1525 Washington St.
Boston, MA 02118Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bostonstella.com/
- Phone: (617) 247-7747
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Late Night: 11:00pm - 1:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Robin King
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Stella is participating in Restaurant Week (March 15 - 20 & March 22 - 27, 2009) for Dinner Sunday-Friday.
A word from Stella
Stella is a fantastic new Italian restaurant in Boston's hip SoWa neighborhood. Chef Evan Deluty is considered one of New England's most talented chefs. Evan and Candice Deluty celebrate the grand opening of their third restaurant, Stella.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Stella reviews from OpenTable diners
151 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (81)fit for foodies (63)vibrant bar scene (63)hot spot (61)great for outdoor dining (57)good for groups (44)special occasion (42)great for brunch (27)romantic (27)notable wine list (19)late-night find (12)great for lunch (8)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (3)Show More
- Rico's Thursday NightRicoVIPDined on 11/20/2014First time visit. Definitely a happening place with a high noise level but not over the top. They also have a smaller side room that is more quiet if you prefer a more private setting. Split some appies with my friend, including the crispy artichokes (tasty) and a nice light caesar salad. Then split the bolognese, which was very good (and I should know because I make a mean bolognese). Good service and an enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for the ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/19/2014This was a great place to bring a friend that was visiting from out of town. It's got a great vibe and atmosphere. Service was okay. Food was good but not amazing. Drinks were alright. But I enjoyed being in that environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingLB50Dined on 11/10/2014Had high hopes for dinner but was disappointed. First, it was very hot in the resturant, it was a cold night and they must have had the heat cranked up. It was very uncomfortable. The bigger issue was the food. I had the gnocchi. The gnocchi itself was very good, light, unfortunately the sauce was very salty. I could not finish it because of the excess salt. My son had speghetti with meatballs. It was so salty I could barely swallow it. My son ate about half, I offered to get him a new one but he said no. These seem like rookie mistakes for a chef to make. Did they not test the sauce before serving it??! There are so many great places to go in Boston, don't waste your time and money at Stella.
- Stellazeker1VIPDined on 11/8/2014Overall - we really enjoyed our evening. The food was terrific. We had an Arugala sale that was very fresh with a tasty light dressing and a delicious flat bread pizza made with fig preserve, prosciutto and cheese. My entree was a wonderful pasta dish-- orchiette with sausage meat , tomato and mozzarella. My wife had swordfish which she loved. Dessert-- pecan pie was OK but somewhat on the dry side. The service was friendly, informative and efficient. Well worth a return visit.Special Features:
- willtravel4foodDined on 11/8/2014We were in Boston for just 2 days. While searching for a restaurant for dinner before the symphony, I found Stella on a Boston Herald list - 20 Best Dishes in Boston. Included on the list was Stella's Duck hash –and we love duck. That hash was not on the menu but there were many other options. We had Bistecca Tartare, Caesar Salad and a Braised Short Ribs pizza. The salad was very good, the pizza and the tartare were exceptional. I noted the noise level as energetic...which it was, but in no way intrusive. It was a very comfortable place. Our server was knowledgeable and efficient and at the same time, friendly and casual. There is outdoor dining but not an option in November.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always lively and delicioussouthendloyalVIPDined on 11/7/2014Stella is always festive, has great drink and food variety, and consistent high quality. We had to have a quick meal so we mixed and matched appetizer courses, all of which were great. On previous occasions, we've had the main meals, which have also been excellent. The restaurant is lively and a bit loud, but conversation is still possible, especially if you're seated in the second room. It's perfect for a night out or the start of a longer evening. Highly recommended. PS There is great outdoor seating when the weather permits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for pastaChristinaVIPDined on 11/7/2014Went here the other night and ordered their homemade pasta, which was unreal! The waiter let me do two half orders because I couldn't decide and both were amazing. The portion sizes are so huge you could easily be satisfied by one half order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Fresh & FriendlyA3BostonVIPDined on 11/4/2014We love dining here as a family. Our 11 year old loves the pasta. My favorites are the mussel appetizer and always the fish. When dining out in the South End, Stella’s is always a winner and if we dine early, they can usually accommodate our late minute reservation.Special Features:
- Great Italian in South EndOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/31/2014Stella is great for a date night or to visit with friends. It has a very cool atmosphere with great decor, and the bar scene is one of the best in South End. The food is fabulous - the best pasta dish is the bolognese, although you can't go wrong with any of them. The service can get a little backed up on a Friday or Saturday night, but generally isn't a huge issue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love this placequiettimboDined on 10/29/2014Stella is just a great place. Great drinks if you are looking for cocktails. The food is always great without being super expensive. I could go here every week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BostongirlDined on 10/26/2014Took a girlfriend for Sunday brunch for her birthday. Stella was recommended to me by a co-worker. The food and drinks were great and we had a fabulous time. Only comments are that it is very noisy (energetic) and the web site indicates there is valet parking but we found out they don't do that on weekends until 5:00. Would be nice to know that ahead of time. But found parking the area on the street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deafening loudScooterVIPDined on 10/26/2014We were seating in the middle of 3 or 4 large groups of women, all of whom delighted in talking over one another in the loudest possible voices imagineable. We couldn't wait to leave despite the tasty food and very nice waitress.Special Features:
- Saturday Night OutefwbostonDined on 10/25/2014The food her is great. Loved he gluten free menu. The noise level was loud. Made it difficult at times to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underwhelmingsherboston215Dined on 10/23/2014I have been to Stella once before about a year ago and it was great food with a fun, vibrant dining room. This time we were placed in a tight corner of a small room so the ambiance was lacking. The food was not as good as we remembered either. I had the spaghetti and meatballs and the pasta portion was huge - could have easily served 2 - but they only gave you 3 meatballs. Service was lacking. I sat with an empty wine glass and despite many glances to our table, our waitress never came to see if I wanted anything else. We finally had to flag her down after several minutes to ask for another drink.Special Features:
- Great, But...CaitlinDined on 10/22/2014Everything was great- only problem was the rude bartender. BUT, that would definitely not stop me from going back again.Special Features:
- Lovely food and lively environmentRebeccaDined on 10/22/2014Stella is the perfect neighborhood restaurant. There are always folks at the bar, you run into friends all the time and the staff is friendly and outgoing. The only small drawback is the noise level which in some ways gives it a vibrant vibe but can be difficult for conversation at your table. The food on this outing was very good. Our table selections ranged from spaghetti and meatballs, to salmon, to homemade gnocchi. Everyone thought their dishes were satisfying and delicious. The pizza's are also a treat and the salads all are good. You can have a full meal or enjoy and array of appetizers. If you want a fun night out surrounded by others who are totally enjoying themselves, this is the spot for you.LiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Stella is my go to spot whenever I am in the South End. The bartenders/drinks are amazing and the food is always delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenal!FoodieChickDined on 10/15/2014My friend and I found this cozy little gem online, looking for a great place on the Sound End! We arrived a half hour earlier than our Open Table reservation time and they were able to seat us immediately anyway. The hostess was so welcoming and friendly, the server was knowledgeable and attentive, and the food WAS BEYOND DELICIOUS!!!!!!!! I can't wait to go back! I highly recommend the appetizer spicy mussels in a saffron sauce and the honey glazed salmon!Special Features:
- Great South End SpotLivingInFranceDined on 10/11/2014Stella is a real find. The service is attentive and the food is delicious. There's also a good wine list. We started with the Caesar salad which was perfectly dressed. I had the swordfish which was beautifully cooked and came with a tasty sauce. My only criticism is that it was served with asparagus which aren't in season. One of other diners had the short ribs which were deliciously tender, richly sauced, and served with papardelle to mop up the sauce. This dish was an 'order again.' The third diner had a pizza which was also very good. We ended the evening lingering over a tasty fruit crostata and coffee. I emphasize "lingered over" because although the restaurant was full, our server told us to take our time. That made the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014There was good service, the food was excellent, It is a good spot to bring a date or also get together whith friends and family. overall good experienceSpecial Features:
- Great night at Stella's!!Layla2013Dined on 10/6/2014Recently had a birthday celebration dinner for 6. Had an early reservation and requested the room off the bar room and ended up having it all to ourselves for the evening!! Really made it a special night for all. Food is great our server was wonderful can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Noise Level Too HighTag4554Dined on 9/27/2014I went here on a date and we couldn't even hear each other talk. The seating was so close that the person in the table behind me kept banging into me. This was very uncomfortable. However the waiter was very good and responsive. My date made an error and ordered the chicken dish wrong. They replaced it with the dish she meant to order at no additional charge. Also the dish came out very fast. Nice touch! Too bad it was so crowded and noisy Every thing else was excellent.Special Features:
- Never DisappointsECharlesDined on 9/20/2014I have been to Stella a number of times and it Never Disappoints. It's a Great Atmosphere, Always Bustling, Managers and Wait Staff very attentive to your needs. Food is ALWAYS consistently excellent, wine list is superb. Seriously excellent Value for the Money. Evan is a Genius and Magician!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outside or bustNoNoiseNoNonsenseDined on 9/20/2014The inside was WAY too loud to carry on a dinner conversation but luckily a table opened up outside. The downside to that was our server also had tables inside so service was slow. The restaurant should really dedicate a server to a section not randomly assign tables. I would only go again if eating outside, hence I will not eat here in the winter. Food was great though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/14/2014The menu, atmosphere, service, and venue all make for a real nice dining experience.Special Features:
- Very disappointing BrunchCarmensensemanVIPDined on 9/14/2014Stuffy, crowded, and noisy serving marginal food. Nothing special here. Enough said!
- Food drowned out by noiseDCELoganVIPDined on 9/13/2014The food was good, if a bit salty, however the experience was very lacking. It was the first cold, rainy day of Fall, but we were so cold inside we had to keep our jackets on and were actually warmer when we got outside again. More importantly, it was so loud (we were in the second dining room) that my date and I had to yell to hear one another, and even then it was difficult. I would give the food another try, but will not be returning because of the overall experience.Special Features:
- Great Italian!njgalinwtVIPDined on 9/13/2014We loved our meal at Stella's. We had the pizza for an appetizer which was excellent. My husband had pasta while I had Chicken Milanese. Both were excellent and we left full and satisfied. The decor is very modern and wait staff very professional. But the prices were reasonable, even for the city. Highly recommend. Can't wait to go back and try other menu items.Special Features:
- Always a pleasureSandraDined on 9/12/2014We have been coming to Stella, from Rhode Island since 2010 and it never disappoints. The energy is always good, the staff attentive and the food spectacular. The menu appeals to a variety of tastes. We love the Marinated Beets / goat cheese salad, the Orecchiette pasta and many of the Grilled pizzas...the specialty drinks are a treat as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/11/2014We had an out of town guest in for the weekend so we wanted to take her to Stella after we picked her up from the airport. Everything was excellent as we expected. Great food and great fun, but we have to make special note of the outstanding service given by April at the bar where we ate dinner. It was extremely busy but she made us feel very relaxed and special. Very attentive, super friendly and fun. She made the night for us.Special Features:
- Best gnocchi everMyNameIsBarryDined on 9/10/2014Took the bf here for his birthday due to great things I had heard about the place. Stella did not disappoint. Service was attentive, courteous, and friendly. I had the BEST gnocchi of my life- so tender with the perfect level of richness. Bf had a salmon special that he deemed cooked to perfection. Ambience is nice enough for a date, yet laid back enough to relax. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/9/2014We've eaten at Stella's several times and always had a pleasant experience. This last time, however, was not up to their general standards. We had a 6:30 reservation. From the moment we sat down, we were rushed through our dining experience. Our waiter, while pleasant, must have come over and asked us if we were ready to order five times. Even after we told him we would need several minutes. They had us fed and out the door by 7:30. Not the relaxing dinner we were hoping to spend with our daughter. Also, the noise level was so loud, my husband missed most of the conversation (we're in our 50's so not hard of hearing). If we go back, we'll ask to sit outside. Noise is much more manageable. As expected, FOOD was first rate.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/7/2014Food is amazing here. Servers are a little snotty but still good and professional.Special Features:
- still our favorite in South Endchuckmac07VIPDined on 9/6/2014great setting, perfect bar, the best arugula salad anywhere, and wonderful pasta & fish selection. modern Italian done to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LacklusterVIPDined on 9/4/2014As always, great service and delectable food! WOO WOO!Special Features:
- Delicious dinning experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/4/2014It was a special occasion, but I would go back for any reason. Staff was very nice, good service and the food was great as well as drinks!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/2/2014Normally, I like Stella a lot, but this time it was so hot inside. They insisted their a/c was at maximum, but the temperature was unbearable and this, unfortunately made for a miserable dining out experience.
- Good quality food, but limited menuGwanderlustDined on 9/1/2014Husband and I sat outside because the ambiance seemed better there than in the noisy inside. We were allowed to split a pasta entree at no additional charge, which was very nice. The half portion pasta plus a shared appetizer was just right. The food was very good, but the menu seemed small with limited options overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a GemMikeDined on 8/27/2014Great food, ambiance, and service...Stella is consistently excellent. Fit for all occasions.Special Features:
- DarkKnightWKCVIPDined on 8/27/2014I haveliked Stella for years because of its ambiance and its coll late night bar scene. The food has been fine in the past, but I really enjoyed my swordfish this time on top of a warm corn salad. My only issue in this visit was the fact that my guest and I wanted to catch up for a bit and the restaurant was not that busy, but our waitress seemed to not want to hear or respect that and kept pushing us to the next segment of the meal. After compliying each time, we decided after the main course to not order dessert and walk to another local place to continue our conversation. Outside of this matter, I found Stella the nieghborhood gem it usually is!Special Features: