Stephen's on State
105 W. State St.
Media, PA 19063Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Stephen's on State
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.stephensonstate.com/
- Phone: (610) 891-8900
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday: 2:00pm - 9:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday, Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Steak, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Stephen's on State
Stephen's on State originally opened their doors in June of 2003 under the name Stephen's Prime. Primarily a steak house, the restaurant operated for three years before the owners felt a change was necessary. They wanted to create a more casual setting and in August 2008 renovations began. The entire face of the restaurant was demolished and replaced with sliding french doors that open out to the street. Opening under the name Stephen's on State, the restaurant now offers outside cafe dining in addition to the ala carte lunch and dinner menu. Responding to the high volume of bar business, Stephen's once again renovated in August of 2008 and expanded into the adjacent building doubling the bar capacity and adding a new dance floor. With live entertainment Monday through Saturday, many people are coming to Stephen's to enjoy a full dining experience, dance, or maybe simply to enjoy an appetizer and cocktail from their extensive martini and wine list while listening to music.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Stephen's on State - Best Restaurants in Media ›
Stephen's on State reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (30)special occasion (24)fit for foodies (21)vibrant bar scene (19)good for groups (16)romantic (11)hot spot (9)late-night find (8)great for outdoor dining (7)notable wine list (7)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Date Nightdc510Dined on 11/22/2014Was able to make an early reservation thru OpenTable on a Saturday night and had a great time. Food, service and ambiance was excellent. Couldn't have asked for anything more. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious meal at StephensquakerladyDined on 11/14/2014On an early Friday evening, we enjoyed a delicious steak dinner at Stephen's on State. Our waiter was friendly and knowledgeable. The mussels appetizer was to die for; we took the extra sauce home for another meal. Our steaks were properly cooked and more than we could eat. Took them home for another meal also. The only drawback to the meal was the very noisy bar. By the time we left, it was so noisy we could hardly hear ourselves. I wish there was a way they could separate the bar from the restaurant so diners could enjoy a meal in relative quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good dinnerloraineDined on 11/1/2014Our food was delicious. We were not rushed. We were sat next to a table of about 10 people celebrating a birthday. Very loud groupSpecial Features:
- LuckypupDined on 10/30/2014Excellent steak. Perfectly cooked. Husband said fillet one of the best he's had. I had fillet tips with seafood over mushroom risotto. Seafood very fresh and tasty. Risotto was quite salty and my husbands sides were unremarkable. Bar customers were quite loud detracting from the overall atmosphere- but we will return for the steak!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/29/2014They had a Halloween event going on and a band, unexpected on a Wednesday night. The result was too noisy. We had to move our table to the back of the restaurant where we were seated near a VERY noisy, large table. Food reviews for our table were mixed, some very pleased and others, just ok. Personally, I've had better meals here in the past...overall, this time, not a great experience but I would try again based on my past experiences here....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NomNomVIPDined on 10/28/2014Band just too loud for 7:00 o'clock on a Tues. nite
- Great mealKaelaDined on 10/26/2014Our waiter was fantastic! I wish I would have remembered his name!! Our group of 6 came in - 3 of which were children. He did a great job accommodating us! From offering my niece sliced strawberries with her mac & cheese to helping my clean up the table after I spilled water all over it, he was funny, charming and so nice -- which is a consistent positive with the wait staff every time I go to Stephen's. Food was great - steak cooked perfectly. I love this place!Special Features:
- Stephens on State - A real treat!StunningDined on 10/25/2014My daughters and I enjoyed the prime-rib cheesesteak egg rolls, calamari (perfect!) and shrimp Lejon as appetizers. Followed by scallops, braised rib bolognese and North Atlantic Salmon with parmesan risotto. An incredible culinary treat. Mango cosmos topped it off perfectly. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!ChuckVIPDined on 10/25/2014Went to an event at the Tower Theatre. Had a great dinner. Steak special was amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Large PortionsJBGrizzVIPDined on 10/22/2014We came for Media Restaurant Week. The portions seemed to be standard size, as there was a lot of food. It was pretty loud due to a band playing at the bar.Special Features:
- Nice eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014Good food and beverages, food served hot. Noise levels acceptable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food as always never disappoints.JezzDined on 10/17/2014Food is always delicious. The bar was really packed and noisy but in the back it didn't matter cause we couldn't hear much. Service was good but laxed a little bit at the end that's because it got really busy but that's okay will definitely go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Loud!Aerogal58Dined on 10/10/2014Had to wait for music to stop so server could speak with us, so we sat a lot waiting. No discussion at table because we couldn't hear each other. Food good if you stick with Italian.Special Features:
- Great MealHudetteDined on 10/9/2014Used a restaurant.com coupon this time and it was accepted readily. We had no problem reaching the required price limit! Stephens is still my favorite Media restaurant. Great food. Had the special of the night and it did not disappoint! Salmon over crab-risotto. Nice wine selectionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a PleasureEnjoytheBestDined on 10/6/2014Love Stephen's on State. Local gem and I return every time I'm visiting friends and family in the area. Menu is always excellent, and with a small party of 5-10 every time, no one ever had a single meal that was less than wonderful and delicious. They are especially attentive to "special requests" like no dairy, no onion, etc, and have always delivered! A nice private room for small parties is much quieter and great for celebrating special occasions. Highly recommend Stephen's on State!!Special Features:
- Excellent1002Dined on 10/2/2014Food was excellent. Service as well. I would definitely return.Special Features:
- First disappointmentGIIIHemiDined on 9/29/2014We've been going to Steven's for several years, and up until this visit my comment was always, "I won't say it's the best steak joint I've ever been to, but I can't think of one better." However, on this visit, my wife ordered a filet "to the rare side of medium rare", and when it arrived it was to the well done side of medium well - cooked through with only a tiny amount of pink at the thickest part of the cut. Our server was excellent, and she immediately returned the steak to the kitchen, and the replacement was perfect, but it meant we ended up sharing my meal while waiting for my wife's replacement meal. My meal, the Mako evening special, was outstanding; but it would have been nice to have both meals correct first time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not HappyFordVIPDined on 9/27/2014the Special was a rib eye it was tough and free of taste i had a great meal here previous but would not trecommend in the future the two filets were under cooked as specified the mahi fish was tasteless the steaks filets were sent back and issue still not resolved
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014Very very noisy restaurant it was very hard to have a conversation. Service was not great Food was ok Tha hostess was absolutely adorable and very very nice
- Dining under the stars was funOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/24/2014But the food was not. The simple appetizers/bar type food wasn't even good and our entrees were an even bigger disappointment.
- Fantastic FoodReetaDined on 9/23/2014Me and my husband went here the first time for dinner and we were so impressed with the food we went back to try their lunch and I will they sure didn't disappoint!! I will say much or dinner this place is good. If I had to choose which one I would say dinner is the way to go because they don't offer steak on their lunch and their steak is the best!!! Also did I mention I used restaurant.com and paid got a $100 worth of food for $25!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dart119Dined on 9/20/2014I had the Stuffed Chicken with Roasted peppers, Italian sausage, aged provolone, roasted garlic sauce, creamy potatoes, asparagus. Great value at only $18 My meal was the best I've ever had and I eat out often.
- DinnerDinnerDined on 9/20/2014While the food was decent, the service was just not that great. We were six people at our table and after we were sitting for about 20 minutes they brought a small loaf of bread for all of us. When I asked for more bread instead of leaving the original loaf and just bringing us more, they took the smaller loaf back! Service was slow between drinks and courses. I will not be going back to Stephens any time soon.
- Great food, loud atmosphereSatisfiedDined on 9/19/2014When we first walked in, the restaurant was very loud and noisy as many people were enjoying happy hour at the bar. We were not so pleasantly greeted (no, "hi, how are you"- just- "how many" without even a smile) by a male host which gave us an initial bad impression. Our waiter was very friendly and we were very pleased with the food. The only downfall (besides initially not being greeted very nicely) was the noise level, it was very hard to hear each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food; terrible hostess1hat3b1llsDined on 9/7/2014Overall, the food was excellent. The waiter and the busboy were great. The hostess sucked! We were there on a Sunday when they had a band playing till 7pm. There was a bar on 1 side and the dining area on the other. When we walked in, we waited a few minutes to be greeted by the waiter. Out of nowhere, the hostess comes from outside, dismisses the waiter and seats us on one of the side booths. Our lovely hostess drops our menu on the table and tramples away going back outside to converse with her friends. No greeting, no water, nothing! I was a bit content when the busyboy brought out our water and the bread basket few minutes later. The waiter took good care of us and made sure my husband's meal was cooked right.Special Features:
- Service and food excellentGailsailorDined on 9/5/2014We will return on another evening but definitely avoid Friday as we like to talk to each other. Friday bar scene was jumping and the bands are great. Love Fair Trade .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, good beersMeg720Dined on 9/3/2014The meal was really quick-we were there for an hour...tops. The prices are up-charged on "Dining under the stars" nights. But the food is still good and they give you a decent amount.Special Features:
- Dining under starsFoodieParentsDined on 9/3/2014We went on a Wednesday in the summer to dining under the stars. We went with two young kids and so outdoor dining was great. They offered small kids menu. Adult food was very good but service was slow, took over 2 hours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great nightdatenightDined on 8/30/2014We really enjoyed our evening at the restaurant. This was our first time and we will definitely be back. The food was delicious, we loved the music, and the atmosphere was fun. I had a great night with my husband, but would also enjoy coming with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodedeneskiDined on 8/28/2014The food was really good...above my expectations and I ate it all! I had the Chilean Sea Bass special. We were a group of 3 ladies and we all enjoyed our meals. Our waitress was really good but super busy. She answered our questions about the food really well and knew the menu. The rest of the staff could have been a little nicer. The folks who greeted us and seated us were efficient but not super friendly. I had to get out of the way of a waiter or two that was hustling. It was good they were hustling but they could have let me pass through instead. So you probably get the idea. I don't dine out much so when I do, I like to be treated nicely. Overall, a nice experience.Special Features:
- Family gatheringEnjoysEatingOutDined on 8/27/2014I called for a reservation and when we got there they put us in a private room. It was great - we could have a wonderful conversation and hear each other. The waitress couldn't have been more attentive. We all thoroughly enjoyed our drinks and dinner. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good steakhouse in MediaOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2014Took my Mom to Stephen's on State for her Birthday. She loves a good steak! The steaks were good. Not the best filet I've ever had. It was a little burnt on the outside which messed with the taste of the steak. I read a number of reviews saying that the restaurant can get loud beacause of the band so I asked to be seated far away from the band and we were. However, our table was right across from the entrance to the kitchen and seemed to be the place where the wait staff congregated so this spot was less than ideal. We still had a good time celebrating, but the experience could have been better.
- A and J7ofusDined on 8/20/2014We did Dining Under the Stars in Media and it was wonderful. This was our first time eating at Stephen's but it will not be our last. The food was the best I have ever had. The service was OK but was understood because of how crowded it was for Dining Under the Stars. The whole block was crowded and loud. We will be back.Special Features:
- Not what we have come to expectCookieVIPDined on 8/16/2014We come to Media area twice a year and Stephens is always a place we go for dinner. This was first time we've been disappointed. Main server seemed to be going through the motions with very little interest. My steak arrived and was cooked perfectly (medium) but was not hot. In fact, it was barely warm. I told our server and rather than cook a new steak, I received my steak reheated, well done and dry. Our server didn't come by to see if everything was fine for a while so rather than hold up our evening I stuck with the reheated steak. And, I received incorrect sides but at this point it was what it was. I'll chalk it up to an off night and based on our prior good experiences here, we will be back and try again.Special Features:
- Great Food. AWFUL AmbienceChrisMDined on 8/12/2014Food was excellent as usual. But, they had a Jazz Band start playing at 7 PM RUINING THE ENTIRE DINING EXPERIENCE FOR EVERYONE. We choose Stephens for a relaxing dinner with conversation and excellent food. Awful evening. Restaurant too small for a band. You could tell the other patrons were upset cause no one clapped or acknowledged the band. It was in no way background music. We were a party of 5 all the way in the back and could barely hear each other. Stephen's needs to figure out what they're going to be, an upscale restaurant or a nightclub. If the latter we won't go again.
- LoudPBV1VIPDined on 8/8/2014Our host was pretty indifferent when we arrived. The food was pretty good but the dining area is lacking in interesting or warm decor. The bar area was very loud and it filtered into the dining area. IF I go again it will be either for lunch or on an off night. However, there are lots of other much better restaurants in Media. If you like a noisy bar scene this seems to be a place to go.
- Very Enjoyable EveningMarionDined on 8/4/2014I took my parents to Stephen's on State for their 59th wedding anniversary and we had a great time. The food was excellent and the service was great. The State Salad was excellent and so were the tuna and calamari appetizers. I had the creme brulee for dessert which was also delicious. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 247 reviews are from the Stephen's on State reviews archive.
- A disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/29/2014Very noisy, could not hear each other or waiter. Service very slow. Food the biggest letdown- stuffed chicken not stuffed, just a pile of ingredients, veal extremely tough. Could not recommend.Special Features:
- MorepastapleaseDined on 7/19/2014Food was delicious!!! Just need for my platter to come out piping hot!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceCRooVIPDined on 7/18/2014Tom the server was great and made it a nice dinner!Special Features: