Stephanie's On Newbury
190 Newbury Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Stephanie's On Newbury
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.stephaniesonnewbury.com/
- Phone: 6172360990
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm, Saturday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Corey Comeau
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The semi-private facility accommodates up to 45 people.
- Private Party Contact: Mike Letterman 6172360990
A word from Stephanie's On Newbury
Stephanie's on Newbury has now become an institution in Boston. Located in the heart of one of Boston's most historic streets and upscale shopping districts, Stephanie's has been serving 'Sophisticated Comfort Food' in a relaxed, inviting atmosphere since 1994. Locals, travelers and shoppers alike favor this classic American bistro because of its commitment to blending old fashioned American favorites with a current, fresh twist. Stephanie's is casual elegance at its best with one of the city's most fashionable sidewalk cafes, popular club-like bar and cozy sky lit dining spaces. **Reservations are for inside seating only. Also, if the time you request is not available, please call the restaurant directly.**Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerComfort Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Stephanie's On Newbury - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Stephanie's On Newbury reviews from OpenTable diners
302 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (187)great for lunch (118)neighborhood gem (114)great for brunch (109)good for groups (75)fit for foodies (71)hot spot (66)special occasion (51)scenic view (42)kid-friendly (39)romantic (35)vibrant bar scene (28)notable wine list (17)late-night find (14)Show More
- Second best pear martini in townthepassionatereaderVIPDined on 8/28/2014My family loves Stephanie's. We go there every time we visit Boston. The food is carefully prepared with fresh yummy ingredients. The menu is foodie friendly and yet my teenagers eat everything on their plates. And, their pear martini is to die for. The best pear martini in the world can only be had at a very stuffy, prix-fixe place on the other side of town. To be able to take my whole family out and get a cocktail this fabulous is a gift.Special Features:
- Birthday for CadeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Beautiful summer night. Great food, wonderful ambience. Good for kids too 10 & up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always pleasesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014Stephanie's on Newbury (or on Tremont) is always a good choice for lunch, brunch or dinner. Menu is varied and food consistently good. Our server this past Sunday was particularly good - very personable and accommodating. My only criticism is that you can't make a reservation for an outdoor table That doesn't seem fair to me - when you take the time to make a reservation, you should be able to choose inside or outside. They did seat us close to the open doors however.Special Features:
- Good People WatchingSplurgeworthyDined on 8/23/2014Overall, the food is nothing to get excited about, the service isn't uniform, and the prices are way too high for the quality. My boyfriend and I had an unpleasant experience at brunch on a Sunday morning. We weren't in love with the choices on the menu so we each asked for eggs, potatoes and an English muffin. Our meal was $60.00. Yikes! I understand that what we asked for wasn't on the menu, but to charge us $10 for each thing seems a little absurd. The people watching on the patio was the real saving grace of the meal.Special Features:
- Basic Delicious!Swp7722VIPDined on 8/22/2014Pleasant and fun ambience, service wonderful, food selection delightfully basic -- we enjoyed enough to go twice. Come Fall, the restaurant might be undergoing extensive renovations; I would book ahead.Special Features:
- Too noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/21/2014The food was good and the service was fair but the ambiance is non-existent and the noise level was far too high. I would call this more like casual rather than fine dining.
- So loud!thisismynicknameVIPDined on 8/21/2014I took a job interviewee here, hoping to be able to hear her. That was a mistake. I left with a splitting headache. The food is lovely (she liked her scallops, I think, I'm pretty sure that's what she said above the din). They desperately need some sound baffles, however.
- Lovely and deliciousfoodmakesmehappyDined on 8/20/2014I had heard great things about Stephanie's on Newbury and it did not disappoint! I brought 4 colleagues with me and everyone was very happy. We appreciate you accommodating our colleague who could not have gluten. The chef gladly prepared her entree gluten-free. Excellent Tuscan red wine, delicious caipirinhas and scrumptious scallops. I would go again in a second. I am also pretty picky about ambiance and this was perfect. We sat near the patio and had a great view/breeze from there. Really enjoyed it. Good times had by all. thanks! Also, our server was knowledgeable, courteous, and funny.Special Features:
- good food/ location; slow serviceJordanDined on 8/20/2014The food is good (nothing overly unique, but delicious and quality nonetheless) but we ordered soup and salads mostly and our food took almost an hour for lunch! My guess is that the server forgot to put it in the system, as she didn't seem overly competent. We were also told by the host we could sit outside with our reservation but then it was another hour wait when we got there so instead they put 6 of us in a booth all the way in the back of the restaurant. All in all - good outdoor location, but nothing special enough to be worth sitting indoors and the staff is too young and immature to match the high prices.Special Features:
- Always lovelySpaz813Dined on 8/17/2014Always a great time, especially for brunch. Had a lovely meal, tasty as always. Price of bloody marys continues to go up though, so that's a shame, but they are very good.Special Features:
- PoorLondon14680Dined on 8/16/2014Gazpacho was warm and had been sitting around. Nothing like fizzy soup. Took 10 minutes to be give water. Interior so dark you can barely see. Not worth it.
- Get the lamb and chickenviaggiatriceDined on 8/15/2014We had a fine dinner here: excellent lamb and fantastic chicken. We did not like the clam chowder (you can find better). Good spot in the neighborhood.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Request to not sit in "main aisle"BellaDooDined on 8/15/2014Waitress acted like she was doing us a favor to wait on us. We were seated in the main aisle by the patio. Noisy spot. Waitress stood by the coffee pots and talked to her friends the entire time we were there. Seriously? Never asked us if we wanted more drinks, and was just basically aloof. Would not go back there. We were out celebrating an anniversary and would have liked better service. Oh well.Special Features:
- GritsChickDined on 8/13/2014This was our first trip to Boston and a friend recommended this restaurant. It was nothing special. I think there are other restaurants in Boston that better represent Boston.
- Not as good this timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/12/2014Service only fair. Left dirty appetizer dishes on table with entrees. Waitress away for long periods, not attentive. Felt rushed, entrees too close after appetizers. Loved this place in the past but won't rush to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RozzieDined on 8/12/2014We expected to sit indoors, but upon arriving early we requested outdoor seating and in 10 minutes were graciously seated at a lovely table. While the service was a bit slow, we enjoyed summer salads and a lazy lunch time experience.Special Features:
- averagedemandgoodfoodDined on 8/10/2014food was average at best. nothing special here. the bloody mary's where overpriced. won't be going back.
- Cold BrunchRandolphdadDined on 8/10/2014We had 10 am reservations on a Sunday and when we arrived at 10 am there was a long line and no one was being seated yet. The young staff was standing outside ignoring the customers. Finally around 10:08 they began taking guests and seating them with and without reservations. They didn't even have a list of reservations by the desk. We ordered basics yet waited a good 30 minutes since everyone came in at the same time: vegetable omellete, eggs benedict, and a thai salad. All were over-priced (omellete $17) and fair. The eggs were even cold but it was getting late and we just needed to have brunch. I highly recommend Forum on Bolyston for brunch.Special Features:
- Great foodCathyDined on 8/9/2014We had a wonderful meal here. Great comfort food. Had to wait 20 minutes for a reserved table. Service was pretty good and the food delicious. I would reccommend this place.Special Features:
- Responsive reservationistwinebytheglassDined on 8/9/2014Asked for a quiet table, and got it! Most of the place is pretty loud , but there is a small room that is just fine for a business dinner. And the service was impeccable without being intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food for reasonable pricewinebytheglassDined on 8/8/2014Here is a place that offers good food at a reasonable price. Probably not the best ever food, nor the cheapest ever price, but a fair value.Special Features:
- Great, as per usual.jtwalshDined on 8/8/2014When my cousins were visiting Boston and wanted to meet up for dinner, I knew immediately to recommend Staphanie's on Newbury. I have always enjoyed not only their delicious and beautiful food, but their excellent service and moderate prices. We enjoyed a three course meal and had top notch service. When our entree's came out before we were done with our appetizers, the server and manager apologized, and we received free desserts to compensate. I also appreciate the front door valet service provided. Needless to say, my cousins cannot stop raving about our dinner at Stephanie's.Special Features:
- goodeats4ugoodeats4uDined on 8/8/2014Rediscovering this Boston gem upon returning to this area was a real pleasure. The service was excellent, the lunch menu had lots of options, and being outdoor on a sunny day in New England was an extra bonus. Great for entertaining clients at lunch and still superb for Sunday brunch. I will return . . . soon. It's a great place for both Boston veterans and tourists from out of town.Special Features:
- AWSOME SCENEstacirVIPDined on 8/7/2014Great food even better bloody Mary's all day... but especially on Sunday's!!! Check out their Bloody menu!Special Features:
- Great food despite tourist favoritePAYEDined on 8/7/2014Always concerned with restaurants in high tourist area but it was very good. Really good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a DelightPerkinsDined on 8/6/2014Stephanie's on Newbury st. In Boston never disappoints. The location, the food, the service, and the ambience (especially when you can get a table outside) are consistently on the high end for a moderately priced restaurant. Our group of five ordered entrees that ranged from their burger to salads to a pulled-chicken pasta, with generous appetizers that made it difficult to finish our entrees. The calamari was especially fresh, perfectly cooked, meaty and crisp. The service was spot on, as we got just the right amount of attention from many waitstaff who understand the privilege of dining out. My group was from out of town and were looking for something reasonable, a little Boston ambience, and had good food. They were not disappointed.Special Features:
- The food is BADCocoDined on 8/5/2014The food is horrible for the price. My food came out late and my patterns food was ready, I was not happy.Special Features:
- Crowded -- make reservationsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/29/2014The food is quite good -- I recommend both the fish and chips as well as the mac and cheese. Be advised the interior is quite loud, so you may have issues in large groups.Special Features:
- Great Outdoor Newbury Street Scenepjm1Dined on 7/29/2014We had a reservation for inside, but decided to wait in the bar for an outdoor table. The sidewalk scene on a lovely summer night was fabulous. The food was great--comfort food with a bit of flair--and wonderful waitstaff. A great night!Special Features:
- Tourist trap-All about the locationWeekendVisitDined on 7/28/2014The restaurant has good location for people watching, but it is the typical tourist trap restaurant located in a highly transited area.. Unfortunately, the meals are not good. We had the burger ($20) and lobster roll ($27). The prices seemed very inflated considering the quality of the food. Both the burger and the roll come with fries, which are not homemade, but rather frozen. A place that uses frozen fries tells you a lot about the low quality of food that is expected to be served. Both the burger and roll lack flavor and where both bland. Do not recommend the restaurant and I would try my luck at another place - although, most places in the vicinity seemed to be tourist trap.
- i expected to be seatedrobertoDined on 7/27/2014our table was in the last place of the restaurant,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch only served on SundaysJCarmoDined on 7/26/2014Food was good, but thank goodness there was an omelette on the lunch menu. If you need to eat brunch on a Saturday go to Joe's across the street.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/25/2014The trout was very dry with no flavor. Server never ask how are food was until way after it was served. Husband's to salty.
- Great start for college toursSteveDined on 7/25/2014My daughter and I had a terrific outdoor lunch at Stephanie's. The restaurant came highly recommended to me by a friend. The outdoor seating was spectacular as were the salads fit for a foodie. Crabcakes were a great starter as well. Definitely a "must" for tourists and locals alike.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LukeDined on 7/24/2014Eaten there many times. Always good food and good service. Very consistant.Special Features:
- Best MealFatcattnDined on 7/24/2014For us, Stephanie's on Newbury might have the best menu selection in Boston. At least of the restaurants we visited. We had trouble making a selection. I think we could have eaten every meal here and been perfectly happy. I had the gnocchi appetizer and it was truly the best thing I had during our trip. For my lunch entree I had the egg salad with smoke salmon sandwich. While it was well made and presented - I would not order it again. The Hubs had the fish and chips. Best ever. Well executed on every level. Their house made tartar sauce was on point, but they also had another pink hued sauce. I don't know what it was, but it was a great compliment to the dish. We will make a bee line to this restaurant the next time we are in Boston.Special Features:
- Wonderful ambianceAnonymousDined on 7/23/2014Had a lovely late-night dinner here, sitting outside on the patio and watching the world go by. Food and service were wonderful; highly recommended.Special Features:
- MeatLoverDined on 7/22/2014Excellent as always! I am never disappointed in the quality of the food or service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch at StephaniesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/20/2014Out of French toast which was disappointing and then out of one of the desserts we wanted. They made it right though and didn't charge is for our three desserts. Food was very good as was the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The french toast is a must-have!vam9Dined on 7/20/2014The french toast is seriously divine. I highly recommend it!!Special Features: