8630 Germantown Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19118Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.stellasera.com/
- Phone: (215) 248-1980
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm;
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Anis K
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: As another option for Sella Sera costumes we offer private dining for up to 60 people. Offsite cattering is also available upon request.
- Private Party Contact: Anis 2152481980
A word from Stella Sera
Stella Sera offers customers real Italian meals, specialized in a variety of homemade pastas and dessert. We also offer the freshest seafood, milk fed veal, free ranged chicken, etc. that is sure to satisfy your appetite. All of our dishes consist of locally grown fresh ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Stella Sera reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (29)fit for foodies (18)romantic (18)special occasion (16)good for groups (5)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- Italian with a twistShellBellDined on 11/8/2014This was our first time dining here and we weren't disappointed. The service and the food were both great and we appreciated the privacy that the table set-up offered. It is a small restaurant, however the tables weren't squeezed in as you find in most small restaurants. We appreciated that factor the most, as it very much affects the overall experience. The menu consists of classic Italian dishes with an inventive twist. The flourless chocolate cake was the most amazing thing ever.Special Features:
- Delightful mealJSENCVIPDined on 11/7/2014We were there a few nights ago and had an absolutely delicious meal. The artichoke heart appetizers were the best we have ever had and the veal dish was delectable. A very comfortable, enjoyable event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BYOBmiconDined on 10/25/2014This was our second visit.We were looking forward to enjoying the eggplant rollatini appetizer again, but it wasn't on the menu. The calamari and polenta appetizers, however, were just as delicious. We also thoroughly enjoyed our veal and duck entrees. Too full for dessert, though we would have made an exception for chocolate mousse, or something containing or topped with chocolate mousse. Pleasant staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HopefuloneDined on 10/25/2014Delicious food. Attentive service. Would have been nice to have a side stand for wines. Table was very crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Going BackOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014On a recent Sat. night our dining experience at Stella Sera was good, bad, and indifferent. The service was very good--informative and attentive wait staff. The noise level was totally unacceptable. With a full dining room, diners had to shout to make themselves heard--even the waiter was shouting. The decor is OK, but unforgettable. Likewise, the food was so-so. It was not bad and was served nicely, but certainly not worth the high price. Stella Sera would not last a month in Center City. Needless to say, we will not be returning.Special Features:
- Always exclentScoutDined on 10/17/2014Everything is always fresh and delicious! I am amazed that there is such variety,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeDiner123Dined on 10/12/2014Food was good and the atmosphere was quiet. Service was great. My only recommendation is that many of the vegetarian options listed on the menu online or not available on the menu in the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice BYOB optionCDGJWDined on 10/10/2014Our 5th anniversary dinner was a last-minute choice, and we were both extremely pleased. We have already recommended this place to everyone in the area. A good option for a neighborhood dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kleslieDined on 10/7/2014very serene, byob, excellent food, elegantly presented friend low keyed staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!SallyDined on 10/5/2014Great food, excellent service, comfortable, warm ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Bronzino was good but...KImperialeVIPDined on 10/3/2014The restaurant is very dark and unappealing. There were little bugs flying around all night and no air circulation.
- DanielVIPDined on 10/1/2014I thought the food was okay. However, when I got home I received a call from the restaurant accusing me of "stealing" their wine aerator which I happened to have complimented about it to them earlier in the evening. I was alarmed and shocked when I spoke to them and the gentleman said they had surveillance cameras all over the restaurant and I told them that I had not taken anything at all from the restaurant and it was preposterous and to please go ahead and look at their video camera tapes....he then apologized and said perhaps someone else took it after having already accused me doing something I did not do. I was very offended by this and I have never been treated like this and do not plan to go back there ever.
- greatGhazahDined on 9/30/2014The service was so sweet, very quiet Tuesday night so we had incredible service. The food was great, very great care to make every option delicious. The price was a bit much for a neighborhood restaurant, even if it's Chestnut Hill. I'd suggest slightly more reasonable pricing and get that place crowded at night. Very good overall!
- Stella Sera Never DisappointsBrieDined on 9/20/2014It is one of the most consistent restaurants I know--consistently outstanding, whether a quiet evening during the week or a busy Saturday. It offers high quality ingredients, artfully prepared along with knowledgeable, accommodating waiters. Last week, I had looked forward to one of Stella Sera's wonderfully-fresh fish dishes. When we arrived on Saturday evening and heard the specials, the preparation of the Bronzino didn't especially appeal to me. I asked if they could prepare it with a simple white wine, lemon and butter sauce. Their answer: Yes, of course. This is a restaurant that tries very hard to make its diners happy. In my opinion, it succeeds. I've visited, perhaps, six or seven times and look forward to going back.Special Features:
- A Real Find in Chestnut HillNWPhilaeaterDined on 9/18/2014Hidden away in a storefront at the top of Chestnut Hill, Stella Sera is a joy. The pastas are fresh, the marinara sauce tastes as if the tomatoes were freshly picked, the atmosphere is quiet and serene. This was our second visit to Stella Sera: the first time we went on a very busy Saturday night; the food was good but the kitchen seemed a little overwhelmed. We tried again on a weeknight, and are happy we did; the food was as good as before, and we had a better opportunity to appreciate our surroundings. We also like that it's a BYOB; if you forget to bring your own, the Wine and Spirits store is just across the street!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cheese with seafood?PescaraDined on 9/12/2014A true Italian would never have cheese with seafood!
- Charming & CozyBanjoman248Dined on 9/12/2014Charming little BYO at the Top of the Hill. Our server was friendly and attentive, despite having a full house halfway through our meal. We enjoyed everything we ordered, especially the arugula salad with lemon vinaigrette and the smoked trout & crab timbalo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food; disinterested staffRoxieDined on 9/6/2014Our party of six found the ambience of this small restaurant warm and comfortable. We all enjoyed our appetizers, our main courses and our desserts. What disappointed us greatly was the indifference of the staff. We were not greeted at the door with a hello or a smile and it took far too long for a server to ask if he could uncork our wine in this BYOB establishment. We all agreed that in spite of the fact that the food was well prepared and enjoyed by all, we would not return to this restaurant based on the indifference and uncaring attitude of the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great serviceKagooDined on 8/29/2014Pasta puttanesca (new on the menu), pasta Bolognese, and branzino (special) delicious. Great service -- very professional, attentive and friendly. You never feel rushed. And the noise level is low -- so you can actually have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vettaDined on 8/27/2014As usual, great food and good service. Still one of our favorite restaurants in Chestnut HillSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Nicely AppointedpoopsieDined on 8/26/2014Very nice! Excellent table setting. Food tasty and well-presented. Highly encourage this neighborhood gem be supported.Special Features:
- Nice findJodiDined on 8/24/2014we were pleasantly surprised to find the gem of Stella Sera. The food was excellent quality and delicious - definitely worth trying. The service was very friendly and attentive though at times the waiters seemed to disappear for long periods. We were in no rush so it didn't matter.Special Features:
- Outstanding Food & PreparationDrRonVIPDined on 8/19/2014Great evening with delicious food. Was wonderful. All items were cooked to perfection and the evening was enjoyed by all. Stella Sera prepares all of their food in-house and everything is made with a very special touch of sophistication. Excellent! Highly recommended...Special Features:
- A favorite BYOBahphilaVIPDined on 8/17/2014I order beet salads wherever I can find them, and Stella Sera's is one of the best I have ever had. I am so happy it is on the new menu, rather than a special, so I can go back and get it whenever I want! This is a lovely BYOB, and the service is kind and attentive and never intrusive. Though it is a simple storefront on Germantown Avenue, the ambience is great. The lighting is just right, the white tablecloths set an elegant mood, and the tables are perfectly spaced. There was a lot of garlic in my eggplant dish, so much that I think garlic should be listed as an ingredient on the menu so that diners are forewarned, but other than that it was a delicious dinner.Special Features:
- Glacial service, poor acousticsVisitorFromMKEDined on 8/16/2014In a nutshell, it was as many reviewers have described. The kitchen is very slow and there is nothing on the walls to deaden the sound of the other patrons. The risotto balls are wonderful and would be worth ordering on their own if it did not take half an hour to get them. The rest of the food was good but not spectacular. Portions are reasonable. The deserts looked fabulous, but we had no room to try them.
- Great SpecialFrequentDinerVIPDined on 8/9/2014The halibut special was excellent. The almond crust added an interesting taste and the fish was done perfectly.Special Features:
- The following 160 reviews are from the Stella Sera reviews archive.
- What a findOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014We read the reviews and took the advice to order dishes with their homemade pasta. It was fantastic! Great little neighborhood find!Special Features:
- outstandingLaDenDined on 7/18/2014From the time I walk in to the time I left the service was A plus. The food was so good that I didn't have room for dessert. I will be coming back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fourth visitBrieDined on 7/10/2014High quality, fresh ingredients. Creative recipes. Excellent (very professional) service. I love Stella Sera! PS Beautiful, immaculate powder roomSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went downhillLuc2dinsVIPDined on 7/6/2014I've been to Stella Sera two times before and it was very good. This time was not....the service was unknoedgable, and had me wait to find out what the specials were. The mozzarella di bufala was good however the oysters were not as fresh as they could've been. Also, the filet meatballs and spaghetti dish was so peppery it was unpalatable. I complained to the server and he didn't offer to fix yes situation. I will not recommend Stella Sera.Special Features:
- Really delish!DodieVIPDined on 6/21/2014We enjoyed another fabulous meal at Stella Sera on Sat night. Bronzino was excellent, pasta great and lamb divine! Wonderful little BYOB in Chestnut Hill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh just ok.serviceprofessionalDined on 6/13/2014I had high hopes for this place based on reviews. Cramped seating, tiny portions, and extremely slow service. I guess when they put on the menu, "everything is prepared to order, please allow us time" expect to sit and wait a long time for food. Many restaurants are a la minute these days, yet they can put out a dish in 20 minutes no problem. It's was our first time dining and it will be our last there.
- Perfect little quiet dinner!NewZagats2VIPDined on 6/11/2014Split an arugula salad with lemon, so refreshing! Had the homemade gnocchi but chose the pesto shrimp sauce instead! Delightful!! Then the halibut almond crusted special! When we arrived 4 people were leaving at the time sooo HAPPY about that Special! Amazing!! The server was too sweet!!1 Very accomodating and chef made us gorgeous plates! Very fresh! My friend said it was the BEST halibut he ever had in his life! :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent and wonderful BYOBBrieDined on 6/8/2014I first went to Stella Sera after I read a review by my very favorite chef in the whole world--he stated that Stella Sera was his favorite restaurant. After 3 visits, it's mine, too. The exquisitely-prepared food is complemented by knowledgeable, attentive, warm service. By my 2nd visit, I felt like a "regular." The 1st time I ordered chestnut pappardelle with mushrooms, onions and a bit of asiago cheese. It was divine. On my 2nd visit I had the fish special of the day, unbelievably fresh Branzino, simply prepared with lemon and olive oil and fileted tableside. I LOVED it. The 3rd time I chose trofie (a short, twisted, fat spaghetti) with shrimp, pinenuts, pesto and potatoes. Yum! This restaurant is a true gem! I'll return soon.Special Features:
- NormanVIPDined on 5/27/2014Been here 3 times and have been very pleased each time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "A True Gem"!!!!!Jbdawg5F89Dined on 5/16/2014The food is excellent,the appetizers and the entrees along with the pasta selection is to die for,you will not be sorry,great prices too. The service is top notch also,Jose was our waiter and he was very knowledgeable about the menu and the specials that the Restaraunt had to offer,we had a great time there and will definitely be going back!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic ItalianbruchayDined on 5/11/2014Great BYOB, with food on par with the best I encountered in Italy. While the interior has a bit of strip-mall feel, the overall dining experience is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superior Food QualityHowieFoodieDined on 5/3/2014I googled and lucked out with a great choice of home made pasta.Special Features:
- MCL8Dined on 5/3/2014Really great. Homemade pasta and many small-dish appetizers were amazing. Had the crusted Ahi Tuna and Polenta appetizers — I'd recommend trying both. Paezano was the best pasta dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chestnut Hill GemJN01Dined on 4/11/2014Stella Sera is worth the trip from central philly. excellant food, very helpful and friendly staff, we will go again on our next trip to that area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.