Stellar - Greenville
20 N Main Street
Greenville, SC 29601Neighborhood:
Modern EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
Stellar - Greenville
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.stellarwinebar.com/
- Phone: (864) 438-4954
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour Monday-Friday 4pm-7pm
Dinner Monday through Friday 5pm - Midnight
Dinner Saturday, Sunday 3pm - Midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, Wine Bar, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Jennifer Barone
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Offer catering for parties from 15 to 300 guests.
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate private onsite parties up to 80 guests. Near by off-site facilities available for up to 300 guests. Contact Tim Robinson at 864-438-4954
- Private Party Contact: Tim Robinson 8644384954x
- Special Events: We can accommodate private onsite parties up to 80 guests. Near by off-site facilities available for up to 300 guests. Contact Tim Robinson at 864-438-4954
A word from Stellar - Greenville
Hovering above Main Street in beautiful downtown Greenville is Stellar Restaurant and Wine Bar. Incorporating a sleek starlit bar, fiber optic lights, and hand-painted mural spanning the ceiling, Stellar's ambience is just the beginning of a truly unique dining experience. Come check out our constantly evolving wine list with more than 80 wines by the glass, 2.5 ounce tastings, and many more by the bottle, perfect for the novice or enthusiast. Stellar features an inventive menu that includes an array of small plates, appetizers, and entrees made using only the freshest and highest-quality ingredients. Even if you dine elsewhere, visit Stellar afterwards for one of our coffee cocktails, Chocolate Fondue, or one of our many other in-house crafted desserts.Continued
When making reservations, always be sure to call should it appear that we do not have the times or party sizes you would like available.
When making reservations, always be sure to call should it appear that we do not have the times or party sizes you would like available.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Stellar - Greenville - Best Restaurants in Greenville ›
Stellar - Greenville reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (10)notable wine list (10)late-night find (8)special occasion (7)romantic (6)neighborhood gem (6)vibrant bar scene (4)hot spot (3)great for lunch (2)good for groups (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great food, slow serviceLAC1987Dined on 11/15/2014While the food and wine were wonderful, service was so slow we almost missed the show we were attending. Beautiful ceilings with twinkling stars. Wish they had tablecloths or something to bring down the noise level.Special Features:
- Stellar diningjhyphenmDined on 10/26/2014My wife and I were happy to find another restaruant that was open on Sunday's and decided to give it a try. We were pleasantly surprised to find a great location downtown, with good wine choices and great food. Stellar is great during football season as they have 2 large tv' sin the bar area (we sat in the corner at the end of the bar). It's nice to be able to watch a game and not be stuck with lousy bar food and a special on a bucket of bud light. Thanks Stellar we will be back in a couple of Sunday's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner in The BarOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/24/2014Started in the bar with cocktails and three small platesof food. All were excellent. Matt, our bartender put us at the best table in the bar overlooking Main Street and with that view we decided to remain there for our dinner as well. Matt helped us select entrees and wine and our dinner was great. Braised veal short ribs was a new delight. The only drawback to dining here is no one seems to go. Their dining room was completely empty the entire time we were there. The bar did start to hop about the time we finished dinner and took our leave....about 9:30 pm. We were here on a Wednesday night, perhaps there is more activity on the week-end nights.
- First time pleasureJudyLouVIPDined on 8/30/2014Stellar Wine Bar was recommended by a friend so this was our first time, but it won't be our last. My husband had the snapper special and said it couldn't have been done better and I had the gnocchi with goat cheese and mushrooms...yum, if you like gnocchi! There was a big Georgia vs Clemson game the night we went but since the dining room was relatively empty, it was pretty quiet. I'm not so sure how it would be on a packed night....but I'm sure we'll find out.Special Features:
- Excellent food!LaurieDined on 8/23/2014Food was good, although, I do wish there was a non-fried fish option. Spinach and Beets salad was amazing! Great wine list. Air Conditioning was out this night, making it loud with fans, but food was so good, that I'm still glad we went.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a bit disappoitingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/20/2014We have eaten at Stellar several times, and it has been a real favorite for us. Wednesday was our 32nd anniversary, so we made reservations at Stellar for our special night. I ordered a $10 glass of wine, and the waiter came back to the table and said that they did not have that wine and suggested another. When we got the bill, there was a $14 charge for the wine. We ordered salads and they came AFTER our entrees were served. I had to ask where they were when the entrees came. No explanation, no apology. The food, usually outstanding, was mediocre at best. What a disappointment.
- Great Happy Hour!GATORDined on 8/14/2014The food and wine were all delicious! Impressed with the amount of food you get on the small plates.
- Great, As AlwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/13/2014This is one of my two favorite restaurants because of the menu, location and ambience. Great evening with a group of 8.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommend highly!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014Duck tacos! Filet! Truffle mac & cheese!! And fantastic wine specials 4-7!!!! Go now :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 107 reviews are from the Stellar - Greenville reviews archive.
- Stellar -- Lives up to it's nameHmpianogirlDined on 7/20/2014I'm ways impressed every time I dine at Stellar. There's always something new, the staff is always personable, and the food and wine pairings (no matter what you get) are impecable. The atmosphere is laid back while sophisticated, and the view is gorgeous no matter where you sit. Simply Stellar, everytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, drinks & servicePalmettoGirl73Dined on 7/18/2014As always, the food, drinks & service at Stellar were awesome. We had a group of girls & the small plates were perfect for all of us to share. This place never disappoints. They also have the most awesome filet for someone who wants more of a hearty meal.Special Features:
- Good findTDMMDined on 7/17/2014Restaurant is on 2nd floor overlooking Main Street. We went early - 7pm on a Thursday night. Nice bar. Comfortable seating. The bartender/waiter was helpful in selecting our dining choices. We went with a few small plates to share. Nice variety and well prepared. Inexpensive wine list as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so so food, horrible service.richierichDined on 6/29/2014We tried several dishes off the menu plus the trout special. All were just so-so. But nothing makes up for the horrible service and long wait time on a sunday night when the restaurant was nearly empty. I had to ask 3 different times to have water glasses filled. No one ever came to check on us or ask if we needed anything throughout the long night. Stellar absolutely set the bar way too high for themselves when they chose their name. Hardly stellar, not close by a mile.
- Stellar EveningDavidAtlGAVIPDined on 6/28/2014We spend the occasional weekend in Greenville (visiting from Atlanta) and make sure to try one of the many wonderful restaurants that downtown Greenville has to offer. This past Saturday, it was Stellar! We loved the small plates; there are many options and each one we tried was fantastic! Everything we had was wonderful. In addition, our server, Matt, made the whole evening even more enjoyable. Matt was informative, knowledgeable and extremely pleasant. We would recommend Stellar to anyone wanting to enjoy a little of this and a little of that!Special Features:
- Terrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014We were only checked on four times in the whole 2 hours we were there, and three of those times were me getting their attention.
- Good foodAnnhVIPDined on 6/10/2014We had dinner there with another couple. We all had something different and everyone cleaned their plate. I had the duck tacos and they were delicious. The service was friendly and informative. We were the only people there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dining experience at StellarGearoidinVIPDined on 5/16/2014We had a corner table, six of us, and were very happy with the food, drinks, and service. It was a great place to get together, and not too noisy, so we could chat. The brie plate was delicious. Honestly don't remember the other dishes but it was all tasty and great. And we had a couple of cocktails, wine, and beer. The service was relaxed but attentive; we had everything we needed. Very happy with this experience and would definitely go there again.Special Features:
- Great place!VioletmlDined on 5/11/2014This is one of our favorite spots. Our first trip to stellar was when we got engaged. We have celebrated several special occassions since then. We most recently celebrated our 3rd anniversary. The food is always great,and the service excellent. They frequently do something special. For mother's day this year they gave out roses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Stellar dining experiencegapcreekgourmetDined on 5/9/2014Stellar chef, Jennifer Baron, is a master of flavor and texture. Her Fried Tuna is out of this world. And the house Sangria is a must. We are in love! Ask for a table overlooking Main Street!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stellar Experience at StellarDaniDined on 4/27/2014Enjoyed great food and wine at Stellar in downtown Greenville. Fantastic appetizers, entrees and salads. Excellent wine choices. Manager Matt chose a perfect wine for us!Special Features:
- EhjvinscDined on 4/25/2014My expectations may have been too high. This was our first time. We went up to the 2nd floor and there really wasn't much going on inside the place, and it was 7:45 PM on Friday. Tons of people on Main Street, but not inside this restaurant. We had a nice view of Main Street from our table. We were served a complimentary pour on the street level (before we walked upstairs). A pretty decent Petit Sirah, but it must have been served at about 75-80 degrees. Didn't fill me full of hope about the wine experience. We may go back, but only after we check out many other places we've not tried.Special Features:
- Fabulous, Quaint Find in GreenvilleteacheatprayDined on 4/23/2014LOVED this restaurant!! Went for the first time this week and couldn't be happier with our experience. We enjoyed almond crusted calamari as an appetizer and then goat cheese, asparagus, and mushroom gnocchi as our meals for dinner... all was to die for!! Gnocchi must have been homemade that day in the restaurant... it melted in your mouth. Definitely a place for foodies, not picky eaters, as the menu is quite refined. Our drinks were also fantastic and there was a great selection of wine. Great service from our waiter - we were able to enjoy a nice, slow meal while also being attended to when needed. We will definitely be back and would recommend this to anyone for a great date night or special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely AwesomePickyDinerDined on 3/21/2014My wife and I dined here for our wedding Anniversary, and it was wonderful. The food, the service, and ambiance...everything was great. We will be returning...SOON!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was great fromColttrevDined on 2/22/2014Everything was great from food to service would recommend highlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Wonderful but not worth waitShelbyDined on 2/15/2014Arrived at 7:45 for 8:00 reservation, couldn't be seated. No problem I understand we were early. Arrive back at 8:00. 10 minute wait at door where no one even bothered to look at us. Seated. Another 10 minutes to get our drink order. Another 15 minutes to be told they were out of mix-ins for cocktails. 10 more minutes to get sodas. 30 more minutes later we order appetizer. Arrives 20 minutes later. Order dinner after another 45 minutes. Arrives 30 minutes later. Did I mention when our server came back to us to check how things were? Oh right, he didn't, we got a drink refill from the hostess. Waiting happens, so acknowledge it and then do better in another area. At least check on your guests! Really!
- Food was a huge disappointment.ReviewerDined on 2/15/2014Food was a huge disappointment. I'd been there for appetizers so was expecting some consistency but the entrees on a recent visit were expensive,small and tasteless. Won't be going back.
- Not impressedWatsonDined on 2/15/2014Decided to have late Valentine's night out on Saturday, and wanted to try something new. Despite having reservations, we were seated in what can only be described as the foyer, right inside the entrance and next to hostess station, and next to a very loud group of 6. Asked for better seating but was told none was available. So much for reservations. Failed to cook my wife's steak well done even after being told to butterfly it, which they did not. Barely better after sending it back, wife ate the edges, center was still very pink. Ordered creme brulee, and had to ask for spoons. Waiter/bartender was very good and made very nice wine suggestions. Probably wouldn't go back.
- Not enoughjonboyDined on 2/15/2014We had a good time I guess. Service was slow. And the food cost way much for the amount you receive.Special Features:
- always gooddapperdanDined on 2/14/2014I think Stella's management/ownership may have changed over the past few years at some point. The first time my wife and I went we fell in love with the ambiance. The ceiling and fiber optic lights like stars makes it a really cool for a couple. The service is good and the wine list pretty stellar (har). The food in the past couple visits has been pretty good, almost superb but I think it depends on what you order. For Valentine's Day the music was too loud and it was too bright but maybe someone said something because at some point both lowered and it was much more comfortable. Anyway, it happens to be one our favorite places and we'll always enjoy the overall package.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the Wait, But Just BarelyBarryDined on 2/14/2014I was fortunate to book a 9:15 Valentine's Day dinner at Stellar. We arrived just after 9 and were told it might be about a 15 minute wait, so we sat at the bar and enjoyed two recommendations from their exhaustive win list. Good thing the wine was terrific, because we weren't seated until more than an hour after our reservation time! A little miffed, we settled in for what turned out to be a fabulous meal, expertly prepared and served with tremendous attention to my wife's special dietary needs. Portions were modest -- apparently Stellar's "small plate" approach carries over to their entrees -- but the prices were reasonable and the food was delicious. We'll be back . . . just not on the busiest dining out night of the year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as it used to beLadyLeeDined on 2/14/2014Stellar used to be my favorite tapas place in downtown Greenville. Friday night I ate there for the first time in over a year and I was very disappointed. While I know that tapas are small portions, this was ridiculous. The calamari used to be the best item on the menu. Not so anymore. There were like 6 pieces on the plate. The hummus had plenty of pita bread but not enough hummus. The wine selection is great, but don't go for the food. Our server was awesome!
- Unfortunately Poor ExperienceboulderdashDined on 2/14/2014I've spent more time talking about my experience in this restaurant in the last few days than I'd like to admit. It was a poor experience. We went on Valentine's Day and the restaurant was clearly not prepared for the busy night. Our server took about 10 minutes to greet us. They were out of 3 of the different by-the-glass wines that I asked for throughout the night. The server was absent throughout a large portion of the meal, obviously overwhelmed. The food was good. Hot food hot, cold food cold. Good portion sizes. Overall very satisfied with the meal in itself. The service and management was clearly lacking and that really affected our experience. I really liked this place for the ambiance and wine list but I probably will not be back.Special Features:
- Lots of energyHassieDined on 2/14/2014Service was a little slow - but not for lack of effort. They seemed a little understaffed, possibly because of the weather? Two servers for 15 tables was stretching them a little thin. But the folks were very friendly and did their level best. Food was outstanding!!! Atmosphere was great. We were seated exactly on time for our reservation, which was amazing given how busy they were.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but slowchuckydDined on 2/14/2014The restaurant is crammed into a second floor space on Main Street. Because our table was close to the door and the hostess table, we felt we were part of the staff. Maybe our reservation through Open Table is only for the worst tables. The server came around with the drink lists, and then it was so long before we saw him again, we had to review the lists again to recall what we wanted. The salad was good, but I forget what it was called. The tenderloin wrapped in bacon was excellent. I have had only one other steak in this area that was better. The desserts, cheesecake s'more and Apple/Maple creme brulee, were disappointing. It was disappointing to see that a restaurant in this price range had multiple TVs visible from every table.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely Going BackOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014This restaurant has really great staff. They are attentive without being overbearing. The food was amazing except for the dessert. We had the cheesecake that was a special for Valentine's Day. It tasted very very salty (just a little too much for my taste). However, I know that some people like their cheesecake this way. Overall, great restaurant and definitely returning, especially to try the Brunch! Also, my wife got a beautiful rose at the end of the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit & MissDclegalDined on 2/14/2014Overall, food was very good, with 2 exceptions. The "cheese fondue" was bechamel sauce - 3 words: Gruyere, Kiersch, & nutmeg! Stick to The Melting Pot for this dish. The accoutrements were very good, fresh & great variety. Miss #2 was Valentines special S'mores Chocolate Cheesecake. The marshmallow top was wonderful as were the chocolate-covered cherries. Graham cracker crust was perfectly sweet & buttery. But the filling was horrible! To say perhaps the chef forgot the sugar is a huge understatement. I wasn't expecting a sugar-laden, overly-sweet dessert, but this was very sour - like soured milk. Otherwise, food was fantastic. Great wine list. Service was very slow. Sit in the front 1/2 of the place - better vibe. Back seems too casual.Special Features:
- I found the menu limited butOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014I found the menu limited but good appetizers. We had a wonderful waiter and he was great. We had to send our steak back, not cooked correctly, and he was very nice. Enjoyed the wine selection. I would not choose this restaurant often because of the lack of main menu items I found appealing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good atmosphereEngrdadVIPDined on 2/14/2014Food was very good. Wouldn't go so far as to say excellent but very good. We both got the filet mignon which was tender and cooked as ordered. Meat was tasty but the horse radish sauce made it much better. We also had the regular sized chocolate fondue for desert. Portion was pretty small (~2 melted dark chocolate bars) and some fruit and bread for dipping (mostly grapes). Luckily, my daughter and I were not very hungry so the size of the meal was fine for us. The one gripe I have is that we made it a point to tell our waitress that my daughter was very allergic to any type of tree nuts. This was actually stated on the menu to do this. Well, the bread that came with the chocolate fondue had walnuts in it. Glad we had benedry!Special Features:
- Good time on Valentine'sOenophiliacVIPDined on 2/14/2014The restaurant is pretty consistent over the times that I have eaten there. Wonderful wine specials, decent selection of cheeses on the cheese plate ( though the cheese portions are a bit small if sharing with parties larger than 2). Overall a nice night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely experienceSharoniDined on 2/6/2014The staff is very welcoming, knowledgeable about the food and wine and are always there right when you need them. We ate at our own pace, enjoyed our friends company and of course the food and wine. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.