Stephi's in Southie
130 Dorchester Ave
Boston, MA 02127Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Stephi's in Southie
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: (617) 345-5495
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00am, Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Stephi's in Southie
The owner of Stephi's on Tremont and Stephanie's on Newbury is opening a location in South Boston.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Stephi's in Southie - Best Restaurants in South Boston ›
Stephi's in Southie reviews from OpenTable diners
62 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (26)neighborhood gem (26)good for groups (21)vibrant bar scene (18)fit for foodies (18)great for lunch (16)hot spot (15)romantic (8)notable wine list (7)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)special occasion (1)Show More
- Thanksgiving Sandwich - order now!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/15/2014This was my first time to this Stephi's location. Everything was good but the open face Thanksgiving sandwich was exceptional - particularly on a cold winter-is-coming night. Do it and do it now!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice place, but the menu was just average.CherylDined on 11/15/2014The restaurant is nice and new! Looks to be a great bar scene. The food was ok, nothing special. but the service was very good. The manager came over after our food arrived to make sure all was ok. I liked the booths, it gave it a nice casual feel to be able to just hang out and chat with friends. I would say this restaurant is priced accordingly for the level of food. I would probably recommend this restaurant for lunch. Definitely NOT a romantic place as it's location is directly in front of the bus station and there are lots and lots of people coming and going right outside the window! Fun to watch at least!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually good, but an off day.Kenmore534VIPDined on 11/15/2014The steak and eggs was way overcooked, almost inedible, and the service was pretty bad, took an inordinate amount of time for waitress to come over. Then each time after we felt we were waiting a long time for her.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Accommodating, friendly, fast service.gutesessenVIPDined on 11/12/2014Went for an early business lunch. First ones there, folks were friendly, service was quick, food was great. Will do this again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious BrunchFoodie4Dined on 11/9/2014The service was excellent. The French toast and Bloody Mary was divine. Great brunch spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch with GirlfriendsellenDined on 10/26/2014Great place for Sunday Brunch! The menu is wonderful & service outstanding. We loved the decor and the food. The manager even extended the brunch time for us!!! Thankyou so very much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your typical Boston restaurantLocal2theareaDined on 10/25/2014We wanted a restaurant that was not a Pub or Asian, and had more than pub food and this Stephi's menu was great. We enjoyed the great selection of dinner salads and the clam chowder was thick and delicious. We did find the prices a little high but overall all the experience was good and exactly what we were looking for.Special Features:
- Decent enough comfort foodMarieVIPDined on 10/24/2014We asked for a quiet table and were seated right next to a boisterous party of eight. Not sure it made a difference as I think the whole place was pretty off the charts noise-wise. The menu is indeed comfort food with lots of heavy options. My husband had the pork sandwich which was fine but not spectacular. I tried his fries which were crispy and salty - just like the famous place with the golden arches. (for french fries, that's a GOOD thing :) I had the goat cheese appetizer and had to give Stephi's credit for including enough bread with it - most restaurants don't. Overall, not bad food as long as you aren't into healthy, light eating. And all the staff is very friendly and pleasant, but it's not a place we are likely to frequent.
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014We went here with a friend on a Saturday night. Nice ambience, service was good - attentive, but a relaxed pace which is what we were looking for. We split too apps - the salmon gravlax, which was nice but ultimately bland and the goat cheese which was amazing. Entrees were steak tips (tender and a nice flavor but understated. Warm potato salad and asparagus were both very good), pork belly (good but a little over fatty and over charred) with delicious squash puree, and a the mac & cheese which our friend reported was very good. We may try it again, but we weren't wowed.
- Good Dining ExperienceDeeBDined on 10/16/2014The new menu additions were fabulous. The waitress was amazing. However the bar staff and management of the televisions, which is why I was there, was poor.Special Features:
- Okay food, expensive, slow serviceHeatherDined on 10/9/2014The food was just okay. My boyfriend got the Mac & Cheese which was amazing. I got the scallops and they were the worst scallops I've ever eaten. Burnt to the point that I couldn't chew them. I had trouble getting the attention of the waitress and by the time she returned, my boyfriend had finished his meal so we just paid and left. Too bad, looks like a cool spot.Special Features:
- FoodieVIPDined on 10/4/2014The food was great ! The service was slow at best .. Think the server was just young He was very niceSpecial Features:
- Great foodCourtoDined on 9/21/2014I was able to get a reservation easily and we really enjoyed the food!Special Features:
- OkayPapaVIPDined on 9/6/2014Fun place for young professionals in the neiborhood Not worth a driveSpecial Features:
- Slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/19/2014There were apparently only two waitresses in the restaurant on a busy Tuesday night and thus the service was very slow. There was a host as well as a manager nearby who simply stood around instead of stepping in and helping out, which was frustrating to watch. Our waitress was overwhelmed and ignored our table for most of the evening, but to put the fault on her would be unfair as she needed assistance. The food was good, but slightly overpriced for what it was. This restaurant has potential but needs to work out some kinks and tighten up service. On the other hand, the bar is great and I recommend coming in for drinks at the bar.
- Stephi's SterilityMopsyDined on 8/10/2014I enjoyed great Bloody Marys and good brunch but ambience was too sterile for meSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUM!Rebecca11887Dined on 8/8/2014After my second time at Stephie's Southie location, I can't wait to try it for a third! The atmosphere is great, isn't too expensive and the food is delicious. Their meatloaf is out of this world and comes perfectly with mashed potatoes and green beans - an ideal comfort meal! Great cocktail & wine list, too!Special Features:
- Would never go backSouthieResVIPDined on 8/5/2014I took clients there and will never go back. They service was terrible. Appetizer and pre-meal dishes were still on our table when our entrees arrived. The waitress was up talking to the bartender the entire time. I had to speak to the manager twice just to get her to our table of which she had attitude. How embarrassing in front of clients after I had been raving to them about it. It was also so loud that we couldn't hear each other talk. The experience was so bad that sadly to say I will never frequent this neighborhood restaurant again. The owner would not be happy to know this kind of service was going one.
- Great to have Stephi's nearbyBlakkRaigneDined on 8/3/2014I must admit that it's great to not have to trek it over to Newbury street to get my fix of Stephi's This place has great food and an ambiance to match. Definitely a nice upgrade to the Broadway area of South Boston, which used to appear sort of downtroddenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedThemaneaterDined on 8/3/2014We were seated immediately, then proceeded to wait 15 minutes for a glass of water. Our drink order was taken and only half came back, brought by a different employee, not our server. Our server finally came back to take our food order, that took 30 minutes for a burger and smoked salmon. The smoked salmon dish was missing key ingredients on the dish. Overall very disappointing. Went back to the area last night for dinner, had a fantastic meal at Franklin's.
- Great executionMuskiesVIPDined on 7/30/2014Had heard a lot a about Stephis- they do a great job with their menu and deliver well. I had the coffee crusted duck with mushroom risotto which was outstanding. Great bar for a cocktail or app, or a dining room. Was there for a casual business dinner which wad perfect.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not great...OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/26/2014I have been to Stephi's other locations, and recommended this newest location when friends were coming in to town for the evening. Service was mediocre, the restaurant was essentially empty at 8pm on a Saturday nite. The bar area is really nice, and I may return there. The manager checked on us once, and even though all of us were finished our entrees, he didn't even attempt to remove our plates for us. My entree (Cod) was really good, and I would give another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 111 reviews are from the Stephi's in Southie reviews archive.
- eh...ksgshmoopsVIPDined on 7/23/2014Service was really slow, took 45 minutes to get our orders in! I could tell the waiter was having an off day though, many customers were complaining and he was aware of how things were going, poor guy. Menu was nice with many things I would like to try, but both my beef tenderloin and the boy's cod were severely over cooked. Mine was well done (asked for med rare) and his was tough and rubbery. Ew. Oh well, many other places to dine at!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fun!Nixxo1121VIPDined on 7/17/2014Love the onion ring tower! Our salads that we ordered for dinner were wonderful and fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atmosphere, Food and DrinkOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/15/2014We really enjoyed the food and drink with a group of 6. Noise level a little loud, but we were seated near the bar. Service was excellent. Menu on Open Table is not accurate so go to website. Our party had the asian pork chops, cod, scallops orecchiette, and the cob and beet salad,all delicious!Special Features:
- Seems to be declining...OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/11/2014This is our 3rd time and we both remember the food being much better. Our appetizers and meals were just ok. Drinks were awesome though. Considering the price, not sure I'll go back for dinner again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively on the FourthvermontgurlDined on 7/4/2014Rainy windy day, picnic is out. Stehphi's in Southie filled the bill. Great sandwiches. Great service. The bar was very lively and maybe too loud for 94 year old mother in law. Music and tv blasting. Wish we had a table in dining area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New neighborhood spotmoz88Dined on 6/27/2014Very good food and also nice drinks. Not very busy for a Friday night, but meant good/quick service.Special Features:
- nice local spotbeernutDined on 6/20/2014A good place to go after work to grab some dinner with friends or a significant other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always accommodatingDotMattDined on 6/20/2014We enjoy Stephi's as a place to go to eat when friends come to town. The food is delicious and the portions are huge. The staff is always kind and accommodating to our family, which includes three young children (5 and under). We usually order different dishes and eat them family style, and it is never a problem. So convenient to get to on the Red Line, and honestly we usually find street parking nearby when we drive there.Special Features:
- Only one problemMindyMDined on 6/15/2014Loved the food, service, etc. only one issue - no changing table in the bathrooms. They provided a high chair or I might conclude they don't cater to kids at all. Not a biggie - you can't be everything to everyone, just good to know not to bring the kiddos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely worth tryingmoosalishousDined on 6/15/2014Food and service were excellent. Staff are very professional and friendly. Nice relaxed atmosphere. We were there on Father's day and although they were busy we never felt rushed or crowded. Bloody Marys are awesome. Bar staff is wonderful. Place is v clean. We went for brunch which is incredible...it's our second time there for brunch. We hope to go for dinner soon. It's right by the T stop so very accessible. Lots of parking around if you drive. Overall nice relaxing dining experience with great food and courteous staff. I would highly recommend it. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slaura81Dined on 5/18/2014Great spot...highly recommend! Very nice food, great atmosphere and the service was really great!Special Features:
- Mother's Day BrunchFoodEnthusiastDined on 5/11/2014This was my first experience at Stephi's in Southie for brunch. The Mother's Day brunch menu addition was great, 2 of the 4 of us ordered the spring vegetable frittata, it was out of this world. Everyone enjoyed their meals and the atmosphere was very nice. The service is also always top notch at Stephi's. I typically go to Stephi's for dinner &/or drinks, but I would absolutely recommend it for brunch as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fordhamVIPDined on 5/3/2014Excellent food, even better service. They seemed pleased that we were there and we are pleased we chose this restaurant
- Beyond pub food neighborhood spot!MoxieMunchVIPDined on 5/2/2014Love this new neighborhood find! Great menu- everything we had was deliciously prepared and beautifully presented. Wine list was great and the concept of "wines on tap" is a great way to venture into something you may not try otherwise. Started with Doli cocktail- refreshing and enjoyable and moved on to wine from there with our meal. The roast chicken in particular is outstanding and the burger is a favorite in our group as well. Host & waiter very attentive without being overbearing and managers making the rounds ensured everything was on point also. The only drawback was the noise level. Crazy noisy even before they were at full capacity but at least there is space between bar & dining area to help buffer it somewhat. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RizzDined on 5/1/2014This restaurant has great potential, the menu has a good starting point but the execution of the cuisine is far from there yet. The meat was cooked poorly and unseasoned. We will not be going there again for awhile.
- Mixed!DougDined on 4/30/2014Quality of food is often times uneven. Selection for entrées are few. Atmosphere setting and service are excellent.
- Great!jhb28Dined on 4/25/2014The food was delicious and the service was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stephi's is a hit!smd617Dined on 4/17/2014I recently dined at Stephi's in Southie and can say that myself and my partner were pleasantly surprised. The restaurant has two great bars and a beautiful dining area. On a Thursday and Friday night, the scene is busy with many young workers from surrounding businesses. Aside from great food, drink, and excellent service, the overall atmosphere is what will bring me back to Stephi's for another date or drinks with friends.Special Features: