8630 Germantown Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19118Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.stellasera.com/
- Phone: 2152481980
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm;
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Anis K
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: As another option for Sella Sera costumes we offer private dining for up to 60 people. Offsite cattering is also available upon request.
- Private Party Contact: Anis 2152481980
A word from Stella Sera
Stella Sera offers customers real Italian meals, specialized in a variety of homemade pastas and dessert. We also offer the freshest seafood, milk fed veal, free ranged chicken, etc. that is sure to satisfy your appetite. All of our dishes consist of locally grown fresh ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Stella Sera - Best Restaurants in Chestnut Hill ›
Stella Sera reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (32)fit for foodies (21)romantic (16)special occasion (10)good for groups (8)late-night find (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- vettaDined on 8/27/2014As usual, great food and good service. Still one of our favorite restaurants in Chestnut HillSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Nicely AppointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/26/2014Very nice! Excellent table setting. Food tasty and well-presented. Highly encourage this neighborhood gem be supported.Special Features:
- Nice findJodiDined on 8/24/2014we were pleasantly surprised to find the gem of Stella Sera. The food was excellent quality and delicious - definitely worth trying. The service was very friendly and attentive though at times the waiters seemed to disappear for long periods. We were in no rush so it didn't matter.Special Features:
- Outstanding Food & PreparationDrRonVIPDined on 8/19/2014Great evening with delicious food. Was wonderful. All items were cooked to perfection and the evening was enjoyed by all. Stella Sera prepares all of their food in-house and everything is made with a very special touch of sophistication. Excellent! Highly recommended...Special Features:
- A favorite BYOBahphilaVIPDined on 8/17/2014I order beet salads wherever I can find them, and Stella Sera's is one of the best I have ever had. I am so happy it is on the new menu, rather than a special, so I can go back and get it whenever I want! This is a lovely BYOB, and the service is kind and attentive and never intrusive. Though it is a simple storefront on Germantown Avenue, the ambience is great. The lighting is just right, the white tablecloths set an elegant mood, and the tables are perfectly spaced. There was a lot of garlic in my eggplant dish, so much that I think garlic should be listed as an ingredient on the menu so that diners are forewarned, but other than that it was a delicious dinner.Special Features:
- Glacial service, poor acousticsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014In a nutshell, it was as many reviewers have described. The kitchen is very slow and there is nothing on the walls to deaden the sound of the other patrons. The risotto balls are wonderful and would be worth ordering on their own if it did not take half an hour to get them. The rest of the food was good but not spectacular. Portions are reasonable. The deserts looked fabulous, but we had no room to try them.
- Great SpecialFrequentDinerVIPDined on 8/9/2014The halibut special was excellent. The almond crust added an interesting taste and the fish was done perfectly.Special Features:
- What a findOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014We read the reviews and took the advice to order dishes with their homemade pasta. It was fantastic! Great little neighborhood find!Special Features:
- outstandingLaDenDined on 7/18/2014From the time I walk in to the time I left the service was A plus. The food was so good that I didn't have room for dessert. I will be coming back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fourth visitBrieDined on 7/10/2014High quality, fresh ingredients. Creative recipes. Excellent (very professional) service. I love Stella Sera! PS Beautiful, immaculate powder roomSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went downhillLuc2dinsVIPDined on 7/6/2014I've been to Stella Sera two times before and it was very good. This time was not....the service was unknoedgable, and had me wait to find out what the specials were. The mozzarella di bufala was good however the oysters were not as fresh as they could've been. Also, the filet meatballs and spaghetti dish was so peppery it was unpalatable. I complained to the server and he didn't offer to fix yes situation. I will not recommend Stella Sera.Special Features:
- Really delish!DodieVIPDined on 6/21/2014We enjoyed another fabulous meal at Stella Sera on Sat night. Bronzino was excellent, pasta great and lamb divine! Wonderful little BYOB in Chestnut Hill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh just ok.serviceprofessionalDined on 6/13/2014I had high hopes for this place based on reviews. Cramped seating, tiny portions, and extremely slow service. I guess when they put on the menu, "everything is prepared to order, please allow us time" expect to sit and wait a long time for food. Many restaurants are a la minute these days, yet they can put out a dish in 20 minutes no problem. It's was our first time dining and it will be our last there.
- Perfect little quiet dinner!NewZagats2VIPDined on 6/11/2014Split an arugula salad with lemon, so refreshing! Had the homemade gnocchi but chose the pesto shrimp sauce instead! Delightful!! Then the halibut almond crusted special! When we arrived 4 people were leaving at the time sooo HAPPY about that Special! Amazing!! The server was too sweet!!1 Very accomodating and chef made us gorgeous plates! Very fresh! My friend said it was the BEST halibut he ever had in his life! :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent and wonderful BYOBBrieDined on 6/8/2014I first went to Stella Sera after I read a review by my very favorite chef in the whole world--he stated that Stella Sera was his favorite restaurant. After 3 visits, it's mine, too. The exquisitely-prepared food is complemented by knowledgeable, attentive, warm service. By my 2nd visit, I felt like a "regular." The 1st time I ordered chestnut pappardelle with mushrooms, onions and a bit of asiago cheese. It was divine. On my 2nd visit I had the fish special of the day, unbelievably fresh Branzino, simply prepared with lemon and olive oil and fileted tableside. I LOVED it. The 3rd time I chose trofie (a short, twisted, fat spaghetti) with shrimp, pinenuts, pesto and potatoes. Yum! This restaurant is a true gem! I'll return soon.Special Features:
- NormanDined on 5/27/2014Been here 3 times and have been very pleased each time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "A True Gem"!!!!!Jbdawg5F89Dined on 5/16/2014The food is excellent,the appetizers and the entrees along with the pasta selection is to die for,you will not be sorry,great prices too. The service is top notch also,Jose was our waiter and he was very knowledgeable about the menu and the specials that the Restaraunt had to offer,we had a great time there and will definitely be going back!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic ItalianbruchayDined on 5/11/2014Great BYOB, with food on par with the best I encountered in Italy. While the interior has a bit of strip-mall feel, the overall dining experience is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superior Food QualityHowieFoodieDined on 5/3/2014I googled and lucked out with a great choice of home made pasta.Special Features:
- MCL8Dined on 5/3/2014Really great. Homemade pasta and many small-dish appetizers were amazing. Had the crusted Ahi Tuna and Polenta appetizers — I'd recommend trying both. Paezano was the best pasta dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 146 reviews are from the Stella Sera reviews archive.
- Chestnut Hill GemJN01Dined on 4/11/2014Stella Sera is worth the trip from central philly. excellant food, very helpful and friendly staff, we will go again on our next trip to that area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Many cuts above the rest!SightsingerVIPDined on 3/29/2014This is a wonderful restaurant! I would call the menu sophisticated and inventive without being outlandishly challenging. There's the standard Italian fare and there is Stella Sera. The pricing is fair too. Service is excellent too. Be aware that this is a small restaurant, and, when full, can be a bit noisy. However, we keep returning, and are never disappointed. Don't forget that it is BYOB!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Home made pasta and warm ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/27/2014We had another great meal with anise in the kitchen. Everything was perfection from the Caesars salad and buffalo mozzarella to the pappardelle with mushrooms as well as the spaghetti with meat sauce We always love dessert and the profiteroles were delicious. We love coming here as a couple or on our own and feel fortunate to have Stella sera in our neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They need to practice their mannersSamadhi8Dined on 3/22/2014We had a good dining experience. We live in the neighborhood. I was there with my husband and business clients. The food was excellent and service was good. Unfortunately, someone from the restaurant made a mistake that cost them a potentially good client- my husband paid the bill and we left. As we were walking home, a waiter (not ours) followed us out, bill in hand, to ask us if the service was adequate (implication: you didn't tip enough). Unless someone did not leave a tip or left something vastly inadequate like 10% or under, I don't think this is appropriate, no matter how respectfully it is done . It has never happened to me, and frankly, I was enormously embarrassed in front of my clients. It's the first and last time I dine there.
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/21/2014Staff was very unfriendly. Waited 30 minutes before we asked for water and bread. Food was okay but not as good as usual. Have eaten here several times and were happy with experience. Brought my family here for a special dinner and was very disappointed. The waiter was very unfriendly. Sadly we will not go back.
- Way overpriced, even for a byobSaladFanVIPDined on 3/15/2014Pasta dish was laughably small--priced as an entree, but portioned as an appetizer. Small dessert selection but all dishes tasted good, although the gelato was a bit frosty--like it had been in the freezer too long, or had melted and refroze. Didn't feel worth the price overall.
- excellent flavor, quality ingredntsBrisketloverDined on 3/13/2014We had appetizers and pastas -- the artichoke heart and rollantini appetizers were great starters. All dishes were delicious and distinctive, lived up to the menu's description. There would have been no room for entrees. Service was friendly and competent -- they even have a wine aerator for your BYO. Ambience is attractive wall art, soft lighting, linen tablecloths that are decrumbed after each course, good quality glassware; quiet makes for easy conversation. The lemon custard and lady fingers, whatever it was called, was a perfect topper-offer, shared by three.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average dinnerLeslieVIPDined on 3/8/2014The veal dish was good but nothing memorable. Ceasar Salad was average. My appetizer was good but too much sauce and butter on top of the attichokes. Very noisy and loud and could hear the next table's conversation more than the person I was sitting with. It was very expensive for dinner and would not go back.Special Features:
- OverallRobertDined on 3/1/2014Atmosphere pleasant and our wait person very attentive and gracious. Pasta bowls average, Caesar salad great, Veal Scallopini chewy but palletable, Duck very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday night at Stella seraOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/28/2014Friendly staff, knowledgeable and interesting maître d', good menu choices , more northern Italian than southern, moderately priced, BYOB makes it even more affordable, small enough to feel intimateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy ItaliansHappy4uDined on 2/22/2014We were entertaining guests from out of town and they were looking for good Italian food. We do not go out often so I used the Internet and found Stella Sera. We found Stella Sera to be outstanding. The food was prepared to perfection. . The restaurant was very busy the evening we were there but the service was terrific; each course served at precisely the right time. The menu provided just the right mount of courses so as not to be overwhelming. We would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overratedLouiseDined on 2/1/2014I expected a wonderful meal and it was mediocre at best. The vegetarian selection that my husband I chose was overly creamed and essentially two crepes filled with some spinach . Very unlike what we expected. The waiter was not very clear about the offerings. Our friends also were disappointed in their selections and had to send back their appetizer to be heated Our appetizer was excellent though, a smoked salmon, crabmeat combination. For the money, we could have done better, but liked the ambience a lot.
- Great food from scratchJW60Dined on 1/31/2014Every dish is individually prepared and it was apparent. The meat ball and the lump crab meat apps were great. All the pasta was fabulous. Only drawback is the room is smallish and the tables close together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/18/2014This was my recommendation for my birthday. It was not as I had experienced before. My friends said hostess/ waitress was rude before I arrived. Menu/ specials not exciting food just ok. My 3rd time here will not return.Special Features:
- I wrok in Chestnut Hill andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/14/2014I wrok in Chestnut Hill and have dined at Stella several times. I love to sit in the window and look out onto the Avenue in Chestnut Hill. The food is always fresh and well prepared; the service very attentive. I also like the BYOB. Will continue to go to Stella and have recommended the restaurant to many friends!Special Features:
- Delightful. Delicious.AlexDined on 1/11/2014We've enjoyed several evenings with friends at Stella Sera. The menu is excellent with delicious choices for everyone's preferences. The service is gracious, attentive, but inobstrusive. Great place to catch up with friends; we've never felt rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- stellaLarryDined on 1/9/2014Super dining. Tuna entree 1 1/4 inch thick, crusted, rare : the best tuna for a thick rare tuna steak loverSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding....not sure whyOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 1/4/2014Outstanding....not sure why I've missed this before when I'm looking for a Chestnut Hill restaurant. Going north, I turn at the corner before the restaurant so didn't actually drive my it in my travels...maybe that's why...but have looked online before for something nice in CH....so this was a great find! I measure an Italian restaurant by the veal and mine was EXCELLENT!! My friend had crab with linguine and thought it was excellent also...shrimp soup terrific!!! A pleasure for a nice occasion and was thoroughly enjoyed...no one rushed us on a Sat. night!!!!Special Features:
- Consistently goodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013I have been to Stella Sera a number of times and have always had a good experience. The only time it was not top notch to the entire party was when I took my elderly parents. This may be more because of my parents than the food or service. Last time I went was on New Year's Eve and even with the large crowd and limited menu the food was still wonderful and the service excellent. A bit noisy, however, but that could not be helped. The restaurant is BYOB and we did not bring wine. They offered us a complimentary glass of champagne or a champagne cocktail. It was lovely. In the past, they had a live guitarist on Fri nights and he is clearly a very accomplished musician. Unfortunately, he no longer plays on weekends and I do miss him.Special Features:
- New Year's Eve DinnerLovelyLadyDined on 12/31/2013This is the third or fourth year we have eaten at Stella Serra on New Year's Eve. We have never been disappointed. The food is beyond wonderful, and we always have an enjoyable time. I had the salmon with lobster risotto. It was absolutely delicious. The other three people in my party also very much enjoyed their meal. One had the chicken dish and the other the seafood medley. The fourth person had the Chilean sea bass. For dessert, everyone enjoyed the creme brulee or the flourless chocolate cake with vanilla gelato - both delizioso! Stella Serra is a can't miss place for dinner anytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.