1525 Washington St.
Boston, MA 02118Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bostonstella.com/
- Phone: 6172477747
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Late Night: 11:00pm - 1:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Robin King
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Stella is participating in Restaurant Week (March 15 - 20 & March 22 - 27, 2009) for Dinner Sunday-Friday.
A word from Stella
Stella is a fantastic new Italian restaurant in Boston's hip SoWa neighborhood. Chef Evan Deluty is considered one of New England's most talented chefs. Evan and Candice Deluty celebrate the grand opening of their third restaurant, Stella.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Stella reviews from OpenTable diners
135 reviews since April 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (68)great for outdoor dining (59)vibrant bar scene (55)fit for foodies (51)hot spot (38)great for brunch (33)good for groups (32)special occasion (32)romantic (28)late-night find (15)notable wine list (10)scenic view (8)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Never disappointedGirlWhoEatsDined on 8/17/2014I love coming here for brunch and dinner. It's a favorite go-to spot to bring my out of town guests.Special Features:
- Brunch at the barAnonymousVIPDined on 8/10/2014I didn't get the his name, but the bartender was nice and put in the order correctly. My boyfriend's burger was slightly more cooked than requested, but still good. My steak and eggs were great. We always like Stella.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stellar Dining at StellaPastaLoverDined on 8/9/2014We had a great dinner at Stella! The waiter noted that we could get two half prices for the same price as a full pasta. This was fantastic and allowed us to try four different pastas. They were all great! I highly suggest this for some yummy Italian food.Special Features:
- Overall good but hard to hearNoisybutgoodDined on 8/7/2014Lively on a Thursday night! We sat in the second room which was filled with large parties. Our little party of 4 enjoyed the food, but could not hear each other over the din from the other tables.Special Features:
- Great overallPrinceVIPDined on 8/3/2014We sat outside and even with the cool weather it was a great dinner and we were not cold thanks to the blanket that he restaurant gives you. Dinner was delicious and the service was one of the best ever at Stella. The waiter was very attentive and very friendly. He even replaced an appetizer and a martini for free after one of my friend spilled it by accident. It was really a GREAT experience. And the terrace is always very nice for a dinner al fresco.Special Features:
- marjoVIPDined on 8/2/2014Great all around restaurant. Always a loud vibrant crowd with plenty of noise. They also have good food and a good wine list. what else can you want? We will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jackVIPDined on 7/27/2014Standard brunch fare at a reasonable price. This particular Sunday it was not very busy so service was fast.Special Features:
- Good but always loudMichDonVIPDined on 7/24/2014Stella is always good. We love the food but for some reason it is always loud...very loud. Hard to hear the person across from you. It was busy but not super busy. Oh well. We like the food and always nice service. We will keep going.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- South End GemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/24/2014Great vibe; food and drinks were excellent!! Outdoor option a plus! We booked on Open Table and got seated right away!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off nightOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/20/2014Lackluster food quality and presentation from an otherwise-reliable neighborhood venue. The foccacia was dry and stale, although the server was kind enough to find some that was "fresher", although that, too, was not even close to it's usual high quality. Entrees were lacking their usual standard quality; chicken cacciatore looked promising, but the chicken was cool, dry, and fairly flavorless despite nicely crisped skin. Chalking it up to a summer Sunday night B Team in the kitchen.
- Stella finaleMuzzieVIPDined on 7/20/2014After a very disappointing experience at Stella a few months ago, I decided to give it another try because the menu is great and the food quite good. Again, and for the last time, the service was awful. The waiter was completely disinterested in service, and had zero enthusiasm. Never stopped back to check on us. I had to waive down another waiter to order a second beverage, which our waiter brought, without saying a word. I'm done with Stella. There are plenty of places that make dining pleasant - not Stella!
- back to StellaB2B2Dined on 7/16/2014My wife and I have been eating at Stella's every 2 years over the past 12 years when we have made our pilgrimage to Boston. We have always remembered the food as being excellent, although noise level at the least "energetic". This July seemed not quite the same. Although the food was good, it was not singular. And, the noise level was deafening. This may be a measure of us aging rather than Stella's qualities. Regardless, we shall dine elsewhere in 2016.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/15/2014Nice ambiance with the dim lighting, but they still have the plastic chairs that get uncomfortable for a long dinner. Food was good but a little over salted, particularly the red sauce dishes. The linguine dish was delicious. The Milanese was nicely fried. Service was friendly and attentive with the right balance. There is outdoor patio sitting which is nice, although we opt to sit inside due to the humidity. I would go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TravisDined on 7/1/2014The AC was not working and we were not warned ahead of time. Once we got there they did not give us the option to sit outside or anything special despite the inconvenience of it being 90 degrees outside with no AC inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrible serviceChefmikey84VIPDined on 7/1/2014Food was amazing, fresh and full of flavor. The service was horrendous, over 20 minutes to get drinks with no apology. Will not come back ever especially w h en the north end in Boston has plenty of Italian places to eat. What a shame food was delicious.
- bad timingBadtimingVIPDined on 6/25/2014We tried Stella recently for my son's 18th birthday. There were 4 of us, sitting at an outside table. The server could hardly be bothered with us all night. First he ignored us for 15 minutes without asking if we would like a beverage. Then he finally took our orders after bringing drinks after another 30 minutes passed. The food arrived in decent time but there was confusion about who it was going to and the servers had a nasty moment between them, which resulted in snarky service to us. Even though someone replenished the water, our server couldn't bother asking if the adults needed refills on cocktails. Finally, I had asked the host to mention to our server about my son's birthday - didn't happen.Special Features:
- Noisyjs7417VIPDined on 6/21/2014OK, it was a Saturday night, but it was very noisy. The couple at the next table was yelling to be heard. Tables are close together, interior has little to absorb sound. Sidewalk dining appeared a much better choice, had we known.Special Features:
- Pleasant eveningjimsDined on 6/20/2014Stella is a neighborhood gem with an excellent menu that delivers. We saw families and couples on a recent Friday night - with excellent weather many people were eating outside and Stella had plenty of staff to handle a full house. The parmesan arancini was substantial with just the right amount of sauce, and the artichoke pizza and linguine with asparagus cream were great. Only one item disappointed - the tuna and salmon crudo misto appetizer was overwhelmed with lemon. The service was excellent - we'll go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for brunchAndyVIPDined on 6/15/2014great brunch, more of a gourmet brunch menu and less of a basic diner. clean, bright, and nice ambience, the bottomless coffee was a nice surprise, the French toast and fruit are delicious!Special Features:
- Good food, loud companycentralsqcamDined on 6/6/2014Delicious food - had mussels in white wine and saffron and an argula/artichoke pizza with horseradish aioli sauce. Everyone at the table thought the pizza was excellent. The main room of the restaurant on a Friday at 8pm was loud and echo-y. I'm not sure if they can add some materials or the walls to absorb the sound but you had to shout to each other; not the best for catching up with others. We asked to move outside to where it might be quieter, and the host graciously offered to move us to a back room (who knew it existed?). While this room was also echo-y, there were fewer people and no bar, so the noise level was better. The food and service was very good. If the noise level was lower it would improve the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place in the South EndPhilDined on 6/3/2014Stella is a great spot for good food at a reasonable price. Outdoor seating is a little tight and the chairs are not comfortable, but it's worth it.Special Features:
- Always wonderfuljulesterVIPDined on 5/31/2014One of our fave spots in Boston - halibut special was delicious - all cuisine is consistent for quality & innovation. Hotspot for cocktails before or after you dine. Make a res - main dining room can get pretty loud so ask for other dining room if that's a concern.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going downhillEG33VIPDined on 5/25/2014Stella has always been one of our favorite places but this visit was very disappointing. Everything took awhile, and the food which is usually excellent was only okay. Usually there is music playing but all we could hear was the screaming children at the table next to us which neither parents nor management did anything to mitigate. Perhaps the restaurant was not on its game because it was a holiday but I'm not sure that is a good reason for such a mediocre experience.
- Fabulous as usualMjant45Dined on 5/21/2014Took a visiting friend to Stella for dinner. Superior service, wonderful food and we had a blast. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad I tried itSueLDined on 5/20/2014The menu was a bit pricey and limited for a picky eater. Maybe one or two "plain" dishes could be added? My salmon with spaghetti squash was fabulous! Very clean and bright. Friendly, abundant staff so we didn't wait long for anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/19/2014Gnocci was a big soggy but everything else was pretty goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great from start to finishJuliaVIPDined on 5/17/2014The vibe is fun and appeals to all age groups. It can be loud, but we expected that. The food was great. Swordfish was cooked perfectly. Risotto was delicious. Kevin, our server, was attentive and clearly enjoyed his job. We will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always amazingBostonAASVIPDined on 5/16/2014Such great food, great staff, and amazing drinks!Special Features:
- Enjoyed my experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/16/2014Food was great, second time there and I would return. Trendy hot spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time a disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/11/2014Drinks are outstanding. The food is okay, not amazing, but the service destroyed the whole mood. 2.5 hours to dine there. Server never checked once we got our food. After appetizers had to ask for the salad and after salad has to ask for entree. It was almost 45 minutes after the salad before we had our entree. The communication between the server and his food runners fell apart, and the manager tried to show us the time stamps of when food was put in instead of just admitting that the whole experience just took too long. It's such a great location and has such potential, but if you go and visit, make sure to allow plenty of time. Granted it was busy but, they should have handled it better.Special Features:
- Awesome place!!AlexboyDined on 5/9/2014This is a pretty great restaurant! From food to martinis everything is just great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank youBirthdayDined on 5/4/2014My son enjoyed his birthday, I enjoyed also. Not real Italian as I expected more on the contemporary side, with an upscale yuppy Boston feel! That is a compliment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/4/2014I really like the ambience and food at Stella's. However, the service is not great. Have been here twice and the host/ hostesses are nice, but once you get to your table is not always a great experience. We had to wait a lot for the waiter, then some more for our drinks to come, including a really long time for a cup of coffee to arrive. It took the waiter a long time to take our order, and he was not that nice tto make us forget the wait...Special Features:
- still our favorite SE spotchuckmac07VIPDined on 5/3/2014great bar, nice modern Italian menu that's well executed and friendly servers. a great experience every timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014We were early to our reservation of 7 pm and were seated immediately. Our server was attentive and when there was a mistake with the drinks, he quickly returned with the correct order. The appetizers (Caesar salad and arancini) were excellent as were the pasta entrees we had (linguini, orricchiette and pappardelle); the pizza (4 mushrooms) was not good (too cheesy, not very many mushrooms). We were never rushed and enjoyed a leisurely dinner on a Friday evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1377 reviews are from the Stella reviews archive.
- Disappoint front of houseNotmyfirstrodeoDined on 4/27/2014I was disappointed by the front of house. I arrived and they claimed they did not have an opentable reservation in my name. They did give us a good table but I did not appreciate the face he made at me and the attitude of the maître d'. Food was fine, not stellar by fine.Special Features:
- great food on festive night!JaneVIPDined on 4/21/2014We were there on the evening of Marathon Monday and it was a festive, energetic, celebratory vibe. The food was great and our waiter was lovely. A great night. We'll be back.Special Features:
- We Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/20/2014Great for brunch! A little noisy but the food, service, drinks and everything were great!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/20/2014Did you mean Great for Bunch or Great for Brunch? Everything was top notch except for the noise level which would make me plan to eat outdoors the next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousLbos23Dined on 4/19/2014Just delicious. The cocktails are worth it. And, the wine list is not bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.