Stephen's on State
105 W. State St.
Media, PA 19063Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Stephen's on State
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.stephensonstate.com/
- Phone: 6108918900
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday: 2:00pm - 9:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday, Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Steak, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Stephen's on State
Stephen's on State originally opened their doors in June of 2003 under the name Stephen's Prime. Primarily a steak house, the restaurant operated for three years before the owners felt a change was necessary. They wanted to create a more casual setting and in August 2008 renovations began. The entire face of the restaurant was demolished and replaced with sliding french doors that open out to the street. Opening under the name Stephen's on State, the restaurant now offers outside cafe dining in addition to the ala carte lunch and dinner menu. Responding to the high volume of bar business, Stephen's once again renovated in August of 2008 and expanded into the adjacent building doubling the bar capacity and adding a new dance floor. With live entertainment Monday through Saturday, many people are coming to Stephen's to enjoy a full dining experience, dance, or maybe simply to enjoy an appetizer and cocktail from their extensive martini and wine list while listening to music.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Stephen's on State - Best Restaurants in Media ›
Stephen's on State reviews from OpenTable diners
69 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (30)neighborhood gem (24)vibrant bar scene (22)fit for foodies (14)romantic (12)good for groups (10)great for outdoor dining (10)hot spot (7)late-night find (7)notable wine list (5)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- First disappointmentGIIIHemiDined on 9/29/2014We've been going to Steven's for several years, and up until this visit my comment was always, "I won't say it's the best steak joint I've ever been to, but I can't think of one better." However, on this visit, my wife ordered a filet "to the rare side of medium rare", and when it arrived it was to the well done side of medium well - cooked through with only a tiny amount of pink at the thickest part of the cut. Our server was excellent, and she immediately returned the steak to the kitchen, and the replacement was perfect, but it meant we ended up sharing my meal while waiting for my wife's replacement meal. My meal, the Mako evening special, was outstanding; but it would have been nice to have both meals correct first time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not HappyFordVIPDined on 9/27/2014the Special was a rib eye it was tough and free of taste i had a great meal here previous but would not trecommend in the future the two filets were under cooked as specified the mahi fish was tasteless the steaks filets were sent back and issue still not resolved
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014Very very noisy restaurant it was very hard to have a conversation. Service was not great Food was ok Tha hostess was absolutely adorable and very very nice
- Dining under the stars was funOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 9/24/2014But the food was not. The simple appetizers/bar type food wasn't even good and our entrees were an even bigger disappointment.
- Fantastic FoodReetaDined on 9/23/2014Me and my husband went here the first time for dinner and we were so impressed with the food we went back to try their lunch and I will they sure didn't disappoint!! I will say much or dinner this place is good. If I had to choose which one I would say dinner is the way to go because they don't offer steak on their lunch and their steak is the best!!! Also did I mention I used restaurant.com and paid got a $100 worth of food for $25!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dart119Dined on 9/20/2014I had the Stuffed Chicken with Roasted peppers, Italian sausage, aged provolone, roasted garlic sauce, creamy potatoes, asparagus. Great value at only $18 My meal was the best I've ever had and I eat out often.
- DinnerDinnerDined on 9/20/2014While the food was decent, the service was just not that great. We were six people at our table and after we were sitting for about 20 minutes they brought a small loaf of bread for all of us. When I asked for more bread instead of leaving the original loaf and just bringing us more, they took the smaller loaf back! Service was slow between drinks and courses. I will not be going back to Stephens any time soon.
- Great food, loud atmosphereSatisfiedDined on 9/19/2014When we first walked in, the restaurant was very loud and noisy as many people were enjoying happy hour at the bar. We were not so pleasantly greeted (no, "hi, how are you"- just- "how many" without even a smile) by a male host which gave us an initial bad impression. Our waiter was very friendly and we were very pleased with the food. The only downfall (besides initially not being greeted very nicely) was the noise level, it was very hard to hear each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food; terrible hostess1hat3b1llsDined on 9/7/2014Overall, the food was excellent. The waiter and the busboy were great. The hostess sucked! We were there on a Sunday when they had a band playing till 7pm. There was a bar on 1 side and the dining area on the other. When we walked in, we waited a few minutes to be greeted by the waiter. Out of nowhere, the hostess comes from outside, dismisses the waiter and seats us on one of the side booths. Our lovely hostess drops our menu on the table and tramples away going back outside to converse with her friends. No greeting, no water, nothing! I was a bit content when the busyboy brought out our water and the bread basket few minutes later. The waiter took good care of us and made sure my husband's meal was cooked right.Special Features:
- Service and food excellentGailsailorDined on 9/5/2014We will return on another evening but definitely avoid Friday as we like to talk to each other. Friday bar scene was jumping and the bands are great. Love Fair Trade .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, good beersMeg720Dined on 9/3/2014The meal was really quick-we were there for an hour...tops. The prices are up-charged on "Dining under the stars" nights. But the food is still good and they give you a decent amount.Special Features:
- Dining under starsFoodieParentsDined on 9/3/2014We went on a Wednesday in the summer to dining under the stars. We went with two young kids and so outdoor dining was great. They offered small kids menu. Adult food was very good but service was slow, took over 2 hours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great nightdatenightDined on 8/30/2014We really enjoyed our evening at the restaurant. This was our first time and we will definitely be back. The food was delicious, we loved the music, and the atmosphere was fun. I had a great night with my husband, but would also enjoy coming with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodedeneskiDined on 8/28/2014The food was really good...above my expectations and I ate it all! I had the Chilean Sea Bass special. We were a group of 3 ladies and we all enjoyed our meals. Our waitress was really good but super busy. She answered our questions about the food really well and knew the menu. The rest of the staff could have been a little nicer. The folks who greeted us and seated us were efficient but not super friendly. I had to get out of the way of a waiter or two that was hustling. It was good they were hustling but they could have let me pass through instead. So you probably get the idea. I don't dine out much so when I do, I like to be treated nicely. Overall, a nice experience.Special Features:
- Family gatheringEnjoysEatingOutDined on 8/27/2014I called for a reservation and when we got there they put us in a private room. It was great - we could have a wonderful conversation and hear each other. The waitress couldn't have been more attentive. We all thoroughly enjoyed our drinks and dinner. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good steakhouse in MediaOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2014Took my Mom to Stephen's on State for her Birthday. She loves a good steak! The steaks were good. Not the best filet I've ever had. It was a little burnt on the outside which messed with the taste of the steak. I read a number of reviews saying that the restaurant can get loud beacause of the band so I asked to be seated far away from the band and we were. However, our table was right across from the entrance to the kitchen and seemed to be the place where the wait staff congregated so this spot was less than ideal. We still had a good time celebrating, but the experience could have been better.
- A and J7ofusDined on 8/20/2014We did Dining Under the Stars in Media and it was wonderful. This was our first time eating at Stephen's but it will not be our last. The food was the best I have ever had. The service was OK but was understood because of how crowded it was for Dining Under the Stars. The whole block was crowded and loud. We will be back.Special Features:
- Not what we have come to expectCookieVIPDined on 8/16/2014We come to Media area twice a year and Stephens is always a place we go for dinner. This was first time we've been disappointed. Main server seemed to be going through the motions with very little interest. My steak arrived and was cooked perfectly (medium) but was not hot. In fact, it was barely warm. I told our server and rather than cook a new steak, I received my steak reheated, well done and dry. Our server didn't come by to see if everything was fine for a while so rather than hold up our evening I stuck with the reheated steak. And, I received incorrect sides but at this point it was what it was. I'll chalk it up to an off night and based on our prior good experiences here, we will be back and try again.Special Features:
- Great Food. AWFUL AmbienceChrisMDined on 8/12/2014Food was excellent as usual. But, they had a Jazz Band start playing at 7 PM RUINING THE ENTIRE DINING EXPERIENCE FOR EVERYONE. We choose Stephens for a relaxing dinner with conversation and excellent food. Awful evening. Restaurant too small for a band. You could tell the other patrons were upset cause no one clapped or acknowledged the band. It was in no way background music. We were a party of 5 all the way in the back and could barely hear each other. Stephen's needs to figure out what they're going to be, an upscale restaurant or a nightclub. If the latter we won't go again.
- LoudPBV1VIPDined on 8/8/2014Our host was pretty indifferent when we arrived. The food was pretty good but the dining area is lacking in interesting or warm decor. The bar area was very loud and it filtered into the dining area. IF I go again it will be either for lunch or on an off night. However, there are lots of other much better restaurants in Media. If you like a noisy bar scene this seems to be a place to go.
- Very Enjoyable EveningMarionDined on 8/4/2014I took my parents to Stephen's on State for their 59th wedding anniversary and we had a great time. The food was excellent and the service was great. The State Salad was excellent and so were the tuna and calamari appetizers. I had the creme brulee for dessert which was also delicious. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/29/2014Very noisy, could not hear each other or waiter. Service very slow. Food the biggest letdown- stuffed chicken not stuffed, just a pile of ingredients, veal extremely tough. Could not recommend.Special Features:
- MorepastapleaseDined on 7/19/2014Food was delicious!!! Just need for my platter to come out piping hot!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceCRooVIPDined on 7/18/2014Tom the server was great and made it a nice dinner!Special Features:
- Bad experienceConfusedDined on 7/13/2014We had a drink and left due to an unexpected extremely loud inside band. We could not talk to each other. We have had great meals at Stephens in the past but this time we could not even stay.Special Features:
- very good dinnerbtomDined on 7/10/2014Hadn't been here for years; much improved and we'll be back. Good food and service, diverse menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CRooVIPDined on 7/6/2014Kelly is a rude person and should not be a manger at McDonalds much less this restaurant- ruined what could have been a positive first experience at a new restaurantSpecial Features:
- Good not greatlesm610Dined on 7/6/2014Having dined here more than a few times, this trip was a slight disappointment. While our shrimp appetizers & soup were very good, my husbands rib eye steak was very under cooked and not the quality we became used to at Stephens previously. My scallop dinner which I get most of the time was a bit off not sure if it was the risotto or scallops. While I won't count them out just yet, since prices tend to be high if we have this same experience next time , we will look elsewhere for a good steak dinner. On a side note, I always thought the entertainment started too early in dinner hour but this particular evening a guy named Joe Watkins was a solo act & he was fabulous! Very diverse music choices & all sang well!Special Features:
- Romantic, Yet HipDiningat50Dined on 6/28/2014My husband took me here for my birthday and it was very nice. The staff was very accommodating and the food was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific DinnerChrisMDined on 6/23/2014Lovely dinner for our anniversary. This was our third visit and each time the food has been excellent, from hor d'oeuvres to desserts. Servers are attentive and on target with their recommendations. We look forward to trying something new each visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner June 21, 2014OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014First time here, waiter very nice and personable tells us the service sucks but the food is great.Little did he know, we would wait over an hour for our meals with no explanation.When food was finally served, our party was so hungry we didnt really notice that the food was not so great. Two people ordered the special which was new york strip which they found not cooked to their preference and was quite fatty. Another person had stephen chicken which was to be served with shrimp and crabmeat.There was no crabmeat and two tiny little shrimp and the last person ordered a veal dish which was to be served with proscuitto which it wasn't. After whopping 240.00 bill, not sure if we will return or not. Maybe will give another try for lunch.Special Features:
- Excellent as alwaysLindaDined on 6/18/2014Great dinner - Kelly is wonderful and always provides exceptional service.Special Features:
- Good foodFoodieDined on 6/13/2014Food was good, very noisy though. Went out for a "date night" with the hubby, not really a romantic type place or a place where you can sit and talk due to the noise level. A little small, felt crammed in. Food was very good. It had more of a Happy Hour feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stephens is greatFoodDined on 6/9/2014Excellent service. Attentive yet doesn't ruin the flow of the meal. Food was exquisite. Price was right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stephen's on Statesk8r28Dined on 6/7/2014We went to Stephen's with friends on Saturday. This was their first time. We go a few times a year. The food was excellent. There was a mix of entrees from meat to chicken to seafood/ fish. Each person loved their meal. Only complaint is that the dining area can get loud especially when they have live music. I definitely recommend Stephen's to anyone. Can't remember ever having anything less than a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 233 reviews are from the Stephen's on State reviews archive.
- Consistently good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/2/2014We go about once a month. The food and drinks are especially grand, and the service is good without exception. All in all, it's well worth the price.Special Features:
- Not Easy To PleaseretiredbuddiesVIPDined on 5/29/2014I believe an eating out experience should have great food, service and atmosphere. My family and I celebrated my birthday starting with a crab flatbread and an artichoke with pesto - both excellent. The salads are large enough to share and were very fresh. There's nothing worse than limp lettuce. Our meals were short rib Bolognese, stuffed chicken, seafood Alfredo and the special sea bass w/rice. Everyone was thrilled with their meal with my husband and son commenting on the rice. I loved the short rib dish. The wait staff was attentive without be annoying. I hate it when they ask how do you like it when I haven't had one mouthful yet. Low lighting was an issue for me. I'm not easy to please, this was one of the best meals I've had out.Special Features:
- Delicious meal, loud atmospherevpbethoDined on 5/17/2014Food and service were excellent, but, frankly, the restaurant is a little crowded - meaning tables are simply too close together and it is LOUD.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Popular placeEOSpDined on 5/16/2014Popular and noisy. The food was good but sometimes with excessive touches ( eg melted cheese). The wine list is somewhat limited and expensive - three or four times retail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BearVIPDined on 5/16/2014The food was great -- everything from the salmon and tilapia to pasta and filet mignon. Our server was fantastic. He was very accommodating and attentive. The menu is relatively expensive, not for the quality and presentation of the food, but the with respect to the setting. The parallel bar area just does not enhavce the dining area. One enters with the bar area on the left -- after passing by a bar patron with a cigarette on the sidewalk at the entrance. Also for the prices they could do a better job replacing the used silverware and the like. All in all, a positive experience.Special Features: