive. But otherwise, nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightfully Delectable!!!BTOWNDined on 3/22/2014Food was so tastefully prepared, Staff was attentive and friendly the atmosphere was welcoming overall it was a great at dining experience. I only take off a few points because it was cold inside me and my husband had to put our coats over our shoulders while we ate but they did seat us near the door when there were plenty of tables not being used further from the door. Next I will ask to be not seated near door. I will be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkJosephDined on 3/22/2014I love Stephs for the ambience. The food is ok, somewhat boring and predictable. I had the special this week. It consisted of three small scallops and two tiny carrots sliced thin. Little food of mediocre taste for over $20. Third disappointing meal there. I will return, bit be carful what I order a n maybe stick to flatbreads and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt like a FoodieDodiBDined on 3/17/2014I made a reservation for myself, I arrived early at got seated right away. My waitress was extremely friendly and professional. She have me some suggestions and we both agreed and suggest that Stephanie's offer a plate sampling all the different delicious vegatables they offer as sides. I would have enjoyed them all. I had for the second time in my 48 years, enjoyed brussel sprouts! They were seasoned perfectly and went great with the lamb and polenta meal I had. It was seasoned wonderfully, tender and arrived at the table HOT! Oh so was the hearty bread that was offered earlier. I went on to rider the carmelized apples in the bread pudding, a la mode, of course!! Next time I'm going to try the roasted chicken! Thank you,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stephi's in Southie was a hit!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/16/2014I'm new to the Boston area and made plans to meet some friends in Southie for the annual SPD parade. I heard from colleagues that Stephi's was close to the parade route so I made brunch reservations for noon; the parade started at 1pm. We were seated near the windows overlooking Dorchester, which is where the parade participants were lining up. We didn't miss a thing all from our warm, cozy table, where the food and drinks were flowing. Many thanks to Lauren, our server, who keep our glasses and stomachs full during our 3+ hour stay. Our outing exceeded expectations for the entire group!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food with perfectlyTishDined on 3/5/2014Fantastic food with perfectly paired ingredients. Fresh produce and nice side options. Very difficult to choose as all options were great. My party all chose differently and tasters of everything proved delicious! Not a huge menu which was nice for a change but still had huge variety within the menu. Really nice experience and would definitely return. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I would give it another chanceDiningDameDined on 3/4/2014I ordered the special that night and overall it was bland. Not terrible but I couldn't find anything great about it. My apple martini was horrible. Server was great. The manager came out and spoke to everyone. I would give it another try.
- good, not greatamy22Dined on 2/28/2014wanted to love it because i live nearby, but overall it was just okay. it was quiet for a friday night and now i know why. the menu is limited, not many entree options and the options are nothing special. there's a section 'for the table' which is mostly vegetable sides. all the entrees come with veggies so we werent really sure why... service was friendly but it took over an hour to get our food. everything was just okay, nothing stood out for us.
- What a disappointment......OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/27/2014I was so excited to find Stephi's in Southie and then could not have been more disappointed. The food was completely uninteresting. I had the "chicken salad".... it was about 6 pieces of white chicken meat and a salad of greens. There was a very dried out piece of raisin bread that divided the two. My friend has a roasted chicken. It was very dry and the gravy was inedible and overly salty. The decor was lovely, the location was great and the bar area was really attractive. I would love to give this place another try.... fingers crossed that the food is better.