1407 San Pablo Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94702Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.stellanonna.com/
- Phone: (510) 524-3400
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: W-F 11:00am-2:30pm
Dinner: S, W 5:30pm-9:00pm
Dinner: Th-F 5:30pm-10:00pm
Brunch: Sa-Su 10:00am-2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Californian
- Executive Chef: Tim Carlon
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Primarily box lunches, also party platters
A word from Stella Nonna
Comfort food with regional accents.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Stella Nonna - Best Restaurants in Berkeley ›
Stella Nonna reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (27)fit for foodies (15)kid-friendly (14)great for outdoor dining (13)good for groups (12)great for lunch (11)great for brunch (10)notable wine list (5)special occasion (5)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- nice addition to neighborhoodCondorDined on 11/9/2014tried out Stella for the first time, for a Sunday brunch. Interesting menu, with some unusual combos, good execution. Service OK, but not especially attentive. A bit pricey for the neighborhood, but 20% off on Weds. & Thurs. hits the right price point. Will recommend it to friends for that, or pleasant indoor/outdoor venue.Special Features:
- I'll come back soonwhomecookDined on 10/30/2014The food was good, our waiter was a prince and it was a pretty patio we sat outside on. We enjoyed it and it's a convenient spot to meet friends from Marin as a midpoint.Special Features:
- Wonderful fresh ingredientsOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 10/30/2014It is obvious the owners have put a great deal of attention to detail into the building out of this restaurant. Sophisticated and warm and inviting as well. wonderful patio for outdoor seating, separate bar area, seasonal changes in decor. I had the special pasta of the evening and it was excellent as was the salad. generous portions as well and very fresh ingredients. homemade dressings and bread. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but out of SoupTravelerVIPDined on 10/11/2014We had a reservation for 7pm and were among the first groups for dinner. The restaurant was already out of the only soup on the menu. The crab and artichoke dip was excellent although very limited on crab. The salmon and mac and cheese were very tasty. Skip the side of fries. The atmosphere and service are a pleasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The brunch, lunch, and diner placefoodjoyDined on 9/20/2014Great food you would want to eat again and again. I especially enjoy the croque monsieur for brunch. I've enjoyed everything ordered for brunch, lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- love it.PinpinellaDined on 9/19/2014Waiters are excellent. I go almost every week and I brought at least ten different people.See you next week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent once againHungarianCountDined on 9/19/2014We live in West Berkeley, and Stella Nona has been one of our go-to, special evening places for years. Birthdays (when they fall during the work week, thus eliminating fancy-schmancy options), out-of-town guests, etc. They have a patio, on which I've never eaten. Looks nice. It's also one of those places that's in an old garage space, meaning there are high ceilings and large windows, which can be raised or lowered incrementally. It makes for a lovely atmosphere. Menu is good, service is good. Sparkling water at the table with cut-off, sanded wine bottles as glasses. Nifty effect.Special Features:
- Great hidden spotmattsVIPDined on 9/7/2014Went for brunch. It's kind of hidden set back from the road. Great menu, bad if you're on a diet... We were seated for about 15 minutes before anyone came over for drink orders which was annoying but we quickly got over that with our great server Jessica. She was delightful and informative about the menu. Took her recommendation and got the fried chicken sandwich--- amazing! Also their fried chicken and waffles looked awesome. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodmeagainDined on 9/3/2014If you're going to put steak on your menu, you should have a better cut. It should be better prepared. Seasoning is always welcome. Also, medium rare is not well done. Chose the restaurant as a neighborhood gem. Disappointed.
- Nice mealpassion4foodDined on 8/31/2014Place was nearly empty while we were there. I did not see the patio, so no comment there. Food was very good in small to moderate portions. Service was fine. Some nice twists on comfy food, e.g., carnitas with mac n cheese stuffed chili pepper which I enjoyed. Crab and artichoke appetizer was rich but good. Two pasta dishes (vegan and carbonara) were well executed and enjoyed. Middle eastern platter was plentiful and good. Overall, we had a nice meal in a pleasant atmosphere. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/28/2014Friendly, warm atmosphere with attentive service. An interesting menu with good combination of American and Italian cuisine. Of our four, everyone liked their menu selections and liked having a full bar as well as wines and beer.Special Features:
- Lots of funRedClayKidDined on 8/22/2014Staff is great, cocktails delicious, food very good! What's wrong with this picture? Nothing! A great local restaurant, very welcoming and unassuming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent; good people; good foodnurealamDined on 8/20/2014We've been to Stella Nonna multiple times for lunch and for dinner. This time we introduced friends to it for the first time. The menu doesn't change much (or at all) but it is predictably good. Some Italian influence; some American. Pasta dishes, fried chicken, pork sandwich which are all good remain on the menu. We made a mistake in our wine choice but that's our problem. We rarely eat desserts but they look quite good. The folks who own this place have been in the catering business for quite a while and opening the restaurant seems to been a success. The outside area should be a real plus--we haven't eaten out there. This stretch of San Pablo does not have any parking issues at all. Definitely to be recommended.Special Features:
- Divine, delish dining 4 allFoodistaDined on 8/16/2014This was our 2nd visit to SN and we brought friends who enjoy good food as much as we do. All I can say is our 7:15 reservation was waiting and we enjoyed amazing goodies and talked for 3 hours! We had such a good time fueled by food and bev that the time flew by. Starting with an arugula salad and a beet salad - both perfectly dressed to each ones liking. The saltimbocca, pasta with creamy pesto, a ribs special, and the pasta carbonara were all excellent. Drinks all around we mixed and made perfectly. Def didn't need dessert but ordered a carrot cake and a poppyseed cake to share. You will not be disappointed in this place! Can't wait to go back to one of my new favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very goodowdyDined on 8/7/2014I have enjoyed lunch, happy hour and dinner at Stella Nonna. Food is excellent and the renovation of the Old Wilderness Exchange is great. My favorite experience was the hard cherry cider which I have never found anywhere else. I love that this is in my neighborhood and has a very neighborhood feel to it. Food is fresh and well prepared.Special Features:
- Great new neighborhood restaurant!anabananaVIPDined on 8/2/2014My husband and I were so happy when Stella Nonna arrived just around the corner from us! We watched them build the place and couldn't wait to try it. We were not disappointed! The food is really good - fresh pasta with delicious sauces. I ADORE the lamb bolognese which I order most of the time, so my review would be limited were it not for my husband. He has had the spaghetti carbonara (which I LOVED) with it's house smoked bacon, and recently he's had the chicken saltimbocca (wonderful!). We've tried several salads - last night we had the summer squash salad and it was fantastic. Really fresh, minty and lovely. The waiters are all friendly and efficient. Only complaint is that it can be a little noisy at dinner.... A gem anyway!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like the consistency!PandDSnipDined on 7/29/2014My family has enjoyed brunch and dinner at Stella many times and really enjoy it. The service is very friendly and quite attentive. The proportions are "healthy" so you won't go away hungry. I like the salmon, my husband loves the pastas and my daughter craves those juicy burgers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedToastDined on 7/27/2014The food was nothing special. I had eggs over easy with home fries. The home fries were good. Also a cheddar cheese biscuit that was served cold with no butter. The service was disinterested and bad. I had to ask for everything as no one asked us if we wanted anything or how was our meal. The patio was small and nothing special. We were given a table in a dark corner while there were nicer tables available. I will not go to this place again. There are many restaurants near where I live that have much better breakfasts.Special Features:
- Friendly neighborhood spot!ShaunDined on 7/25/2014Stello Nonna has become one of my "go to" spots in Berkeley if I want good food and service without sacrificing an arm and a leg! Thei have a varied menu-everything from a burger to chicken parmigana at reasoonable prices. The wait staff is friendly and the atmophere is casual-the perfect place for neighborhood dining!Special Features:
- The following 0 reviews are from the Stella Nonna reviews archive.