Stephanie's On Newbury
190 Newbury Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Stephanie's On Newbury
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.stephaniesonnewbury.com/
- Phone: (617) 236-0990
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm, Saturday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Joe Bartel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: For more information on private events, please contact our Event & Marketing Manager, Natalie Whelley at firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from Stephanie's On Newbury
Stephanie's on Newbury has now become an institution in Boston. Located in the heart of one of Boston's most historic streets and upscale shopping districts, Stephanie's has been serving 'Sophisticated Comfort Food' in a relaxed, inviting atmosphere since 1994. Locals, travelers and shoppers alike favor this classic American bistro because of its commitment to blending old fashioned American favorites with a current, fresh twist. Stephanie's is casual elegance at its best with one of the city's most fashionable sidewalk cafes, popular club-like bar and cozy sky lit dining spaces. **Reservations are for inside seating only. Also, if the time you request is not available, please call the restaurant directly.**Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerComfort Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Stephanie's On Newbury - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Stephanie's On Newbury reviews from OpenTable diners
290 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (113)great for outdoor dining (112)good for groups (99)fit for foodies (92)great for brunch (84)great for lunch (83)hot spot (74)special occasion (61)vibrant bar scene (34)romantic (29)kid-friendly (29)notable wine list (26)scenic view (20)late-night find (8)Show More
- Great ExperienceJosephDined on 11/23/2014I put two people on the reservation but one more friend wanted to join us in the last minute so we showed up as a group of three. They quickly seated us to a three-person table. It was really nice of them. Great food and drink. I liked it a lot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm and Cozy Newbury GemLondonForDaysDined on 11/22/2014Great ambiance and quiet environment for a late night date. Nice view of Newbury Street from our table and the food was fantastic! The best New England Clam Chowder I think I have ever had! Exceptionally large portions for the entrees (maybe too big?) so there is no possible way you could leave hungry. We would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary date turned proposalTerfySnerfDined on 11/22/2014I made this reservation thinking it was just going to be a special anniversary dinner for me and my boyfriend. Turns out, about an hour before our dinner, he proposed on the steps of the Boston Public Library, where we first met. I was over the moon and completely surprised! Not being able to contain my excitement, I told our waiter at Stephanie's on Newbury and he comped us a bottle of champagne to celebrate! All the surrounding customers offered their congrats as well as any staff and the managers on duty that night. The staff provided us with the privacy we needed to celebrate as well as kept our glasses full all evening! It was more than a special dinner, but an experience I'll always remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedDined on 11/21/2014Too many other restaurants with much better food selection, wine selection and comfort/atmosphere at the same or better price level. This felt more like a fast food restaurant with fewer choices of dishes and wines at much higher prices.
- Lovely place for special luncheonBrooklineregularVIPDined on 11/21/2014Had a wonderful luncheon with a friend. Service terrific. Food excellent (pumpkin ravioli). Quiet. Service was expeditious but we weren't rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was fine.LibbyEaterDined on 11/20/2014This is my second time at Stephanie's on Newbury, and both times (first time a few years ago) I left feeling ... eh. Everything was just fine. I got the skirt steak, which was much thinner and smaller than I expected for the price I paid. My winter white martini was good and strong. Our table, for some reason, got two servers, so it was confusing. We asked for separate checks, but got a single one instead -- was it because we got two servers? They were very nice about separating the checks, though. A note: The downstairs area was quite noisy. My friends and I got sat in the upstairs area, which was much more conducive to a conversation.Special Features:
- Lovely evening with friends...great dinner!RoMoDined on 11/19/2014Had a wonderful evening with out of town friends at Stephanie's on Newbury. Great bar & dining room, able to talk comfortable/privately at table and then fabulous dinner... absolutely warm, inviting and charming. The servers were utmost professional, attentive, and welcoming. The mac 'n cheese with proscuitto and truffle oil was out of this world, as was the apple caramel bread pudding and warm chocolate cake. Also, had the special peppered cod with risotto which was perfect. There is not one thing I would change about evening.... allowed old friends to enjoy to the fullest. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely place, Comfort foodCRPathinBostonDined on 11/18/2014Wonderful service and attention, we decided to come back because it was so nice the food is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- zzzzVIPDined on 11/16/2014First time for dinner and will never go again. The appetizers were huge in quantity, actually bigger than the the main course. The clam chowder was a huge bowl of tasteless creamy mush. We barely finished a third. Worse still, the main courses were served almost immediately after the appetizers. The waiter did not offer to bring them back later. In any case, since the soup was so bad, we sent it away mostly uneaten. The main dish was oK and so was the dessert. All in all a pretty bad experience.
- Nice vibe and food was goodVtguysDined on 11/14/2014Two of us had opentable reservations and were seated easily and on time. Drinks were inventive and bountiful. Server was very busy with all diners but have us appropriate attention also. Lots of people and moderately loud but added to experience. Food was good and priced accordingly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastebudDined on 11/14/2014Our server Eric was very attentive and concerned about our satisfaction. Both he and the food were outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- busy, busyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/11/2014This is obviously a tourist spot located on Newbury. Large restaurant but not enough staff. Had to wait 30 mins for table. Very loud groups and tight tabling. Small portions.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service!!alissaDined on 11/11/2014After living in Boston for over 10 years, finally got to Stephanie's. Wasn't sure what to expect; overrated tourist trap, or actual fine dining experience. The latter was definitely true! Went for lunch with a friend on a Tuesday and ordered the chicken, my friend ordered the tuna melt. We both got a cocktail. The cocktails were definitely pricey, but delicious. Our water was super helpful, friendly and accommodating. It was no problem to sub the delicious sweet potato goat cheese gratin for the mashed potatoes that the chicken came with, and the brussel sprouts were also tasty. Overall, very pleasantly surprised and would definitely go back for lunch, dinner or brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experiencebakster21Dined on 11/10/2014Visited Stephanie's again and was not disappointed - tried the Meatloaf and Fish option during this trip and enjoyed both! Can't wait to visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- updated comfort food2localsDined on 11/8/2014This was my second visit and although the menu had been updated for the season with new interesting things, I was still able to find some things I loved from my fist visit - especially the apple bread pudding! Save room for this! The menu offers updated twists on comfort food and we loved everything we ordered. Go hungry. Although some of the prices were on the high side, the portions are generous. Nice selections of wines by the glass. We will definitely go back again to try some of the other things on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerELVYDined on 11/8/2014Service was outstanding. Food and menu were very good. Celebrated my daughters 22nd birthday with her friends. (7 diners) The menu had something for everyone my we had vegetarians and carnivoures and all were happy with their dinner selections. Deserts were also yummy and grand.Special Features:
- Can't see what the fuss isPappaFoodDined on 11/8/2014We were highly recommended to Stephanie's. Went for lunch on a Saturday. Seated quickly. Miserable waitress took our order gave no help. Husbands food was cold and was sent back. The same meal was presented 10mins later having been put back into the oven. I find this very poor. There was no apology from the waitress she merely commented that the plate was burning hot.Special Features:
- Great Friday NightNellabellDined on 11/7/2014We had made a reservation for 7:30 PM on Friday night, but we arrived earlier than we had expected to. After enjoying a delicious cocktail at the bar, the hostess offered to seat us prior to our reservation time which was greatly appreciated and unexpected. Our server was excellent and took great care of us and the food was excellent!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Was in town to visit my daughter who attends college there. We had a wonderful dinner with family. Food was great.Special Features:
- Noisy but pleasant ambienceflavioVIPDined on 11/6/2014The food was mediocre but the server worked hard to make up for the experience. A good spot for an early dinner but the noisy bar detracts.Special Features:
- Exorbitant Waste of FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/5/2014The amount of food served was astonishingly wasteful. When our waiter recognized our dismay he explained that the restaurant is known for its comfort food. We all love comfort food, but really, enough is enough! The thought of the enormity of wasted food made me loose my appetite!
- Stephanies - Friday lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014Friday at 1pm was packed. I'm glad I made a reservation for my lunch meeting. Although the salads are delicious, the noise level was so high, I will have to rethink this locale as a place for lunch and conversation. Also I was not a fan of the shrimp on my salad, although my lunch date said that the salmon was delicious. Next time I will go for chicken or salmon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ONCE AGAIN DISAPPOINTINGDDDDVIPDined on 10/29/2014MEAT LOAF WAS INEDIBLE, ONION RINGS AND CALAMARI HEAVILY BUTTERED AND PRECOOKED, SO WHERE TASTELES. TERIBLE FOOD IN GENERAL. VERY OVERATED PLACE
- Frozen Dinner likeTryBostonDined on 10/28/2014My girlfriend had the pulled chicken pasta and it tasted awful. We had to send it back. No flavor and soupy. Cllam chowder which came out with a hardened film on top. Wedge salad was good. The lava cake came out with almost all the ice cream melted.Special Features:
- AimeeDined on 10/28/2014Always a winner. Love this place! Dependable, great food and friendly staff.Special Features:
- DizeedizeeVIPDined on 10/27/2014The decor is getting tired, but I understand they will close in January for a few weeks in order to update. Our salads were very ordinary, although fresh. I'll plan to go back after the updates are done.
- Wish we found it soonerCharlieDined on 10/26/2014Nice reasonable Boston Back Bay restaurant. Excellent service, very good meals at reasonable prices. Wish we had tried them sooner...will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boston MustOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/26/2014So very glad we did not miss this wonderful spot! The service was outstanding, the menu a delight, the brunch was delish! A must spot for all who travel to Boston for sure!Special Features:
- Pleasant experienceKjoe1960Dined on 10/25/2014This was my first time dining at Stephanie's. The menu offered something for everyone. My sister and I both had seafood dishes which were excellent. Our waiter was attentive and friendly. If I had to find fault with something maybe it would be the noise level which was a little high. All in all a very pleasant experience and I am likely to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was awesome.. We sat bothOCMACDined on 10/25/2014The place was awesome! We sat both outside and inside the same night. The staff was flexible which made them great.. My only regret was that I didn't leave a larger tipSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingFloridaGalDined on 10/22/2014We were seated on time. Our server was friendly, but forgot to bring our wine order until after we were done with our appetizers. Soup was lukewarm. Entrees were brought before we had finished our appetizers- we asked them to take them back and serve them at the appropriate time. Server said mac and cheese was voted best in Boston, but I found it average at best. My husband said his cod was okay, but not great. Manager walked around room, but did not stop at our table to ask us about the food and service. When we asked to have a cab called, employee said we should just go "around the corner" to a nearby hotel where cabs were waiting. It was about 2 blocks away, and it was raining and windy! The valet was kind enough to hail a cab for us.
- Surprising!JAAFVIPDined on 10/19/2014Once you are inside it is a different world. Food is excellent, service is very good.Special Features:
- OKJohnDined on 10/18/2014OK but nothing to write home about. Meatloaf was dry (good thing it had gravy!) and I think there should have been 3 lamb chops on the plate. Only 2 appeared and they were extremely small. Not worth $32. But the drinks were good and the place was lively.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/17/2014Another GREAT experience dining at Stephanie's! The service and food were terrific! Lunch outside on Newbury Street can't be beat! The manager, Mike, bends over backward to please! Looking for more beautiful days to dine in the patio!Special Features:
- Place to be seenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Stephanie's is good for people who find it important to A) Be seen there, B) feel that it's important to let other like-minded people know that you're at Stephanie's and C) eat average food.Special Features:
- Pleasently surprised!luvtodineDined on 10/17/2014Food was delicious and very fresh! I had the fish sandwich.. It was done perfectly!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeSalaciousCrumbDined on 10/15/2014If you're urbane or provincial, you will love Stephanie's. The food is excellent, the atmosphere is posh but the people are actually friendly and make you feel at home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/15/2014great location, maybe a bit lax in their care of guests/attention to detail of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last outdoor before winterJP1817Dined on 10/13/2014My party dined outside on the patio, good food and attentive wait staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as great as beforeDelightedDinerVIPDined on 10/13/2014Loved this restaurant when I first went but the tenderloin salad has definitely gone downhill and the service isn't as attentive. Not bad, just not memorable either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.