Stephanie's On Newbury
190 Newbury Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Stephanie's On Newbury
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.stephaniesonnewbury.com/
- Phone: 6172360990
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm, Saturday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Corey Comeau
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Stephanie's On Newbury
Stephanie's on Newbury has now become an institution in Boston. Located in the heart of one of Boston's most historic streets and upscale shopping districts, Stephanie's has been serving 'Sophisticated Comfort Food' in a relaxed, inviting atmosphere since 1994. Locals, travelers and shoppers alike favor this classic American bistro because of its commitment to blending old fashioned American favorites with a current, fresh twist. Stephanie's is casual elegance at its best with one of the city's most fashionable sidewalk cafes, popular club-like bar and cozy sky lit dining spaces. **Reservations are for inside seating only. Also, if the time you request is not available, please call the restaurant directly.**Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerComfort Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Stephanie's On Newbury - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Stephanie's On Newbury reviews from OpenTable diners
286 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (152)neighborhood gem (110)great for lunch (92)good for groups (87)great for brunch (85)fit for foodies (77)hot spot (72)special occasion (51)kid-friendly (36)scenic view (34)vibrant bar scene (32)romantic (26)notable wine list (20)late-night find (7)Show More
- ONCE AGAIN DISAPPOINTINGDDDDVIPDined on 10/29/2014MEAT LOAF WAS INEDIBLE, ONION RINGS AND CALAMARI HEAVILY BUTTERED AND PRECOOKED, SO WHERE TASTELES. TERIBLE FOOD IN GENERAL. VERY OVERATED PLACE
- Frozen Dinner likeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/28/2014My girlfriend had the pulled chicken pasta and it tasted awful. We had to send it back. No flavor and soupy. Cllam chowder which came out with a hardened film on top. Wedge salad was good. The lava cake came out with almost all the ice cream melted.Special Features:
- AimeeDined on 10/28/2014Always a winner. Love this place! Dependable, great food and friendly staff.Special Features:
- DizeedizeeVIPDined on 10/27/2014The decor is getting tired, but I understand they will close in January for a few weeks in order to update. Our salads were very ordinary, although fresh. I'll plan to go back after the updates are done.
- Pleasant experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014This was my first time dining at Stephanie's. The menu offered something for everyone. My sister and I both had seafood dishes which were excellent. Our waiter was attentive and friendly. If I had to find fault with something maybe it would be the noise level which was a little high. All in all a very pleasant experience and I am likely to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was awesome.. We sat bothOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014The place was awesome! We sat both outside and inside the same night. The staff was flexible which made them great.. My only regret was that I didn't leave a larger tipSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingFloridaGalDined on 10/22/2014We were seated on time. Our server was friendly, but forgot to bring our wine order until after we were done with our appetizers. Soup was lukewarm. Entrees were brought before we had finished our appetizers- we asked them to take them back and serve them at the appropriate time. Server said mac and cheese was voted best in Boston, but I found it average at best. My husband said his cod was okay, but not great. Manager walked around room, but did not stop at our table to ask us about the food and service. When we asked to have a cab called, employee said we should just go "around the corner" to a nearby hotel where cabs were waiting. It was about 2 blocks away, and it was raining and windy! The valet was kind enough to hail a cab for us.
- Surprising!JAAFVIPDined on 10/19/2014Once you are inside it is a different world. Food is excellent, service is very good.Special Features:
- OKJohnDined on 10/18/2014OK but nothing to write home about. Meatloaf was dry (good thing it had gravy!) and I think there should have been 3 lamb chops on the plate. Only 2 appeared and they were extremely small. Not worth $32. But the drinks were good and the place was lively.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/17/2014Another GREAT experience dining at Stephanie's! The service and food were terrific! Lunch outside on Newbury Street can't be beat! The manager, Mike, bends over backward to please! Looking for more beautiful days to dine in the patio!Special Features:
- Place to be seenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Stephanie's is good for people who find it important to A) Be seen there, B) feel that it's important to let other like-minded people know that you're at Stephanie's and C) eat average food.Special Features:
- Pleasently surprised!luvtodineDined on 10/17/2014Food was delicious and very fresh! I had the fish sandwich.. It was done perfectly!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeSalaciousCrumbDined on 10/15/2014If you're urbane or provincial, you will love Stephanie's. The food is excellent, the atmosphere is posh but the people are actually friendly and make you feel at home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/15/2014great location, maybe a bit lax in their care of guests/attention to detail of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last outdoor before winterJP1817Dined on 10/13/2014My party dined outside on the patio, good food and attentive wait staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as great as beforeDelightedDinerVIPDined on 10/13/2014Loved this restaurant when I first went but the tenderloin salad has definitely gone downhill and the service isn't as attentive. Not bad, just not memorable either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/12/2014Good pancakes but unimpressive egg dishes; restaurant was out of certain specialty drinks and unable to accomodate a gluten-free guest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must try Mac and CheeseTXGalVIPDined on 10/11/2014The best Mac and Cheese ever! Also had the meatloaf. Great comfort food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyBabs10VIPDined on 10/11/2014My cousin and I went for lunch on a Saturday. It was very noisy but fortunately we were seated at the far end of the restaurant, so it was a little easier to talk. Once the crowd thinned out, it was very pleasant. Food was excellent, service was good, given the crowd. Definitely recommend, perhaps for a late lunch when it isn't so crowded.Special Features:
- Always great food and drinks!PollyDined on 10/7/2014I really enjoy going to Stephanie's With friends. Nice atmosphere , delicious drinks and ahhhhhhh the comfort food! I love the meatloaf and also mac and cheese. The other day I had a burger there and it was cooked rare (hard to get in a burger)and it was exceptional. My drink was something I now will make for myself at home as it was so refreshing . The desserts are huge but I did manage to eat almost half! Service could have been a wee more attentive but they were busy:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieDined on 10/6/2014Service very friendly. Food artfully presented but bland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Stephanies!eatoutoftenDined on 10/5/2014A staple on Newbury. great food and great people watching (inside and out)!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/26/2014The perfect back drop for a summer lunch in September on Newbury Street! Mike Coyne, the manager, ensured a perfect surrounding for a delicious lunch-the tuna burger is scrumptious! Hoping to get a few more summer lunches in before the snow hit! Thank you Stephanies!Special Features:
- Nice meal in BostonKellieinOttawaDined on 9/25/2014My mom and I found a few online recommendations for Stephanie's and decided it was a nice spot for our first night of a four night weekend visit to Boston. It didn't disappoint. It was lively and the menu selection was good. Our meal was very nice - nothing too trendy, but interesting. The decor and ambiance are a a bit on the "done already" side - nothing interesting or new, but it worked. Service was good - friendly enough. A few days later, we walked by at brunch and the food looked great and the patio was packed. Would go again to check it out.Special Features:
- Failed with "fly"-ing colorspartyplannerDined on 9/25/2014There was a dead fly in my food... sitting right on top of the highest point of my chunky chicken salad-- like garnish. I was shocked! We had a party of 6 for a corporate celebratory lunch. I sat at the table awkwardly while everyone else ate for about 2 minutes. There was little apology. If I remember correctly, only the waiter said "Oh, a fly! YUMMY! Sorry about that." After the fly was addressed with the waiter, he took the dish, and a few minutes later, I was brought another chunky chicken salad. Edge of the dish was dirty. I was not asked if I wanted something different. Would you eat chicken salad right after you saw a dead fly sitting atop a pile of the same chicken salad? I barely touched my dish and STILL had to pay for it.Special Features:
- Very tasty salmon!GuidegirlDined on 9/23/2014A group of 4 gals having a very tasty dinner outside. My salmon was outstanding. Everyone was happy with their choices. To extend the outdoor season it would be great with heaters.Special Features:
- AmazingLibsDined on 9/23/2014Stephanies is still one of my favorite restaurants. Irish soda bread is by far one of my favorites and that's what they serve you with your dinner rolls. The waiters are even nice enough to pack up a couple extra with my leftovers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not worth making a reservationbaconloverDined on 9/21/2014I made a reservation from brunch and requested outside seating when I arrived. I was told it would be an additional 15 minute wait which was fine. 35 minutes later every party around me had been sat and people walking in off the street were sat ahead of me. Asked about it and was kind of brushed aside. NOt a great experience overall.Special Features:
- Lovely, though loudHappytoseeBostonDined on 9/20/2014A stroll in the neighborhood, easy access from our large hotel as a visitor. Yummy food, but we couldn't get a table outside and the inside was fairly dark and loud. Hard to visit and chat with others. Pleasant serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfort FoodCRPathinBostonDined on 9/19/2014Loved to dine here with my friends, thought it was a little bit pricey, but the quality of the food was amazing!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So So Experiencemarshside01Dined on 9/15/2014Overall, we were disappointed in the food experience. Dishes were so so. Given the price, not a good value. Better options on Newbury Street.Special Features:
- No ClassBFoodieDined on 9/14/2014We booked a reservation for our anniversary on a Sunday evening. The place was packed and loud (which is acceptable, because it's Boston), but we were seated right next to the kitchen busing pit. Then the waiter took almost ten minutes before he even greeted us. His greeting, "You want water." He said. When he returned with our water, I asked him to tell us about the place, because it was our first time at Stephi's, he responded that it is a restaurant that a lot of people know about, and then pointed out our dinner menu and wine list. We got up and left.
- Ok brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/14/2014The location and outdoor dining are top notch. Our brunch started with the hostess who was not only unfriendly but rude until I was able to verbalized that we had a reservation. Our server was training and could have used a little more guidance. The bloody Mary's and the Bloody Mary menu were sensational . The brunch menu was varied and looked exciting. Everyone in are party agreed the food was good but nothing special. Lots of choices in the back bay, would not go back to Stephanie 's, just to avoid the hostess.Special Features:
- Another great time at Stephanie'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Food was great, service was good. Always a good time with a group.Special Features:
- Good food, good timeAboutTownDined on 9/13/2014I dined with five friends and we all ordered different meal. We all loved our food. The service was excellent. I look forward to dining there again soon.Special Features:
- Great street location and diningBrianVIPDined on 9/13/2014Great patio outside and people watching. Decent wine selection. Food entrees were very good to excellent (I had the trout). Only comment was the side dishes were overwhelmed with too much tomato like marinara that drowned out the vegetables, etcSpecial Features:
- Very disappointingSCFoodieDined on 9/12/2014When we asked what was good for dinner, we were told "people really like the burger and the salads..." Uh oh...While it wasn't her intent, I took it as a warning to pass on the lamb chops, the Arctic char or the lobster pot pie. So, we settled for a congealed bowl of chowder which may have happened while I waited to flag down my waitress for a spoon, The mealy tuna tartar and the highly recommended salad, all were subpar. The wine list was similar to the meal as it was filled with big production grocery store wines. In short, don't do it.
- Overall very goodnjgalinwtVIPDined on 9/12/2014We had a good booth seat inside as outside dining was very crowded (and it was a bit chilly). We had a 7:30 reservation but they were able to seat us at 7. Waitress was very efficient. The appetizer (spinach and artichoke dip) was excellent. I had the burger (great), while my husband had the meatloaf which he didn't love. We'll likely go again but try different items.Special Features:
- DisapointedJannieVIPDined on 9/9/2014Was highly recommended...food just ok. Service very good. Place is dated...nothing special. Too bad. Great locationSpecial Features:
- Cosy but darkSafiriniDKDined on 9/9/2014Nice food and service, although very dark lighting in the evening - difficult for us to read menu, see food and each other.