Stephen's on State
105 W. State St.
Media, PA 19063Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Stephen's on State
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.stephensonstate.com/
- Phone: 6108918900
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday: 2:00pm - 9:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday, Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Steak, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Stephen's on State
Stephen's on State originally opened their doors in June of 2003 under the name Stephen's Prime. Primarily a steak house, the restaurant operated for three years before the owners felt a change was necessary. They wanted to create a more casual setting and in August 2008 renovations began. The entire face of the restaurant was demolished and replaced with sliding french doors that open out to the street. Opening under the name Stephen's on State, the restaurant now offers outside cafe dining in addition to the ala carte lunch and dinner menu. Responding to the high volume of bar business, Stephen's once again renovated in August of 2008 and expanded into the adjacent building doubling the bar capacity and adding a new dance floor. With live entertainment Monday through Saturday, many people are coming to Stephen's to enjoy a full dining experience, dance, or maybe simply to enjoy an appetizer and cocktail from their extensive martini and wine list while listening to music.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Stephen's on State - Best Restaurants in Media ›
Stephen's on State reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (36)neighborhood gem (32)vibrant bar scene (29)fit for foodies (23)romantic (17)good for groups (14)hot spot (10)late-night find (9)notable wine list (9)great for outdoor dining (9)great for brunch (8)great for lunch (7)scenic view (2)Show More
- Good foodedeneskiDined on 8/28/2014The food was really good...above my expectations and I ate it all! I had the Chilean Sea Bass special. We were a group of 3 ladies and we all enjoyed our meals. Our waitress was really good but super busy. She answered our questions about the food really well and knew the menu. The rest of the staff could have been a little nicer. The folks who greeted us and seated us were efficient but not super friendly. I had to get out of the way of a waiter or two that was hustling. It was good they were hustling but they could have let me pass through instead. So you probably get the idea. I don't dine out much so when I do, I like to be treated nicely. Overall, a nice experience.Special Features:
- A and J7ofusDined on 8/20/2014We did Dining Under the Stars in Media and it was wonderful. This was our first time eating at Stephen's but it will not be our last. The food was the best I have ever had. The service was OK but was understood because of how crowded it was for Dining Under the Stars. The whole block was crowded and loud. We will be back.Special Features:
- Not what we have come to expectCookieVIPDined on 8/16/2014We come to Media area twice a year and Stephens is always a place we go for dinner. This was first time we've been disappointed. Main server seemed to be going through the motions with very little interest. My steak arrived and was cooked perfectly (medium) but was not hot. In fact, it was barely warm. I told our server and rather than cook a new steak, I received my steak reheated, well done and dry. Our server didn't come by to see if everything was fine for a while so rather than hold up our evening I stuck with the reheated steak. And, I received incorrect sides but at this point it was what it was. I'll chalk it up to an off night and based on our prior good experiences here, we will be back and try again.Special Features:
- Great Food. AWFUL AmbienceChrisMDined on 8/12/2014Food was excellent as usual. But, they had a Jazz Band start playing at 7 PM RUINING THE ENTIRE DINING EXPERIENCE FOR EVERYONE. We choose Stephens for a relaxing dinner with conversation and excellent food. Awful evening. Restaurant too small for a band. You could tell the other patrons were upset cause no one clapped or acknowledged the band. It was in no way background music. We were a party of 5 all the way in the back and could barely hear each other. Stephen's needs to figure out what they're going to be, an upscale restaurant or a nightclub. If the latter we won't go again.
- LoudPBV1VIPDined on 8/8/2014Our host was pretty indifferent when we arrived. The food was pretty good but the dining area is lacking in interesting or warm decor. The bar area was very loud and it filtered into the dining area. IF I go again it will be either for lunch or on an off night. However, there are lots of other much better restaurants in Media. If you like a noisy bar scene this seems to be a place to go.
- Very Enjoyable EveningMarionDined on 8/4/2014I took my parents to Stephen's on State for their 59th wedding anniversary and we had a great time. The food was excellent and the service was great. The State Salad was excellent and so were the tuna and calamari appetizers. I had the creme brulee for dessert which was also delicious. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/29/2014Very noisy, could not hear each other or waiter. Service very slow. Food the biggest letdown- stuffed chicken not stuffed, just a pile of ingredients, veal extremely tough. Could not recommend.Special Features:
- MorepastapleaseDined on 7/19/2014Food was delicious!!! Just need for my platter to come out piping hot!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceCRooVIPDined on 7/18/2014Tom the server was great and made it a nice dinner!Special Features:
- Bad experienceConfusedDined on 7/13/2014We had a drink and left due to an unexpected extremely loud inside band. We could not talk to each other. We have had great meals at Stephens in the past but this time we could not even stay.Special Features:
- very good dinnerbtomDined on 7/10/2014Hadn't been here for years; much improved and we'll be back. Good food and service, diverse menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CRooVIPDined on 7/6/2014Kelly is a rude person and should not be a manger at McDonalds much less this restaurant- ruined what could have been a positive first experience at a new restaurantSpecial Features:
- Good not greatlesm610Dined on 7/6/2014Having dined here more than a few times, this trip was a slight disappointment. While our shrimp appetizers & soup were very good, my husbands rib eye steak was very under cooked and not the quality we became used to at Stephens previously. My scallop dinner which I get most of the time was a bit off not sure if it was the risotto or scallops. While I won't count them out just yet, since prices tend to be high if we have this same experience next time , we will look elsewhere for a good steak dinner. On a side note, I always thought the entertainment started too early in dinner hour but this particular evening a guy named Joe Watkins was a solo act & he was fabulous! Very diverse music choices & all sang well!Special Features:
- Romantic, Yet HipDiningat50Dined on 6/28/2014My husband took me here for my birthday and it was very nice. The staff was very accommodating and the food was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific DinnerChrisMDined on 6/23/2014Lovely dinner for our anniversary. This was our third visit and each time the food has been excellent, from hor d'oeuvres to desserts. Servers are attentive and on target with their recommendations. We look forward to trying something new each visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner June 21, 2014OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014First time here, waiter very nice and personable tells us the service sucks but the food is great.Little did he know, we would wait over an hour for our meals with no explanation.When food was finally served, our party was so hungry we didnt really notice that the food was not so great. Two people ordered the special which was new york strip which they found not cooked to their preference and was quite fatty. Another person had stephen chicken which was to be served with shrimp and crabmeat.There was no crabmeat and two tiny little shrimp and the last person ordered a veal dish which was to be served with proscuitto which it wasn't. After whopping 240.00 bill, not sure if we will return or not. Maybe will give another try for lunch.Special Features:
- Excellent as alwaysLindaDined on 6/18/2014Great dinner - Kelly is wonderful and always provides exceptional service.Special Features:
- Good foodFoodieDined on 6/13/2014Food was good, very noisy though. Went out for a "date night" with the hubby, not really a romantic type place or a place where you can sit and talk due to the noise level. A little small, felt crammed in. Food was very good. It had more of a Happy Hour feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stephens is greatFoodDined on 6/9/2014Excellent service. Attentive yet doesn't ruin the flow of the meal. Food was exquisite. Price was right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stephen's on Statesk8r28Dined on 6/7/2014We went to Stephen's with friends on Saturday. This was their first time. We go a few times a year. The food was excellent. There was a mix of entrees from meat to chicken to seafood/ fish. Each person loved their meal. Only complaint is that the dining area can get loud especially when they have live music. I definitely recommend Stephen's to anyone. Can't remember ever having anything less than a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/2/2014We go about once a month. The food and drinks are especially grand, and the service is good without exception. All in all, it's well worth the price.Special Features:
- Not Easy To PleaseretiredbuddiesVIPDined on 5/29/2014I believe an eating out experience should have great food, service and atmosphere. My family and I celebrated my birthday starting with a crab flatbread and an artichoke with pesto - both excellent. The salads are large enough to share and were very fresh. There's nothing worse than limp lettuce. Our meals were short rib Bolognese, stuffed chicken, seafood Alfredo and the special sea bass w/rice. Everyone was thrilled with their meal with my husband and son commenting on the rice. I loved the short rib dish. The wait staff was attentive without be annoying. I hate it when they ask how do you like it when I haven't had one mouthful yet. Low lighting was an issue for me. I'm not easy to please, this was one of the best meals I've had out.Special Features:
- Delicious meal, loud atmospherevpbethoDined on 5/17/2014Food and service were excellent, but, frankly, the restaurant is a little crowded - meaning tables are simply too close together and it is LOUD.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Popular placeEOSpDined on 5/16/2014Popular and noisy. The food was good but sometimes with excessive touches ( eg melted cheese). The wine list is somewhat limited and expensive - three or four times retail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BearVIPDined on 5/16/2014The food was great -- everything from the salmon and tilapia to pasta and filet mignon. Our server was fantastic. He was very accommodating and attentive. The menu is relatively expensive, not for the quality and presentation of the food, but the with respect to the setting. The parallel bar area just does not enhavce the dining area. One enters with the bar area on the left -- after passing by a bar patron with a cigarette on the sidewalk at the entrance. Also for the prices they could do a better job replacing the used silverware and the like. All in all, a positive experience.Special Features:
- The bar killed the moodEhhhhh9Dined on 5/12/2014Not sure why you would do a quiz thing in this type of restaurant. Completely killed the mood and is the reason we left. Dim lighting then have to hear a guy screaming into a microphone? No thank you.Special Features:
- 45th wedding anniversaryvikkipew8Dined on 5/10/2014For a special occasion, Stephens is terrific. I would not go there often because of the prices. The after dinner bar scene is great. Both my husband and I like music, with him being a former DJ, so for a Saturday night it was a fun place to be. Though I would wish there was more space to dance.Special Features:
- Great placeBlueskyDined on 5/6/2014We went for my son's 12th birthday because he wanted to try a real restaurant instead of a chain. Food was fabulous, service was outstanding, and we had a very nice time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good mealFordVIPDined on 5/3/2014good meal service good food good would recommend to all media is a Quaint little town Good dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/2/2014Very nice restaurant and good food. It can get very noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 222 reviews are from the Stephen's on State reviews archive.
- Good but LOUDBeadfoxDined on 4/26/2014We were participating in Main Line Restaurant Week, and this was a restaurant we hadn't tried before. The food was delicious and the service excellent - attentive and efficient. We were with another couple that we don't see often, so we were trying to chat and catch up. This was difficult because of the noise level. A happening place, evidently!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerOuttodineDined on 4/26/2014My husband and I tried this restaurant for the first time on Saturday night for our anniversary. It was great. We would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2014This is a great restaurant with great food and service. The food was fantastic and the drink selection was impressive. Will continue to go here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!!!!ShermVIPDined on 4/21/2014Food was excellent and the ambience is very romantic. Mondays is bring your own bottle of wine which made it that much better....definately will be making this a bi-weekly tradition.Special Features:
- Noisy But NiceFlakmasterDined on 4/17/2014The food at Stephen's is excellent, especially their steaks. Service is very good. The only negative we would offer is the noise level. Stephen's has a large, very active bar area and the noise level from the bar makes quiet conversation in the restaurant area very difficult. Topping that off is the fact they have live music in the bar which, while nice, increases the decibel level. That said, Stephen's is well worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eh...OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/12/2014I have no real negatives to say about this place, just that nothing blew us away. Some may be taken aback by the prices as they are on the higher end. With such prices I would have expected the food to have a bit more character....fresher ingredients (everything seemed to be heavily doused in creamy sauces), and higher end service. For example, I would expect new silverware after our appetizers. Again, nothing terrible...just for the price I would expect more. I think this is an example of a restaurant taking advantage of the "steakhouse" image so they can up-charge just because they're a steakhouse. The nice part of the evening was we came during the Roots Ramble, and were able to hear some good live music!
- Great food and serviceluv2eatDined on 4/12/2014The food was delicious and arrived timely. I ordered the house cabernet and it was good. They did not have a kids portion but accommodated my son's request for pasta. I had the teriyaki filet which was cooked to perfection just as I ordered, medium rare. The service was fabulous and I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone. We will be backSpecial Features:
- Great restaurantjulieDined on 4/9/2014Food was very good. I had gotten the teryaki filet mignon with wsabi mashed potatoes, it was incredible! Very nice place and ambience. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FUN SATURDAY NIGHTLuvmediaDined on 4/5/2014Brought a friend who hadn't been to Media. I love Stephen's for their wine, their music, their food....Although service was a bit slow, we had nothing else to do and we didn't get our bread (but we could do without), the rest was really good. We were going to go somewhere else after dinner, but the music was so good and we ended up with 2 other couples just chatting and dancing and just stayed until it was time to go home. Needless to say, my friend definitely wants to come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little too noisy! Hard tododiDined on 3/29/2014A little too noisy! Hard to have a conversation. Food and service was very good!